Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
NASA (http://nasaproracing.com/event) is also another great source of HPDE/TT/Racing events.

This weekend I'll be HPDEing at Summit Point Main during Hyperfest (http://www.hyper-fest.com/) :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Strangely enough some clubs will let convertibles run as long as they pass the broom test, i.e. if a stick from the top of your windshield to the top of your factory roll protection doesn't touch your helmet. Personally I think its a terrible idea but I'm not the liable one.

NASA typically runs HPDEs like this, but certain regions may not have HPDE4.

HPDE1 - Your first track days, instructor in the car, very unlikely to let you run solo, passing with pointbys in limited areas.
HPDE2 - You've got a few track days, instructor in the car but more likely to let you run solo after checking you out, passing with pointbys in limited areas.
HPDE3 - You've got some good experience. No instructor, passing with pointbys, more passing zones.
HPDE4 - Sometimes mixed with TT groups, lots of experience, no instructor, open passing.

You get a "passbook" that you keep with you from event to event, instructors fill out out and provide feedback as well as detail for your next instructor where you need coaching. Moving up from one group to the next is accomplished with a check ride where they evaluate you to see if your skills are sufficient for you to move up.

j3rkstore fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jun 14, 2012

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

nm posted:

If you're not in a convertible, open face.

Disregard this, get a full face with a visor.

Here's a video from this weekend at Summit Point, I bet he wishes his visor was down: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n8FBxS-00xU&hd=1

Overall it was another great weekend at Summit. Great weather and the temps weren't too bad. Quote of the weekend came as I was packing up: “Oh you’re leaving? That’s good; it’s embarrassing to point by FWD cars.” :v:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

c355n4 posted:

Toyo RA-1 is another treaded R-Comp tire for that list.

I run used, shaved RA-1s on track and love them. They're not as fast as Hoosiers, but they're cheaper and provide a lot of aural feedback, much like a street tire. They're also the stock tire for Honda Challenge which is the series I'd like to race in one day.

Moving to an r-comp tire isn't something I'd do immediately, as is noted earlier in the thread. You really need to take some time to iron out your bad driving habits before you can get the most out of the r-comp, and early on your money is much better spent on seat time rather than modifications to your car that will increase your learning curve.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you don't have a cage or roll bar I would advise against a fixed-back seat or harnesses. In my opinion its an all-or-nothing package for both passenger AND driver and yes that means it is expensive.

You should be able to find reclining seats that hold you in place better.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

This is beautiful. Kosei K1 club for life :hfive:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
A couple years ago I had a Lime Rock event cancelled because of snow :v:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

ColdPie posted:

Anyone here used Carbotech brakes? I bought a set of XP-8s for using a couple times a year at HPDEs. The official FAQ says you need to purchase new rotors to properly bed in and use the brakes. I'm wondering if that's mostly CYA BS or if it's worth the :20bux:. Reports on the Internet are conflicting, so I thought I'd turn to you trusty folks.

I've been running Carbotech XP-10s for a few years now and always change out the rotors when I get new pads. In my opinion proper bedding is essential no matter what pad you run.

Disclaimer: I use local auto store blanks so the rotors are pretty cheap.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Seriously don't buy OEM rotors, you're just going to trash them at the track anyways.

I can get a new set of fronts for $75. Honda life.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Anyone else going to NJMP with NASA this weekend? :v:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Anyone else going to Hyperfest at Summit Point this weekend?

:nws: ?? http://i.imgur.com/UNxB4h6.jpg

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Phone posted:

Welp, the Mid-Atlantic region just lost an icon: the Oak Tree at VIR has fallen.

This is beyond sad.

:smith:

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Sab669 posted:

Have any goons been to Watkins Glen in New York? I'm moving to Buffalo soon, looks like that's the only track that isn't just a stupid loving oval.

I love tracking at Watkins Glen late September/early October more than life itself. Its easily my favorite track in the northeast and is complex enough to keep you occupied for years. Make sure to stop by Seneca Lodge, there is a ton of motorsports history in the bar alone.

Also if you are going to be in Buffalo, Mosport isn't that far of a drive.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
A torque wrench for your lugs, which you should re-torque before every session.

If you don't already have one you should be able to borrow one from someone around you.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
Can I play?

Honda Challenge H2 build planned. B16A.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
If you don't have a soft pedal I wouldn't worry about it.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
http://www.longacreracing.com/catalog/item.asp?id=228&catid=8

Works well enough for me.

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier
I think she'll be ready for comp school :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

j3rkstore
Jan 28, 2009

L'esprit d'escalier

Getting down to the button up list with just over a week to go.

So far there's 10 in-class cars signed up for the first event :frogbon: