Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Anyone have experience with Hawk or G-LOC brand track pads for a heavy rear end car? My last two cars (miata, cayman) could just use oem poo poo because the miata weighs 40 pounds and the porsche pads were designed to get tracked in the first place. Now, however, I am driving a 3,800 pound stinger that probably can't get away with a high performance street pad. It seems my options are limited to Hawk's DTC line and G-LOC's R line. So I'm thinking

Front:
Hawk DTC-50 or
G-LOC R16

Rear:
Hawk DTC-30 or
G-LOC R12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Thank you for all the responses! Unfortunately the hawks or g-locs are literally my only options, not a lot of aftermarket choices. Is the R10 R8 combo livable on the street? I was planning on having to swap pads, but if I didn’t have to that would be nice

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

heffray posted:

Starting with R10 is fine, and if it's too loud you can swap down to GS-1. If you're doing events every month I'd probably stay on track pads, if it's 3 per year with big seasonal breaks it's nice to not sound like a bus.

G-Loc has a lot in common with Carbotech: some family members split off to form the new company, and the products are more alike than either is to most other brands. Bite is fine at low temperatures, dust is mild, and "easy to modulate and release" can also be described as "squishy" if you don't like them.

You may want to use the same compound front and rear if your ABS isn't dumb. Going lower on the rears is mostly for non-ABS cars.

Yeah, it'd be more of a 3 per year type deal than monthly events. Honestly the noise doesn't bother me, it'd be more if driving the car and stopping became an ordeal at street temperatures. Thanks for the info.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Nyyyoooooooooom :buddy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9nV4ziyZJp0

SUPER SERIOUS ELANTRA N TRACK REVIEW:

Course was NCM motorsport park, Bowling Green, KY.

Car was rock solid, sans literally my last lap, at which point it went into limp mode, or something? To be honest I'm not sure what happened, I was at redline about to shift to fourth, then the car cut power and would bounce off 4k revs like it was hitting the limiter. I don't know if this was 'limp mode' or what, there were no warnings on my gauges, no check engine light, no nothing. No further side effects from what I can tell, so I'm going to pretend like it never happened.

Three 20 minute sessions, temps were in the high 90's, car never overheated or felt like it was wearing out. Bone stock. Pilot 4's were great as far as my limited ability is concerned, but they inflated waayyyyy more due to temperature than I would expect. I rolled in at like 32 ish PSI and they were getting to 46-48 PSI during laps and losing all turn-in. You can induce over-steer in this car by liftoff/taping brakes in mid corner, which I did frequently at the beginning, because I have only ever driven RWD. I started to get the hang of it, using the gas to suck you INTO an apex is a very weird feeling. I am probably going to get a tune at some point to get rid of the octane learning this car does because it never gave me the advertised 20PSI boost despite having 93 octane in it at all times since I've bought it. Really dumb feature.

As for NCM itself, I really liked the track, but there is a, not sure what to call this, elongated(?) hairpin turn, turn #10, and I at no point figured out how to do this turn correctly. I felt like a moron through that one every time. This is the turn in question:

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

honda whisperer posted:

That's a lot of psi gain. How experienced are you with tracking cars?

intermediate I would say? Tracked an ND miata pretty frequently, did a few sessions with my Cayman S, didn't track my Stinger at all

this was my first time on this course in particular, so my mental bandwidth was pretty full, wasn't really monitoring tires during laps, only after. I took the air out and had a much better third session but session two I was sliding everywhere

Scionix fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jun 4, 2023

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

NitroSpazzz posted:

It's a fun track, fairly technical with some higher speed stuff. I ran it early 2019 with the locost and would like to get back.

10 is tricky and once you figure it out you're carrying way more speed into #12 which that picture doesn't show is blind and has a very wide track out section for a reason, plenty of pucker moments there.

I flew over #12 in my first session and almost pooped myself, can confirm

Other than #10, my main issue was you carry a ton of speed into two uphill braking zones where you can't see the end of the track/the start of the turn, and I found that really hard mentally. Was going WAY slower than I probably had to.

Scionix fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Jun 4, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

i own every Bionicle posted:

Maybe it was limiting boost due to high intake temps and track driving for safety. Does it give you 20 psi on a cool day with street driving?

No, it has never given me above 15. The owner’s manual has a whole procedure to help the car octane learn (constant speed between 70-80 for 5-10 minutes), but this has never worked for me.

The car actually never even got close to heat being an issue, which surprised me. The temps where you should start to let the car cool off are 275 on the oil and 250 on the engine, from what I’ve read, and I never really got close to those.

We had 3 20 minute sessions, with 40 minutes between each session, and the oil/engine temps were getting all the way back down to sub 200 between sessions, even at 95 degrees ambient