Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

Same, I gave up on caring about autocrossing my poo poo years ago because the wheel time vs total time commitment is absolutely awful.

Fourthing this. I did exactly one autocross and said WTF, I just spent my entire day here and had 6 minutes of on track time.

I used to live near Pitt Race but now I’m in a track desert with nothing nearby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I recently replaced the cooling system on the E36 and I finally signed up for my first HPDE event. Anyone here going to be at Summit Point next weekend?

E: omg wtf this avatar.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Sep 7, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I spent a weekend at Summit Point on the Shenandoah Circuit. It was my first HPDE and I now have a bit of track fever. It was so so fun. I had an enormous stupid grin on my face all weekend.

These Pagid pads were new the day before. They threw in the towel after 1/2 lap.

Thankfully the track shop had an alternative to $400 PFC pads so I borrowed a jack from a paddock neighbor and swapped them out to go out the next day.

S52 didn’t skip a beat all weekend and rolled over 290k on the way home.

Where is a good place/forum to hang out for more track oriented bmw info? I have a couple small changes I want to make before I go again but I’d like to research (suspension) in the meantime.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

My instructor said I was at the limit of what the combination of suspension, tires, and brakes could do. And I believed him. Beyond the Hawk pads I swapped in the car is stock and was VERY boaty around the track. It feels flat around town but the body roll was incredible and very distracting. It has new hi temp brake fluid and a new cooling system. The original suspension is toast as the car has a ton of miles on it.

It felt great to be able to drive the car around the limit and get to know it at track speeds.

I feel fortunate that I ended up at that track, with that group, (dc scca) and with the instructor that I had for the my first time out. A+ would recommend 100%.

I went out twice to ride along in his fully prepped e46 M3. I could have done that all day. Familiar to my car but just more of everything: grip, brakes, power, and revs.

So far I’ve only bought used cat back exhaust and track wheels so I feel pretty restrained. The fever is real.

I need to do something with the suspension so I’m reading up on that.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Here is a pic from track.

I was just looking to make a couple basic changes to the car buuuuuuut someone posted a used Bilstein B16 PSS9 coilover kit bundled with Turner sway bars and camber plates so I bought it all. And a cat back. And wheels. And tires.

Insert money on fire icon here.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Joe Mama posted:

That's a nice, well-rounded track package though. Money well spent.

I was planning on just doing more events before I did anything else but I’m pretty stoked to put this pile of parts on the car.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

NitroSpazzz posted:

:homebrew::getin: That's going to be a really good combo. What tires did you go with?

Thanks. I’m excited like a kid in a candy store to get it all on the car and back to the track. It has new Firehawks on the back so I just ordered a matching set for the 8.5” wheels I got for the front to make it square.

It understeered badly w/old Hankook Ventus somethings 225/45/17 on the front and new 245/40/17 Firehawks on the rear.

Not super exciting but I figure I’ll learn a lot as I wear through this set.

E: If this is a huge mistake then I can still change the order.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 00:08 on Sep 30, 2023

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I got all of my stuff bolted on and I signed up to go back to Summit Point mid-October but got waitlisted. I’m not sure what the likely hood of being not-waitlisted is. Is it limited by the amount of instructors they have available? Anyone here going ? I hope the weather isn’t bad.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hello track thread

I’m planning on doing one weekend HPDE per month this year during good weather in the NE/Mid Atlantic.

Car an E36 M3 w/square 245/40/17s.

I ran a couple weekends last year on Firestone Firehawks. They were fine but got hot and greasy pretty quickly. I’m considering swapping these out for Hankook RS4s. I don’t care that they aren’t the absolute fastest, from what I’ve read, but they appear to have great longevity.

Anything else I should consider? Should I just keep running the Firestones?

Tire related: Apex is having a sale on ARC8s for my car but from what I have read wheel weight appears to matter a lot and not at all? I have the OE DSII wheels. The Apex wheels would be about 20lbs lighter across all 4 wheels. In terms of actual lap times there seems to be no meaningful difference for someone at my level (novice/intermediate) with lighter wheels.

TLDR: do you love your RS4s and did you notice a difference installing lighter wheels?

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

honda whisperer posted:

I've got that size rs4s on my BRZ and they're great. There's better and faster but they're predictable, make noise near the limit, and do wear like iron.

The best tire becomes a thing when you're competing.

Unsprung weight is the best weight to lose on a car but again it doesn't matter much for hpde.

I'd recommend a second set of wheels so you can swap. Are you driving to events? If so having a second set of wheels and tires will let you drive home after flat spots, knocking a bead off, or damaging a wheel.

Most of the non trailer crew wind up with a hitch and tiny trailer they bring tools, brakes, and wheel set on.

These are all good ideas. I am driving to events. The furthest track is 4 hours away but usually I’ll be two hours away. I saw the micro trailer crowd last year and thought that they would be perfect for what I’m doing. I would just need to get a hitch and cut through my rear bumper cover.

I do have two set of wheels for the car. I bought a second set of DSII as they are staggered so I could make a square set from the wider 8.5” wheels. I could run the square skinny set to the track and the fat set once I get there.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

I had RS4s on RPF1s on my Miata and probably did 10 track days on them and still probably had more in them. Sure they’re not the fastest but they definitely wear as well as people say.

I think the main benefit of having a widely available wheel even over lightness is that if anything gets bent/damaged, it’s quick and easy to get a replacements. It sucks having to track down OE wheels on anything slightly rare, and wheels do end up being a consumable when you’re tracking frequently.

This is a good point. Thanks.

^I’ll have to look into the PS4S more as I thought it was more street than track but sounds like it might be an option.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

KillHour posted:

I have Cup 2s on my FoRS. They are very sticky but you will eat through them like pizza at a Superbowl party. Especially if you're running street suspension settings and don't have enough camber. Also, they are whisper quiet until you are already full-send all wheel drifting through a fast corner you should have lifted for. Ask me how I know.

4 years later, I have PS4S's on my M4 and I was the fastest person in my group with way less wear, more feedback for when I'm approaching the limit, and still chasing down Porsches.

Sure, the Cup 2's are faster, but it's a DE, not a race.

It feels like I’m already lighting money on fire with registration fees and maintenance so tires with some longevity sound good.

The M3 is on Bilstein coilovers with -4 camber up front and -2.5 in the rear.

TrueChaos posted:

I run RS4's on the miata, they're a perfect hpde tire. Wear like iron, close enough in speed to the best tires, responsive and communicative at the limit.

Did I mention they wear like iron? My last set lasted 10 track days and 15 autox events, plus driving to/from the track.

I have a tow vehicle now (picked up a used cayenne - 7700lbs tow rating!), and as a result I'm trailer shopping and probably venturing into the world of slicks soon. I'm very excited to be able to get into a comfortable vehicle with ac and vented seats at the end of a track day, rather than climbing back into a bucket seat, harnesses, no ac/Ps, stiff suspension miata to sit on the highway at 4k rpm for an hour or two.

This is music to my ears.

I’m trying to avoid that level of scope creep. For now.

ThirstyBuck fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 5, 2024

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

Hell yeah blk! I'm loving this.

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I had the local shop do some work on the E36 as I was short on time before next my first track session next weekend for this year. I had the oil pan gasket replaced and swapped in AKG's poly motor, transmission, LCAB mounts, and an alignment. Holy poo poo the NVH now in the car is absurd. I was told by the shop that the trans mounts are responsible for most of this so I have already ordered rubber mounts to go back in. Thankfully they are the easiest of these to swap out. The shifting felt great in the car and the power felt more "direct" but not worth the shaking and banging that I was suffering inside. For where I am and what I'm doing that is a little too loud and shaky for a car that is not full race car.

I was expecting more noise certainly but not this much; in the back of my mind I was wondering if these mounts were highlighting a worn out something somewhere else? I realize asking this question on the internet without the subjective experience of being in the car is mostly futile but I'm interested in goon feedback. I'll shelve the transmission mounts until I'm further down this rabbit hole.

Otherwise I tweaked the sway bar settings, de-shimmed my struts to reduce camber, replaced the transmission fluid, fuel filter, and flushed in fresh brake fluid. I'm awaiting delivery of some other items this week and then I'll be ready for the weekend.

I bought numbers and they are too big. I going to cut them down so they fit in the gap between the molding and the crease on the door.

Shims, removed

Front camber was -5 (!) and I had the rear set to maximum which was at -2.25. After removing these I think this should put the front around -4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThirstyBuck
Nov 6, 2010

I’ll be at Summit Point both days this weekend if anyone else is going.