Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Has anyone used one of those cheapo TPMS on track days? E.g. https://www.banggood.com/IMars-T240...ur_warehouse=CN

I never really considered it before but seems like it would be really cool to keep an eye out on pressure and temperature in real time and not have to go around measuring poo poo after every stint.

I used one of those when I started. At first, I liked it a lot - they are slow to update and not super accurate but they are great at reminding you to air up the next day after your tire has cooled and also good at warning you if your tires are way too hot. They are consistently inaccurate so for mine I just had to add a few pounds to the display.

If you do this enough, they start to be a bigger pain than they are worth - they get much hotter than a normal plastic cap and you still need to adjust air so pressure adjustments become more difficult. Also the reader has an alarm that goes off so you have to listen to that every time you adjust pressures. Finally, and this is what did it for me - in certain circumstances they will let all the air out of your tire. It usually happens when they were tightened while on hot tires and then allowed to cool down a lot (for me it was a January HPDE where the tires got hot on track and then cooled to near freezing overnight).

IMO, it’s better to run capless and just use a handheld gauge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilhacker
Feb 27, 2011

Sipher posted:

Any of y'all run anything like the garmin catalyst? I'm a big need who loves data, would love some first person accounts if it's helpful at all

I use one. I like it as a lap timer and the coaching prompts are fine. I mostly use it to review sessions and see where I can improve. It doesn’t connect to OBD2 so it’s probably not going to provide the data you want. I’m running Torque on a cheapo Android tablet to log car data and I’ve found that’s worked okay but is sometimes unreliable.