Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stick
Aug 15, 2011
I did my second HPDE event last weekend and am hooked. I went with the IA chapter of the BMWCCA for their annual "Longest Day" two day driving school. This is the only event I have done (last year and this year) but I would highly recommend it. They hold the event out at MAM, which seems to be a very newbie friendly track with tons of runoff in every direction. The instructors are very helpful too, and an instructor will have at most 2 students so there is lots of 1 on 1. I got my mom to run last year, and both my wife and my mom to run with me this year. My wife keeps asking when we can do another one... She may be every bit as hooked as I am.

Last year I started in group 3 (OP's Yellow?) because I've had a decent amount of autocross experience. By the end of the weekend I was reasonably consistent, and was allowed to run solo with group 1-2 (blue/red) for the final session. This year I was placed in group 2 at the start, and picked up right where I left off last year. By the end of the second session I felt I had passed the point I reached last year, and by the 3rd session I was pretty drat consistent and my instructor ran out of things to say. It kind of caught me off guard, but they cut me loose for the rest of day one and all of day 2 save for one checkup ride along. I guess it typically takes 4-6 weekends for a student to get their solo wings, so for someone to do it in 1.5 is very very unusual. My instructor actually commented that I would be a good instructor with a bit more seat time. Pretty awesome considering most people in my run group had over twice the track time as me!

Need to get out to some more HPDE's at more tracks yet this year to keep on the progress!

I shot some video. Apologies for the audio, the camera was in the front grill so the cooling fan and serpentine belt whine are pretty loud. On the plus side, the intake snorkel is very close to there so you at least hear the engine too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EabgvI64wnQ

At 8:30 I experience my first ever 4 wheels off track. Was trying too hard to keep the distance to the modified boss 302 I let by the lap before and carried more speed than I could bleed off before turn in. Still, turned a couple 1:55.0 laps this session which isn't bad for a heavy 15 yr old 5'er. Full 3.5 seconds faster than my best lap last year which I am very happy with as well.

Vehicle:
1997 BMW 540i 6 speed 172,000 miles
Hankook RS3's
EAC Coilovers
Eibach / M5 swaybars
Partial exhaust delete (Y Resonator and rear dummy muffler)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU