Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I'll be racing the family 240z vintage racer in Group 7 at Mosport this weekend. Should be a change from Lemons racing. It's been two years since I go to drive it at the Walter Mitty -- can't wait to hear that unmuffled straight six wail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

nm posted:

A few companies make SA2010 and DOT approved helmets.
Note that DOT legality makes it legal, not safe.

Do you know specifically who? When I bought my last helmet (Bell M4), I was trying to find an SA helmet that was also DOT and came up with nothing and ended up with a Shoei RF1100. I did however call the Snell foundation get the FINAL word on the difference between Snell approved bike and car helmets so we can put that to rest:

Car: fire proof interior
Bike: larger view port

It is possible that may be designed differently (multiple impacts vs one), but they all pass the same qualifications to be Snell approved. If your car helmet has a motorcycle sized view port (call the manufacturer for details on that) then it is just as safe for motorcycling as any other Snell approved moto helmet. The Shoei I ended up with did have some better motorcycling features (vents, wind blockers, easier to operate visor), so a moto specific helmet has merits other than safety.

My weekend at the "Canadian Historic Grand Prix" at Mosport was a great success. I ran a full 5 session test day on Thursday to get used to the car and then alternating duties with my brother (who's been racing it for the last 6 years) for the race weekend. In my final race I ended up turning a 1:36.4, which was quicker than any time my brother did that weekend. All that seat time during Lemons must be paying off! I remembered how exciting sprint racing is -- the guy in front of you is the guy you NEED to get past. The car was flawless and being treated to an arrive and drive was, needless to say, loving awesome.

Next up on my calendar is a mid-July road trip up to Oregon Raceway Park in my 510 for an Oregon PCA weekend. I've been told that ORP feels like a skatepark -- sounds fun!

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

This past weekend my team and I did our 6th 24h of Lemons race and had our best ever finish at 13th out of 161 starters at Thunderhill. We were running as high as 6th, and started day two in the top ten (I got to line up and start at the front of the pack). A little better attention to detail on the car and less gently caress ups and we could be contending next race.

The car looks intimidating when approaching from behind (shot from Eyesore Racing's rear bumper).

Looks somewhat less bad rear end racing a minivan

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

wow awesome shots, your team must have good chemistry if you've done 6 races together.

Well, we're all responsible, reasonable adults who all contribute where we can. It's not that hard! We're now talking about the next one we'll run, and we have a mind to do the true 24h at Buttonwillow next year if they run it again.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

Awesome, I'm hoping to have a car and do that race next year too.

The team I was on last year they were great guys but not really mechanics so I felt like I did 75% of the work, and some of what they did, they screwed up. (like replacing the front calipers and then only bleeding the front--which I didn't find out until I sat down in the race car suited up and ready to drive to the starting grid and the pedal was mush!)

That would be frustrating! Everyone on our team is an engineer -- all but one mechanical, all car guys, so wrench skills aren't holding us back too much. I suppose we do work pretty well as team, and it probably isn't actually that easy to find a group that can and wants to work together on cars in their free time. I forget that not everyone is useful around a vehicle.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

If you get the chance to run Thunderhill in reverse, do it!

Here's a couple youtubes shot from the right rear quarter panel of my 510 last week during a Golden Gate Lotus Club track day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwffEciU1w&feature=g-upl -- chasing my friends E36 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b271albASSo&feature=g-upl -- catching and passing an Esprit on R-Compounds

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

So I wasn't planning on tracking my 2010 GTI (it lives as my wife and I's daily/city car), but I bought some summer wheels for it (17x7.5 RPF1s) and they came with some used NT01s on them. Not wanting to waste race tires in my possession I signed up to lap at Laguna in early April.

Question is this: I'm only going to do the one day on the car, and would like to keep it cheap and cheerful -- so what is the least amount of work you'd do to a fatty fat modern FWD car before going to the track for the first and last time on R-compounds?

Laguna can be pretty hard on brakes, and I imagine that is where the car will most likely come up short (or long).

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Phone posted:

I would say brakes, but every single compound will destroy your fancy new wheels.

Hawk DTC-60s and ATE Superblue/TYP200.

They're used and not too fancy. Plus I'll be painting them once the Nittos come off and sensible street rubber goes on.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

NitroSpazzz posted:

If this is your first track day (assuming it is) then flush your brakes and have fun. You'll be running novice pace so you don't need race pads and can likely get by just fine with any FRESH off the shelf brake fluid. The stock pads on the GTI will work fine as long as they aren't worn down to a questionable level.

If you have been to the track before and run faster then pads, fluid and have fun.

The latter. I'm pretty sure the car is on the original stock pads (21k miles?) so it's probably due for some new ones. I'll do some new sporty pads flush with ATE TYP200 and see if I can restrain myself a little bit. It'll be nice to not worry about the dB limit.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Hog Obituary posted:

wait wait wait a sec. Blooot, don't you have a bunch of track experience? Like a LeMons CRX and stuff (or something else)?

Uhhh yeah?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Yeah sorry, I should have been more clear. A better way of phrasing: if you were taking your modern bone-stock car to the track for a single day on r-compounds instead of your more focused racing/sports cars, what level of prep would you bother with?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

As someone that just lit his engine up on the track... get a dedicated $4-5k Honda daily driver. I'm just glad I stick to tracking bikes so I'm only out about $1500.

I hope you have health insurance!

Octopus Magic -- with Lemons/Chump you spread those expenses (and work on the car) out over a number of people who all get a bunch of seat time. Consumables are way cheaper too. No race tires or race gas. I also personally like racing with 100+ cars on track.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

I think it's a thing that I like having some pride in my car a little more than some of the (totally admitted) heaps I've seen at Lemons/Chump events (no offense intended, it's just not my bag).

Got it. I was more speaking to the "if you need a tow vehicle, why not scca?" argument.

My brother came and ran with us at the last race, and that was his take away too. He likes running his vintage race 240Z as he finds racing a cool/nice car very satisfying.

Everyone I race with also has a "nice" sports car that they track (which maybe satisfies this side of things), but we all save the wheel-to-wheel stuff for our M1 CRX, which IMO is actually one of the cooler Lemons cars. It at least looks like a race car (from 50 feet) and not some random themed POS. I'd say DJ Commie is probably proud of his Dai, it is as well put together as many club racers.

Edit: One other thing Lemons is missing is the amassing of trick parts thing that higher spec racing opens up. If shopping's your thing (not counting junk yards and CL), then Lemons doesn't satisfy.

Blooot fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 14, 2013

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Phone posted:

That's why he said many. :v:

I was picturing mid-pack ITC when I said that, not whatever money pit class Belldandy was running in.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

drgitlin posted:

There are plenty of Chumpcars in our region that don't look like pieces of poo poo or parade floats.

I don't run Chumpcar so I'm not familiar with the fields. While I realize it's not for everyone (especially SERIOUS RACE CAR DRIVERS), I actually love the enforced zaniness and slew of bizarre builds at Lemons.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

Hotter than hell at Buttonwillow this weekend

This. It was brutal, and I'm glad we decided to drop the $$ on a cool shirt system which was loving amazing. We ran the test day and our newly rebuilt trans didn't want to stay in 4th, so I improvised an external Velco detent system. This held up for most of day one, but at the end of Saturday 4th was simply gone.

We ran as high as 4th place after hour 1 with me in the car, but after a couple of bobbles (see below) and driver changes we finished day one in 28th. With the failing trans we felt we didn't have much hope for Sunday. To our surprise and due to much attrition we ended up clawing our way up to 15th, with the transmission degrading and having to hold it in 3rd and 5th gear for much of the day (one hand racing).

Amazingly the car didn't have a single heat related issue aside from slipping into limp mode due to excessive intake air temps at the end of my first stint. Coolant temp read 190F the whole time. And this is a stock cooling system with a ZC motor that makes a good deal more power than the 200k mile D16A6 it replaced. The car feels more and more bagged each time we race it, and it's probably due for wheel bearings and some bushings, but this thing kicks rear end. Seven Lemons events with no race ending mechanicals, and a pair of top 15 finishes in the last two races. If we could stretch out our stints longer we could be in contention.

This was my first time at Buttonwillow and it was a fun circuit, but aside from the better than average track food, it was a pretty bad place to have to be for a weekend. I'm spoiled by Norcal tracks. Still managed to have a good time. It was nice finally meeting Aventari, and I felt bad every time his 5er was broken in the pits.

Good timing caught my teammate losing it into the silt at the start of the front straight:

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

drgitlin posted:

Don't they black flag you in Lemons for doing that?

Yep. It gave us a chance to clean the windshield.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Larrymer posted:

Maybe because it sounds elitest and douchey? Or maybe that's just how it's coming off based on your description.

I'm sure it's fine. DV just can't help but sound this way when he posts.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

I took my Datsun to Thunderhill this past weekend to run it around with some friends at a Hooked on Driving Day. We ran the bypass which was new to me and I have decided I prefer to the Cyclone, it makes things faster and fast blind crests are great fun. My friend Steve shot some onboard of him chasing/following me in his Elise where I got the car loose a couple of times through over driving.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1IOBY0RW_Y

The real action of the day was missed on camera, but the aftermath can be seen. Second lap of the first session in the D group a E92 M3 rolls after exiting turn 9 (skip to 4:00). Das Volk, that wasn't you I hope?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8Qh9Xz8W04

The day ended on down note as my car picked up a horrendous rear end banging noise somewhere along the 505 that three stops with wheels off/car up on jack stands could not diagnose so I had my car towed the last 75 miles -- thanks AAA Gold!

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

That's always a great feeling on the drive home when you're tired and dirty and just and to get home and then poo poo like this happens :)

Find out what it was yet? Diff would be my guess

And what should have taken 2 hours takes 4. Well, at least I saved on fuel, and got to hear a couple hours of towin' stories.

Haven't cracked into it yet, but I am guessing the differential too. A Datsun forum guy suggested that one of the ring gear bolts may have backed out and is crashing into the inside of the case. It make sense as it is random, but rhythmic with the rotation of the rear wheels. Hoping my not so easy to acquire Subaru 4.11 R160 CLSD is OK.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Heading to Thunderhill in the 510 to try the new extended 5 mile circuit on Friday. Anyone run it yet?

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

SpaceRangerJoe posted:

I need to clean up wiring in my track car. What do people like for in car wire wrap? Spiral wrap is cheap, but I imagine that would be a huge pain in the rear end to install. I'm not worried about under hood just yet, but that's probably next.

This stuff is a pretty nice step up from plastic split loom:

http://www.isgroup-international.com/pdfs/Protective_Sleeving_PDFs/protective_sleeving_roundit_2000_V0.pdf

The datasheet doesn't explain it well but it's a split fabric sleeve that wraps over itself. We source it at work from IS Motorsport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

aventari posted:

I don't see the Lemons/Chump thread.. Anyone here going to the Sonoma Lemons race in December?

Gonna be there in the GoPro E28 again!

We got wait listed but are signed up for the bonus race in January. It'll be the return of the Knight Industries two thousand and four honda prelude VTEC (KITTAFHPV) after a frustrating first go at the 5 mile thill event in sept. A leaky head gasket caused chronic overheating day 1 and replacement took all the way until the last hour of the race. Fortunately once we got that taken care of the car was awesome to drive and fast. I managed a 4:08 during the 25 minutes I was on track. Looking forward to wringing it out on track at Sonoma.