Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I'm doing a Sat/Sun track day at Willow Springs on 7/7 and 7/8. It's at Streets and it's pretty cheap, like $85 and $115 dollars.
https://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com/event-registration

I think I've run with these guys once before and didn't have any issues. I'll be taking out my new track car, a $300 E30 with 250k miles that I just got running a week ago. We'll see how long it lasts before something breaks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

Admirable Gusto posted:

Did the same thing at Buttonwillow a year ago when I first started tracking my car. Followed a guy in an S2000 that was just slightly (annoyingly) faster than me, early apexed one of the more dangerous corners and nearly put my car into a pit wall (probably made the corner worker crap his pants too). Thank god for stability control that cannot be fully disabled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoB03CNrnpE

Here's a lap at a Buttonwillow track day about 4 or 5 years ago in my 100hp VW heh https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6yY84O3IP4

same car at willow springs with a turbo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKZiz_SFvJs

aventari fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jun 16, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I've been really happy with Nitto NT01's. They worked great in my Miata and they even fit :)

Now that I'm just about done building my E30 track car I'll try some Hankook Ventus R-S3 in 225/45-15, just because they're cheap and when they wear out maybe move up to some DOT race rubber.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

c355n4 posted:

Do most of the tracks you guys go to not have race shops on location? Try on helmets, sit in seats, etc.

Summit Point has OGRacing
NJMP has Driving Impressions
Lime Rock Park has someone, I forget who
Stable Energies often brings a trailer/display to many track events

The few tracks I hit out here in SoCal are in the middle of nowhere and don't tend to have much in the way of facilities.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I'm pretty much of the opinion on anything short of a full out race car, don't mess around with spherical bearings and such in the suspension, just upgrade to poly or delrin bushings as they're such lower maintenance and it's pretty unlikely you'd ever see a performance difference between them.

I'd also rather use poly motor mounts than solid just for lessened stress on the subframe mount points.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

For air I just bring a quality bicycle hand pump. Everyone laughs, but I can pump up tires about 5-10x faster than those lovely 12v compressors and it's a cheaper and more useful than a small tank.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Yeah I've never had an issue with any quality pump ($25-$40, not a Walmart POS)

kill me now posted:

Unless your an idiot and forgot to check the starting pressure on your tires and only realize at the track that you've forgotten to air up your track wheels after emptying them for storage over the winter. :smithicide:

Are you supposed to empty the air out for storage? I've never done that. I do put the wheels/tires in black garbage bags though.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

ahh maybe removing the air is so the tires don't flex a lot with temperature fluctuations and the pressure going up and down.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Ready for my $300 E30's first track weekend at Streets of Willow Springs, just added some DIY Home Depot brake ducts

3" dryer hose and flex tubing
2 empty Rosarito cans of beans (cut both ends off and remove beans)
some hose clamps
a bunch of zip ties

They fit and work way better than I ever thought they could. Hope they stay intact all weekend.

Brake pads I'm running are brand new Hawk HT10's

aventari fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Jul 5, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

nm posted:

You could do all that, or you could just get better brake pads.
That said, if you're getting a street tired, stock power e30 brake to 1300 degrees in an HPDE, you're probably doing something wrong. My pads go to 1650lbs, but my car weights 1000lbs more and has twice the HP.

So maybe it's possible the ducting is overkill, but it's certainly not going to *hurt* anything. While I'm using good pads, the main reason I wanted to do the ducting is that I built this car as a beater track car to let my friends learn on.

It's going to see double, sometimes maybe triple duty on each track day. This weekend will be double duty in back-to-back sessions with my friend on Saturday and Sunday so I think keeping the brakes happy is a good idea.
Plus I race in SoCal where it gets insanely hot at August track days and I will be running R-comps after this coming weekend. I like NT01's, but I might try something else.

So for this E30 I'm using the Hawk HT10's. I've always run Ferodo DS2500's at the track on my VW's and Miata, which are more of a street oriented pad, but they cost $200 for the front axle for the E30, the XP10's are $175 and the HT10's are ~$90.

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Jul 6, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

We have self-tech at all track days here so it would pass that.
I'm sure if an actual inspector saw that though it wouldn't pass, too risky.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

How funny you post that, I was at Streets of Willow this weekend, and we have to drive by that wall to get in and out of the track. From the outside, we saw the section of wall knocked outwards and were wondering what the hell happened. I just figured it was a motorcycle that had gone off at high speed.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I would say a better option would either be to add an oil pan baffle and/or an accusump.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

meatpimp posted:

For those near Pocono, this wouldn't be a bad way to spend $100:

Drive a Lamborghini on a Racetrack
http://www.travelzoo.com/local-deals/Philadelphia/Other/19462

I've seen these deals before and they seem cool on the surface, but if you read the fine print they look really boring. $100 for one lap after they build it up with simulators and segways. That's not enough time to get remotely comfortable with the car to even enjoy the drive.
On a racetrack, almost any car is a really good time, so put that $100 towards a track day with your car or renting a Miata (~$500) and get like 50+ laps.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Admirable Gusto posted:

Is anyone else planning to be at Buttonwillow this weekend? Hot and dry, peaking in the low 90s, and Speed Ventures has a ton of room
:getin:
Aww I would've totally gona to this track day but it's too late now.. Post sooner so I can plan on it :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Comrade Flynn posted:

Not sure if this counts, but got back from the Nurburgring last week. Probably one of the best experiences of my life.

Rented the "Stage 3 Suzuki" which was stripped interior with Recaros and on R888s. Also, it was pink.

Did 6 laps. The first 2 with a client of my company who happens to have done 1000+ laps of the ring. He was a HUGE help; I can't imagine just trying to go out blind. I couldn't stop grinning everytime I realized I was on THE Ring.

I know that feel bro

When I went last year I was smiling more than I'd been in life cumulatively up to that point. Every time we'd just drive right onto the track from the main public road and not go to tech or meetings or swap tires or anything else was just unreal.

How did you like rent4ring and the Suzuki? I went with RSR and the Clio the first day which looks like a similar car. *Great* car to learn the track in, FWD, not too much power but great handling.

Did you know the track already from Gran Turismo/Forza? That helped me immensely.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

FatCow posted:

The biggest problem with those seats is that they don't appear to have a hole for sub belts. I'm not sure if there will be a significant improvement in seat feel with just a "racing style" seat and no harness.

You don't necessarily need a sub belt. You can get a high quality 4 point belt like a Schroth. I run these Rallye 4's in my track E30 with omg no roll bar.
http://www.schrothracing.com/store/Tuning/rallye/rallye-4

best pic I have with harnesses

To be honest the belts are so tight when you're on the track, the Momo seat doesn't hold me any better than the tore up stock Recaros.

If I were you I would try 4 points with the stock seats and see how you like it.

Octopus Magic posted:

That's retarded and you are being a safety ninny.

this.

edit: found better pic:

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Not too worried, it's installed exactly according to instructions http://www.schrothracing.com/docs/Rallye_3_&_4_Instructions.pdf

Also, those look like they're mounted more vertical than they really are becuase they're sagging.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Cool video, that track looks pretty sketchy with the puddles and all. The mirror mounting blocks a lot of the view :(

I'm heading to Buttonwillow on Saturday 9/22 with Speedventures: http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=386

I need to finish the E30 by then

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

wow awesome shots, your team must have good chemistry if you've done 6 races together.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Blooot posted:

Well, we're all responsible, reasonable adults who all contribute where we can. It's not that hard! We're now talking about the next one we'll run, and we have a mind to do the true 24h at Buttonwillow next year if they run it again.

Awesome, I'm hoping to have a car and do that race next year too.

The team I was on last year they were great guys but not really mechanics so I felt like I did 75% of the work, and some of what they did, they screwed up. (like replacing the front calipers and then only bleeding the front--which I didn't find out until I sat down in the race car suited up and ready to drive to the starting grid and the pedal was mush!)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Good to know about the RS3's, I just ordered a set of 225/45-15's this morning for the e30

edit: This is what happens to 6UL wheels on the front of Hondas on the track apparently. Guy said it was not curbed or anything like that. Showed me another of his wheels that had stress cracks on half the spokes

aventari fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Sep 25, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

not working?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Any SoCal peeps be interested in a track day this Sat or Sun at Autoclub Speedway?

http://speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=391

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Admirable Gusto posted:

Can I tempt you with Infineon on 11/17 for the low low price of $199, an excellent value (mixed group is not yet sold out :getin:)

link: http://trackmasters-racing.com/inde...20%20%20%0Aurle

I would sorely tempted if it wasn't 500 miles and 9 hours away :)

That's the worst thing about San Diego, no tracks less than 1.5 hours away

Gonna make the trek to Laguna Seca next year no matter what though

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

that is hottt

Be careful with that motor though, it's an expensive piece of hardware. (pan baffle, crank scraper, accusump, etc)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Awesome video, that looks like it was a lot of fun

edit: really impressive driving, I like when the E30 2 cars ahead of you almost lost it at Magic Mountain/Phil Hill

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Nov 14, 2012

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

So I'm doing this track day on the 16th Sunday, it may rain a bit but that just means a lot of drifting :)

quote:

$90 Track day at Willow Springs- Streets of Willow- Dec 15-16-Socal
Extremespeedtrackevents will be at Willow Springs -Streets of Willow Race Course
in SoCal-
December 15-16 for a track day,Special track day price of only $90 for a FULL TRACK DAY
DISCOUNT CODE IS ( sow9 )
Any Questions email sung@extremespeedtrackevents.com
Register here- https://www.extremespeedtrackevents.com
Must register before Dec 15th

Free timing for all drivers
Free Basic on track instruction for beginners
Free Lunch for all drivers

I'll be there with my E30, my brother will be driving his drift car, a JDM 180sx with SR20det

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

How do they run theirs? Speed ventures has color coded classes, do they work similarly?

Yeah same setup, color coded groups, beginner, intermediate, advanced, super-advanced

I actually prefer SpeedVentures, but these guys are cheap

What to bring for a new car, in addition to what was said, bring chairs, EZup, helmet, closed toed shoes, snacks, water, camera, paper towels and windex, air compressor or good bike tire pump for tires.. I could go on but I bring way too much because it's better than too little.

Now I trailer my car though, so if something happens like what happened to Sadi's friend I'm not totally hosed.

I did drive to the track for the last 9 years though and always made it back, but I did have to do some crazy repairs sometimes.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I just had Bilstein Sports and H&R race's on my 01 Miata and I loved them. I guess ignorance is probably bliss as I've never had a proper ($$$) coilover setup :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

My e30 was $300, I had to get over the "these sway bars cost more than the whole car!" thing pretty quickly.

It gets easier :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Seriously, my 600cc supersport bike had never felt anything close to slow until I took it to a track day and got walked by liter bikes down the straights

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Check out my cheap E30 track car thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3505083

If you need RWD, it's the perfect car for your criteria.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Hog Obituary posted:

So I know this is everything I said I didn't want -- (i.e. a convertible and beyond what I said I wanted to spend), but talk me out of this one:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/3608944307.html
2002 S2k without a softtop, and a bolted on hardtop. 90k miles. Some iffy mods.

I dont see any iffy mods myself. I wouldn't do it though just because convertibles are a pain in the rear end

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Larrymer posted:

I would do pads and fluid at minimum. I don't like the idea of finding out your brakes are faded when it's a bit too late.

Yeah this is what I would do. A set of good pads should be <$100 and that's a hell of a lot cheaper than going off track and bending something.

Especially since you know what your doing on track and won't be timid about going fast.

Not sure about modern GTI's, but I would mark where the front camber adjuster is now, and then crank them to max camber for the day.

Just read front camber is not adjustable. Maybe get a set of these: http://www.awesomegti.com/superpro-front-camber-adjustable-ball-joints-mk5-mk6-golf-jetta-a3-s3-8p-leon-mk2-octavia-mk2
and then sell them on Vortex after the track?

That's a lot of work though and probably not worth that level of effort for a single track day with tires you're trashing anyway.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

FatCow posted:

Laffo on <$100 pads. Even pads for a Miata are ~$200 a set.

I'm just talking front pads. Maybe I didn't mention that. I assumed anyone here would also realize changing the rears for one track day is goddamn ridiculous.

https://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php/1060/Racing+Brake+Pads/HAWK/Hawk+HT-10/1987+BMW+325iS+E30+Chassis

$109 track pads. Last summer I ran these in all day back-to-back sessions at Willow Springs. 95+ degree ambient.

Here's Ferodo DS2500's that I ran on my 99 Miata for 4 track days + street driving with zero fade or brake issues. $109
https://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php/14236/Street+Brake+Pads/FERODO/Ferodo+DS2500/1999+MAZDA+MIATA+MX5+

As for Bloot's GTI, he can get a set of Porterfield R4S's for $90
https://www.topbrakes.com/carSeriesDetails.php/24735/Street+Brake+Pads/PORTERFIELD/Porterfield+R4-S/2010+VOLKSWAGEN+GTI+2.0L+Turbo

Which are not track pads, but for a single trackday they'll be worlds better than the OEM crap _and_ he can keep using them on the street when he's done.

aventari fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Mar 8, 2013

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I've never had a separate set of track pads.

The Ferodo DS2500's have worked great on the street and track for me in a Miata, VW Scirocco turbo and Rabbit GTI.

Those are all lightweight cars though. Heavier cars probably have different needs.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

kill me now posted:

Changing pads gives you a good chance to examine your rotors, calipers, and lines while you have the wheels off.

This is a great reason to have a separate set that you swap out.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Yup, I enjoy my beater track E30 a hell of a lot more than my NSX. Nice cars are almost more of a hassle than they're worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Anyone interested in a track day on March 30th/31st at Buttonwillow?

http://www.ncracing.org/ are the guys running it, I've never heard of them before, but they can't be worse than Xtremespeed

I'm just going Saturday and I'll be in the Open class