Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

grover posted:

I just don't understand people who insist on upgrading seats before installing a cage, practically ensuring their spine becomes a supplementary b-pillar in a rollover. Yeah, I know it holds your butt in place better, but...

As someone with no cage, a fixed seat, and 4 pt, it's a numbers game. The odds are extremely low that I'm going to have a rollover that will injure me because of a fixed back seat and harness, so I'm okay with that risk. Going out on track at all involves risk, so it just comes down to where you draw the line.
If I wanted to stay safe I would sit at home on the couch and read a book.

That said, I'm going to get a cage in the near future, but for now it doesn't keep me up at night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
I feel you dude, that totally sucks no two ways about it. How far away is the track?

I would be pretty pissed as I have to drive 8 hours round trip for track days.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Weird question: Anybody have ideas for where I could get some SFI rated nomex socks locally (in San Diego)? I need them for a Chumpcar race this weekend and I don't want to pay $25 to next day air some $17 socks.
like these: http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bob-20204-lg/overview/

I'm going to call Off-Road Warehouse tomorrow and see if I can pick them up local, but maybe there's another type of shop I'm not thinking of? It's kind of an oddball item to keep in stock I know..

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Thanks for suggestions, I called ORW and they didn't have the socks so I just got them overnighted. The Buttonwillow store might have them too but I'd rather not risk it.

I just paid $50 for a pair of socks..

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

I changed my brake fluid before the event, but I was still getting a bit of sponginess from the brakes by the end of the session. I think this is more a function of braking more than I need too, but my instructor recommended switching to ATE Super Blue or something similar.

Track days are crack

If your brakes have good, new fluid I would look at pad choice. What are you running?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Yeah the main way I get better through fast sections of the track is to be behind someone good and see how much harder they can push it. It's amazing when you think you're on the edge and can't do anything else and then you're dicing with someone or trying to keep up with a faster car and suddenly you just took that sweeper 5-10mph faster than you ever had before or thought possible.

It's like, "Congrats, you just leveled up!"

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Hotter than hell at Buttonwillow this weekend, I didn't get many pics or video as I was fixing broken poo poo most of the weekend.

We we pitted 1 stop away from Bloot so that was cool to meet him and see the awesome M1 CRX. Got a shot of him before the start of the race:

Here we are getting ready

Car: 87 535i with an E34 M30B35 motor, Getrag 260 and 4.10LSD

On track it handles adequately and has a lot of power and puts it down well, but it inspires very little confidence.

This is my first race with this team and I didn't really have a hand in car prep except for building the bottom end in the last few weeks and then installing it in a rush with no time to check anything else because of inadequate planning.

The first day we were battling undiagnosed fuel starvation, turns out the transfer pump was dying which we solved Saturday night by bypassing the pump.

The first thing to break was about 2 hours into the race and it was the front pulley falling off on track. The bolts must not have been tightened properly (this will become a theme). This caused the front harmonic balancer to cause a misfire and almost fall off so I came in and replaced that. Luckily we had a spare. One bolt broke off in the crank snout so we chased the threads in the open holes, installed 7 of 8 bolts and went out again.

A few hours later the team captain got a black flag and then the car wouldn't start in the penalty box. We pushed it into pits and found the alternator not charging. I traced it to a nut that was improperly tightened that had come loose and fallen off holding the positive charging wire to the back of the alternator.

I think there was some more issues Saturday but I cant remember. In addition, I was adding water to the radiator almost every pit because the radiator was woefully inadequate for the 105 degree ambient heat. When I was driving I had to cruise around in 5th gear every other lap as the car was overheating.

That night we bypassed the pump.

Sunday the car ran great in the morning, until there was some contact damage to the left rear fender that had pushed into the tire and was shaving down the sidewall. We got a chain puller on that and were able to pull that out and keep racing. Then the car came in completely dead. It turns out the main fuel pump died, probably from having been starved so much the day before. We replaced it with a pump from one of the other BMW E28's that had died earlier in the day and kept racing.

Then the car did okay until the 2nd to last lap when the motor decided to give up and spin a rod bearing. I'm convinced that because we have a stock radiator and no oil cooler, (and no oil temp gauge) that the oil just got too hot and thin and the motor let go.

I'm kind of discouraged, mostly with team dynamics and prep, but at least I got 3 stints in and the car ran most of the time.
I'd really like to build my _own_ car next and prepare it properly to survive an endurance race.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

the poi posted:

Here's my brother crashing into the one thing you could crash into as far as the eye can see, as filmed by me chasing him. Only broke a bone in his hand and burst a blood vessel in his eye! He bounced across the track--if you look closely, you can see him bouncing back behind my car as I'm passing the incident...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wx9QtmFdhTo

drat was the course worker okay?

I actually enjoy that configuration and have always been super fast through those sweepers (in both directions), but my cars always have little enough power where I just keep the throttle pinned all the way through them and the rear stays planted.

Did your brother lift?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

It may be fine but I'd be worried about how the unibody is holding up on a former rally car. Like hard-to-inspect welds separating, pickup points moving, stuff like that.

But I'm totally behind the idea of you getting a single decent car to maintain

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Blooot posted:

The day ended on down note as my car picked up a horrendous rear end banging noise somewhere along the 505 that three stops with wheels off/car up on jack stands could not diagnose so I had my car towed the last 75 miles -- thanks AAA Gold!

That's always a great feeling on the drive home when you're tired and dirty and just and to get home and then poo poo like this happens :)

Find out what it was yet? Diff would be my guess

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Heading to Buttonwillow with Speedvenutures this Sat the 21st. LMK if anyone else is going

Should be perfect weather <3 SoCal

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=440

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I'm on my second set of RS3's (God's own size: 225/45-15) and they are awesome. I like them at least as well as the Kuhmo Ecsta R-comps or the NT01 R-comps I used to have.

It's a track car I occasionally drive on the street and now I only need one set of tires.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

TrueChaos posted:

I'm going 225/45 RS3's on a 15x9 wheel - it winds up being a tiny bit of stretch, and coupled with a lightweight car it stiffens up the sidewall.

I'm running that size on my E30 with a 15x8 wheel. It fits perfectly. I'm sure the 15x9 would work well too.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I'm sick of paying $20 every track day for timing, what's a good place to buy an AMB transponder from, and what should I look for in one?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

SoCal- Autoclub speedway Roval, Saturday 2/15

I just signed up for this event. I've never done the ROVAL. It looks kind of boring with it being way too fast and not enough corners, but it's less than half the distance of any other track so I have to give it a try.
Anyone run this track before?

http://www.speedventures.com/events/eventdetail.aspx?id=457

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Bumming Your Scene posted:

Which group are you in? Blue group is going to be crazy slow the first session or two because they will be doing lead-follow instruction with people that probably haven't been on a track before. That first session could be good for you just to see the track layout, but the lap times will be like 3 minutes. If you're comfortable on the track you can ask to go into the purple group after so you're with drivers that know track etiquette and are comfortable running at speed with each other.

There's 5 groups running

Red - ADVANCED drivers comfortable with open passing and race-like conditions.
Green - Advanced and High Intermediate Drivers comfortable with open passing and race-like conditions.
Black - HIGH-INTERMEDIATE drivers. Point-by passing only, anywhere on track.
Purple - Solid INTERMEDIATE drivers with 5+ events. Point-by passing only, anywhere on track.
Blue - LOW-INTERMEDIATE drivers or NOVICE drivers (with an instructor). Point-by passing only, in designated areas.

I'm running green group.

I usually run red or green group at Buttonwillow and Streets--my E30 is nearly always the lowest HP car and one of the only ones not on race tires, but I don't hold anyone up and usually end up mid pack. I move over quickly and get passed and I pass a few people. I'm comfortable with race conditions after doing Lemons and Chump.
I really like Speedventures events too, compared to say.. Xtremespeed..

The only thing is that it will take me a few laps to get up to speed with this unfamiliar track. I'll be watching a lot of in-car youtube vids.

Octopus Magic posted:

Actually it looks like something far more proud:

holy poo poo that's is so awesomely terrible lol

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

That sounds like an awesome deal, where do I sign up? I don't see it on the site

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

For once I agree with Octopus Magic.

Tomorrow morning heading to Cal Speedway with Schroth 4 points, a fixed back Momo from 1999 and no roll-bar.

Adieu, my fine goon sirs, see you on the other side!

(If you're there and see this car and I'm not dead yet, come say hi!)

aventari fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 15, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I was on the ROVAL saturday, my first time there and my best time was a 2:03.032 :) Not bad for this:

I've never had the car up to that high of speed before, probably ~130mph, and this causes the front plastic pushed fan I have to flex backwards and cut up a few rows out of the radiator at the end of session 2. (notice my coolant trail in the first pic)
As seen here:

was able to use to JBweld and fix it surprisingly and not even miss session 3

I had a ton of fun I was never bored and I like the ROVAL a lot. Also my new PNP Megasquirt worked awesome. I should probably actually tune it now instead of using the base map the builder gave me :ohdear:

Bumming Your Scene posted:

That's not me by the way, that's 2 different dudes who wear the same clothes. I'll put up a lap of mine later for comparison.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J3OD2Ux_q8

I actually ran in the purple group in session 4 for bit, I think I was out there with you :)

Vid looks like a solid run. Overall you seem to be braking a bit too early for most corners but it's so hard to tell from just video, you are probably just going hella faster than me.

In 7 and 8 I think you can keep on the throttle through that section and not start lifting/braking until you are out of 8 and setting up for 9. I stay WOT throttle from 6 until I'm turning in for 9, but againI probably have 1/3 of your hp and a lot less weight. It just looks like you could toss the car around more than you are. Also apex 9 a bit later?
As Admiral Gusto mentioned earlier

quote:

The other thing that took me a bunch of time to get right was slowing down sufficiently for the T12/T13 complex. It's tempting to carry way to much speed into T12 which just fucks up your approach to everything after that

I was super conscious of that and really late apexed 12 and I think it helped a lot.

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Feb 18, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Super lovely edit of my autoclub speedway day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIGKtq6Nik

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Nice thanks, I'll try that! That was probably the corner I had the most difficulty with. Other than that T9 was a bit tricky to trail brake into and late apex right and the rest were simple

The laps at the end of the vid I was just loving around with a hanging the tail out for the benefit of my passenger

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

the poi posted:

Have not crashed yet! One damp session, and one mostly dry. Going out in a bit on a wet track tho. So far so good! Kinda fun in the wet spots.

How did it go?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Exhaust sounds rad! Nice lap too, I like the camera placement.

My e30 is really neutral but I was having bad understeering issues in the hairpin too. I dunno

I was also having a tiny bit of understeer in 5/6 but towards the end of the day I noticed if I gave it *more* throttle mid corner it would rotate quickly. I'm not as used to RWD as I am FWD so maybe that can be a characteristic, but it was awesome once I started doing it :)

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

For street/track duty I recommend Ferodo DS2500.

I've run them on my Scirocco, Miata and my Rabbit GTI for years, mostly on the street but I've also done many track days on them (10+).

Never had noise issues on the street and never had any brake issues on the track.

https://www.topbrakes.com/c/car-items/21430/1/Street+Brake+Pads/2007+VOLKSWAGEN+GOLF+GTI+Mark+V+-+2.0+Turbo?manufacturer_id=

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I love my HT10's on the E30, I use them for street and track. The can squeal a bit though.

I've never tried the DTC-60's

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Really? I generally set up my 225/45-15 RS3's at like 28 cold and then dont touch them all day.

They get pretty high when they get hot, like 38+ probably. I never had an issue with how they work and I seem to get the right amount of rollover.

Should I be bleeding off after the first session?

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Phone posted:

How would you know that it is or isn't working if you have no data?

Because I drive it and know how it feels, also lap times, also rollover, also feeling temps with my hand, also tire wear patterns.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I noticed that as well. It also looks like you can keep more speed through 7 and 8 and trail brake more into 9. Carry more speed through 15 and 16 too: check out my line following this Mustang through there at 1:30 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbIGKtq6Nik

Looks like fun, how was the rest of the day?

aventari fucked around with this message at 08:02 on May 9, 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Honestly it's still a hell of a lot safer than commuting to work everyday.

The safety regs are more than fine, poo poo just happens sometimes. Maybe I'll put a bit more effort into getting that roll bar for my track car sooner rather than later

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

smelly cabin filter posted:

Anybody using oil coolers with thermostatic sandwich plates? I recently swapped my standard oil/water cooled turbo for a purely oilcooled one and it seems to take a lot longer to drop oiltemps than before.

Yeah all I ever use are thermostatic sandwich adapter plates to add an oil cooler.

What do you mean it takes longer to drop oil temps? Drop them from what? As I'm sure you know the point of them is to let the oil heat up to proper temp quickly and then keep the temp there so you're not hammering on the thing with cold oil.

this is what I've run on a few cars, it open up at 180F
http://www.autotech.com/product/oil-cooling/10-117-304K.html?fromcat=

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Octopus Magic posted:

A thermostat will let the car's oil warm up quicker.

Get the biggest oil cooler you can fit.

+1

And if the sandwich plate has a tstat in it already it's pointless to get the inline one. Just go with the sandwich plate. I've used Mocal ones for 15 years with zero problems.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I picked up this beast on the weekend.

You may remember, 4 years ago a friend and I did most of the work building it into a LeMons car (in a team of 6) and did one race. We decided we didn't like being the only mechanics and let the rest of the guys have it.

They did a few more races and it sat for 2 years until they lost the storage space.

I bought it from them and plan to start racing the gently caress out of it! Plans are for Arse-Freeze-apalooza 2014

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

extreme_accordion posted:

Is this the Honda!?

Yeah 93 CB7 Accord woot

NitroSpazzz posted:

Times like this (assuming open track day or similar) I just pull into the hot pits then go back out. Gives you a lap or two of fun before you catch up to the idiot again.

Of course he should have been flagged (black or blue) for holding up traffic like that.

The end of the video he says it cost him a qualifying session. It looks like that was a Time Attack day.

But yeah, should've pulled into pits. I'm sure it's easy to let your ego get the best of you when you're in a Civic about to stomp a McLaren though

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I love my 225/45-15 RS3s

Just had a private trackday at Buttonwillow on Monday with some BMWCCA ppl. It was pretty cool, $300 for the day, about 30 cars and no run groups. Just open track all day long.

There were quite a few really nice cars, new M3's, 911's, race-ready E36's and a Mclaren 650s

I brought my ugly rear end track E30 with M20 (street driven tho) and was probably the fastest there. A friend and I shared the car all day long so it got a workout in 90 degree heat, but never skipped a beat.
Obviously it's the driver and not the car but I was faster than the Mclaren by a surprisingly large margin. Obviously he pulled in the straights but through almost every corner and especially Riverside and Phil Hill I was right on him. Pretty :smug: feeling. Guy was kind of a dick and wouldn't point me by anywhere. (Point-by passing full track) I was on him for 4 laps before he pulled off.

Later, same guy in his other car--a race prepped E36, wouldn't let me by for 3 or 4 laps either. I don't get the egos on these guys.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I talked to him after the first time just because I wanted to check out the car. I just mentioned I was behind him and he said he saw me and left it at that.

Honestly I didn't mind being stuck behind it watching the cool rear wing go up during high speed braking and enjoyed being on track with a car much nicer than I'll ever be able to afford.

It was a private day put on for friends and friends-of-friends, so I didn't want to be a dick about anything because I may be faster, blah blah.

The next no point by in the E36 didn't happen till later and it's not a big deal, just something I thought was funny.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I don't see the Lemons/Chump thread.. Anyone here going to the Sonoma Lemons race in December?

Gonna be there in the GoPro E28 again!

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I've been really happy with my Schroth Flex SHR for the past 4 years, but it really hurt my collarbones until I added some extra pads on it.

mekilljoydammit posted:

Race day... could have gone better. Basically it was about 10 degrees hotter, the Toyo RRs got greasy and I didn't twig to it until a third of the way into the race... after metal to metal during a too-aggressive pass. Oops. Oh well, very light contact, not the worst that could happen, but embarrassing.

I've been racing 944Spec for the past 2 years on 225/50-15 Toyo RRs and our common wisdom is that you don't want to be in no mans land of 33-36 psi hot. I typically shoot for 28-32 hot. You can go higher (38-40 hot) but they seem to overheat faster to me and are slower.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

Oof 924/944 clutches *suck*. I've been racing Spec944 for the past 2 years ask me how I know.

I was super happy to see your car in the Lemons social photos.

RE: brakes, I use this when changing pads to clean up rotors and get a new transfer layer: https://www.amazon.com/Brush-Research-Flex-Hone-Rotors-Medium/dp/B007INTE3Q

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I love reading all of the reports. Randy is def a great guy, he's alwyas hanging around the Lucky Dog races.

For me I'm getting the Spec944 ready for NASA Nationals at Laguna Seca in a few weeks. It's going to be live broadcast with real announcers so that should be fun.

I just have to install the new ECU and air flow meter and "tune" the AFRs.

KillHour posted:

One of the instructors for NASA Great Lakes started racing cars because he's in a wheelchair from racing motorcycles. Those guys are loving nuts.

Yeah I daily a CBR1000rr on the street and I'll do motorcycle trackdays but every time I think about actually racing bikes I feel like it's probably a death sentence for my health and welfare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

It was on youtube, sorry I didn't get a link in time to post.

Ended up getting 2nd!

It was a crazy race, lots of drama with guys from Colorado bringing CHEATUR motors, my car cutting out during the qualifying race, and then unexpected heavy rain during the main race. Everyone on dry slicks made it very interesting

I qualified 5th, got up to 3rd in the qualifying race on Saturday, and then got 2nd in the Sunday main.
Was leading the race for 3 or 4 laps, then got cocky trying to do some cool drifts out of turn 11 and got passed :-/

I posted my on-board vid here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b13wxHn442o