Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=alton%2C+va

Oh hell yes, perfect weather for VIR north course this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Phone posted:

Last weekend at VIR, braking from 90 to 40 in T1, 75 to 45 in T3, and 75 to 40 in T4 was enough to warm them and the tires up on a 70F ambient day.

The DTCs are actually pretty good about cold braking, I would blow stop signs for the first 5 minutes of my commute on HT-10s.

I think the question is how aren't you getting them up to temp? We ran back to back sessions in Phone's car at VIR. He would take his cooldown 1/2 lap, get out and I'd get in and get out to track. I was able to go at it as if the tires/brakes were fully warmed after braking for the first turn after pit out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm pretty sure my Miata would have glazed its HT-10s by the 8th 60-10. :psyduck:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If it's too tight it'll give you a headache after a bit. So throw it on, play some racing games on the computer while you look ridiculous and see how it turns out.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
One step closer to getting this car on track. Just need to prime/paint the cage and pull the motor for some maintenance and it's ready.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I remember doing tire changes in the rain on a Chumpcar and having the lug nuts steaming in my glove.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
While that's all true. You also managed to not hit him and you went off straight so you did do a good bit right.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Anyone have any ideas for good starting pressures for Hankook Z214 C51s? They are 225/45r15 on a ~2350# (as raced weight) Miata.

I saw some miata.net posts saying shoot for the general area of 36-38 hot, anyone have any experiences to back that up? These things are pretty clapped out so I'm not expecting much out of them. The rears have a nice blue ring on the edges of the tread.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
There was also a driver in PTD that got airlifted to the hospital that day. Two cars involved in that one but the driver of the other car walked away. Rumor says that the passenger side a-piller was a few inches from his helmet. Tree[s] were also involved.

There is a thread on RRAX with a ton if info and the less-injured driver posting.

http://www.roadraceautox.com/showthread.php?49404-Red-flag-at-Hyperfest/page2&p=1429935#post1429935

FatCow fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Jun 10, 2014

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Do you know anything about his safety gear? Rumor is that he had a bolt in cage that failed (passenger forward hoop was ~center car and driver side forward hoop tore off the floorpan) and a OEM style seat with a back brace.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Bumming Your Scene posted:

What temperature is too hot to show up to the track?

Race car or street car?

The number doesn't exist for a street car. And doesn't exist for a race car if you add a cool suit.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Because racecar. and 141k mile tow vehicle

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Set a new PB this weekend at VIR. Got held up a little bit at the end as well. Turned a 2:25.99. Looks like unobstructed laps in the class I'm going to run are in the 2:18 range though. I have a lot of work to do. I need to loosen the car up some more as well as get 30 more whp. I dont think those things will add more than a few seconds though.

http://youtu.be/hfCPXTlmsm0

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

I miss having a black car. There is rubber all over this thing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I put the blame for poo poo like that on the organizers.

I did a weekend with Track Daze in their intermediate group a few weeks ago. They originally had it posted that they were going to do 4 run groups, I signed up for the 2nd to highest since I haven't run full course VIR in a year or so. They then squashed it down to 3 run groups and didn't ask anyone where they would like to be placed.

Now a completely stock powered Miata should get stomped on VIR full course. However, I can't post a single full session's video because I gesture to the corner workers or other drivers in every one after getting stuck behind drivers that don't pay attention to what's behind them.

Here was the worst session. Also keep in mind all of our classroom sessions were basically the decent drivers complaining about the lack of passing signals. Pay attention to the lap numbers.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
poo poo just got real. I guess I should finish building this thing and get a log book for it at some point now.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I start to feel like I'm finally getting close to driving the car properly, but then I watch a video of a buddy in a fairly comparable car that is 3s/lap faster than me.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Learn how to cable lace or zip ties.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
If you have a rollbar or cage just get this mount. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=CM1-2&Category_Code=CM It makes loving perfect video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFTNl8bcJUA

VV nope, VIR VV

FatCow fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 3, 2014

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Sadi posted:

Or RS3s they won most of autocross nationals this year.

Wrong thread bro.

Rivals feel way better on track.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

So is Spec3 already dead?

Not yet. The founders of se46 said they were hoping to draw people from GTS more than the other BMW spec classes.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
The pressure listed on the sides is the max cold pressure, if your hot temps go above that pressure you're ok. Putting chalk over those wear arrows will at least give you some confidence you're not destroying your tires.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

nm posted:

Every single person I've talked to say Rivals get greasy on the track with anything heavier than a miata.

I track a Miata. :v:

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
What radios are you guys using?

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Woo, NASA-MA has 3 weekends on the schedule for the new Dominion Raceway.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Oof. 90lbs underweight. Is plate steel the way to go for ballast? I can very easily mount some plate steel to the OEM bolt holes for the passenger seat. The plan is to make a knockoff of this: http://blog.miataracer.com/2012/04/making-weight-on-spec-miata-east-street.html.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Mar 8, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Passed NASA comp school and did my first two races. Forgetting everything I learned in HPDEs and saying 'gently caress the guy behind me' is kinda hard. I also set a new PB at VIR during qualifying. 1.1s better than my old time with 100 extra lbs of ballast in the car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_Ygy_egE3Q

Just need to work on 'not being slow as poo poo' and finish prepping the car.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Protip: After you add 100lbs+ of ballast to your Miata. Reset the ride height.

These were the adjustments I had to make. At least it's positioned well since Miatas tend to be light in the RR.
code:
LF - +0              RF - +9/16"
LR - +1/2"           RR - +7/8"

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Here is a tip for you guys. Make sure your parking brake is fully disengaged before heading out for a 40 minute race. Good thing Hawk has an awesome contingency program.

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 4, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
It killed me on the race start and at least from T1-T3 at VIR. The car was noticeably slow on the start. I don't think it did anything for more than a lap though. VIR is a pretty fast track and the pads would wear down to the point where the parking brake wasn't doing anything pretty quick.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Is anyone racing at VIR in July with NASA? Sounds like a lot of out of region people are coming down to get practice for Eastern Nationals.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

Marauder Stig posted:

I'll hopefully make it to VIR for NASA in July. What kind of rules does VIR have regarding camping at the track overnight?

Primitive camping anywhere on their property if you buy the camping pass.

Come find me I'll be in PTE 146. Lately PTE has been paddocking near the gas pump.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'll be at utcc as well. I'm not driving but a buddy of mine is going through comp school and I'm going to crew for him.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I'm racing so I could show up Saturday morning and register since racing (pretty much) never fills up. When I did instructed DEs I would try to register at least 2-3 weeks before the event.

https://www.motorsportreg.com/events/2015-thscc-john-mullis-memorial-hpde-virginia-intl-full-course-tarheel-150794#.VacT6vlVhBc

FatCow fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Jul 16, 2015

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
Or an RX-7 with a blown motor.

http://oppositelock.kinja.com/fatal-accident-at-road-atlanta-1721931526?rev=1438663370540

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
As someone who interviews a lot of people. Don't put track days on your resume. If you're interviewing somewhere not lovely they'll ask you what your hobbies are at some point.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

nollij posted:

I just have a hard time imagining a slower lap time from a wider tire where the drawback is additional rotational mass (less of an impact for power:weight classing).

Also aero drag and rolling resistance.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

deep impact on vhs posted:

e: does anyone have a car they use as both a track day car and a daily driver? if so, how do you handle insurance? do you just not tell your insurance company it's gonna be a track car?

You can, and I know people who do. I'd say most of them aren't single car households though. Just keep in mind you still have to get into work on Monday. That might be difficult if you flatspot a tire down to cords or lunch a wheel bearing.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002

1500quidporsche posted:

I somehow lost mine and need a replacement. With my kart the glasses would always be an issue and after about 7 laps they'd be out of place and scratching up my nose.

You're going to be moving your head considerably less in a car, that should help. I'm not a glasses wearer so I can't offer specific advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I almost Spec Miata'd our race start on Sunday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muwfr52SxlQ