Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
gently caress autocross. Every time I've gone I get 4 runs at most, you spend more time sawing at the wheel than getting real car feel, etc. It's balls, but doing it once or twice before going to the track is a great idea. I'll probably take the 240 when it's done for shits though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Whats a pretty summer fun/track tire for a ~2800 lbs car?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Street legal for sure. Also RWD and ~300hp.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Phone posted:

American Muscle? I can't find weights on them anywhere.

Forgestar F14, 17x10 +55

17.75lb

Wrar fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Apr 11, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Going to the NHRA 4 wide in Charlotte NC on Saturday. Should be awesome to watch 9000+ HP tear down the strip 4 wide.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Why do anything over CAN? Especially since you acquisition rates are so much higher than it's capable of? I can see the advantage of sensor sync, but couldn't a recorder just sample the camera or at 15 or 30hz and keep the full data stream somewhere else?

Wrar fucked around with this message at 14:10 on Jul 17, 2016

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
This guy just needs to buy a Porsche cup and call it a day. Yeesh.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Lol at autocross being hard on brakes. Not compared to track time.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Trail braking an older 911 is supposed to be hella tricky given the weight balance.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

The Prong Song posted:

I'm not buying SM cars, I'm buying track-prepped Miatas :) If HPDE ever turns out to be not enough I'll look at converting whatever I get at that time.

Speaking of:
https://raleigh.craigslist.org/cto/d/track-prepped-2000-miata/6454362942.html

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
If you actually race doesn't Mazda's contingency program poo poo on everyone elses, AKA parts pretty much at cost?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
What about a thermal camera? :v

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Wife, friend and I did one of those supercar experience things and now she wants to do racing school. Any of my fellow VIR area goons have recommendations? As much as I would love to do a rally school, road racing school will get us more seat time because VIR is a little over an hour away. Just not enough events in the dirt.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I think I ran with Chin once at Homestead. It was a very well organized event IIRC.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
How the gently caress do you spin on your way into Oak Tree?

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Those tubes look really small.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I made a spreadsheet of the majority of currently approved FIA 8855-1999 seats from the FIA's awful PDF document. There are some some cheaper options from Bimarco, which is a Polish company, and a Taiwanese company (TRP).

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1RfEP5Qvk21YjuUs7UI-siI4aUDZmLS-XSbOXmZa3qRo/edit?usp=sharing

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Castrol SRF is the best fluid you can buy as a normal person. I found a chart of fluids and the costs. I found a big chart for reference and threw it in a doc

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13Ac-svDcQqpZh_prSbVaNQm3Qx_a2532821Npfjv7pI/edit?usp=drivesdk

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
TYP200 is a great track day fluid and Good Enough for most purposes.

Jegs also has a fluid with better specs that is even cheaper than TYP200.

Wrar fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Oct 7, 2019

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
A guy who did a HPDE at VIR oil starved his. https://www.jegs.com/i/Moroso/710/23900K/10002/-1 Oil accumulator kit.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
I imagine they might start writing exceptions if the parts don't exist.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
:stare:

Not driving on that is the correct call. Yikes.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Autocross the Golf. It'll be fun. :)

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

no lube so what posted:

I vote going full track rat and get a kswapped Fit. Easy on tires, can haul everything to the track, room for big guys, rips

For that 35k you could have a fun car, and enough cash for hella track time

This is wisdom.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

KillHour posted:

Here are my two best sessions from last weekend. Car had a lot of overheating issues, but I think I still put down a few decent times. Sad I couldn't get to the 2:10 mark on the second day but I think it was just too hot for the poor car. Definitely appreciate any feedback on what I'm loving up (other than my heel-toe I know that is absolutely horrid. I need to get new pedal covers because holy poo poo is it bad in this car).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B8Ok2t2r-Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e9ES8CbyAE

Actually, does anyone have experience with pedal sets in the FoRS? I'd like some recommendations. This situation is dire.

Yes. The Steeda pedals are cool and good. I have a set for my ST and it makes a huge positive difference. I only put on the throttle but that's the only one you need. https://www.steeda.com/steeda-555-1...VQaAlIOEALw_wcB

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Data Graham posted:

So I am apparently going to be competing in a 14-hour ChampCar endurance race at Daytona at the end of March, part of a 3-man team driving this:

Which is light and simple enough to start at 250 points, so much can be done to beef it up without going over the 500-point limit where you start incurring penalties (as most of the other cars will, as I understand it).

Construction has been going on for a few weeks now. Lots of custom-cut parts — brake hats, airfoils, struts, cooling plates. The coilovers get here allegedly Wednesday, the (12) wheels tomorrow, and I'll be on the phone all day trying to harangue them into shipping the wing which is the last big component. Rollcage and vinyl wrapping is happening this week.

Safety gear is all here and fits.

We don't expect to win anything, just to shake down the team and the car so we can do it all over again a month or two later at Sebring.

If Top Gear has taught me anything, this should be both fun and agonizing

That looks too nice to put into Champ/Chump :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Y'all don't have road legal roll bars? That's odd. They make the car safer.