Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'd do this. Hell, part of the reason I've never gone much for a track day is because I've never had anything that I could track without worrying about the cost to repair / replace, and without ruining it for daily use (before I sold it the Miata definitely was cheap enough to track, but I'd need to put a rollbar in it - and any bar tall enough to pass for me would mean no top of any sort would ever work).

Maybe in a few years when the MS3 has 200k miles and I've bought my wife something newer...

I'm considering this myself. Out here I really only use the car for fun/track days, I don't actually need it for anything because the train system here is excellent. I'm thinking barely streetable with some safety equipment (full rollbar setup, harnesses etc) now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Some Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I know what you mean. In the NASA stuff i do when i get a break, i field a little late model with around 500 to the ground and most people I see driving cars that should blow me away I eat up because they're afraid to actually use more than 1/2 of what their car is capable of. I've always maintained that people shouldn't go straight to low-traction RWD v8s for track day stuff simply because it never teaches them how to manage power effectively, which leads to easy spooking under race conditions and unpredictable drivers.

I was showing my uncle video of me in NASA HPDE 2 at Infineon (late in the day after they opened up passing) and he was surprised I was passing so many cars. I think I passed 20 people in 4 laps or something like that, same story - those porsches, that shelby, etc etc always just driven by someone too afraid to drive it.

Conversely there's frequently a nutter or three running some high HP car bragging about having the traction control off, who then invariably bins it. I feel like HPDE 3 is the most 'dangerous' group because it's all the guys who got signoff but aren't experienced enough to dare driving in 4.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
The Virginia City Hillclimb is back this year, with the original clubs running it (FCA Pacific and Norcal SAAC) and due to lower participation in the past couple of years I've been asked by the organizers to find people who would be interested in doing the hillclimb. It's open to all makes officially now, same very lax rules apply which amount to having a 2.5lb mounted extinguisher, a helmet, and if you feel like it Nomex. It is not a 10/10ths event as some of you may recall we've had fatalities in the past, one of which ended a much more publicized competitor event which only ran for the one year.

That being said it's the most fun you can have with your street car in the US. Think of it as an informal Pike's Peak with a shorter, less lethal course. Here's a video of my friend who I call "crazy Jeff" running it in his GT3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlr73KZ6WsM

We strongly encourage people to have at least an HPDE under their belts if not "real" racing experience (even chumpcar/lemons will do) and the event is geared towards "high performance" cars, so don't bring your Miata unless it's got an LSx under the hood.

If you're interested please PM me.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Blooot posted:

I'm sure it's fine. DV just can't help but sound this way when he posts.

Says the king of the yuppie hipsters from his neo-SoHo ivory tower.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
I'm going to Sonoma Raceway tomorrow for the norcal shelby mini-nats, and to satisfy their requirements for a 4-point I installed the Schroth quick fit pro. It isn't as good as a full bucket/harness setup but it's better than the stock setup and easy to install/remove.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

rotard posted:

Does that use factory pickups or did use some form of harness bar?

It uses the factory mounting points and belt latches, makes for easy installation and removal. I considered a harness bar but I lacked the time to get all the stuff necessary. It might get a GTS rollbar and some more aggressive seats in the future.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Are NT01s out of stock everywhere or just DTD? I can't find a set at a place that will actually complete my order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Got any photos?