Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Admirable Gusto posted:

Or perhaps it's time to say gently caress it and get a dedicated track car

I'd do this. Hell, part of the reason I've never gone much for a track day is because I've never had anything that I could track without worrying about the cost to repair / replace, and without ruining it for daily use (before I sold it the Miata definitely was cheap enough to track, but I'd need to put a rollbar in it - and any bar tall enough to pass for me would mean no top of any sort would ever work).

Maybe in a few years when the MS3 has 200k miles and I've bought my wife something newer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I figured you'd sold that car when you got the 2. Glad to see I was wrong.

Also, I wonder just how bad of an idea tracking a Mazda2 would be. Can't imagine the consumables would cost any more than they do for a Miata.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You've got a C5Z, right? Are the C6 seats any better / if so, can they be swapped in?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Chrysotile posted:

So the wife and I finally got the schedules to line up so we could take the V and make the trek down to Gainesville to make a few passes. She had never done it before, and I'd only done it twice in my old cobalt. Nonetheless, we were pumped.

First pass I drove and she watched, so she could get a feel for it. I was so excited to run that I didn't even remember to air down the rears. I drove around the waterbox too. Hell, after I got to the timeslip booth, I realized that I didn't shut off the fancy dual zone climate control properly and the compressor was still running.

Result? (Right lane)

Could not believe it! I was just trying to get the car down straight and show the wife what to look for, hand signals to watch, etc. I was shocked at how well the pass was.

Of course, that was the best run I'd have all night. But we're hooked, and already making plans to go back again. Had an awesome time.

Going back to this one. Yes, the A/C shuts off while you're at WOT on most cars, but you still want to have it shut off in advance if you can - the condensation has to go somewhere, and a lot of times that somewhere is on the ground for your tires to run over and cause traction issues.

And assuming you have street tires on the car, driving around the waterbox is exactly what you want to do. Nearly any street tire is going to do better from a quick dry hop than they are roasting in a waterbox. The deeper treads on street tires (especially your fronts) can drag water forward so that your tires may still actually be wet when you go to launch. So you actually did that part right.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

If you can get to AZ in a hurry, there's a deal on Bondurant's 4-day racing school:

Pretty good price.

Gonna kick that over to my dad, thanks for posting it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Wouldn't be surprised if he lost it for the same reason Will Power gave:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8otRz0bJ1OE&t=1s

Those seams are bastards and a 911 GT3 is easily hauling enough speed through there to be upset by them in a bad way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Get one of those to iRacing, please.

That's really cool. Any expectation on how far you'll be able to go at race pace on a full charge?

The bodystyle makes it even more like it's a full scale version of the old 1/12 scale pan cars I used to race :)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Everything else the same or perfectly balanced, what would the effect of having a 5psi difference in the rear tires be?
Assume an LSD and double-wishbone suspension if those specifics matter. Could that tire pressure difference cause consistent tail sliding out to one side under tire slip?

I'd be more surprised if a 5 psi difference didn't do something like that. You're going to have one rear tire that is effectively fat more grippy but far less responsive than the other.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

sig11 posted:

I had my first serious on track (or for that matter on street) incident yesterday morning. I was chasing a Corvette and Grattan Raceway and as I came up the hill the car just suddenly darted left after an upshift. I'm not sure if something broke or if I hosed up the clutch release but I remember it being smooth.

Unless that 350Z is making stupid power, that doesn't seem like a place where a rough upshift should cause you to snap around like that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

As long as the car is safe / passes tech, I think everyone would much rather teach you in a slow car, than have you be a newbie who has no idea how to handle the 500hp supercar you wrote a fat check for.

Besides, at any sort of track day where you're just talking about regular guys and not actual race drivers on the track, a good driver in a slow car will often still be faster than a new driver in a much, much faster car.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

drgitlin posted:

I wrote a thing about the Brainerd WRL race, comparing what sort of physical workload I had in the car with Kurt Busch's experience doing the double: http://arstechnica.com/cars/2014/10/the-agony-and-ecstasy-of-grassroots-racing/

Bonus Nitrospazz action in this one too.

Awesome read, though you keep calling the Coca-Cola 600 the "Daytona 600" a couple times :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

It's about what you'd spend for the other B-Spec efforts (the HPD Honda Fit, the SCCA Mazda2 and Fiesta).

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/b-spec-racers-honda-fit-vs-kia-rio5-mazda-2-mini-cooper-hatchback-comparison-tests

Didn't the main class for those cars already get wiped out, though?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's a shitload of various G-meters / performance meters / other useless poo poo that someone who is that bad at driving has no business even knowing about, and someone who is actually qualified to flog a GT-R at full speed wouldn't even dream of looking at while driving.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Holy poo poo, nice save.

Also, one hell of a start. Last to first before you're even to the top of the hill.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Rename it to Hydrofest.

Why yes, I do miss the old days of ESPN2.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Phone posted:

Everyone you dive bomb is a loving moron who needs to be black flagged until they learn how to use their god drat mirrors.

Everyone who dive bombs you is a loose cannon and should probably be black flagged for their reckless and dangerous driving style.

So, iRacing is right!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In the case of the custom six-lug rotors off of my C10: drive on them for 18 years and 50k+ miles, then sell on Craigslist for $100 :haw:

If I don't have a future use for them (i.e. I'm not going to save them and have them turned next time I need to do brakes) then they go in the pile for the next time I haul poo poo to the scrapyard.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Blaise posted:

I've noticed this. Is there not a standard MTS tire test standard to run these on?

I'd always heard that tire wear ratings were manufacturer-specific and not based in reality at all. i.e. a Hankook TW200 and a Hankook TW600 could be compared to each other, but a Hankook TW200 and a Kumho TW200 could be wildly different.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I have one. I only once used it for autocross and have used it a handful of times offroad. It's nice if you can get it to work, but it is fiddly as hell to set up.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

What I usually do is slide my seat back a notch, pull my seat belt so the inertia lock locks up with just enough room to buckle it, buckle it and then slide back forward with the seat. Do it right and it'll be so snug you'll have a bruise on your shoulder by the end of the day. First time I tried it in an autocross it knocked a second and a half off my time. On a road course it's indispensable.

Look at this guy who doesn't already sit at the extreme rear end of the seat rails.

:sigh:

nm posted:

They work well, but will chew the gently caress out of your b pillar where the belt retracts.
If you have a weak seatbelt retract, expect to have to help it along.

The retractors on both cars I've used this in were horribly weak so I only leave the drat thing installed when I actually am going to use it.

I've been half tempted to drill the plastic of the seatbelt latch to let the screws go through it instead of just pinching it, but that seems like it might be a few steps too far into "Bad Idea".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

6'4. My default "step 1" of adjusting any car I get into has always been seat as far back as it will go. I haven't been in a 911 since I was a kid, and never in the driver's seat. Clearly I'd be more comfortable in one of those :getin:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Muffinpox posted:

Having to carry fuel instead of having a fuel cart made my triceps look hella jacked and I could see all the miata boys taking a gander when I'd walk by but gently caress lugging those around again. 30 minute intervals for driving was more tiring on the crew than the driver.
             /

Seriously, love this post (and Kimbo's too) for real-world experiences. One of these days...

...it'd be easier if the Firebird Lemons race hadn't been a one-and-done :(

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm guessing he wanted you to brake harder, later. The couple of times I ran a shifter kart I had the same problem, trying to force myself to wait until the last second to brake.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Is that the sort of thing an Accusump might help with, or at least give you some buffer?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

This part I don't get:

quote:

And it shows how we keep it from going too fast on front stretch, dialing the boost from 1.3 to 1 bar above 280km/h, dropping almost 400hp off.

Is there a maximum speed they're allowed to hit on that, or are they just concerned about smashing into the redline?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

What about intentionally running harder tires so they break loose before the suspension gets overloaded?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That's the one going in nearish Casa Grande, right?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Your video link pasted wrong.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

This is really weird, but the video freezes at 6s, even though the audio keeps going. Happens on both Chrome and FF, even though other YT videos are playing fine.

I just had it happen at 29 seconds on my phone. Weird.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

How flexible are the lines? Wonder if you can work on a car while wearing one.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

net work error posted:

I've started considering karting as a cheaper way to do racing lately. Curious if anyone itt has experience with them.

I've done a couple shifter kart sessions at Bondurant and learned two things:

1) I'm wide enough that I just don't fit those drat things
2) I do not possess enough fortitude to hold the throttle / stay away from the brake long enough to be anything but painfully slow. Holy gently caress you need to drive those things in deep.

Very cool, but not for me.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Their single speed karts are much more my style, I got to do that on a vendor's dime a year or two ago. I can at least fit in those and in a group of something like 50 random people I came out in the top 10. They structured it as a heat / main event type deal and I finished second in my heat, and immediately turned around and got back in for the main. Think I finished eighth, definitely could hardly pull myself out of the kart afterwards because my arms were so beat the gently caress up.

The shifter karts... they wanted me to brake around here for that immediate next left, and if I remember right it was also sixth down to second.

Vaguely related, on the other end of the spectrum I've also done a run at Whiteland Raceway in Indiana. The most clapped out racing karts I've ever seen, and the first time I've ever encountered brake fade in kart. As in, completely lost them with two laps left in the session.

Not my video but seems to capture it well enough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuVdy5ijvak

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Sep 17, 2018

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

No kidding, and the camera would have had a better chance than the driver at seeing it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

Just a little story about ride height I found funny - for the longest time it's been fairly standard practice in Spec Miata to set the car low, to ride on the bumpstops. That was mostly due to the awful quality of the allowed shock package. There is a new shock package for the next racing year, an actual racing shock by Penske; during the combined Q&A session Randy Pobst, who was one of the test drivers, mentioned that you wouldn't want to ride on the bumpstops anymore, and then got come confused-racer questions about "what no bumpstops? Why wouldn't you do that?" followed by him patiently explaining when you have an actual race shock that does what it's supposed to, riding on the bumpstops is a BAD IDEA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBlePjBjKn4&t=1401s

This is very reminiscent of the time when everyone (developers included) realized that maybe there was a reason 1967 F1 cars weren't slammed to the ground on super-stiff springs, and suddenly GPL was at least drivable.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Dave Inc. posted:

Of course, I didn't want him behind me. He immediately ran up behind the guy in front of me and did the same. It was only through a chicane at Barber, he came up on me through it and I pointed him by at the exit.

The organizers told me later that he said he was trying to keep momentum and was "anticipating the point by".

That still seems insanely risky on his part.

Also I will forever be jealous of that gorgeous 911.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The funny thing is, watching the video the first time I didn't even catch a whole lot of it. The part that blows my mind is that was apparently under a full course yellow - seems like they're all going awfully fast for FCY conditions? Granted, that dipshit is the only one passing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

And at any rate... understanding what yellow flags are and how to handle them are literally racing 101. So, yes, I would absolutely expect any racing official to be utterly livid if someone was flagrantly disregarding something so loving basic.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Goddamn that's good.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

There's also the issue of getting a K-swapped S2K through emissions now... but are you even keeping that car registered / legal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I do drive the car occasionally on the street now, but I've heard it might be able to be insured through Haggary and become emission exempt by doing that. Don't know much about it though.

I just wish that there was any documentation at all available on how to perform an AZ-compliant engine swap into an OBD-II vehicle. But yeah if Hagerty will insure that car, it meets the state definition of "limited use insurance" and from then on your registration renewals will be labeled no emissions required. It's what I have on my C10 and it hasn't been to an emissions station in over a decade now. Plus I can register it for five years at a shot.