Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

NitroSpazzz posted:

poo poo that's really good. Is there anything similar that's more nationwide? I've looked into different programs but doing track days and racing in several states makes it kind of tricky.

Yeah they don't seem to cover the region we race in.

I've found a couple of racing insurance places, will get some quotes and report back in here in case anyone else is also looking for coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

User Error posted:

Is anybody going to be at Road America for the Chumpcar race next month? We did a track day last weekend to shake the car down and test out the new suspension. Still needs a few things but we're looking forward to a good race free of mechanical problems.

I'd love to go back but our car is no longer chump-legal. Doing Mid-Ohio with WRL in a couple of weeks instead (and trying out a Z51 with the PDR on Friday's track day; check Ars Technica next month for a feature about it and also AutosportLabs' RaceCapture.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
NitroSpazzz are you guys doing Mid-Ohio next weekend?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Wow it's colder than the 2011 Road America Chumpcar race. The Corvette I have borrowed from GM is on summer tires. Not sure how well that's going to work on tomorrow's track day!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone bring snow tires this time? Good luck and stay warm.

We might actually have to buy a set of cheap all seasons for tomorrow. The Golf is a little bit more manageable than the Corvette today; can't give it any gas in the corners or it wants to find the Armco! Faster on a straight line though :D

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah we're not racing today. The plan is still to go out tomorrow though!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The all seasons were probably a mistake this morning. The team that beat us in GP3 was about three laps ahead at the end, and we probably lost at least six or eight minutes between having to change tires at the first stop and having garbage chinese tires (they would totally have helped if we'd have run yesterday though).

My driving was OK but I didn't push the car hard enough (I'm rusty as hell after not racing for a couple of years) but the team did great, Mid Ohio is a blast (even with this weather) and as ever Joey and the WRL put on an amazing event.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

the poi posted:

I misplaced a wheel on track yesterday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtYjujhW27Q

That is awesome. I lost a rear wheel at BIR a few years ago and wasn't quite as excited but I had to wait for the gopro footage to watch it go rolling by as the car span. :D

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

Before moving south I did several track days with snow on the ground and a cold wet track. Just take your time warming up tires, brakes and keep in mind the racing line will get dry/hot a lot faster than the surrounding and it isn't too bad. Did make me regret pulling the heather core. poo poo most of the RA spring/fall races we've done have had race start below freezing and light snow.

It a much shittier feeling on a bike, would not recommend.

It was pretty scary in the Stingray too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Phone posted:

I have a team in NC. Our poo poo got kicked in and we're getting it fixed. Depending on how Chump goes, we might be shopping around for a new series.

If you haven't been there, CMP is brutal on brakes.

WRL has everything you need. And no 600 page rule book. There's a race at VIR in December.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

FatCow posted:

Everything I need, except decent scheduling.

e: Or fields larger than the average Spec Miata field.

A new race in a region the series is just moving into on a weekend when it snows will of course have a small field. But as nitrospazzz says, once people know about it you get 90 car fields.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
What is it with lovely weather and track days? Snow at Mid Ohio last month, then it pissed down with rain at Summit Point today. Happily it cleared up after lunch, and I got to drive a Cayman GT4.

OMFG that car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Really glad I didn't bother flying out for BIR last weekend. The Golf went through not one but two engines. Saturday it blew a hole in the block, Sunday someone had a brainfade and let all the coolant out during a pitstop...

And I hate that track because it's just so boring to drive.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I swear that drat car is cursed, double when running at BIR. Was sad to see it off the track both days, a few of our drivers like running with it. Weren't you guys building a cheater BMW or something?

There is a BMW that needs to be built, but Nick and Kent seem to want to keep running the Golf :(

I think the issue is no one has the time to put into it right now.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

How comfortable are they in car?

I can't compare directly because I haven't worn one with a six point harness, but you don't really notice wearing it after a few minutes.

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 8, 2017

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Oh, I see what it is: http://www.fia.com/technical-list-ndeg25-recognised-standards-helmets

Unless the helmet has both SAH2010 or SAH2015 *and* an FIA sticker too, you can't use in it FIA races.

WRT head-and-neck restraints generally, it seems lunacy not to wear one if the car has a harness.

If I had the cash I'd probably get one of these Simpson Hybrids rather than the HANS I currently use: http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint

The FIA version is certified for use with three-point belts as well, so you can use it on a track day in a normal car. GM and Ford bought a whole bunch and bring them to the media events where we get to drive on track.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Really it's not less comfortable than a HANS.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

jamal posted:

I checked with my distributors today and was disappointed they don't have any hans devices. Could have sworn one of them had schroth and their thing looks decent. Kind of weird because they have seats, harnesses, suits, helmets, etc.

AIUI Schroth have the European license for HANS devices. The US ones are made by Simpson. (Just checked mine and it's a Simpson.)

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
We got a Schroth Enduro for the race car and it's amazing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

BIR is fun but yeah it gets old after running it a half dozen times back to back. Off the top of my head I'd say check out Gingerman, Road America and Black Hawk Farms...maybe Autobahn. They aren't as close but they're fun tracks

BIR is literally the most boring track I've raced IRL. It's almost as dull as Tskuba in Forza or Gran Turismo.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I've used an HJC AR10 (pretty sure it was that model) for the last few years and have no complaints.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

Have you worn any motorcycle helmets for any length of time? What were they?

Nope, just racing helmets, sorry.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

BlackMK4 posted:

I was thinking about that since I love my Arai, especially since they have literally saved my life twice.
I was worried about the shell thickness not being enough at the tether area and figured MAYBE SA helmets have some extra shell there? Is that a thing?

I don't think it's a extra shell, it's just that they've been tested by Snell (and usually the FIA) and that process costs money.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

Do you guys find balaclavas help keep helmet padding cleaner/fresher?
They're not required for LeMons, but I would get one just to keep my helmet nicer.

Yes, and buy more than one if you're going to be driving more than one stint. Having to put a damp balaclava back on is just one more thing to complain about in the car.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

The Prong Song posted:

Realized from (some of) the responses I got that I shouldn't have been asking silly trackday questions in the general chat thread. (Thanks Wrar) I'll try here and actually cover everything.

Situation is, I've been doing trackdays off and on for over a decade; almost always with my daily driver and almost always with the minimum safety equipment required by the club and minimum modifications required to make the car sustain track usage. My situation has stabilized a bit more now and I'm looking at attending NASA HPDE events regularly at VIR, Summit Point, and possibly AMP. My DD is a completely-stock 135is.

I've got a Bell Snell2015 helmet and some Sparco shoes. I'm looking at getting a lot more person safety equipment this season - suit, fire-resistant gloves, under-suit wear, HANS, etc. Any suggestions on price and performance ratios equipment for a 5'11" chubby dude with a big chest?

As for the vehicle, I've heard tales of limp mode being activated by high oil temps. If my first event shows that, I'll get an add-on oil cooler, but in the meantime I'm looking at wheels, tires, and brakes. After consideration of the cost I won't be running a square setup, so unless someone has a better suggestion I'll be going with Apex ARC-8 wheels. I was thinking Nitto NT01 tires, and Hawk Blue pads on Centric blanks.

Suggestions? Comments?

Does the car have a harness? There’s no point getting a HANS if it doesn’t, but there’s a Simpson FIA-rated equivalent that is certified for use with three-point seatbelts: http://www.ogracing.com/simpson-fia-hybrid-head-and-neck-restraint (the non-FIA one is half the price but not certified for three-point belts)

I’ve used them at a couple of events (Ford and GM bought a whole load) and they’re pretty good. Pricey though!

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Pretty sure 993 prices crept well above $30k a while ago

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

track day bro! posted:

Apparently he did, to be fair it looked like the momentum still took him back across the track.

But yeah, if it goes round put two feet down is a great idea. It saved me from spinning back onto the apex of a corner on a freezing cold day where I turned in way too hard on cold tyres once.

I had a pal that used to run a bunch of Formula Renaults for single seater experiences. You'd get people who've never driven anything like that spin them, not put both feet down causing the engine to spin backwards and they'd always backfire out of the intake destroying the expensive carbon intake plenums.

I tried out some Radicals at VIR last month and despite that warning one of the other attendees spun at the Fishhook and bought himself an $800 trophy (the price of a new starter motor, he got to keep the destroyed one).

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
A wet track is the best track.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yes I imagine that sucks even more than spectating in the wet.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'll check out the HJC, my dirt bike HJC never gave me headaches. I'd love to splurge for a Arai quality helmet but that's :homebrew:

My old helmet is a low end Gforce and it's uncomfortable as hell, I'm not buying another one of their helmets no matter how cheap they are.

I have an SA2005 HJC AR whatever and it’s cheap and comfortable. The pads are easy to swap out if you need to change it from S to M, too.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

crazzy posted:

They were backed off to 7-8/10th's, that's what you do under a full course yellow so you can catch up to the pace/safety car.

In if you are going too slowly, the pace car can't bunch up the field. AER has black flagged cars for going too slowly during a full course yellow.

AER would have red flagged it if there was debris on the track that was a serious risk.

Idk what AER’s driver briefings are like but double yellows like that in WRL were meant to be taken slower than 70% racing speed iirc.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
Yeah, it’s a seriously good tire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
We’ve raced a Mk2 Golf at Road America plenty of times. It gets up to about 122mph before you have to brake for turn 5.