Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
If your brakes start cooking bad, you can always just let off a couple seconds before the braking zones in the straights. You will still have 99% of the fun. Streets isn't too bad on the brakes. Your dryer duct will make a difference.

HPDEs aren't even timed. It's about driving and learning the lines. You don't need a stop watch to help you start with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004

SlapActionJackson posted:

This is pretty much the case in most organizations I've run with. The level 3 group has the widest disparity in abilities and speeds of any group. And this is the level where people are really starting to learn car control and how to bring the car to the edge and keep it there. Trying different things that might or might not work better for them & their car. Learning how to experiment and teach themselves how to go faster. All without the benefit of the second-nature car control seen in the top run group. The most spectacular offs of the weekend usually happen in this group.

That's how I wrecked my first FD. I was in the "intermediate" group. It started raining. There are some slight bumps on the "back" straight at PIR called the porsche bumps. In the dry they are a completely unnoticeable. Two other cars were totaled in my group on that turn that same day. A corvette and a BMW.

This is how I learned how I was doing it wrong. (crap-can) Wheel to wheel is cheaper and more fun.

parid
Mar 18, 2004

c355n4 posted:

How'd that minivan do?

They got the Class C win! Great team.

Also, since were bragging about race finishes, my team got our first win with chumpcar at the ridge a couple weeks ago. My first real race win ever!

(my hosting)

parid
Mar 18, 2004
It's not the worst idea, but it doesn't fit either extreme. The lemons dream is the worst cars ever made, turned into floats, rolling around a track. You get extra bonus points for not caring, having too much fun, being whacky, and driving the craziest thing possible. A mk3 supra isn't weird, or whacky at all. It isn't all that competitive either. You won't be one of the boring fast cars (e30,miata,ect).

I think you would be happier going to one of the extremes either way. Something more whacky or something more competitive (read lighter, adding lightness is the best way to make a fast crap-can).

Or you could just put a really unique crazy motor in it...

parid fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Dec 21, 2012

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I wrecked my first FD at a track day. It hurt (the pocket book) but it wasn't the end of the world. The car was probably worth ~12k at the time, I was able to get ~5k of parts of out it. Still at 7k loss and I continue the vow I made to not track cars I love that much.

That's what ChumpCars are for. So much less drama when that one gets put in the wall. I have a lot more fun driving this pile of junk at 9/10ths and occasionally running out of talent and go 11/10ths than if I were to baby my nice car around at 7/10's all day.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
For me, its all about seat time. Building the car is a means to an end. I can see someone getting their kicks from the engineering and ending up in a completely different place. If I had a lot more money, and someone to do all the work on the car for me, I'd probably be club racing a nice car too :).

On a side note, I'm unreasonably excited for the $200 26" LCD I just got for my trailer. Our live camera system has been out of service for the last 4 races purely due to the lack of a TV. I'm thinking about maybe getting a raspberry pi or something similar to do live timing as well. I wonder if we can figure out some kind of PIP or overlay to keep the video up and use the same screen for position/laptime data.

parid fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Mar 14, 2013

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Wait, does that cage also lack a diagonal on the main hoop? What would that ever be legal for? I don't even think that meets drag specs. Someone could make the point that this car would be safer in stock form.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I have found HPDE inspections to be almost the same (maybe a bit more through) than autox. I have never seen papers other than a drivers license requested. That being said, every club makes their own rules and do pretty much anything they want.

Do you know what org/events you would be interested in?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
These guys ship really quick, not sure if they are door knocking close to you though. http://www.ioportracing.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=NS&Category_Code=UAA

Sears point has a shop at the track, might be a bit of a drive.

I hear firefighters also roll with nomex socks. Its a long shot but might be worth a couple of calls.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Nope, chumpcar doesn't require SFI tags on socks. They just have to be nomex. It's easy to tell the difference. Mine don't, and I do gear check sometimes :).

parid
Mar 18, 2004
My Oakley gloves were total garbage. Wore out after two events. I was told that Oakley sold out the brand to some cheap overseas manufacturing. Will never buy another racing product from them again.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Balaclavas can make a huge difference. It will have a large effect on your helmet fit. When I started racing with one, I had to move up an entire helmet size to last 2 hours. Think of it adding half a size to your head. Some of the cheaper ones have seems in bad places. Check the fit, try to find one that isn't bulky in the wrong places.

Here is one of my drivers with a forehead dent from a cheaper balaclava worn for 2 hours in a snug helmet (but a perfect fit without balaclava):

If you like thicker socks, crow has some nice ones.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Unless they changed this too, they only record sound after turn 5. Turn your exhaust tip to the drivers side and lift there. It sucks but its not impossible to work with.

parid fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Oct 20, 2013

parid
Mar 18, 2004

BlackMK4 posted:

Mobile sound station now.

Ohh poo poo. When do these new rules go into effect? I have a race there in early december.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
You should seriously consider the Auto sports Labs Race Capture Pro. Yes its a young product and you should expect to roll with some growing pains. The team supporting is engaged and accessible. So far everything I have needed has been fixed quickly.

There's constantly new releases with new functionality. No lock in for spendy feature upgrades. No out dated software or hardware. You have some whacky dream? Go for it, your likely to even get help along the way.

I /love/ mine. I would have paid twice what I have invested in it now.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
California is an amazing place to retreat to in the winter for racing. I was at Laguna Seca last weekend, 60s and pure sun. (Woo 6th in the west coast championship)

parid
Mar 18, 2004

nollij posted:

Ugh. Norcal is 10 hours away. Not sure if that is doable even on a 3-day weekend. Wish it was though.

Yeah 13 hour tow for me. It was a 5 day weekend for ~4 hours of wheel time. Worth it for sure but hard for a lot of people to make that commitment. Could be worse.

There was a team there from the Belgium vw owners club. Apparently government regulation makes things like chumpcar impossible. Track time is all FIA regulated and, if I heard right, was something like $5,000/hr. Its literally cheaper for them to fund the building of a car remotely and to fly in to race ( plus the whole bucket list thing if racing at Laguna ).

Its too bad as trading for time at Spa would help me with my list as well.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I'm considering a trip to Le Mans this year. I have no idea what tickets to get. They feel like a bargain compared to F1 last year. Is the front straight worth it? I imagine covered grand stands would be nice when it starts raining. What the best way to spend the night? Camping? I'm flying in so I can't really bring gear.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Any idea what what the pit charging setup will look like? Giant generator on a trailer?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Looks super interesting, keep us posted!

parid
Mar 18, 2004

drgitlin posted:

Honestly I think the reason they haven't mandated an SFI 38.1 device is because they're expensive and grassroots racing is trying to keep the costs down. But count me among those who wouldn't get in a race car without one.

This. The foam is to make the insurance happy. If Hans systems were in the $200 range everyone would be requiring them.

I also wouldn't get in a race car without one. My neck is worth way more than $500.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Avoid cheap pyrotechs. Geforce is decent at the entry level. Used gear can be a great deal if you get lucky and find your size

parid
Mar 18, 2004

nm posted:

I would not on a closed car. I did that and I've regretted ever hot, stuffy, glasses fogging moment of it.

Yes, once you are caged and what not, it is a good idea, but as an entry level track day and autocross helmet, do open face. In a non-caged, airbag on, just using a seatbelt case, the helmet is just really for insurance anyhow. It isn't going to make a huge difference if you crash.

Or just flip the visor up or remove it. That way you don't have to buy another helmet later.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Okay get a vented helmet then. Open face is not the answer. The shitiest fan I could get for mine still makes an amazing difference. Helps a ton with the glasses fogging.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I really like my omp gloves. Well built with a nice sturdy long cuff that easily covers my suit sleeves so I never have to fiddle with them.

parid fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 17, 2014

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I see a lot of these installed on windshields in the northwest. Drivers I talked to didn't mind it at all.

http://www.frostfighter.com/clear-view-defrosters-about.htm

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Just wait til there are a couple of other cars in the corner to dice with. :). It gets even better.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Check out these guys for serious business mounts for pretty much anything. Decent prices too. http://www.rammount.com/Products/CameraMounts/tabid/109/Default.aspx

parid
Mar 18, 2004

Marauder Stig posted:

does anyone use speed bleeders? Those bleed screws with the check valve built into them.

Like these:http://topbrakes.com/c/car-series/1...oG9u2c6JbLw_wcB

What is everyone's experience with these things? People are telling me I can just crack those speed bleeders open, pump the brake a few times, and I'm done. No need for polytubing, no pressure bleeders. Do they really work like that? Anyone ever had a bad experience with speed bleeders?

My other question would be how do I install them...is it just a matter of screwing the stock bleeders out and just screwing the new speed bleeders in?

I had them in my wrx. Used em for 10 years no issues. Worked as advertised. Just unscrewed stock bleeder and put them in.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Ducts are key. Do that no matter what you choose for pads. Have you considered RP2's? We get ~40 hours out of them on our rx7.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Since the chumpcar/lemons thread seems so dead I'll try here. I have a couple of seats open in my chumpcar (Apex of Failure a 87 rx7 gxl) for the October chumpcar race in Portland. Probably going to be in the $650 range for fees. Depending on luck, should be able to get at least two long stints in. Due to likely weather conditions and wall situation at portland drivers with previous experience preferred. We could use some fresh blood. Anyone interested?

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Zip ties? So many zip ties.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I'm looking pretty good for drivers but we always have cancelations and I can never have enough drivers.... Email me at parid(forty two) at gmail.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
WRL released their 2015 schedule. Looks like they're having their first west coast race in June at the ridge. Could be interesting!

parid
Mar 18, 2004
What model tire? What car? What tire size?

Optimal pressures very wildly. Even on the same model of tire. For example, I run my 245/45/17 star specs at ~29 psi hot. I know other people who found 38 psi to be ideal on their car.

Do you know about the wear arrow on the tire side wall? This one: http://venturers.org/Tech_Library/attachments/Tire_Markings.jpg

I normally start my tire pressure tuning bleeding out pressure until I start wearing down to the arrow. Then tuning balance, grip, overheating, etc from there. Most of the time I find that pressure optimal.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Condolences. I worry about all the gadgets I put in our car doing something similar. Its always been in my plans to have vnc running and letting the pits troubleshoot any issues. Keep the driver out of the trouble.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
We run verizon for telemetry and its worked great so far. We race only on he west coast. ORP is the only track we really have to worry about cell coverage.

We have a similar set for radios. 5w for hand helds, and a 35watt in the car and at the pits. Never have an issue ( other than mics falling out of helmets ).

parid
Mar 18, 2004
Whatever I can get my hands on. A couple Motorolas, a Kenwood, and a couple Baofengs. Real radios are worth it but so very expensive.

parid
Mar 18, 2004
I also heard COTA was reconsidering their aloof stance on the prols taking to their sacred tarmac. Good to see some dates getting announced.

Looks like Laguna is getting even more accessible. ChumpCar has a full 3 day weekend next year (yeah 4th of July but still).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parid
Mar 18, 2004
For west coast crap can, check out Lucky Dog Racing. Just started up and already has decent schedule posted for this year. Experienced locals will recognize most of the staff. More sensible rules and customer service than chumpcar but similar goals.

Also mexico Rosarita Beach street circuit on Halloween :). Sounds like a heck of a party.

parid fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 21, 2015