Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'm signed up for the July TrackDaze event at Summit Point. Very excited about it.

Anyone have helmet recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

nm posted:

Screw that, I have a full face at the moment and regret every moment.
Why do you regret it? Reduced vision? I'd rather get a full face helmet that would double for motorcycling as well, but if there's a good reason to get an open face helmet I'd like to know what it is.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

nm posted:

A few companies make SA2010 and DOT approved helmets.
Note that DOT legality makes it legal, not safe.

Yeah there are helmets that meet the requirements for both motorcycling (not racing, just as a commuter) and for the track in a car.

I think I'm gonna get a full face helmet - the thought of a stray pebble hitting me in the eye is too frightening tbh.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I just want to say that driving fast and well and on track is hard as gently caress - not just technically, but physically. I just got back from a long track event at Summit Point Raceway in west va and I was physically exhausted at the end of it. I now know why F1 drivers spend so much time at the gym.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
It was a 2 day event, 4 30-minute sessions per day. What I ended up realizing was by the time I did a lap and got to the start of the straightaway I was tensed up from head to toe and I tried to relax there. And yeah, water owns.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTHXtp8RDjM

From HPDE 1 at Summit Point, WVA yesterday. It's a warmup lap so it's hella slow, however the overlay is so cool I had to share it. Unfortunately I couldn't record a full speed session with the overlay because my iphone died. It's called optrix videopro and it generates the track and the corner/straightaway speeds using gps data collected throughout the run.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Sadi posted:

Harry's laptimer pro, Its probably the best $20 i've spent on any iPhone app. It gives you a lot of data you can export. It can do those overlays. I still havent explored all the options.

Does it let you record for a long time - like an entire 30 minute track session, for example? I have a similar app (optrix videopro) and it can't process long videos.

Nice save on that first video like your instructor said. Other than that you could probably use more of the track but that's a pretty easy thing to fix.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Yeah it'll draw the track out using GPS data but if you load a track from their database you get more consistent sector times and lap times overall are more accurately compared.

I really like that you can export the data and overlay it on a video taken with a separate device. Now if only I was good at driving cars..

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Savington posted:

This is video from my race on Sunday at Buttonwillow with NASA.

Dope video, pretty intense. The near miss at the 6 minute mark made me flinch.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
One of the worst things about track days is just having that constant background thought of "oh poo poo I hope nothing happens this my daily driver."

Is there any way to get around these concerns or is the solution just having a dedicated track car?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'm going to the Trackdaze "Dub Deliverance" event at Summit Point August 17th.

It's 50 bucks for 3-4 track sessions (depending on how many people register for the track). If you have a Volkswagen and are near Summit Point you should come hang out.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What's the benefit of superblue?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
What do you guys think about HPS pads? They seem like a good upgrade to the current OEM pads on my 2007 GTi and I can use them on the street as well as the few track days I do each year. Am I wrong for thinking this? Any recommendations for a single set of pads that are better than OEM but also not strictly for the track?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Dang you guys do not like the HPS pads.

Phone posted:

Don't use HPS. What car are you even using?

I have a 2007 VW GTI.

So what would you recommend for a good set of street pads that wouldn't be terrible for 2-3 weekends a year at the track?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

the poi posted:

I got a friend that smoked HPS on the track as well. However, I've been using HP Plus for the longest time, and have loved them on the street and track day use on RS3s (car is an S2000). They work great pretty much everywhere. That said, a long session of really pushing the car with R888s at Buttonwillow made them start to go away--they didn't stop working, but I was starting to put a noticeable increase in pedal pressure to keep stopping properly. So basically, as long as you don't put R-comps on your car, I'd recommend giving HP Plus a try.

edit:// \/\/ HP Plus!

Do the HP Plus make a ton of noise ? Is the squealing thing just something that sorts itself out after the pads wear in a little?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Track days own. What car were you driving?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Yeah in my experience a lack of point by is either an indicator that the driver in front is new and completely tunnel visioning or they don't know it's a point-by passing session.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
That owns. It's cool to hear that you're using the car instead of keeping it parked and shiny.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I'm sure you know this stuff but:
Remember not to set the handbrake after your session. Once you're stopped in the paddock let the car cool down before shutting the engine off, especially for a turbo. Popping the hood to help radiate the heat helps. 5-10 mins cooling down at stopped idle is what I do after track sessions in my cars.

Also that car looks dope.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Timage posted:

Can the handbrake stick on with the heat?

After 15-20 minutes of track driving the brake pads and rotors are super loving hot. Pulling the handbrake and leaving the car to sit is an easy way to damage or even fuse your brakes.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
First track day of the year is coming up for me (TrackDaze open track at summit point, wv).

What is on your checklist of things to do before heading to the track? I check fluids and pressures and clean all the loose objects out of the car but I was wondering if there is anything I'm missing.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

mobby_6kl posted:

Edit: I logged my run with Torq, are there any tools you guys use to view and analyze the data on the PC?

I use Harry's Laptimer on my iphone to collect the data and overlaid it on my gopro footage when I got home from my most recent track day a few weeks ago.

This video is the result.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF24c4uAsqQ

I'm a lovely driver (I'm intermediate group/blue group/solo group whatever your org. calls it) but I'm happy with the video results because the overlay is pretty cool.

I can go into more details if anyone's curious how to do it.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
How would you guys list "doing track days" on a resume? Has anyone put driving events on their resume with personal info/hobbies? I'm having trouble finding good wording - I want to say that I'm an intermediate level track day driver but without implying that I participate in races, if that makes sense.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Should the white car have given you room or was he justified in taking the racing line?

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Some of the Sheep posted:

He left a car width, what are you talking about?

What I was asking was whether the white car was at fault for squeezing out the driver.

FatCow posted:

Doesn't even need to leave that much, NASA only requires 3/4 a car width. Although I never made it to his front fender so I was entitled to 0 room.

This is the answer to my question. Thanks for this, also really good job with the save.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

honda whisperer posted:

+ A tarp to sit your stuff on / cover it if it rains and a folding chair.

The guys with tarps and chairs in the paddock are like several castes above others.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Doing the new Dominion raceway in central VA tomorrow w/ trackdaze.

Really hope they've made it more forgiving or built out some of the runoff zones, we'll see! First trackday of the year on a weird new track.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
I didn't die at dominion - it was actually a super fun track if you can get past the total lack of runoffs.

Here's a clip from a ridealong I did at the end of the day after it was pouring down rain:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXMIG1LEsso

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Did Dominion Raceway in VA last weekend (Audi/VW Dub Deliverance event). Again, i think Dominion is my fav track even though it has lots of sketchy areas. This is one of my faster laps (yellow group, im prob the slowest of them):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_fuquudLWw

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
that's why i mention it. I heard a lot of bad things before i first did a day there in May.

I've done dozens of events at summit main, shenendoah, VIR, and jefferson (all local virginia tracks, nothing super fancy).

I just like it. It's very satisfying to get the line right. Dominion is my most fun at track track. I think it's an up and comer you'll see everyone will see

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
my mind is dumb and stupid.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Did another trackday this weekend at Dominion Raceway in Virginia. Made a video from my fastest session (which is not fast generally but it was my PB at this circuit). Also my data capture stuff worked and I passed some fast cars which was neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaEVD_kGZjo

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

Larrymer posted:

What are you using for data? Some GPS thing on your phone with a bluetooth OBD2 dongle? What app, hardware, etc? Seems neat.

I have Harry's Laptimer (Grand Prix Edition) on my iphone that collects all the data and exports it later for overlay use.

The sensors I use are a Kiwi3 bluetooth OBD dongle and an external bluetooth GPS (XGPS150). The OBD lets you get info like RPM, gear, boost, p much anything from the ECU. The external GPS gives you better position/speed data, though the iphones internal GPS is fine too.

Those sensors feed into the laptimer app automatically and you can overlay videos using a program like Dashware that parses the laptimer data into gauges and stuff.

Also, with the same data you can use more serious tools like Circuit Tools and get cool charts like this: https://imgur.com/a/dXvnw

Figuring out the setup initially takes some time but at the track I need about 15 mins in the morning and then all I focus on is driving, everything else (data-wise) happens automatically.

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao

KidDynamite posted:

What are the folks without cages or cross bars doing for go pro mounting where you can see yourself and the track? I have one of those headrest mounts but they are not legal for NASA.

Suction cups with tethers or clamp mounts that go directly on the cages/bars

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
Nice saves and heel-toes and occasional giggles

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eriddy
Jan 21, 2005

sixty nine lmao
How does autocross compare to doing trackdays? I've done a few dozen trackdays by now and never tried autocross. Is it hard to learn the course? What kinda skills/ability do really good autocross drivers have?