Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

blk96gt posted:

I use Harry's Lap Timer Pro with a RAM mount I got from Amazon and it has worked great so far. I just purchased the Emprum UltiMate GPS to use with it, but haven't had a chance to try it on the track yet. The internal iPhone GPS will do fine if all you're worried about is timing. Example (2011 Camaro SS at Texas World Speedway): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdb18ZjwQLM

And on the subject of cars going off in front of you, I was proud of myself for not following this Mustang off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LJ9NnWOKAM

That app looks realy cool, is there an android version available or something similar? Mind you alot of trackdays in the uk frown on you timing laps and such as it encourages people to push too hard and the inevitable happens.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I was hoping to do a couple trackdays this year in my current mr2 and hopefully manage to make it to spa/nurburgring.

So I have a brake pad question, my old mr2 had carbotechs all round on the oem brakes and it was great on track apart from the pedal going a bit long at the end. I honestly cant remember what compound they were and I think theyve changed their naming.

It looks like my car is going to need some new pads soon, but the only problem is that this one has aftermarket front calipers. After speaking to the manufacturer (small uk company who make kits for sprints and other club racing series) the pad needed is one for a willwood dynalite caliper #7112 with cotter pin.

Currently it looks like the fronts are ferrodo DS2500s and the rears are some sort of carbotech, which I dont think is an ideal combination.

So after a bit of research the companies that make pads in the correct sizes for both axles are as follows

Carbotech
Porterfield
Hawk
EBC

I'm most inclined to go with the carbotech xp8s as i've had good experience with carbotech already, but I dont realy know much about porterfield and hawk. Ebc i've used in the past but have not been impressed, but apparently their compounds have changed since. The only thing I dont like about carbotechs are the amount of dust they produce.

Streetability is a bit of a concern, but not major as I did about 2000 miles in it last year. Also will be running on fairly crap T1-Rs till I get my other set of wheels sorted in a month or so.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Do you remember which EBC compounds you used? I've tracked yellow and blue in a heavy car without much issue. I know they've gone through a couple formula revisions in the past couple years, but the latest blues were really good to me. I think they are the mystical unicorn dual duty pad.

Don't be afraid to mix and match pads front and rear. I have to because of my limited selection. You might be happier doing that in a car like an MR2 that likes to spin.

I used red which felt worse than oem toyota pads, I didnt feel confident enough to use them on track so I switched to carbotechs instead which were so much better.

Edit: after a bit of research there seems to be allot of conflicting opinions on bluestuff, well enough to put me off buying anything ebc again

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 16, 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Savington posted:

GT3 Cup/RSR cars are what you get when an OEM manufacturer builds a race car. Used ones are fairly inexpensive for the level of reliability and speed you get.

A friend of mine bought a 430 challenge recently for his drift/car control business, very serious but of kit and I was surprised how much it cost.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
What was the name of the trackday apps you guys use? Android or ios

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Got my brakes bled with ate superblue, got a decent alignment and now im ready for my first trackday in a long rear end time! Gonna be at Bedford autodrome next saturday, I cant wait!

Also if that goes well then i'll be off to cadwell park with the mr2 club in april.

track day bro! fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Mar 2, 2014

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ColdPie posted:

I guess they stopped selling Super Blue in the US because DOT brake fluid must be clear or yellow or some nonsense. Good while it lasted.

Dont they make a non blue version for the us though?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Managed to get some good running at bedford, although I spent two hours at the start of the session ripping off undertrays and fixing oil leaks because I hosed up and didnt manage to do the sightning lap. Then went onto the track and missed my braking point for the chicane on the backstraight.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
XP8s should be fine for a 1200kg ish car right? Or they should at least be better than a mix of DS2500s upfront and 4 year old carbotechs on the rear. Still after two trackdays i'm not noticing any fade, even though between the two events one caliper managed to stick which got hastily replaced.

Mind you the pedal went wicked long at the end it still didnt feel like i'd lost any retardation.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

nm posted:

Enough if you're using them on streets. My brother uses them on his Rx-8.

I am currently, would they cope with something like an AD08R or an R1R?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Setanta posted:

First day of having my '99 Integra Type R out on the track - Aussie spec with no mods other than Tein suspension, Cusco brake stopper, Mugen baffled sump and modified airbox (ducted to the bumper). The car has jusst hit 49K kms on the odometer but still chewed a bit of oil up.

Track is Wakefield Park in New South Wales, didn't set the world on fire but I was there for fun - the car sat on 8000+ rpm a lot of the time and the day got better and better so I had a lot of fun. No times but I learnt a lot, especially as the FT86 was cooling his brakes and then proceeded to sit behind and push me to go cleaner than I had at the start of the day

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wpb6YIZn9RM

Just a fun day, next time I'm going to change the brake pads a week before though - I haven't changed these ones in 3 1/2 years of ownership

Do those brake stoppers make much of a difference? I've been tempted to get one for a while.

Got my TD05 fitted and bedded in the XP8s now i'm going to be at Brands Hatch on the 12th for an evening session.

Heres a shot of me at Castle combe last month. I was still on the stock turbo then, it had a failing oil seal which was fun to explain to the marshals why I was smokescreening everyone behind me when queuing to get on track. As soon as the car was under load the smoke cleared up, although it did feel a bit down on power.

We also had a Radical and one of these running on track, both were so much faster than everything else it was ridiculous. Also there was a guy who turned up in a fully prepped m3 on slicks who binned it on the first lap in the morning when it was still damp.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anybody using oil coolers with thermostatic sandwich plates? I recently swapped my standard oil/water cooled turbo for a purely oilcooled one and it seems to take a lot longer to drop oiltemps than before.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

aventari posted:

Yeah all I ever use are thermostatic sandwich adapter plates to add an oil cooler.

What do you mean it takes longer to drop oil temps? Drop them from what? As I'm sure you know the point of them is to let the oil heat up to proper temp quickly and then keep the temp there so you're not hammering on the thing with cold oil.

this is what I've run on a few cars, it open up at 180F
http://www.autotech.com/product/oil-cooling/10-117-304K.html?fromcat=

When I meant dropping temp I meant on the cooldown lap and idle the oil seemed to take a lot longer to get cooler than with the old turbo. It didnt help that the indy circuit is a pretty short lap, so a cooldown lap pretty much does gently caress all.

Also oiltemps were going over 120c after 6 laps, so I was keeping sessions pretty short. Currently not running any oilcooler apart from the standard one on the block.

I'm going to go with a mocal cooler and have someone make some lines up. But they have the option of an inline stat along with the usual one built into the sandwich plate. So I just wondered if the inline ones were better?
http://www.mocal.co.uk/products.html#thermostats

Also crossposting some pics.

Not pictured, me getting murked by a GT-R and everything else not on street rubber. Also the fucker in the sti who spun off at paddock hill bend as soon as I started my last session causing a red flag which meant they just shut the track down and started to go home :argh:

I think im gonna go back soon because I realy want to try the GP circuit, but i've got to find a TDO that runs it. Also the fact that its less than an hour away from me appeals because i'm lazy like that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I dunno what the hell that stupid thing is he posted, looks like some horrible moped helmet or something.

Speaking of helmets, would this one be any good?
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/helmets/omp-grand-prix-7s-helmet

I was either looking at that or a bell sport, but I realy need to find a place to try one on.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Do they not have any marshalls or something?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BraveUlysses posted:

How about a great trackday video of what we all imagine GT-R drivers are like:

http://vimeo.com/109257775

loving hell what a oval office and what a poo poo TDO for letting him continue. I love how he just pootles around the corners and then just does the billy big bollocks down the straights and into the apex. I'm suprised nobody complained about him constantly overtaking under braking into corners like that.

Edit: wait it was in full auto mode?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
If you want to read the internet slapfight about it go here

I dont think i'll be booking with MSV anytime soon, oh well. Much prefer how opentrack or javelin run their days anyway.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
So i've booked up for one final day this year at Brands Hatch indy in early December. Its either going to be wet, cold, or a combination of the two. Will be meeting with a friend whos bringing his stripped out mr2 that hes running in the sprint series, cant wait!

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

On the 5th? I might come along and do it on RSRs and die ftw.

On the 8th with msv.
http://www.msvtrackdays.com/car/calendar/2014/dec/8-bh-gen.aspx

I'm still running horrible T1-Rs at the moment because i've barely driven the car apart from the other trackdays.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Possibly the dumbest or coolest thing I guess.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDfXMDApLNM&t=14s

Nice to see him pass a radical like it wasnt even there, usualy those things are the quickest things on track.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Looking forward to trying out these R888Rs and 595 rsrrs next year lads.
I think my boss is gonna let me lap the ring in his xbow as well. :getin:

Did you manage to do anything this year? I went back to brands hatch last monday, on a supposedly dry day. Somehow the track retains water, but all the surrounding roads were bone dry. :shepface:

Its not fun driving on a damp track with heatcycled summer tyres at about 2°c , it did dry out eventually and got a decent amount of laps in. Ended up going with a friend who is running in the toyota sprint series in an na sw20, he was able to put the power down so much easier than I could. I ended up just running on actuator boost and even then I was spinning up the wheels coming out of clark curve.

The conditions also helped me with figuring out snap oversteer :haw:

Heres a picture, I cant be arsed to buy any this time because the car looks abseloutely filthy.
http://www.msvtphotography.com/v/photos/25087trx/14389510402

Thats my last day till the weather gets nice again and I realy need to sort out what to do for new tyres. In the uk we arent endowed with the same selection of r-comps that the US has.

I'll be going to the autosport international show in January to try on helmets because i'm fed up of using rental ones.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Gigi Galli posted:

What are the regulations for helmets like in the UK? I have this one and it fits my stupid head fine and is actually pretty comfortable, and I'm wearing glasses underneath it. Luckily you can remove most of the stickers.

With trackdays you could get away with any lovely helmet, it usualy just has to be a full face in an open car. Tintops you can get away with an open face. I was just going to go for a full face Snell 2010 one. The autosport show is a massive motorsport trade show in January and is pretty much the best place to try on different helmets to see if they fit.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

I just did a few blyton days ftl. I have a ring trip booked for september but I'm seriously considering DN in july too. I'm currently spending over $9000 to make my car be more better so prob won't do much early this year. Let me know what you go to though

Nice blyton is pretty close to you isnt it? I dunno what i'm doing yet this year but I realy need to go to the ring, is it a trackday in september or just a touristwhatsit? My cars pretty much just been sitting around since december anyway and yeah i've been buying up over 9000 parts also. :newlol:

I'll be doing Brands (because i'm lazy and its 40 minutes away) but I realy fancy Donnington and also Snetterton. Also depends on what days people are doing at the mr2 club.

I was gonna go to the autosport show to look at helmets this weekend but i've pulled my groin (dont ask what his name was thanks) and also have a fever!

Hows the m3 holding up? You got any kewl pics?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
loving yanks, I cant get ate superblue anymore! :argh:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

Welcome to last year or the year before. (I can't remember)

I was still able to get it last year, I guess it doesn't matter cuz I can get type 200 still.

Any other options? Is the motul rbf stuff any good?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Isnt that what this is?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought AD08R's werent considered track tyres? I've been impressed with mine, although tbf I did 5 days last year on normal summer tyres.

Another possibly stupid question, the powdercoated finish on my track wheels is starting to bubble in places. It's not a good idea to re-powdercoat a set of cast wheels?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Did you try googleing it
http://www.racelogic.co.uk/index.php/en/customer-area/manuals-datasheets

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Dont you guys have something like http://www.ards.co.uk/ in the US? If you want to do any wheel to wheel stuff here the test is mandatory.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Speaking of pads currently i've got R4-S on because my xp8s didnt like being used on the street at all and pretty much lost most of their cold bite. I've got a track day coming up at bedford autodrome and i'm wondering if I should just put the xp8 back on because the porterfields might not cope? Car weighs about 1200kg and is on AD08Rs so nothing too extreme.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Human Grand Prix posted:

I did a lapping day at the Mosport DDT track this weekend. Rain is good for teaching you to be smooth. Ended up facing the wrong way twice.

My first day of this year was at a soaked bedford autodrome and I also managed two spins. Although the second was pushing a bit too much on a drying track with the instructor. Saying that there were tonnes of people spinning out in those conditions so it wasnt too bad.

Tomorrow I've got an evening at brands hatch booked and the forecasts are all saying its going to rain. I'm a bit more apprehensive because unlike bedford there isnt a tonne of runoff and its not completely flat.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I thought R888's were replaced by the new R888R

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Crustashio posted:

Anyone ever order from demontweeks (or other UK sites)? Thanks to brexit the CAD->GBP is seriously favourable right now and I need some race gear. I got a quote for $1000CAD for an OMP First Evo, but the same suit is 309 pounds in the UK which works out to $540CAD. Even with shipping it's still a massive price difference.

I'm in the uk and Demontweeks is fine although a bit expensive. Might wanna check out http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/ which is normally cheaper than DT.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I do run ME22's always on my two summer cars, although one is track use only (drive there, and drive back) and the other I only drive 2-3 times a week, and to the track. When I had XP8s they also worked well on the street, but were extremely dusty and noisy. Both of my cars are under 2800lbs though...

I'd like to try the endless pads but annoyingly my front calipers only take pads made for wilwood dynalite, which limits the choice of pad I can use. I've still got my xp8s on at the moment out of lazyness, but I've driven the car about 4 times since the last trackday. Maybe i'll switch pads after the next one so I dont have to clean the wheels every time I drive the drat car.

I'll be doing another trackday at bedford on the 15th, hopefully this time there wont be a torrential downpour with sleet.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Phone posted:

SW20 MR2: Unsafe At Any Speed

They aren't that bad! I've only ever spun mine when it was wet or like -2° on track and I turned in way too hard on cold tyres.

Shame that white one is pretty much hosed, I guess they could reshell it though.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
You guys should never try a trackday over here. No tech inspections, no grouping unless the day is specified a beginners day, race teams treating the drat thing like a test session etc. The second day I ever did I had to deal with a bunch of Radicals appearing at warp speed constantly and the last one an entire grid of Caterham Academy cars turn up because the season finale was taking place there the week after :v:

We do manage to do overtake by consent (well most TDO's do) so thats one thing!

Way way back you could get away with stuff like this though so lol.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZgc0b2IVfY

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Absolutely without a doubt 100% one of the sketchiest moments of my life. Entered the top of the fox hole relatively quickly. Spotted a written off cayman in the gravel far too late. Hit the fluid and grass/mud and completely lost the backend. Held it on the lock stops and managed to miss the barrier after jumping the kerb and driving over the wheel the cayman lost. Got out of the way enough to stop and jump the barrier. 2 guys left in ambulances and 4 out of 5 of the cars left on flatbeds. Assuming I’ll find some damage when I get it on a ramp but feeling crazy thankful at the moment. Just insane. Genuinely can’t believe it. The 2 cars behind me ended up in the barriers and must have missed me by a couple of inches. gently caress.

Watch the slo mo carefully. The second cayman literally flips over the top of the first.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=luvAklORVe4&feature=youtu.be

E:

Some aftermath too: https://youtu.be/ZGQgd6I9Az0

loving hell, this is why I'm incredibly hesitant to even try a touristenfahrten session. I don't think my wallet could cope if something went wrong, maybe in a rental with insurance.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Heading out to the ring for a full opl track day on Saturday.
Don’t suppose any of you lot are out? I realise most are American.

Getting some tips from big Nige:

https://youtu.be/h_hLD6WR0q0

And letting him and VLN maniac Moran have a go in the LSM3. Should give some good places to start to improve the car as well as my own driving. Can’t wait.

Never heard of OPL? Got a link are they a uk tdo?

You gonna do any days over here? I'll def be up for some as soon as my engines run in. I might start out easy with bedford again because it's been more than a year since I've been out on track now, but you've gotta give donnington a go.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Bape Culture posted:

Opl is just open pitlane m9. It’s a circuit days day.

Yeah man I’ll come along if you book anything. Ideally want some Friday days so I don’t lose too many hours at work. Either track is fine with me!

It's circuit days and DN who mainly do trackdays at the ring right? Just wondering do you have a euro breakdown policy, as thats my main worry about driving on the continent.

But yeah i'll let you know as I want to do as many days as I can this year. Also now I've got a second set of wheels I can go for some R888R's or something similar that I can get in staggered 16's sizes.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Anyone here used Project MU RC09's? I checked my pads while doing some other stuff on the car and my carbotechs are pretty much done.

I've got a bit of annoying situation because my front caliper takes a wilwood dynalite 7112 pad and 94 mr2 rear, so my choices are a bit limited. I was also thinking about porterfield R4's

I may just go with the carbotech again because the local supplier is pretty good, but it would be nice to have a pad that didn't dust up as badly as the carbotechs do.

This is running on Toyo R888R's

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, doesn't look like there are any suppliers in Europe, let alone the uk, which compound are you using?