Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They let you run without a rollbar? :supaburn:

I've been satisfied with my Hard Dog Hardcore Hardtop Single Diagonal. Also, proof in the 95mph sideways pudding:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMmjaaSQP08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

j3rkstore posted:

Strangely enough some clubs will let convertibles run as long as they pass the broom test, i.e. if a stick from the top of your windshield to the top of your factory roll protection doesn't touch your helmet. Personally I think its a terrible idea but I'm not the liable one.

Sadi did a track day with this level of factory protection.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

SNiPER_Magnum posted:

Don't rule out E36s as well. They can be had for cheap and can go nasty fast. The worst part of an E36 is the interior falls to pieces quickly, but who cares about that for a track rat?

Or the money shifting or LCA problems.

The E36 is a fantastic performing car, but it's problem areas are scary as all hell.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

c355n4 posted:

If you run HPDEs or TTs, what, if anything, keeps you from wanting to run sprint or enduro races?

poo poo. Is. Expensive.

quote:

What do you consider a good day? Personally, I like a day with no incidents for anyone on the track. Do you tend to always run with the same organization? Or do you just go by track? I know a few people who will only race at NJMP. What do you look for in a good organization?

It is always interesting to see what people like to get out of racing their car around the track.

Good day = no terrible offs/nobody gets hurt.

Personally, seat time is fantastic and an instructor can make it or break it. I had a track day the week after a 14 hour Chump Car race on the same track/config, and the instructor added zero to the HPDE weekend. I wound up making my own fun because I was in a brand new front wheel drive car, but the dude literally added nothing to the weekend and wasn't capable of teaching me new lines through the track.

I've only run with one organization, but I have no qualms about running with several other organizations in the area due to the crossover in membership for many people in the local car club. I know that Chin Motorsports like to play fast and loose, so I'm going to hold off on doing a day with them until I'm comfortable in Red group.

Joke answer: I look for orgs with the most expensive/fastest cars so I can pass them in a Miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Dr JonboyG posted:

Thought about Chumpcar? More than one driver means shared costs.

My first/only Chump Car ride was about $13-1400/weekend. The safety stuff has another 3-5 years (depends on cert), and the cost of entry and consumables was about 550/person for our small team.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have autocross street tires, you'll be OK.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
For online helmet ordering, a string and the manufacturer's website is king. Measure your head in whatever dimensions the manufacturer lists on their sizing chart and choose the appropriate size for your noggin'.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It isn't available on Amazon, but I've never had an issue with my bike pump: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftb/pumps/floorpumps/airtoolsportfloorpump .

VV - I haven't had any issues with Presta or Schrader valves with this pump. It gets a bit tiresome ( :haw: ) when you're pumping up 10-15 psi, but I find the 12V compressors to be obnoxious to use.

Phone fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 22, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
:supaburn: Speed holes in the hood :supaburn:

Depends on what car and the low/high pressure zones. Just sawzalling into a hood randomly will most likely increase underhood temps.

I thought you worked on time attack cars?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
According to some of the Miata turbo guys, the R-S3s give the Nitto NT-01 a run for their money.

I'm in the start/middle (what started it was snapping 2 timing belts) of making the Miata a dedicated, street legal track car. I need to be able to get to work in the morning.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

IOwnCalculus posted:

I figured you'd sold that car when you got the 2. Glad to see I was wrong.

Also, I wonder just how bad of an idea tracking a Mazda2 would be. Can't imagine the consumables would cost any more than they do for a Miata.

Bought some DTC-60s and did a 2-day; it was kind of boring because I drove in a 14 hour Chump the weekend before on the same course. Braking in a super front heavy FWD car is :dogstare: inducing. I had the option of going into the 3rd level run group, but I figured the speed differential would been too great; only could brush 100mph without the instructor in the car.

Got my Simple Green Extreme in today. Got an engine last week:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Know the track. Well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

c355n4 posted:

Hah, this should be interesting. The track will be lit so it won't be that dark. Good tip about the mirrors. Luckily I have tons of auxiliary lightning. Some Hella FF1000 driving beams, PIAA 60XT fogs, and the stock lights. So I should be aiming the FF1000s for the corners and not straight ahead.

gently caress you.
(...not jealous)

Having the track lit is huge. VIR doesn't have much (read: any) lighting outside of the pits. It made the last corner somewhat interesting (super banked, plenty of passing opportunity for the brave).

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What about Crusher/Supermiata car?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you have a cloverleaf style interchange near you, you can get a lot of practice doing your 3->2 heel-toe downshift (plus some extra wear on your driver's side tires). It's pretty good because when shifting 3->2 on the freeway on-ramp, it isn't some 20mph turning into the supermarket antics, you'll be up in the RPMs a bit.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you're getting seats, you should be getting harnesses as well. Safety is one of those areas that shouldn't have compromise.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Depends on if there's a leap year.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

aventari posted:

Good to know about the RS3's, I just ordered a set of 225/45-15's this morning for the e30

edit: This is what happens to 6UL wheels on the front of Hondas on the track apparently. Guy said it was not curbed or anything like that. Showed me another of his wheels that had stress cracks on half the spokes

Gen #?

I know that wheels are considered wear items, exponentially more if track time is involved.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
T14 @ CMP sucks for everybody... except autocrossers! Caught up to so many people in that corner.

Your "good" lap (versus "oh god the armco!!") looked like a pretty decent lap.

Like Sniper said, you should make the side straight a straight versus going all the way to track left; in that video, you technically could have kept it in 3rd because the top of 3rd is 85mph and you were trapping at 86. If you get a decent line out of the carousel, you should easily gain 5mph for the NASCAR turn.

For the kink, good job using caution. That said, in a bone stock Miata you should be able to take it going about 100mph. Unfortunately the kink doesn't get easier with time, you just poo poo your pants less.

Phone fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Sep 26, 2012

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Its also extremely important to isolate changes and do one thing at a time; however, being at a track and doing a trackside alignment job might be out of the picture.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Are you allowed to run knobby tires in NASA?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm technically still paying for not getting the waterpump done when I first bought my 1994 Miata. poo poo engine Fatcow gave to me (to be fair, it was another goon's car before Fatcow got it). :saddowns:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sadi posted:

So looking to do suspension on the miata next year.
Im looking at Koni Race with GC coil overs and 700/450 springs.
In the same price range are PSS9s and FM V-Maxx XXtreme coilovers. Also FCMs are about 30% more. Goals are set up aiming towards track driving.
What are opensions, is it worth waiting and saving for the FCMs? Or should I consider the VMaxes or PSS9s over the Koni Race set up? I tried looking on m.net but its m.net.

Save for Xida CS. Just save your money.

Buy something used from miataturbo if need be.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FatCow posted:

Wait, that's a bad thing? ....poo poo

The 6 Million Dollar Corvette Miata.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You can run them at autocross and race on real race tracks. There are a few people locally that run an F125 cart at autocross, and just hearing stuff second-hand...

- Tires are super cheap
- Engine rebuild every 10 hours
- Bodywork may require more than a few zipties
- You'll need somebody to push start you if you spin out and stall

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
As far as I know, an engine rebuild on those karts are replace the piston ring, replace seals, maybe the main bearing, and check valves. Since it's a single cylinder, everything is dead simple.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If you want cheap, fast, and legal: 2nd Gen Integra. Shitload of parts, light on fuel and decently quick.

Or do the obnoxious thing and claim that an SW20 MR2 with a Camry V6 making 270hp is a $500 car.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Got my RACE wheels and tires mounted... now to finish the rest of the car and to tell my roommate & gf that "no, the tires need to stay inside":

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God drat that looks new.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

laymil posted:

Me too. We're doing the work at a friend's shop - Entropy Racing. Looks like we'll be testing the car at VIR in March!

With who? :ninja:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Chin motorsports are a bunch of you know who's and my leather interior better not be damaged by some fat rear end instructor and I want my membership fee back

But for reals, I'm going to be down the road (literally 15 miles) at an autocross.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Then you pass an M3 or Corvette and think about doing more... with less.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Buy a used race car; save a bunch of money.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Nice backwards mounted Star Specs.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
It's all good, unless if it's raining.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I would say brakes, but every single compound will destroy your fancy new wheels.

Hawk DTC-60s and ATE Superblue/TYP200.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The property aspect of the insurance law change is a minor point, the bigger point is losing your liability. God forbid something goes awry and you wind up hitting another HPDE driver or a corner worker. Not having a liability or umbrella policy claim there would blow.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
http://www.schrothracing.com/sdocs/2009_Competition_Instructions.pdf

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
That's why he said many. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Pit stops are hard to execute if you don't have a plan. In Chump you can fuel and do a driver swap at the same time, but you can't work on the car.

So a pit stop with gas would look like this:
0. Car radios that they're coming in
1. Car stops and turns off
2a. Driver gets out of the car
2b. Fueler and next driver hop over the pit wall; next driver has the fire extinguisher
3. When driver is out of the car, he takes the extinguisher from the next driver; next driver starts to get into the car
4. When fueling is done: any maintenance checks can be done by additional hands, previous driver helps next driver with belts and whatnot, and a radio check
5. Go back out there