Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006
yes that's very hot and i'll deal with it in the morning

What would be a realistic towing capacity target that would support safely towing an E92 M3 (1600kg) on an open aluminium trailer (700 - 1000kg)? I'm looking at a midsize SUV (F15 X5, 2nd gen Cayenne, etc) to serve as a track tow vehicle as well as being a general commute/errand/utility vehicle, and the listed maximum tow capacities range from 2700kg - 3500kg. Is this range realistic or do I need to be looking larger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

honda whisperer posted:

When I've done that math (haven't picked or bought anything) adding fuel, tools, spares etc bumped the weight up a decent amount. Something to keep in mind is all.

It's a good point - I don't really have a good feel for what a typical day's worth of fuel/tools/spares would weigh, perhaps 300kg?

The current plan is to use it for Nürburgring (touristfahrten) trips to begin with, so less need for a full set of spare wheels/parts/etc for a whole weekend - it's more to avoid needing to drive the M3 all the way there and back and to avoid being stranded in the case of a failure or accident on track.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

Does anyone have experience with the OMP ARS-R fixed-back seat (or any other similar OMP seat), particularly in a car that does dual street/track duty? It would be for an E92 M3, and I'd only be changing the driver's side so that the passenger airbag system and folding seat access are retained.

I'd also be interested in hearing about experiences with alternatives to OMP - I've only cross-shopped Recaro so far but the price difference is significant.

Bjork Bjowlob
Feb 23, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Check out MurrayMotorsport in Ireland for seats. Pretty much impossible to beat the prices even with shipping.

Thanks for the tip, just checked out the site and indeed those are some great prices, plus I'm in the EU already so shipping shouldn't be too bad.

King of all Machines Operate posted:

We run an HTE-R in our Lemons car and like it a lot. It looks like the ARS-R is a little more narrow which I would actually like better as the HTE-R is a little wider than I prefer (5’7’’, 140lbs, ~30 waist)

My favorite seat is the Recaro Profi SPG that I used to run in my Miata but it’s definitely on the snug side. Would probably have to get an XL or Pole Position if you’re much bigger. Super super comfy and great support once you’re in, but kind of a pain to daily especially with harnesses. Currently on sim duty since it doesn’t fit easily in my Exige but I would run that seat in every track car if I could.

Good to know re: HTE-R vs ARS-R - I'm also 5'7" but with a 34" waist, perhaps the ARS-R would be a bit snug.