Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

From way back, but --
I find that if I notice more than one car creeping up behind me, I'll get distracted trying to drive and find the off-line and get my hand ready to do the point by, which leads to worse driving, which leads to both hands on the wheel for a bit. I think once I let this go on for 2 laps before I could settle down and let people by.

If you're getting passed, stay on line and stay on the outside in corners. I ended up 3-wide at my last track day because some guy went off line and held the inside of the corner while a car was passing us both. Not comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

deep impact on vhs posted:

impressive stuff, well done!

e: does anyone have a car they use as both a track day car and a daily driver? if so, how do you handle insurance? do you just not tell your insurance company it's gonna be a track car?

v. important as i'd like to start getting into racing but can only afford one car right now

I looked into track day insurance back when I started. The one company I found had requirements for how the day is run (reasonable), so they had to approve days and organizations, and the organizations I run with weren't on their list. I would love to know what companies people here use for track day insurance.

In my opinion, if you can't afford to suddenly not have that car anymore, with no insurance reimbursement, you should not track that car.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

I use Lockton, they're got reasonable rates (IMHO) and cover the major event-holders.

This was the company I found. Looks like they do cover the HPDE events I attend, now. Cool!

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I also use a Bell Sport with glasses with no complaints. I don't do karting, though.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Dude definitely should've let you by, and maybe it was the video perspective, but it looks like you were never getting real close to him. Backing off and leaving a huge gap sends mixed signals to the lead car that you're not committing to the pass. Notice the silver car who whizzes past you and up onto his rear end for a few turns gets a point-by in less than a lap. After a few track days, you learn that any car that appears in your rear view mirror that wasn't there before is a car that's faster than you, but I can't get too angry at a newbie who hasn't realized that yet. Get up on his rear end and stay there, he'll get the hint.

Crustashio posted:

My favourite is being on the rear end of a power car through turns to get a point by (only on straights at my track), having them floor it on the straight and dust me, then being on their rear end again by the apex of the first turn after the straight.

Unless it was this kind of situation, in which case nevermind. The Worst.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Sigma X posted:

FYI it's a really bad idea to ride the rear end of someone in DE1. Also bad track manners. It's a track day, not a race; and I generally leave sufficient space for the idiot in front of me to jam on the brakes mid-corner, spin out, or randomly lose control otherwise without me losing it.

I mean, don't bump draft them or ride through hard brake zones or tricky corners, but clearly let them know you're faster than them.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Anyone doing the WRL race at Brainerd on May 21-22? I'm probably going to be going to a track day on the 20th and was thinking of spending the night to attend (or volunteer for?) the race on the 21st.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

track day bro! posted:

Speaking of pads currently i've got R4-S on because my xp8s didnt like being used on the street at all and pretty much lost most of their cold bite. I've got a track day coming up at bedford autodrome and i'm wondering if I should just put the xp8 back on because the porterfields might not cope? Car weighs about 1200kg and is on AD08Rs so nothing too extreme.

In my opinion, yes. I've got separate pads (XP10) and rotors for street and track use. After a few track days, it takes less than an hour to swap all four corners. The last thing you want failing on you on the track is your brakes.

Speaking of which, I need steel brake lines for the Z4. I think I can DIY them, especially since the car isn't rusty. StopTech seems to manufacture loads of them, and Turner has them sized for a Z4. Any thoughts on manufacturers or installation?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Guess I'm double-checking my spokes next month :stare:

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

We'll be there with the E30 vert/pickup, that's our first race of the season. You're more than welcome to hang out with us and we can always use another pit bitch.

I'm doing the Slowpokes event on Friday, and I bought a hotel for Fri/Sat nights, so I'll be there all weekend. We'll be in touch.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Just got confirmation we're running the slowpokes event Friday as well :hfive: Time to see if the ugly pig can hang with your Z4

Awesome. I won't be hard to find, so just come say hi.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

First race of the season went pretty well, 4th place both days. Saturday we missed third by less than half a lap but we did it to ourselves by not trusting our new fuel gauge/light and taking extra pit stops. Low turn out was a bummer with around 24 cars starting Saturday, we're hoping for more at the rest of the races this year. Saturday I was first driver and got to do two starts thanks to technical difficulties with timing at the track. Managed to get good starts both times and jump up to 4th right away. Sunday did a three hour stint and took us from 10th to 4th and had some really fun battles with a few cars.

ColdPie stuck around after his track day Friday and helped us in the pits all day Saturday, was really nice having an extra hand. I stupidly didn't get him in our car Friday to let him run a few laps.

That would've been fun! I've only ever driven my own car around. Maybe next year if another track day lines up like that. I took some cell phone pictures of the track day on Friday & the race on Saturday: http://imgur.com/a/541l9

nm posted:

Wear wicking clothes and drink a gently caress ton of water.

No kidding. I went through about 3/4 gallon each day with temps in the mid-70s, and I was definitely still dehydrated.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

ilkhan posted:

So I definitely wasn't going 10/10ths, and the stock tires are crap, and my hand work is less than ideal, and...
but babies first track day was a success.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eN6mC9xRy4U

Hands at 3 and 9, always, no exceptions. Otherwise I hope you had a good time! Does your group offer instructors? I found that really, really helpful for my first few sessions, and I still do a few instructed days per year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

M-Edition. Currently running EBC Greenstuffs but I think I'd like to go to something more track specific. Carbotech XP8s all around perhaps?

Except for sounding like a school bus, XP-8s felt the same as stock pads on my Z4. I noticed a significant improvements with the XP-10s, though. Haven't tried any other pad yet.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

NitroSpazzz posted:

Anyone racing with Chump at Road America next weekend? We'll be there with the ugly E30 vert. Also anyone in that region looking to buy a car ours will be going up for sale after COTA in early December. It isn't pretty but it's well built and very competitive for WRL, Chump, Lemons, etc.

You're selling the red pickup E30? Ugh, don't tempt me. Though my friend's looking for a track car...

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

King of all Machines Operate posted:

Hankook RS-3s are popular and great

I don't have the experience to usefully review them, but for what it's worth, this is what I decided on after doing research earlier this year.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

net work error posted:

I got Pilot Super Sports at a good price at Costco so those are on currently. I don't drive much so they have 0 wear on them still. I also have gloves because I too am a sweaty person.
I'll take a look at Ferodos for pads.

Assuming I don't want to be a squeaky braker at all times would the right thing be to swap off/on the street pads before and after the event with the better race ones?

I use Carbotech XP-10s. I tried the XP-8s first, and they felt no different from street pads. The XP-10s were a noticeable step up. They both make the car sound like a bus, which I hate. I also have a track-only set of cheapo rotors from rockauto. I've warped rotors more than once, so I'd hate to buy expensive ones. I swap the pads and rotors before track day and swap back after I get home. It's a pain, but after a few swaps, it takes less than two hours to do all four corners, including getting the car up on jacks and cleaned up after.

I have been changing my brake fluid every spring, but I only did one or two track days last year, so I'll probably skip the change this year. I use ATE TYP 200, my car needs about a half-liter per change. For your very first track day, you'll be fine on your stock fluid. You won't be going full tilt on your first day anyway.

I haven't yet done steel brake lines, but it's on my todo list.

What track(s) are you going to be driving?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

What do you guys do with rotors that are done? Just throw them in the trash? I have a set of C6 Z06 fronts that were turned and are ok, but I don't think it makes much sense to try to ship something so heavy.

There's a metal recycling/buying place across town from me. I've been meaning to stop by and ask if they buy (or just take) rusty ol' rotors.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

When I head to the track I bring a duffel with engine oil, torque wrench, tire pressure gauge, spare key, snacks, water bottle (I've gone through 2 gal in one day before), sun screen, hat... Maybe other stuff I'm forgetting.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I also bring a hospital gurney to wheel DJ Commie's effervescing corpse around the paddock.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Why yes, local radio DJ, it is pronounced "moto ecks."

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

First track day of the year coming up for me, Slowpokes at Brainerd International on July 3rd. I'm gonna be honest with you guys, I'm getting kinda tired of Brainerd. It's a fine track, but it's the only one I've ever driven. I'd like to get out to Road America or something, but my only friend who would be interested in making that trip has decided spend money on his house instead of getting a track car. I think I need to find some people around the Twin Cities to plan track days with, otherwise I might sell the Z4 and get something else for tooling around town.

We'll see how the 3rd goes, maybe it'll reignite my interest.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

net work error posted:

I was looking at something to keep me snug for autocross and occasional track use and came across the CG Lock. Since it's a daily driver I can't really install a harness and rollcage and this seems like a good option. Anyone use the CG Lock before or have opinions on them?

I have a pair in my car and I like it a lot. I just leave them on all the time. I haven't noticed them doing any damage. Cinch it real tight when you're headed on track.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I'm selling a lightly used pair of CG-Locks over in SA Mart: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3833961

Also thinking of selling my helmet, but I dunno how gross that is so maybe not.