Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
What's the issue with the garrison mechanic?

Thematically, it makes sense for a city to have some amount of native forces that would defend it but not be part of regular troop mobilizations. It's certainly something seen in history.

From a gameplay perspective, it relieves the player of some busywork in manually producing (and, heavens, perhaps even moving) a handful of units per city to manage public order and protect them against raiding stacks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Voyager I posted:

Thematically, it makes sense for a city to have some amount of native forces that would defend it but not be part of regular troop mobilizations. It's certainly something seen in history.

From a gameplay perspective, it relieves the player of some busywork in manually producing (and, heavens, perhaps even moving) a handful of units per city to manage public order and protect them against raiding stacks.
The downside is that every garrison fight is either effectively the same or you just build a stack powerful enough to autoresolve them all.

But overall yeah it's way better than not having any. Total War is nowhere near simulationist enough for me to want to play with that level of detail (and as previously said the AI can't deal with it either). But with a more detailed, simulationist approach I would absolutely not want a set garrison either.

It could also be cool if the garrisons actually reflected more "militia" units with maybe a core of elite units but not all the militaries even have that kind of distinction.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like there being throwaway trash mob garrisons because it makes sense that there would be militias and armed citizens of the actual troops are away.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Being able to save a bit of money on garrisons was a good way to get an economic edge in past versions of Total War, but I don’t mind that buildings now provide something of a garrison. Much like modifying tax rates, it’s a feature that mainly got cheesed.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think being able to occupy and loot Vienna with nothing but 4 horse-drawn cannons doesn’t make much sense but having a city be protected by a garrison of about 700 militia makes more sense, it’s not like defeating a garrison is very difficult but the sheer numbers of bullshit units give defenders a big advantage which is good.

I mean, I like being able to invest money and building slots into having a relatively robust garrison, knowing I’m choosing security over economic/military development

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Voyager I posted:

They’re hardcoded by CA and frequently have dumb poo poo units that make no sense for defending a city. No, having a direct-fire cannon and 3 cavalry units does not, in fact, help me hold the walls. There are *always* too many high quality units and almost never any actual militia style units that would be perfect for manning the walls to flag the defensive towers so they actively shoot and so there is a unit that will fight on the walls a bit.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Yeah in the most recent titles garrisons have been caught up in the general weakening of defensive sieges. We’re seeing a real return to the days where fielding an army is a much better way to defend a city than building defensive buildings.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They’re hardcoded by CA and frequently have dumb poo poo units that make no sense for defending a city. No, having a direct-fire cannon and 3 cavalry units does not, in fact, help me hold the walls. There are *always* too many high quality units and almost never any actual militia style units that would be perfect for manning the walls to flag the defensive towers so they actively shoot and so there is a unit that will fight on the walls a bit.

Until they make fighting on the walls a good idea, these are all great units to have actually

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

feller posted:

Until they make fighting on the walls a good idea, these are all great units to have actually
That is part of my gripe too but didn’t want to rant (more) :colbert:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I kinda enjoy the weird / suboptimal units you get handed for garrison battles because it forces you to play outside your comfort zone and get creative looking for ways to pull off a difficult victory or maximize the damage you inflict on the attacking army so they will be easier for your response force to destroy.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I like the garrison by magic. It works and if your only solution to not needing it is for CA to make the AI much better well I prefer the more realistic option

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I don’t recall ever really enjoying a siege battle in a total war game. Tbh I think making them fun would be essentially a whole third game mode like naval battles were.

Good riddance to shuffling around mini-stacks. And especially good riddance to the AI doing it. The one thing they are godlike at is moving around infinity moving parts with all the efficiency of an idiot savant. The one thing I miss is far-flung armies ending up with all kinds of mercs and locals in modded up Rome, because you didn’t have time to move back to replenish with more core troops.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Dec 31, 2023

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I miss the Med II style garrisons and flexibility of general-less armies but the AI couldn't handle it. I'm fine with losing them if it helps the computer not brick your PC trying to move ten thousand individual line infantry companies back and forth across Constantinople

I would love to see the way sallies worked come back though. Being able to slip some cavalry or archer companies out to target the enemy artillery or a dangerous unit before retreating back aafely inside your castle to delay the siege for another turn was great

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Bring back the risk map.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ah yes, removing a good mechanic to replace it with a bad one instead of just programming the AI to be not completely cowardly. CA in one sentence, lol

If someone found a way to mod in modern unit replenishment for the original Medieval / Viking Invasion I am pretty sure I would still be playing the game to this day.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

pesty13480 posted:

If someone found a way to mod in modern unit replenishment for the original Medieval / Viking Invasion I am pretty sure I would still be playing the game to this day.
Same.

Ravenfood posted:

Bring back the risk map.
Amen brother.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee
I vaguely recall enjoying siege battles in Shogun 2. Despite the multiple walls it felt a lot more open in a way, iirc there weren’t a lot of structures behind the wall. And I couldn’t remember any of the siege or artillery units like mangonels without working at it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The only other real arty was what, euro cannons? AI typically wouldn't field those either.

My only issue with the shogun 2 wall experience is that if the AI has literally any arty you don't touch the walls because otherwise you lose an entire unit when it dies.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

I enjoy it in 3k but I think that's because I love sending first wave units up the walls and the havoc that follows while I raze the city with flaming arrows.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

LordSloth posted:

I vaguely recall enjoying siege battles in Shogun 2. Despite the multiple walls it felt a lot more open in a way, iirc there weren’t a lot of structures behind the wall. And I couldn’t remember any of the siege or artillery units like mangonels without working at it.

Yeah, the typical Shogun siege was 'soft' walls (meaning they served as a meaningful obstacle but didn't require specialized equipment) surrounding a largely open courtyard. You didn't have to wait two turns to build a ram before feeding both armies into a mosh pit at the single resulting chokepoint.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Main problem with shogun sieges was that FotS they still didn’t have places to put artillery on the walls so it was useless a lot of the time. Unless you used wooden cannons I guess but wooden cannons are garbage.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Are Wooden Cannons at least better than those Sengoku-era cannons? I've never tested it out.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Are Wooden Cannons at least better than those Sengoku-era cannons? I've never tested it out.

Wooden Cannons lose the 1v1. Levy Infantry also lose to Matchlock Ashigaru lol.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

RoyalScion posted:

Main problem with shogun sieges was that FotS they still didn’t have places to put artillery on the walls so it was useless a lot of the time. Unless you used wooden cannons I guess but wooden cannons are garbage.

If you put artillery in the open area near the keep, they generally are able to target advancing forces fairly easily until they get close. Certainly you can pick off generals or duel other artillery. The forts can also be upgraded to use artillery, which is devastating against infantry but also incredibly late game. I think I’ve only been able to make use of it once, and I did it very intentionally just because I could.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don't think I've managed to use the upgraded defensive buildings even once, since they're so lategame that if you can afford them you can kit out all your armies in armstrong guns and kill everything

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I'm trying out Divide Et Impera for Rome 2

Thus ended Pyrrhus of Epirus, his elephants and hoplites, and his ambitions for Magna Graecia

They couldn't resist the impulse of taking their army onto transport ships and attacking my lone warship off the coast

One ram to each unit was all it took. They had 8 or 10 ships and I sunk them all :black101: :hist101:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Tangentially related to garrisons, but 3K had a "surrender" function that I quite liked -- if you didn't want to bother with defending a city you could surrender it peacefully instead of autoresolve without damaging any buildings, and any field army stationed there would be disbanded without risking any officers or units.

Wish the AI was more amenible to using it though, I feel like it was 1/100 shot at best

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think Napoleon has that as well.

You can even offer a city the option to surrender and if their vastly outnumbered or outgunned they'll usually take it

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Napoleon did do that and it was pretty important for public order reasons, because it had an annoying feature where if the public order dipped from 0 to -1, it would spawn a full army right outside the city. If you peacefully occupy a city you were probably going to be fine, though Vienna was impossible to hold-- it was SO xenophobic, I had like a 20 public order malus by being a foreign occupier.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
DEI is quite fun.

I have a question about defensive town battles. I just fought one against the Legurians after taking Genua. No walls. Should I bother with traps and spikes etc? They seemed to cause me as much harm as they did the enemy, because it was hard to properly flank their mass of sword and spear units. I handled their initial cav charge well enough, the spikes and traps took out some of them, Triarii and pila routed them quickly.

Overall I lost 730 men and killed or captured 2300 (Normal difficulty). Good, but not great? My Equites and especially Hastati took a lot of damage as the melee blob fights dragged on.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Fort defense battles are the new bridge battles :pwn:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Bridge battles ruled. They made you feel like a tactical genius for figuring out the strat of creating a killing zone for the enemy to run into

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

Bridge battles ruled. They made you feel like a tactical genius for figuring out the strat of creating a killing zone for the enemy to run into
It drives me nuts that aquatic units can't cross deep water in WH3 just because it's such a niche ability normally but it would feel so awesome to be, say, Vampire Coast and just say "gently caress your nice killbox we are just walking around". (On the other hand the Coast is probably one of the better at setting up said killbox...but still).

Imo, the whole point of the fantasy elements should be to give you ways to bypass normal rules or conventions. Flying units already do this when it comes to walls, but at the same time that feels less impactful when everyone can just climb them. Giants as mobile wall-destroyers are pretty cool though.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jan 7, 2024

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
I thought I'd be clever and bring nearly 2 full stacks onto Sicily in one go after Carthage declared war on me (despite great relations and treaties :mad: ), and putting the furthest invader into a fort. Welp, the Carthaginians brought two full stacks and a garrison, rode past the fort and attacked the general who wasn't in a fort, and it turned into a regular battle. With unfortunate terrain. Had to fight uphill with the reinforcements. It was pretty epic though. I lost 1700 men and killed or captured 4500. Have fun being worked to death in the salt mines, you treacherous elephant-riding scumbags. :black101:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

PirateBob posted:

Fort defense battles are the new bridge battles :pwn:

I love DEI but iirc it has the launch-version 3K type of forts that are like, Omaha Beach MG-42BCE arrow towers? Those things seem broken, but they rule.

jokes posted:

Napoleon did do that and it was pretty important for public order reasons, because it had an annoying feature where if the public order dipped from 0 to -1, it would spawn a full army right outside the city. If you peacefully occupy a city you were probably going to be fine, though Vienna was impossible to hold-- it was SO xenophobic, I had like a 20 public order malus by being a foreign occupier.

gently caress with the roman empire, find out

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

A fun DeI campaign is to start as epirus and try to strangle Rome in its crib
Levy pikemen and syrian elephants do a lot of work

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I found that DEI gave me worse load times than Warhammer 3, on my not quite as spry as it used to be rig. To the point where it was almost unplayable.

Turning down graphics settings did not seem to help.

I should just upgrade I guess.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DEI's campaign layer is soooooo slowwww

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Great mod for fuckin around w quick battles though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
Jesus christ... in a game that's over 10 years old and was patched for 5 years they never managed to fix the bug where the AI's ships won't unload when attacking your port city. Some of them just get stuck in the harbor and, if you have battle time limit turned off, you have to concede defeat even though you have been doing everything correctly. gently caress's sake CA. :ssj: