Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Tootin' the new thread. :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

SeanBeansShako posted:

^
That Native American don't give a drat, horse surf to freedom little guy!

Speaking of Empire, I'm an idiot who can never seem to get a UK game right. I always seem to get bogged down fighting in North American against the obnoxiously early revolting colonies and then out teched with my Navy against France and Spain.

This is irritating as everyone else seems to state the UK in Empire is easy mode. Can anyone give me good advice to make sure I make it to 1730?

I never start as UK because I hate the naval part of the game. I prefer France or one of the other mainland western European countries.

It's tough as Prussia though on land. Poland-Lithuania is just throwing their armies at my two starting cities and I'm having a tough time doing anything else than defending them. :(

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

The Kins posted:

I don't think this has been posted yet...

The latest issue of Australian games mag PC PowerPlay has this on its back page:

They correctly teased Dead Souls PC in a similar fashion and they've had lots of Total War news in the past. And apparently there's supposed to be a Total War announcement at Rezzed on July 6...

Oh my goooood. :aaa:

Please don't screw this up TCA.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

NihilCredo posted:

Personally I think they should just do a sci-fi or fantasy game (or steampunk or post-apocalyptic or whatever). Historical accuracy is only a secondary attraction for Total War games, at least vanilla ones. With a fantastical setting they would be free to develop both a strategic map AND a unit roster focused entirely on good and interesting gameplay, instead of being forced into awkward compromises like Mummy Returns Egypt or You Only Live Twice ninjas.

There is no way the Total War community would let this happen.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

quote:

The bigger campaign map has "hundreds" of regions to move your units around, but the game buckets them into provinces to make management easier. The idea is to have you thinking about armies and legions rather than fiddling around with individual units.

Seems like detailed region play is coming back.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Pope Mobile posted:

How can I set the camera controls to best mimic those in Shogun 2?

Can you state which game?

Every Total War game before Empire has funky controls that are impossible to mimic the newer games.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
The new PC Gamer of this month has new screenshots of Rome 2.

I need scans, quickly! :f5:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
:siren::siren: NEW ROME 2 SCREENSHOTS :siren::siren:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Sole Survivor posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OHV628oGiU

First gameplay video of Rome 2. PC Gamer says it's ingame footage, which would be impressive, to say the very least.

Oh my god. :stare::fh:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Stainless Steel has the longest turns ever. :smith:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Endman posted:

That's it. My immersion is totally shattered. I see not a single prostitute, pack-mule or minstrel in those screenshots, and CA expect me to believe these are Varus' ill-fated legions?

There's no way I can play this game until there's a campaign-wife DLC pack. :goonsay:

I'm actually wondering why they don't add any sort of civilians fleeing in the chaos of sieges and village battles.

This would be an awesome thing to witness as you pillage enemy country-sides and assault their cities. :black101:

It's sometimes boring to see a battle in this massive empty city between these 2 groups of guys in some distinct corner.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
My computer can't run the newer total war games well enough to enjoy, and M2 currently is my favorite total war game.

But this 'abandon all siege equipment' bug for M2 with stainless steel (defensive battles bug) is seriously enough to get me to uninstall the game. This is bugging me and I'm not finding any submods or fixes that are compatible with the steam version of the game. :(

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Any magic option I can change in M2 settings to get me through bigger battles?

I have a huge blob of rebels sitting outside of my capital (Playing as denmark with the Eras mod) but I'm just too afraid that my little old choo-choo train computer will spontaneously combust. :(

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Holy piiiissss, Ballista towers for your citadel/fortress on M2 are glorious. :stare:

They've killed like half of an invading military of 3000.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I'm fairly sure I have discovered the greatest M2 mod ever.

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?428039-Planet-War-Campaign-Released!

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
I'm actually surprised they haven't made a game set in China, or around China.

Didn't China historically have one of the most militaristic countries in the world pre-renaissance? Or at least they were at war a lot.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Aww. It seem they're still pushing their whole less-campaign-map goal with more battles. Of course I love battles, but stripping the campaign map screen of features and buttons to click is part of the reason I quickly got bored of Shogun 2. :(

Also, there is no way the ballistae's were that big!

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Arcsquad12 posted:

What's your preferred army setup? In M2TW, when I play Scotland, I go with a primary line of eight Pikemen, a second line of six Highland Nobles or Swordsmen, two archers (scots archers suck), and fill the rest out with Cavalry. The Highland Nobles are loving awesome with their claymores, they devour enemy units. They aren't the strongest greatsword unit in the game (I think those are the Zweihanders), but the Nobles are so numerous and cheap to produce that it doesn't matter.

Using Stainless Steel: Giant line of spearmen in the front, normally 4-6 men deep, if the battle is bigger I put another spearmen unit behind the frontline dudes. I put my mercenary/stronger melee units on the sides, sometimes at an angle so there's kind of a 'wall' of men on each flank to protect the general in the back. the skirmishers I put behind the rest of the infantry, but in front of the general. And the cavalry I put way off on the side so they can smash the back of the enemy infantry after they've connected with mine. I always try to provoke the ai to attack me rather than charging myself, that way I can just enable guard mode and watch my dudes maul at them with little casualties.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 13, 2013

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Rome doesn't look too bad with the help of some mods. :shobon:

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jun 22, 2013

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
To be fair though guys, I'm gonna be upset if this doesn't support the capability of making any EB-type mods, and I know a lot of you will too. :(

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Ragingsheep posted:

drat it, I'm never going to get my China focused Total War game :(

Yeah, China's military history was huge. Medieval and ancient China's wars make European conflicts look tiny in those ages.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
The first rome had a demo.

I remember being 14 walking into Target seeing this little 5$ rome demo disk sitting there along with the rest of the PC games. It's what got me into the TW series. :3:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
There's still one more month, guys. :negative:

Lots of new videos coming out today. The hype engine is beginning to rev up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV5C5Obh8mk

edit: I'm loving the city maps.

edit2: Holy poo poo, shields can break if they get hit enough.

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 1, 2013

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
What purpose does the generals rally abilities have in Rome (with EB mod) and MTW2 (with SS mod)?

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Rabhadh posted:

I can't get myself interested enough to install Napoleon over Empire, the campaigns just can't compare.

while the map overall in Empire is bigger with the addition of America and India, I'm pretty sure the Europe in Napoleon is larger than the Europe in Empire.

That goddamn one province France in empire :argh:

Imapanda fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 17, 2014

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
So uh, does the gamespy removal effect any of my mods installed?

It seems like it's seriously reinstalling all the games. :confused:

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Aw man. EB2 doesn't have the reforms in yet it seems. :(

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Yeah, it's most likely Atilla.

Check out this pic.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Sober posted:

Not to sound like a Warscape engine apologist (it has plenty of issues) but someone needs to actually explain this unit collision grief everyone has. I've googled for it but I never found any concrete examples of what people are describing. Or is it some catch-all for "I hate everything?"

You never noticed the very obvious clipping and sliding the tiny men experience when colliding with the other tiny men?

It was a much bigger issue earlier in R2s patch cycle where men would seriously iceskate moonwalk on the dirt 40 feet away from where they were. Much less so now, but it still exists in small amounts.

I upgraded my pc lately and it's much more noticeable now with a higher framerate. I almost never really noticed it when the game was running twice as slow.

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum
Standalone expansion? Let's hope it changes R2 to the better like how Napoleon changed Empire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imapanda
Sep 12, 2008

Majoris Felidae Peditum

Rabhadh posted:

I'd recommend Imperial Splendour over DarthMod any day. IS is an actual polished and focused mod while DarthMod is a mash up of some poorly implemented ideas and units. If you go for IS, pick up a few submods such as the battle AI one.

One of the things that really bothers me in IS is that none of the technology unlocks have descriptions. At least in my current campaign as France.