Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I can't be the only one that's a little disappointed they're not calling it Total Warhammer, though.

War: Total Ham

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I'm way behind on the series, but I'm getting everything from Shogun 2 up to and including Atilla. I'll start with shogun 2, are there any quality of life or graphic mods I should most certainly install? Not looking into changing too much about the core gameplay in my first few games.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Man I'm playing Shogun 2 now and after playing every total war game from rome up to shogun I don't think I've ever felt like agents brought a fun dimension to the campaign. I wish they just scrap the entire system or rethink it entirely.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah I've only ever actually "completed" two Total War games - Medieval II where I kept playing till I had conquered the entire known world (and mostly because I was doing an LP) and Rome 2 where I got the military victory condition and decided to call it a day there. Normally I just play a campaign until it gets too unwieldy to manage it all anymore, or I come up with a new idea I want to try out or a new faction I want to explore. Still gets hundreds of hours out of the games, I just don't "finish" them.

Haha holy poo poo, your Scotsman in Egypt LP is the first and only one I read from start to finish, that must have been ages ago.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

peer posted:

Hey here's some news https://www.totalwar.com/blog/what-the-teams-are-working-on-07-06-17/

Of interest for non-Warhammer fans:

- new "large campaign DLC" for a "recent historical title" (so probably Attila):

- stand-alone "historical flashpoint" title from an already-visited era, with a focus on a shorter, intense historical period (like Fall of the Samurai)

They are working on 2 new historical games, one with a new setting (my guess would be that 3 kingdom thing that everyone keeps talking about) and one with a limited scope set in an era we've already seen (probably the middle ages I guess).

They also announced a new race pack for Warhammer 1 to be released before 2, which will not be Kislev, it will also include some free stuff for people that own certain DLC's.

That picture for the historical DLC for the existing game makes me hope it will be about the crisis of the 3rd century, it's one of the more interesting periods during the roman empire they haven't adressed yet. Basically the combined pressure of foreign invaders, civil war, economic pressure and the plague lead to 50 years of the Roman empire coming incredibly close to collapsing upon itself, yet they barely make it out, mostly thanks to Aurelian reconquering everything and Diocletians economic reforms. Interestingly, if you look at the related articles in the wikipedia entry it has both the Sengoku period and the Three kingdoms period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Third_Century

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

shalcar posted:

I'm curious about why you rate Empire over Napoleon. What metrics are you using other than a bigger world map and bigger unit roster?

Are you just primarily interested in a global scale conflict or is it something else?

He's certainly not using the performance metric.

In my mind someone posting here about how empire is a better game than Shogun 2 is just trolling.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

kanonvandekempen posted:

That picture for the historical DLC for the existing game makes me hope it will be about the crisis of the 3rd century, it's one of the more interesting periods during the roman empire they haven't adressed yet. Basically the combined pressure of foreign invaders, civil war, economic pressure and the plague lead to 50 years of the Roman empire coming incredibly close to collapsing upon itself, yet they barely make it out, mostly thanks to Aurelian reconquering everything and Diocletians economic reforms. Interestingly, if you look at the related articles in the wikipedia entry it has both the Sengoku period and the Three kingdoms period.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crisis_of_the_Third_Century

Gonna quote myself from a few months ago here.

For a modest fee I'll predict your lottery numbers.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

unwantedplatypus posted:

CA would never do a game about a lesser known era, that's why Fall of the Samurai doesn't exist

If there wasn't a well known movie starring the rather famous Tom Cruise set in that era I'd agree with you.
Edit: actually you're right, but you just picked the wrong example I think.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
This game also seems to be selling extremely good for a TW game, over 120.000 players on steam, already surpassed peak WH1.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Hentai Jihadist posted:

I assume troy TW will basically be age of mythology TW. I guess with just Greek mythology though it'd be cool if they gave the trojans some asian stuff

One of their representatives said on reddit that they were mostly exploring the 'truth behind the myths', so I guess not really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
Edit: like an idiot, i posted in the wrong thread

kanonvandekempen fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Apr 9, 2024