Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Even if the enemy has samurai you should just drown them in superior amounts of peasants early, samurai aren’t really worth it until later. Spear ashigaru can hold the line for your peasant archers, and also for your extra stickmen to flank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I never feel bad if they're not (or any special legendary character) willing to join me, I slam down that execute button for their sweet gear. Shouldn't have sided with the wrong team :colbert: .

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Generally I think the elite yellow turban troops are better than the standard faction ones, since a lot of them have high melee/ranged evasion or block and immune to fatigue, although they tend to have low armor.

The exceptions would be:

crossbows (archer masters are great though)
elite cavalry

On the other hand, yellow turbans need some cool stuff because you're with pretty much at war with everybody forever, and the other yellow turban factions almost always eat poo poo immediately.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Actually I forgot about the watchmen so they actually do have crossbows, I guess that's what happens when you actually have to research to unlock dudes :negative:.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Ran into some weird bug as the Yellow Turbans where I was at war with Zheng Jiang, but at some point the game considered me not at war in terms of the strategic layer but still at war in the diplomatic layer; I could sign peace but also invite her to a coalition despite being a war, but I couldnt' attack any of her armies/settlements and any movement in her territory was considered trespassing (although it looks like she couldn't attack me either). I tried signing peace and then redeclaring war but it didn't fix it at all.

Had already hit critical mass so it was going to be a win, but it was pretty annoying since earlier I already had to redo a bunch of turns since the game kept crashing when the enemy attacked in a siege battle 3 armies vs 1.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I don’t like the Nanman factions much so I would recommend A World Betrayed, Lu Bu and Sun Ce get some interesting campaigns there. Eight Princes is probably the weakest, although I’ve heard Mandate is still kind of buggy.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I like Romance since 3k is based pretty heavily on R3TK, but generals can get pretty absurdly busted in that mode. Records is definitely a lot more traditional.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
While there are tons of strong generals Zhou Tai has to take the crown because his oathsworn ability is so completedly busted you can solo entire armies with just him as long as you don't run into a wall of spears and de-horse yourself.

I guess Lu Bu with all the Greatest Warriors buffs in the World Betrayed campaign is similar in power but takes a lot more work.

I like Serious Trivia but most of his fights are pretty boring so it's best to focus on his informational videos or strategic layer management.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Yeah I'm not sure what's up, that happened in one of my games recently where the Yellow Turban Rebellion took a few settlements NE of Changan and hired all the old Yellow Turban Faction leaders, so they had like 7-8 armies running with them and armies of nothing else but peasants. They were eventually cleaned out by the CPU but was kind of silly.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Keep in mind you can burn down towers with fire arrows, recommended since they do quite a lot of damage.

For walls trebs make everything easier, despite the numerous nerfs to them they’re still indispensable especially once they get vet.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can if you want, but replenishment in 3K is very slow compared to WH2 until you get more reforms researched/abilities unlocked/items acquired so it's worth trying to preserve your forces early.

Also since in vanilla 3K caltrops are apparently the equivalent of nuclear ICBMs so running your men through small checkpoints isn't advisable and the computer loves caltrops.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Dec 30, 2020

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
3K infantry combat isn't especially grindy until the high tiers, but it's mostly a function of how units don't have a melee accuracy stat (or melee atk stat) and only have a melee evasion stat, so once you get to the higher tiers when infantry starts getting quite a bit of melee evasion and also morale that it seems grindy. It's all relative to how lethal ranged (despite the nerfs) and shock cavalry charges are in that game.

It's also why you should always aim to make Sun Ce your heir or faction leader since he gives +100% charge bonus to shock cavalry :getin:.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
You can unhorse the enemy generals that way, but it's pretty finicky. Just don't charge your own generals into braced spears.

The south has the most lucrative commanderies in the game between Changsha, Poyang, Zangke, Yuling, and all the spice down there, it just takes time to develop them. Also having to deal with Mr. Vengeful Meng Huo is annoying since the Nanman jungle gives fairly large penalties to fighting there.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
If for whatever reason you don’t like the new mechanics in RoM the characters are also available for the vanilla game via the MTU mod, maybe some are not balanced that well but then again vanilla Zhou Tai exists.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Really that's where you should be expanding as Sun Jian anyways, after taking the initial city it's usually best to hightail it back to Changsha and claim the rest of it, then Poyang just to the east as both of those are some of the most lucrative commanderies in the game and you get a weapon/armorsmith.

Sun Ce is pretty fun since it's a relatively easy campaign to get a bunch of unique characters. Well, also the fact that Sun Ce is busted.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Bandits are kind of weird since they're supposed to rely on tributaries for income but at least on harder difficulties it's really annoying to make factions become your tributary (maybe I need to issue more ultimatums?).

The limited units is a bit annoying but later on bandits get so much corruption reduction and retinue upkeep from their tree you can field a billion armies and it's not a problem. Then once you capture a seat you can just spam emperor units instead.

Also for whatever reason you can't force other factions to abdicate emperorship if you play bandits, so you have to take all the remaining seats. That said, Zheng Jiang is pretty busted once you get enough infamy to be unbreakable everywhere.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The main problem with spies is using your own spies is pretty terrible, since not only do you have to send over a character, there's a chance they won't get hired at all or get into any good positions. It's much easier and reliable to use turncoats, although as the computer gets access to the imperial ministers finding those can be very difficult (although any spies you manage to get hired by the enemy will probably defect unless you spam the maintain loyalty subterfuge).

It can be useful to sabotage enemy armies, but reducing satisfaction of named chars so I can steal them is mostly what I use them for.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yes, I would like to make a firing line of Armstrong cannons again in a more modern Total War :getin:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
At least they’re finally nerfing caltrops, those things were absurdly lethal.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The Yuan Shao video is out now too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=549hOwqami4

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Finally nerfing nuclear caltrops, no more looking away for 2 seconds from a melee line to see your entire unit of heaven's protector's were eliminated by 20 men throwing pointy traps.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
He Yi is usually doable since he starts pretty close and you can beeline for him after dealing with Cao Cao. The other two are more likely to die before you get to them unfortunately since the Yellow Turbans tend to lose pretty badly and get executed.

Worst comes to worst Lu Bu really doesn't gain much from territory so you can mostly abandon your commanderies early and zoom south.

Unfortunately he's also one of the most important since he gives hp regen to Lu Bu.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

Azran posted:

I remember some time ago they added a "characters can't die of old age" toggle, has anyone given it a try?

It's pretty self-explanatory, the only real issue with it is that you might miss out on some characters because of it.

Best example I can think of is if Sun Jian doesn't bite it at some point Da Qiao and Xiao Qiao will never show up since their event is dependent on Sun Ce being faction lead (and/or Sun Jian being dead) or something along those lines, IIRC.

I don't think it's that common though, I like it to keep around named characters since I get bored of armies of nothing but generics.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Computer is just absurdly aggro against you in general, it actually makes Yuan Shu in 190 a pain because for some reason the AI always sends Lu Bu 100000 miles from his middle of nowhere fighting position to come fight you when everybody already hates Yuan Shu.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Well, Lu Ji at least has a unique title, not that she's particularly good or anything though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
They reduced the age kids come of age now in the latest patch, it’s now 16 instead of 18 iirc.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's pretty much the first thing you should do, Lu Bu is strong enough that you can pretty much ignore the starting path they put out for you and head south instead to kill off all of Cao Cao's armies.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
His unique unit might be better now since the nerfs to projectiles, but being an unshielded unit that's only good against infantry is pretty limiting in 3K as shock cavalry and projectiles are still the powerhouse despite the nerfs.

They're certainly usable though and a fun flavor unit.

I always have a hard time with Yuan Shu though because every single leader hates Yuan Shu (historically accurate I guess :v:) but it also means the AI player focus means you get tons of idiots coming your way all the time.

He also doesn't start with a powerhouse generals that can carry his early game either.

Talking about earlygame powerhouses I tried a Liu Yan campaign for a bit and King Wutugu declared war super early, extremely deadly to deal with :negative:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Yeah, the problem is that Liu Yan doesn't start with a good dueling general so Wutugu can basically murder every single one of your lovely men by himself. At least he's not unbreakable :shepface:

On that start I managed to score Yu Jin (who comes with a gold weapon) and Wen Chou early and he still beat the poo poo out of them :negative: .

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Mar 24, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Just had the weirdest campaign as the big Dong where I took most of the west side by getting rid of Ma Teng and Han Sui, then let the emperor take over and allied with Yuan Shu/Zheng Jiang to take out Gongsun Zan, then confederated Cao Cao and cleaned up Sun Quan to win the campaign.

Also yeah Cao Cao must die immediately in every campaign because it's a huge pain to deal with all his schemes.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's not a problem in 194, just 190 because every time the big Dong always sends over Lu Bu and Zhang Liao all the way from Anding to come fight me and combined with everybody else getting angry things can get pretty difficult. And you'd probably have to roll a silver weapon to actually fight him (or trade for one) because I think only Yuan Shu starts with a guaranteed weapon and it's an authority sword.

It's hard to drown him in militia too since there have been pretty large nerfs to militia morale and chances are they'll just rout :v:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Wutugu's just a pain to fight with Liu Yan so you want to avoid it early if possible, advanced Han troops are better than Nanman troops but early game you can't afford them and with the militia nerfs the early game Nanman units will stand toe-to-toe with your units (and given the AI economic bonuses they'll have at least one big stack). That leaves Wutugu which thanks to his shitkicker axe can murder anybody else left standing.

It's certainly possible to do but you'll pay really heavily in troops and time since even if you win you'll have to wait a couple turns to replenish with early turn replenishment rate.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
The concept of finding some way to limit use of imperial units was well-intentioned, but I don't think it was implemented very well as the high tech requirements (especially for household cavalry) and the terrible replenishment rate really make most of them pretty mediocre unless you're Sun Ce/Jian and can abuse the mercenary system to instantly replenish them.

Crossbowmen are pretty much the only ones I use often because they're unlikely to take much damage being crossbow units, and they're one of the few 250 range archer units left.
The mounted crossbowmen are also fairly decent since they can double as cavalry to some extent and you get them from the same reforms.
Protectors of Heaven do 99% of the job of gate guards while having no replenishment penalty or tech tree requirement.
The swords are fine I guess? but once again protectors of heaven are excellent and don't have to deal with any of the above.
I don't think you can actually get household cavalry in a standard game with no mods unless you sandbag really hard as you need to finish like 3 branches of the yellow line to get to it.
Imperial Lancer cavalry are the only other ones I use since they're cool, but in practice heavy cataphracts are once again not that much worse for not having to deal with replenishmentn (and now you even have access to the Xiongnu units for no tech requirement).

It's actually even worse now because the AI loves to spam the diminished supplies council on your armies, so losing another 5% replenishment when those units already get a natural -15% makes them extremely infeasible to use.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 28, 2021

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
On hard or higher battle difficulty in 3K the AI doesn't waste arrows on 100% ranged block units or generals (unless you only have generals on the field).

That said they'll fire on 95% (or anything less than 100%) ranged block units so you can get them to waste ammo that way.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I probably like World Betrayed the most since Sun Ce and Lu Bu have pretty interesting mechanics, and especially Sun Ce appeals to the gotta collect all the uniques mindset I always have.

Besides that it's a tossup for me between Furious Wild and Mandate of Heaven; I don't actually like playing as Nanman that much but I heard a lot of talk with things in MoH being broken and never fixed, although personally I never noticed.

Fates Divided is last for me just because I don't really enjoy starting with a big empire; Cao Cao does start with all the cool toys though.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
So far with Zhang Yan I escaped to the west and took Taiyuan, then engaged in a mercenary contract against Yuan Shao for Cao Cao.... then 5 turns later Cao Cao made peace with him and now they are diplomatic friends :negative:.

One thing you should do right away is swap in your son though, as he starts with night battle.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009

MiddleOne posted:

I feel like to have any chance you basically have to annihilate one of them completely or migrate across the map. When they peace out each other it's like a you have a death-clock above your head.

Actually funnily enough Cao Cao broke the treaty like 5 turns later and I helped clean out Yuan Shao, now it's Wu vs Wei and then I'm struggling alone at the top since Liu Bei decided to vassalize under Cao Cao.

100 turns in and I'm holding onto basically the top half of the northern part of China :shepface:

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
It's from hard onwards.

I gave up on my Zhang Yan campaign, I manage to take most of the north above the Yellow River, but Sun Ce lost his emperor seat to Cao Cao, and while Liu Bei eventually confederated Liu Biao and became the third King, he lost his seat too and was confederated by Cao Pi so basically it was me versus the rest of China. (although I managed to capture and execute Cao Cao at some point, gently caress you :v:)

It might have been easier if the bandits weren't so limited on quality troops, but having to fight Protectors of Heaven and Defenders of Earth with bandit troops makes it really hard to push without taking a lot of casualties as the gap in quality is just too big. Cao Cao also starts with a million good generals too, so you can't outdo him on that front either.

Think somehow you just have to escape south and cut off Cao Cao before he gets too strong.

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
I think He Man starts with something silly like 70-80% melee evasion, so you would really need a strategist with Wisdom of the River (-100% armor/melee evasion) around to help to defeat him in a duel. After all, he's the most powerful :v:

TW3K is weird in that it doesn't have a melee attack stat, so melee evasion rules 1v1 combat (and Lu Bu has basically none, although he has 80% armor)

It's also why Pei Yuanshao is probably one of the best duelists in the game because he's a combat general that also has Wisdom of the River.

RoyalScion fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RoyalScion
May 16, 2009
Eventually after enough hellwars in the 3K I just get tired of trying to curry favor and just start mashing the execute button on most everybody, especially jerks like Lu Bu and Gao Shun who don't want to join up :colbert:.

Gao Shun is always especially annoying since he's pretty loyal, is unbreakable, and has basically sentinel stats as a vanguard, he's super bonkers.

Especially if I lack good dueling generals.