Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I'd get Medieval 3 if they grew balls and kept it running through the Renaissance era too along with the recent engine, UI and AI updates.

Speaking of Medieval, gently caress you foreign Merchants. I hate your tiny little greedy existance with a searing passion. Stop being dicks!

Also, about the proper Napoleon DLC I forget to mention the challenge in it is planning and logistics too. It isn't a simple case of growing a death stack and owning bones as the French out death stack you by four or five always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Nothing is as satisfying as getting an Assassin to top tier though and doing a little 'cleaning' of foreign investors.

Then losing him because he didn't love Jesus that much (noooo).

Also, shalcar, mention the STEAM Group and Modding thread too in the op.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So the Goony Officer Club I hear barely anyone is showing now. Should I put it on hiatius until after the summer at least?

Lets hear your thoughts guys.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

^
That Native American don't give a drat, horse surf to freedom little guy!

Speaking of Empire, I'm an idiot who can never seem to get a UK game right. I always seem to get bogged down fighting in North American against the obnoxiously early revolting colonies and then out teched with my Navy against France and Spain.

This is irritating as everyone else seems to state the UK in Empire is easy mode. Can anyone give me good advice to make sure I make it to 1730?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Imapanda posted:

I never start as UK because I hate the naval part of the game. I prefer France or one of the other mainland western European countries.

It's tough as Prussia though on land. Poland-Lithuania is just throwing their armies at my two starting cities and I'm having a tough time doing anything else than defending them. :(

It doesn't help that if you can't nip those Pirates in they bud they become some sort of hosed up Disney-esqe super power.

As for my Prussian campaign the first twenty years was touch and go but their line is rock solid to the last man. If all else fails you can cheese down bigger stacks with siege battles with the old 'two cannons firing grapeshot at the knocked down fort door' exploit. You'll feel slightly dirty though but sieges are hosed anyways.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So CA are holding a Modders Summit in July. Interesting.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope they invite everyone but the DarthMod guy who'd turn up in something like samurai darth vader cosplay or something.

Some people are theorising that they're starting to eye up STEAM Workshop.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So Napoleon Total War is 50% off and free to play for the weekend in I think both single and multiplayer modes.

If you are into black powder warfare, silly hats and bloody charges go ahead. Give it a go.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Depends, the DLC really is a few Elite Regiments. I'd get the proper DLC when you wrap your head around some of the mechanics. NTW's attrition system takes a key role in that campaign.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is quite a few issues aside from the AI. The art style and UI is bland, the graphics look very beta engine-esqe sometimes and the fact the only modding that can be done is stats tweaking and reskins really crippled peoples opinions of Empire.

It is a good game, but it could have been so so much better.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I personally believe CA actually is starting to see Paradox as some sort of threat, considering their game sales aren't slowing down anytime soon and the latest Crusader Kings appears to quite a bit hit. How long now before somebody in Paradox throws up a decent looking battle engine likes theirs in the next Europa or Victoria?

This modding conference might hopefully mean good things for modding with the newer games, fingers crossed.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Calm down. There is mod that expands the artillery roster in Fall. Go get that quickly.

The two things that will always annoy me about Empire is the fact NOBODY considered a basic range finder icon for the cannon to show you'll be firing into the dirt instead of the enemy on the cursor and the fact they just mix and match uniforms from the 1700s and 1780s all over the game.

In Rome we had the Marius reforms, in Empire we have a mad loving bunch of tailors who can see in the future or never left the past.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Basically, Empire was the beta version of the engine CA uses now. They will happily sell you beta version of its products with no qualms at all.

It still boggles my mind why they haven't opened the engine up for modding for the community too. I see bargain bin sold out software style discs of the thing at the local super market. At least let modders fudge the AI to a decent state and expand the continents already!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So guys who tried Napoleon this weekend whats your thoughts on it so far?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

As long as Paradox keeps the pausable real-time gameplay (and why wouldn't they? It's perfect for their games) there will never, ever be playable battles in any of their games.

I disagree, I think they should do what Total War did before they went full 3D and embrace a sprite style early TW battle engine.

As for NW multiplayer tips, sort out a battle with some goons in the group maybe?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flippycunt posted:

I'd much rather have the Total War games continue to improve their campaign mode rather than see Paradox try and implement real time battles.

We'll see what July holds for us. I've not exactly got my fingers crossed though for a renaissance at CA.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think Shogun 2's engine is now a completely a different beast to Empires. Empire was like the beta prototype of it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

NihilCredo posted:

Don't bother with minor vanilla fixes, especially if you're at all interested in the historical aspect of the game.

https://www.europabarbarorum.com

There are other great mods for R:TW and maybe there will be goons who can vouch for them, but this is the one I can personally swear by. Dumped countless hours both on having fun playing the game and on learning all the historical detail that is built into the mod.

Don't get Rome Total Realism too. Seriously (dear god!).

Anyone have any clue what they did with the latest NTW update wise?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Heroes of the Napoleonic Wars ARE the units of the Imperial Edition FYI.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I think RTR's problem is feature bloat.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Mans posted:

What's the difference about reinforcements you guys keep talking about?

Pre-NTW the only way you could reinforce a depleted unit was 'merge' them with another type at the cost of their experince. Your Generals could pick up skills and ancilliaries than would give you more injuries than deaths in battles but if a solid unit of yours was hit bad merging, disbanding or sending them to guard a favoured city were your only options.

In NTW a proper system of supply and attrition was introduced. In friendly territory your units automatically reinforce themselves and you can build structures to speed this up as well like warehouses. You can still merge I think and lose experince if you are desperate for a reinforced unit.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Going into enemy territory not only slows your guys down the replenishment speed is decreased slightly. Unless winter hits then your going to lose guys to it too.

Got to plan your movements and upgrades now!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

tables posted:

Which mods would you recommend for Napoleon? I want to play as a small nation, but tweak vanilla a bit. How does the Napoleon: All in One Mod fair out?

I personally suggest The Rights Of Man.

Also, speaking of weird Empire era stuff remember when your dismounted dragoons would lose a horse to a stray musket or cannon shot and the entire regiment refused to climb back onto their equines in a weird ceremonial display of mourning sort of way?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Speaking of Fall, if you play with the Blood Pack DLC and zoom in on some guys getting shot it seems those chunky 19th century early rifle slugs are quite happily chewing out what appears to masses of rib cage.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The recent out of the blue DLC packs for NTW has hosed up most of the Napoleon mods. Man I'm not going to envy CA's people during this conference.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Hold on, play Fall with this mod here. I always think artillery despite being over powered gets the shaft.

Now you can be a traditionalist with slightly used Napoleonic era artilley!

I really hope they don't drop Fall right away after the new project is announced. It is the perfect engine and they have the assets for an American Civil War and other mid to late Victorian era conflicts.

Unless the next game is Colonial Total War or something instead of Rome 2. Money making wise, if they pick Rome 2 they have it made for two more years.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

So if it WAS Rome Total War 2, would you guys rather have a campaign where you play a selection of senatorial families with a handful of regions in your control or have a nice big detailed semi united Rome at your control when you begin?

I mean, I'd love it either way if the Senate were still dicks with their own army and Rome being an Independent city state you can take when your powerful.

I also hope the Celts get a better representation too. For some insane reason CA really likes half assing Celts and the British/English/Scottish in their games despite being a British studio?

Also, do we want the war dogs back? (answer is sure, why not...).

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I've always had more fun with a United Rome via mods too. I also wonder if they will consider giving the other nations their own possible Military reforms so the rest of the game isn't just a cake walk after Marius improves the Roman Army.

Plus that civil war was goddamn annoying.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I hope the awful looking Scooby Doo Egyptians don't return though. I would love them to remake the RTW intros at least too. Especially with the same music.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Empire gets slightly better if you suck it up and go in search for either the best they can do for a total conversion mod or a selection of mini mods that at least make things work slightly better for you.

I do say though, it got the scale right at least. Hilariously though that was also what hurt it bad as Napoleon and Shogun 2 are much more focused.

I loving hate Empires Europe though. Nothing says quality like the end game being reached by 1720 because the crowded continent of the modern powers is so small that an entire nation can be invaded and annexed in a year because they only had two cities.

Also, you have the Swiss Guard as DLC yet no Switzerland.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I was happy with TE, which just united Rome, reskinned everyone to look less dumb and did a few tweaks and balance things.

Oh, it expanded the map quite a bit too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Farecoal posted:

Yeah, yet another Greek clone to play as would be wonderful. How about they focus on fun rather than realism?

To ignore the cultural impacts of Greece and Alexander The Greats conquest would be plain stupid in a game set in the Classical era. I'm sorry you hate history.

Also, Greeco-Egyptian cultural wasn't that identical too. You seem to think you'll just get slightly browner phalanxes.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The point is though RTW's Egyptians were almost offensively dumb looking and cheesy to me.

I'm hoping non Roman factions get a little more research and detail this time around.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

They could have made a Greeco-Egyptian faction at least vaguely better looking than generic stereotypes on chariots.

On a slightly different note I'm quite eager to see how they'd pull of the Naval Combat of the era too.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

But fighting dumb looking chariots is equally boring?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Farecoal posted:

^^^^^ I unironically agree

No it isn't, and how are they dumb looking?

They are dumb looking because when they are action it turns into a circus.

It is clear at this point we both have completely different view points on what we want in Total War games and going on is going to just drag this topic down now so I'm shutting up.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Spaceman Future! posted:

That's not to say I wouldn't totally be down with a civil war entry if it came first. An even more expansive FOTS system based on the bloodiest war in American history? Could be amazing.

FOTS is pretty much the perfect mid Victorian era battle simulator for this.

Considering out of the blue they dusted off NTW and dropped some unit DLC for it it could happen if they need a little extra funding for the next project.

They'd need to reskin some stuff, throw in a few new models or reskins from NTW and hire some American voice actors and fluff up a detailed map of North America and you can go hog wild.

I do hope whatever the next one is they keep the direct control of artillery feature. That was kinda fun. Now we can snipe generals with burning pitch covered rocks!

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The plot thickens. Time to dig out my HBO's Rome DVDs.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Plavski posted:

Roll on series 3 of Time Commanders.

Seriously. Roman, Napoleonic and with a little bit of modding to make the graphics look pretty 18th century history and hilariously badly done battles for the masses!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

tables posted:

Yes! poo poo is going to rock! CA can take their sweet time on it, I want this to be perfect.

Open ETW and NTW up for modding, that'll keep everyone busy for over a year while you work on Rome 2. Rome 2 better be development for at least a year.