Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just started playing Fall of the Samurai. It's the first Total War game I've played since Empire and I'm enjoying it so far.I haven't played the original Shogun 2 but I hear it's a lot better, is there any truth to that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I've been playing a lot of CK2 for the last years so the standard Total War campaign feels a bit shallow in comparison but Total War still has some great battles sometimes when the AI manages to finds it's rear end. At very least I had a lot of fun blowing up a far more numerous army of dudes with swords and spears with my cannons and then having my rifle dudes shoot the ragged survivors to death when they got close.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jul 11, 2015

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I don't think the FotS AI can handle sieges very well if they don't have artillery. I was defending against a far superior force, expecting to be totally wiped out because they not only had more men than I had but they also had generally better troops. I almost totally wiped them out and didn't really lose that much:

They got inside the fort but I had everyone fall back to the inner fort and after a long while of them trying to climb the walls, getting shot as they got closer and stabbed by spearmen if they did get over all of them started routing at the same time and I could mow them down really easily.

It reminds me of one victory I got in the original Rome where I was defending against Britons in some backwater fort in Gaul. They had far more troops but I just gathered everyone in the center and when they got inside I had everyone charge them at once and for some reason they just started routing.

Also why does my Daimyo's 3 year old son look like he's at least 25?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Tomn posted:

On the flip side of the coin, it's pretty great to play as Russia and live out Victorian Russia's wet dreams about conquering India by means of Afghanistan. The best part is that European countries tend not to care as much because it's all so far away!

I did USA campaign in ETW where I conquered India by means of Afghanistan. It wasn't exactly easy but once I had a decent foothold in the subcontinent so much money was rolling in that i could easily conquer everything I needed in America and the rest of India at the same time.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Just got Shogun 2. So far I'm liking it a lot more than Empire, the last Total War game I played after having played everyone since the first Medieval. Empire had it's charm and it was fun to conquer most of the world and I even sort of liked the gunpowder warfare, once you got high enough up the tech tree for it to work properly. I think I might also be the only person that really liked ship combat but I'm a huge sucker for big ornate ships shooting various types of cannonballs at each other. It did however feel a bit unfocused. I tried Fall of the Samurai and liked it but it felt a bit like that once you got enough artillery you could basally annihilate anyone as long as you remember to have a couple of guys with pointy sticks stand around in case a couple of people got through the barrage.

I'm really early in playing as Shimazu. Basically streamrolled my weaker neighbor but the Christian dudes appear to have expanding while I was fiddling around and have gotten pretty big. I took two of their provinces pretty easily and burned all the christian stuff but public order is atrocious and they've just landed a very sizable army near a city that I left a bit under defended so I'm probably hosed.

I really like the look of everything. The drawings for portraits are much cooler looking than the realistic style Fall of the Samurai had.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mans posted:

Also you can just murder the pope

I had a master assassin parked on Rome for decades killing any popes that dared oppose mighty Hungary. When that guy dropped at a ripe old age he had killed a few dozen popes. I even think literally all of his targets in his entire career were popes.

FreudianSlippers fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Sep 10, 2017

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Booted up Empire for the first time in over a decade as France.

Got so tired of constant rebellions and Scottish invasions in England that I gave it to the Cherokee in exchange for peace . Somehow they haven't had any rebellions despite dismantling literally every building in the country and the Scots don't care at all.

I'm starting to suspect the AI gets some advantages.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like how in Empire occupying five or so islands is enough to fully eliminate the problem of Carribbean piracy.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Are the Marathas supposed to easily conquer the Mughals and Ottomans and then start invading the New World?

They took Newfoundland.

I think I might need to switch over to Napoleon total war for my musket needs because this is getting pretty silly.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

I've just started a new game of Empire as Britain, and am currently in turn 36. Despite my best efforts and funnelling them 500 gold a turn the Mughal Empire is down to five provinces in India. They held their own for a dozen turns but then it's just turned into a failure cascade and even if I decided to give them the 13000 gold a turn I'm making I doubt they would hold out for much longer (I managed to occupy 16 of the 20 available trade nodes as soon as the pirates died and it was safe for me to grab them). As for me, Spain wiped out the United Provinces in turn 4 so I had a third pirate region to conquer, but on the other hand I managed to nab Dutch Guyana and also Ceylon, so when the inevitable ground war in India comes, I have a decent base to strike from. Spain are gobbling up random Native American regions, while the United States have emerged so there could be some fun in the North American theatre soon

I managed to defeat them by spending ungodly amounts of money building armies in Ceylon, taking as many provinces as I could and then making a peace deal with them while I stabilized things and converted the populace to prevent uprisings. Rinse and repeat until I took their final province in the Indian theater and they were destroyed as a nation despite also controlling the entire area between India and the Balkans.

Probably helped they were very busy having a mega war with Poland Lithuania over the remains of Austria so most of their stacks were there.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Been playing Napoleon (while listening to a podcast about Napoleon.)

Really liked the Italian Campaign but the Egyptian Campaign feels like a bit of a slog of constant raids and rebellions.

The battles though are like Empire but better.

I'm looking forward to trying a proper European campaign.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I like there being throwaway trash mob garrisons because it makes sense that there would be militias and armed citizens of the actual troops are away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I think Napoleon has that as well.

You can even offer a city the option to surrender and if their vastly outnumbered or outgunned they'll usually take it