Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Are there any good mods for Shogun 2?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

StashAugustine posted:

Looks cool, can you play early/high campaigns all the way through or is it just locked to that era?

Also, I realized I'm playing vanilla M2, does Kingdoms affect the game if you're just playing the European campaign?

I don't think so but a lot of mods require Kingdoms.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Good AI is really hard to do in a game as complicated as Total War, while better visuals really isn't.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I haven't played a Total War game since Shogun 2. Since there's a sale going on right now, how have the historical games since then turned out?

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

All versions of Shogun 2 would be so much better without navies.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Yeah, I'm not the biggest fan of the actual naval battles but fighting multiple battles a turn just to keep my ports clear, let alone protect my trade routes is way too much.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

A good early game tip that a lot of people don't realize is that a unit of Light Cavalry will win a 1v1 against a low rank enemy general. You can win a lot of otherwise very difficult battles with relatively few losses by sniping the enemy general with your starting light cav.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

If you've never played it, Fall of the Samurai is probably Total War's best take on gunpowder combat but I'm not familiar with non-Total War stuff that do similar things to the series.

I would definitely love an Empire or Napoleon 2, maybe even more than Medieval 3.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Total War armies are professional soldiers in every meaningful way, regardless of the flavoring of low tier units.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The naval stuff in FOTS does suck though, even if it is one of my favorite games in the series overall.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

The M2 ai loved to send all their units away from their castles when you have a full stack a turn away for some reason, so it's pretty understandable why they moved to fixed, always there garrisons.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Kazzah posted:

Are Wooden Cannons at least better than those Sengoku-era cannons? I've never tested it out.

Wooden Cannons lose the 1v1. Levy Infantry also lose to Matchlock Ashigaru lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

FOTS has always been sold as both standalone and as Shogun 2 DLC, iirc.