Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

canuckanese posted:

I dunno, a whole game based on the Hellenic world during the Persian War and Peloponnesian War would be pretty boring. It works fine as a mods or maybe even as DLC, but I don't think a game with a dozen different Greek factions with different skins for their hoplites is something that tons of people would be clamoring to buy. It's an interesting part of history but it doesn't make for a very interesting game.

Maybe if you started just before the fall of Assyria at the end of the seventh century, say 610 BC and ended just before the rise of Macedonia, maybe 350 BC. Or you could go even further, maybe for fun you can have the Macedonian invasions be a world event like the Mongols in Medieval. You could have Assyria itself, the factions which eventually became the Persian empire but were still subjects to the Assyrians at the time (Persia, Media, Babylon, Lydia, etc), plus the nomads to the north/east (Saka, Sogdians, Bactrians, etc), plus the various Greek poleis, Egypt, maybe even India and Italy. I think the problem with this (huge) period of history is while it would be interesting and cool for big history nerds like us, your average person would be all like "well why didn't they just make Rome, you could still have all these factions and more, plus a bigger map"

Plus it's pretty silly to say that any timer period is "more interesting" than another.

On the other hand, this period is distant enough that they could probably get away with a bunch of wacky "historical" units and factions and it wouldn't feel jarring. And hell, historically this was basically a time of Total War. Ancient, ancient history doesn't get nearly enough love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

So I'm trying out Rome 2 now, having skipped it the first time around. Any must-have mods or anything? Not looking for DEI style overhauls.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

canyoneer posted:

4 turns per year (with seasons) is nice. Otherwise, with one turn per year your generals/agents age out and die before they can acquire decent skills

The Impaler posted:

Nothing 'must have', but as I've gotten back heavily into Rome2, I use the following, and the game is very serviceable:

Charge changes
Results in more 'meshing' in combat after charges. Probably my favourite mod, as something that I hated in Rome 2 at first is how hoplite phalanxes would charge each other at an awkward angle and only two three guys would fight, the rest of the block stopping dead. This also makes things like standing still and shield wall more important so that enemy doesnt break through easily.

Fog of war no city icons
Removes the city icons on the unexplored fog of war.

Unit building icon info
Adds mini-icons on the building icons so you can quickly see what costs food/ raises happiness, etc. I find it useful as you grow beyond 15-20 provinces to tell the state of your cities at a glance.

Unit stats extra info
Something that annoyed me was that I could not see archer range and the USELESS encyclopaedia only would have 'these guys have great range!' comment.

Campaign HD textures
Campaign Ocean HD texture
After spending so much time playing attila, Rome 2 textures are abonimable.

General graphics:
Extended battle/ campaign camera mod
More battle particles
No HDR mod

Thanks for the recs, these look good

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I posted a few days ago asking for mod recs for Rome 2. Now I'm gonna ask the same question for Attila and, gently caress it, Shogun as well, because apparently I'm on a deep dive on all the Total Wars I missed after Medieval 2 and the steam workshop UI isn't great for sorting through the chaff

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Nice thing about dei is that there's a decent array of maintained submods to tweak how grog you want it.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What are the recommended DLCs for Attila and Rome 2? Right now I have none, and I'm not sure if it's a Paradox deal where the faction ones also add gameplay features for everyone. Also any consensus between Charlemagne or the Last Roman?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I alwahys see praise for FotS, not a peep on, uh... the other one, "Rise" of the samurai? Is it any good?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

well, i went on a tear and picked up all the shogun dlc. I hope this game clicks for me!

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This looks like all the parts of Attila I liked best, and early medieval brit isles is extremely my poo poo. Really hope they don't gently caress this one up

endgame Norman Invasion is also a great idea

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

DeI is patched. That mod is the good poo poo, so long as you have yer submods in order.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Yeah I really don’t get the obsession with longer battles. Long battles can be cool for sure, like in darth’s game where each fight is like an hour, but in TW... nope. There are too many fights and a lot of them are going to be one-sided stomps. I don’t need to sit and watch the dudes duke it out for 20 minutes. And comparing warhammer battles to way, DeI battles the extra time doesn’t really increase any “tactical depth”, it just means I cycle charge more times to break whatever unit. I end up fast-forwarding because it takes my soldiers like 10 minutes to actually hack through some surrounded, doomed phalanx.

lrn 2 submod noob

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Is Atilla worth getting at this point if I like Rome 2? Late Antiquity is one of my favourite periods.

I fuckin love late antiquity but Attila's grand campaign didnt grab me. It feels kind of dated compared to Rome 2 at this point. Age of Charlemagne is a lot of fun though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

nopantsjack posted:

The period rules but I think its the worst modern total war. It barely runs and barely works as a game depending on which faction you play.

Other people like it though and it can be OK if you play as one of the Romes. Playing as the ERE was the only time I've had fun in that game AoC included. (AoC runs much faster but has tiny, samey rosters apart from the avars) It sort of seems meant for a big Empire gradually deteriorating kinda like the reverse of a normal TW.
It's a shame cause the combat is cool, especially cavalry who are as supreme as heavy infantry are in Rome 2. And fast skirmisher cavalry have never been better.

It's such a slog though, I boot it up to play Huns or really any faction and rarely make it past Attila's birth without uninstalling and playing something else.

There's one random modder on the steam workshop who has been slowly polishing AoC up for a while now, including differentiating the rosters a lot and adding in a Byz expedition faction. With that stuff included it's a lot of fun imo.

Im also pumped as hell for Thrones, TW is generally good in inverse proportion to its scale. Gonna Cnut the gently caress outa the isles

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

nopantsjack posted:

Alert: this became a wall of text, sorry, I am bored in a train station and enthusiastic.

Cavalry need to cycle charge, watch their kill counter after the charge and once they stop killing withdraw them, drag right click to position them ready for a charge (just giving them a usual move order they won't withdraw as effectively) then once theyre all there charge them again, repeat.

They should still be routing slingers 1v1 but Roman cav isn't that great until you get some good auxiliaries. Gaulic or Macedonian auxiliaries are probably the closest good cavalry. Cavalry is fairly fragile unless you're playing an eastern faction with cataphracts in which case theyre hard as nails.

In general DeI is quite diff from Warhammer, in Warhammer you select a strong unit and right click a weaker unit and it quickly deletes it with minimal losses. DeI is more about hammer and anvil and even tough infantry units will get bogged down by weaker ones. You can use this to your advantage by having a screen of crappy auxiliaries in front of your expensive pro units that will wear down the enemy.

Think of it as playing dwarves where your infantry are tough but not killy and they hold the enemy line while you put skirmishers or cav behind them. You gotta attack their butts to kill quickly in DeI (or use shock cav on weak units/non-peltast skirmishers) frontal attacks are slogs.

Cause I'm a huge nerdo DeI fan and I always like faction suggestions here are my fav factions:

Rome, obvs, best use of the auxiliary system, extremely strong units past the first reform.
Hayasdan, good unique unit selection, strong cav, automatic reforms(!).
Selukids, strong pike roster and big and wealthy start, good for playing as an Empire from the beginning.
Macedonia, early lancers, strong hoplites, positioned to strangle Rome in the crib.
Massalia, Greek barbarian hybrid positioned to smack barbs about.
Scordisci, huge varied roster of semi barbarians
Basilia Scythia, (sp?) horse Archer swarms, make the Greeks fear you.
Pontos, similar position to Hayasdan but with greek/persian hybrid roster so hoplites and hybrid melee archers, with extremely good auxiliary lancers.

Then there are the strong gimmick factions:
Rhodes, amazing slingers
Syracuse, amazing crossbows
Thracians, amazing shock infantry
Partha, amazing cataphracts
Numidia, amazing javelin cav
Nervii, amazing naked javelins
Best archers are Cretans or Syrians but can't play as Crete.

And finally, the best looking faction:
Medewi, awesome African roster that looks sweet on the march with early elephants and good javelins.

Theyre redoing Carthage soon which is good, it's a bit lackluster at the moment.

Thanks for this, I'm still coming to grips with dei. Any insights on sieging? Auto resolve always seems absurdly tilted against me, and it's kind of a pain in the rear end

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I was having problems with PO in DeI until i realized you can easily magic it away with governors + administration missions + buildings.

Speaking of the mod, I finally got my Nabatea game off the ground and it's going swimmingly. Seleucids got gang murdered and i took Iraq, and Im swiftly chomping through the Ptolemies. Unfortunately that ticked off the glorious senate and people of Rome, so my days are probably numbered as soon as they finish beating Galatia into a pulp for daring to cross the hellespont

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not gonna lie I was a little bummed at the chosen time period for the first saga game but the gameplay tweaks to the Attila formula are what are drawing me to TOB. Attila battles (when not fighting Huns) are so goddamn fun, so more infantry focused fights with shield walls and one hit KO javelins are extremely my poo poo.

^^^^
Hell yeah this, except I think the pre-Hastings British Isles are also cool af. I'm very excited to see what crazed TW modders can get up to, especially with the more focused scope.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm shamelessly doing the day one buy. Don't let me down here autistic modlords

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Buggy doesnt really describe thrones imo, but whatever. It feels to me like they conciously built most of these new systems so modders could go hog wild on them. That's great for someone like me who already loves the period, but if you feel otherwise you should probably wait.

Dang if i dont love this game and Atilla's sense of lethality after warhammer though, the hit point system makes sense for those games but I still hate watching dudes shrug off being slammed by a cannonball

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Anyone have mod recommendations for Napoleon?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Im mostly pissed that they're still pulling this blood dlc horseshit

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Finally had a chance to put some more time into Thrones. I've only played like two battles so far but the AI actually surprised me with its competence. So far I'd say it's better than Warhams for sure, although I have no doubt it's capable of breaking spectacularly under the right conditions. Skirmish is still obnoxious, seems like somebody just overtuned the distance that causes units to flee so hopefully it's an easy fix

Hunt11 posted:

Despite all this asI am having a lot of luck fighting them as by either accident or design the fact that the general units aren't mounded makes it real easy for me to just shower them in arrows until the general gets an unfortunate eye piercing.

:cryingharaldgodwinson:

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like how hard they're embracing CK2 style character mechanics. Bodes well for 3K as well

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I'm getting back into Shogun 2, it's so drat good. Are there any fun mods for it, or quality of life additions?

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I like it a lot. Reminds me of the uhh, "purity" of Shogun, and like that game (and unlike warhammer 2) the strat map is pretty interesting in its layout and conducive to good fights. Lack of blood dlc is getting me down though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I enjoy them well enough in Shogun 2, and to a lesser extent ToB... but in general, yeah, they are poo poo.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Arcsquad12 posted:

Are there any good mods for Attila AOC?

This guy has you covered

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Tob is pretty fun though, amd with the gore pack it is now finally playable

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

I played 3K at pax west and heck, it was pretty good. The UI really felt like a step up from Warhammer

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

That Thrones patch is huge as hell

e; just played it for a bit, and I actually had a really fun time, which is new for me and ToB. Estates and characters finally feel like they have a reason to exist, without being ignorable or too irritating to deal with. The UI changes help a lot

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Dec 19, 2018

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

so that's what that was.

ye on the whole it's a pretty big improvement. help that performance feels zippier, like they finally cleaned off the attila stickiness. I'd love to see these engine enhancements backported.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Beamed posted:

The peripheries of the WRE are ripe for sacking, but obviously they're still able to retaliate at first. The usual phases are sack weak WRE cities, keeping moving so their armies can't group up on you, then as the Collapse begins (usually the first climate change event), begin burning your way to where you want to settle.

I know DEI is back in its Crappy cycle, any other big overhauls for it or Attila goons recommend right now?

i thought DEI's newest patch was pretty good, big improvement on when I last played it.

Anyway I'll throw out a rec for Thrones. The game is good now! Really! The latest patch actually fixed it! I don't think I'd gone past turn 50 before but since Steel/Statecraft came out I've finished like three campaigns, it's crazy

e; to elaborate a tiny bit, this is now the first TW I've played since Shogun where the campaign layer actually feels fairly well balanced and not a huge hassle keeping me from battles

Frog Act posted:

For some reason the Asturias campaign looks like it would be really fun but the start is absolutely abysmal, next to desolate areas, separated by mountains, and all your cities are at between -6 and -20 public order a turn. it seems insane that they are labeled "easy". There's like twelve new systems stacked on top of the old ones that really aren't that intuitive, I just got kinda frustrated trying to figure out how to even do anything with such a poor starting position.

Maybe I'll try the Saxons in Europe in the regular Grand Campaign to get a feel for the systems. I've said it before, Attila should be my favorite Total War game but every time I try it I end up borderline mad about some inscrutable thing that tanks my public order / fertility / cleanliness / whatever and quit it, so I suppose I should start small.

there's like one random guy on the workshop that made a bunch of (very vanilla friendly) small mods for Charlemagne that I'd recommend subscribing to. In terms of starts, I had a similar experience with Asturias when I first started. Mercia is a solid intro instead imo

Fuligin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 13, 2019

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Hentai Jihadist posted:

Went back to Throb for a bit.

I think it's really noticeable that CA doesn't play their own games. Getting rid of ambush stance is just bizzare. They apparently had metrics showing a very small percentage of battles were ambushes but that misses the point.
The main reason you ambush is to catch the AI in a position where they aren't going to just be out of range.
Modern TW AI just refuses to fight you in a balanced fight otherwise. Anyone who has played Warham will have run into this problem then be told to use ambush stance as its the only reliable way to catch the AI.

Also every throb game I play ends with me either getting bored since you have basically the same army comp at the start as at the end or I quit when some rando army appears and I'm in for 15 turns of chasing down a stack as it caps all my minors unopposed, with no way to tell which direction they'll go since there are no obstacles to them.

Throb is like the only total war in which ive never had this problem, if anything the ai seems too eager to engage with bad odds

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Plan Z posted:

The people who still insist that Attila runs "fine" unreasonably get my blood boiling.

They patched thrones so it runs as silky as shogun now, and i really wish they'd backport those fixes so i could actually bring myself to play through an attila campaign. But at least thrones is good now, makes me hopeful they'l look at fixing up 3K's shoddy battles post release

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

listened to my main man rob zacny talking about 3K on the waypoint podcast and it's getting me pretty hype

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Josef bugman posted:

This sounds like the sort of game I will enjoy as it gives me a bit more control over armies than Paradox games and the interactivity also seems quite high.

Would I be wrong in thinking that this is a bit like if you rammed paradox into Total war? Because my brother is thinking of getting me the game for my birthday, and the last time I got one of these it was Rome 2 which was not fun.

that's the pitch at least

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

every tw's battle ai is garbage, it's like their thing. Game is good though

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Ragingsheep posted:

The best way to stop Yuan Shao is to play as Gongsun Zan and kill him before all the vassalisation shanagains start.

Also you get some dope horse archers

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

trebuchets are absurdly accurate at the moment, i am definitely looking forward to that being nerfed

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

This game loving owns. Also it should probably have its own thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Dramicus posted:

Didn't China have huger industrial centers and mining complexes at this time though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but China is supposed to dwarf everything else in scale (to be fair it still does). The Celts had widespread usage of chain mail (which inspired the Romans when they encountered it) and the Hellenic states were generally employing metal armor in large numbers as well. It's really only the least "civilized" peoples of the time who lacked the capacity to do it in Europe (ie: Germans).

The most logical answer has been posted though, it's just too hard to suddenly equip millions of men overnight. Under the Han the entire nation was providing for the standing army, during the warlord period, everything gets cut up and regions start fending for themselves.

the german tribes used armor, not sure why people itt are saying otherwise. i mean, I'm being a pedant, but come on, share the armor love with my german bros

e; maybe it's cause in gladiator they are shown as literally being neolithic savages lol