Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
Rome 2 would be amazing. I feel that the total war games really shine when it comes to melee combat, I really like a lot of the features and improvements that came with fall of the samurai but I preferred the unit variety in Shogun 2.

High-res war elephants is all I need.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
Do you think there will be a lot of unit variety in Rome 2? I was just thinking because the melee animations are a lot more complex now and you'd have to make animations for every unit type to fight every other unit type.

In Rome 1 the animations were so simple I think they used more or less the same ones over and over and it wasn't too bad. But watching swordmen/axemen/and spearmen all poking at each other in the same way would be quite jarring.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

canuckanese posted:

I find I take way more casualties when I auto-resolve, unless my troops significantly outnumber or are way more experienced than the enemy.

If you are attacking a castle it's best to autoresolve I find. Otherwise fight it manually.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011

Alchenar posted:

I auto resolve boring battles and fight the ones that I think will be interesting.

This, this is the way to play. If you think it will be fun then play it, don't suffer through boring battles.

Laterbase
May 18, 2011
I don't think gunpowder suits the genre very well. I wouldn't buy another gunpowder total war, you get no unit variety just better and worse men with guns. FoTS gets around this a bit by keeping a fair number of melee only units, but compared to rome or medieval or even vannila S2 you don't really see much variety in the battles. Just lines of dreary clones shooting each other or alternatively cannons causing mass routing before the line infantry get into range.
I know next to nothing about the american civil war but I assume it was 99% line infantry, cannons and sabre cavalry.