Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
I'd love a Rome 2. I can't remember how many times I played the Scythian campaign trying to prevent my cities from bloating and rioting due to squalor, before I finally hit on the tactic of a migration into Pontus as soon as you build a boat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Asehujiko posted:

I'm personally wondering about how far they're taking that unit customization idea. If possible I would equip everybody, everywhere with Pilums(Pila? latin is a bit rusty) if they're anywhere near as good as they were in the previous game.

No, it'd have to be the limey heads the Britons had. Those things just melted enemies away.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

I bought Empire in the recent sale, but I'm having trouble getting through the Road to Independence campaign because the enemy treats all the battles as if they were just walks across the countryside, rather than actually, you know, attacking. Sometimes they walk across in front of my, sometimes they just run past me. Is the AI always this broken or is it just the newbie campaign?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Is it just me or are the soldiers moving a bit fast? I realize it's pre-alpha, but they're scrambling up ropes and debris like monkeys.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Tomn posted:

Incidentally, judging from the official wiki, there's going to be a total of eight playable factions assuming nothing changes between now and release. Any takers on what the factions are going to be? Rome and Carthage are confirmed, Gaul and Greece seem to be shoo-ins. The Seleucids and and Egypt similarly seem likely - so which of the remaining nations are most likely to fit the final bill? Germania and Parthia?

I'm hoping that they're just referring to playable factions, and that there will be more factions (that modders will hopefully crack open). Personally my favourite faction from Rome 1 was the Scythians, so I'm hoping they make it in. But if it really is just eight factions across the board, I'd guess that Gaul, Greece, Seleucids/Egypt (one of the two), Scythia, Parthia, and Germania make up the remainder. Scythia makes sense from two points of view: firstly, it's a unique and interesting playstyle, and secondly, it fills up the north-eastern corner of the map, which would otherwise be poor-as-dirt rebel provinces that no-one would bother with.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

I found all of the factions very same-ish, even the Ikko-Ikki. Absorb large enemy siege, counterattack undefended castle, absorb large enemy siege, counterattack undefended castle...until you get a couple of large, good quality stacks and roll over everything.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I reinstalled SH2 because I figured I've got the Ikko Ikki pack lying around but never got around playing them.

poo poo is hard! Everybody hates you, you're smack in the middle and holding onto what you captured takes time. Anyone here got any ideas on how to start out properly with the Ikko?

Build the temples for great garrison units, use the bowyer upgrade to get deadly bow monks and the smithy for better warrior monks (don't forget their ability!), and gooooooooooooo.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

So I should turtle for a while first?

No, expand at a leisurely pace. You don't need bow monks straight away, just develop into them naturally; naginata warrior monks are pretty necessary, but easy to get. Just make sure that your border provinces are well-fortified and garrisoned (and don't forget that a level two monastery gives you two free warrior monk garrison units on top of castle garrisons, those help a lot). Because the AI will be fielding full stacks in no time while you're still fielding half a stack, your basic strategy should be to destroy enemy stacks in defensive sieges, then go and take their undefended province. Rinse and repeat. And again, don't forget the warrior monk special ability.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Numidia (hohoho) had Roman-style legionaries as well, I think.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

I hope that Scythia is one of the remaining playable factions :ohdear:

It's a pretty unique playstyle in a pretty unique part of the map, so I think it would be a good addition. In the original Rome the only real way to play them was to pack up every city but your capital and gamble everything on a quick invasion of Turkey.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

In actual fact Shogun 2 is a pretty crappy representation. There were an awful lot more guns knocking around.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I heard that Rome I has trouble with big cities eventually getting restive and revolting no matter what you do. Is this true? And if it is, are there any good fix mods?

Yeah, it makes playing some barbarian factions (Scythians especially) a pain in the arse, but civilized factions should be able to finish the game before it becomes a problem.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Ofaloaf posted:

I once saw the AI Mongols bug out during a siege of Antioch so that they never assaulted the walls at all, but stood just within firing range of the towers while those piddly rocket launchers fruitlessly tried to knock down a patch of the city walls. Best part is that something like a third or quarter of the Mongol army destroyed during that failed assault, since they took forever to move from whereever they started out and gave enough time for the gunpowder event to fire and for cannon towers to be built in Antioch.

Cannon towers were the best thing.

That's how siege AI works it M2. First they use ALL their siege weapon ammo, no matter how lovely and useless, and then they attack.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

I thought that the Ikko were pretty easy - garrison warrior monks from temples mean that you should never lose a province, the warrior monks' special ability is good, and the starting province bonuses fit perfectly. My game went through a fairly reliable "absorb one huge stack in defensive siege, advance one province, absorb huge stack in defensive siege, advance one province" routine until I reached around 10 provinces, when I was powerful enough to do whatever I wanted. All I used monks for was to convert my captured provinces.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

The prologue.

It really does look as if the land is floating in the sky.

Morton Salt Grrl fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Aug 1, 2013

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Tomn posted:

This is a pretty interesting video, but I couldn't help but wince repeatedly during the battle. "You're running the general away from peasants, why are you running the general away from peasants? Look, you've accidentally selected a hastatii while charging your skirmishers forward! You're running them back and forth across the map and wearing them out! Don't let your guys just stand there and watch the fight, charge home goddamnit it! Gaaaah"

Edit: Also, wow, I'm the only one who went with the Averni? I wanna see Gauls in Rome, damnit!

The guy was probably trying to make it look more tactical than it actually is, when all much of the battle really needed was a good control-A and double click.

From the tutorial I'm a little bit afraid that it's going to be a Shogun 2-style "It's turn 10 and everyone has a full stack" deal. I don't mind full-stack battles, but there needs to be variety.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Those questions are mostly crap, though #6 and #9 concern me too. As far as I can tell, the fortification stance simply gives something along the lines of a +2 defence bonus, and the camp is just for looks. A small-scale siege battle would be much more interesting. The large amounts of impassable terrain are putting me off too.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Is there any way to go back to previous turns on legendary difficulty in Shogun 2?

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

SHISHKABOB posted:

Yeah, save every turn.

You can't on Legendary, the game does it for you.

Koramei posted:

What? That's like the entire point of it, dude. If you don't want your saves wiped, just do VH with Battle Realism on, it's the same thing.

I'm just annoyed that my legendary Ikko campaign was ruined because an agent failed to detect a full stack ambush that wasn't even in any trees on the campaign map. It was going so well until then :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

FRESH BLOOD

Finally managed to complete an Ikko Ikki campaign on legendary, and sooner than I expected as well - I didn't have time to build the lovely neat all-monk armies I wanted.