Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

I sort of liked Empire, if only for the enlightenment period and naval warfare, but I was really disappointed in the animations. Troops moving around/fighting/charging felt really floaty, as if they were walking on ice, and every time I saw my cavalry charge a formation instead of a meaty crunch they just slid the enemy infantry around. Coming from medieval 2, that felt really disappointing; in MTW 2 the units felt like they had mass and combat felt impactful but in the ETW engine it just felt like massless floaty polygons that just played preplanned animations. Shogun 2 didn't improve the engine much either, in that respect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'll be honest, I'd prefer Rome 2 over another gunpower-era game. Hell, a new Rome with the moddibility of RTW and the improvements from the later games would probably get me fired from all the sickies I'd be pulling.

Going back to old-school Rome timeline would be amazing, especially if they managed to incorporate naval battles as well (Hell yeah, bi/tri/quinque-remes, galleys and other ships duking it out). I'd love it if it were possible to start prior to Alexander conquests, as I liked played Greece but fighting against a billion Macedonia clones in Asia Minor/Palestine/Egypt got a bit repetitive after a while. Also, it would be sweet to be able to play as old school Egypt/Persia/early Romans.

Or at the very least make Rome 2 and do what I said as a 'rise of the samurai'-style expansion.

Nanako the Narc
Sep 6, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

So if it WAS Rome Total War 2, would you guys rather have a campaign where you play a selection of senatorial families with a handful of regions in your control or have a nice big detailed semi united Rome at your control when you begin?

I mean, I'd love it either way if the Senate were still dicks with their own army and Rome being an Independent city state you can take when your powerful.

I also hope the Celts get a better representation too. For some insane reason CA really likes half assing Celts and the British/English/Scottish in their games despite being a British studio?

Also, do we want the war dogs back? (answer is sure, why not...).

Thing is I know that they focus on Rome a lot because it's the titular faction, but a lot of the stuff that they implemented in terms of the family/senate would be just as applicable to other factions. For example, most of the successor states from Alexander's empire had just as much politicking as the senate did, and all the Western tribal factions were just as, if not more, decentralised as the Roman families were; having Rome as a single faction makes perfect sense as we can already play as 'Gaul', 'Britain' or 'Spain'. I'd much rather start as a young Rome (from, say, 400BC), the single city, expand outwards into the Italian peninsula and become a huge empire than deal with the annoying factional fighting that happened a lot in R:TW. The only thing I really liked about the families was the different faction colours (Julii and Scipii looked pretty sweet), and some unique units later on down the line.

Oh and conquering most of France/Spain/Germany while the other houses struggled to get a toe-hold on Greece/lost their Sicilian holdings was irritating as hell.

Also armies composed entirely of war dogs/canine cruise missiles were hilarious and should definitely come back.