Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
War dogs ought to come back just because sending a full stack of them against a pack of peasant rebels will always be a great and terrifying sight to behold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Holy poo poo, are Knights supposed to be human cannonballs in Stainless Steel 6.4? I've had spear infantry in guard mode, with shields and spears braced and everything, and a head-on charge still kills half of their unit despite them sitting in the ideal position for taking on a heavy cavalry assault.

Thankfully, bogging them down in more spears still works, but are charges supposed to be this powerful?

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Jul 24, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Spakstik posted:

Just a heads up, guard mode doesn't affect your units' combat ability, it just keeps them in one place so they won't pursue whatever unit they're attacking.

What faction are you playing as? Sometimes you can counter heavy cavalry with ranged mounted units, particularly spear-throwing ranged mounted units. Send them out at the enemy's flank right at the start of the battle and use them to plink away at their cavalry, and hopefully by the time they reach you they'll be decimated.

Going for an Italian Republic with Venice. I expected better from Italian militia since they were drat good infantry to base your army on in vanilla.

I could've sworn Guard Mode in M2TW made it so that your units would maintain a tighter formation and shield wall, which seemed would be better at resisting incoming charges.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Jul 24, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh yeah, I'm not expecting my spear militia to hard counter knights; I just got really surprised when the cavalry rolled over what's ostensibly the ideal counter to them in early game.

It's a really alarming sight to see your unit counter go from 101 to 50~ in a few seconds, and the red color and flashing numbers make it look like your guys are about to start a chain rout because the big, mean nobles have come out to play :shobon:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Nah, schiltrom is the porcupine formation. On that note, I'd imagine planting mercenary spearmen in schiltrom formation ahead of your line would be an excellent way to distract and disrupt enemy melee while your ranged units pick them apart.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
You could always use the "autowin" cheat. gently caress it man, the AI gets mad bonuses anyway, time to get even.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CA's went and released a proper modding interface for Shogun 2 & DLC, and tied it to Steam Workshop:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/09/28/total-er-war-shogun-2-now-on-steam-workshop/

Great news. Total War modders often get a bad rep, but the good ones usually make some outstanding stuff. Can't wait 'til they get some good overhauls in.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Just a heads-up: the last Early Era game I played with Stainless Steel ended up with a corrupted save game around the Timurid invasion. It wasn't the first time that a campaign was stopped dead because of that, so if you're playing to see the tech tree develop and stuff, it's going to be a gamble whether your savegame eventually shits itself and fails to complete the next turn.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

I know you probably didn't mean to say it this way, but drat does it sound really offensive.

Anyway, for the Islamic factions, you get the Moors, the Turks, and the Egyptians (Fatimids). The important thing to consider is how you define "best":

The Moors get to take on Spain and Portugal, but fortunately they're both on the same front. The bad news is that Sicily tends to be real aggressive, and will eventually open up a second front in North Africa if you can't secure Iberia fast enough or keep their navy down.

The Turks have Byzantium to the west and Egypt to the south. Since you're both fellow Muslims, you might be able to secure an alliance with them, which means you can focus on renaming Constantinople. If not, you'll be in a tough spot since the terrain will make getting reinforcements to either front difficult.

The biggest things to consider as the Turks is that your position leaves you to the mercy of BOTH the Mongols and the Timurids. I'd say the Turks are probably the most difficult faction to play in the game because of this.

Egypt starts off in its own corner of the world, but will definitely be the number one crusade target since it's right beside Jerusalem. Like with the Moors, Sicily can eventually become a threat if it chooses to go right from Tripoli; be assured however that Crusaders will take both land and sea to get at you once you own the Holy Land.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mans posted:

EB made units that could only be recruited in the baltics and modern day Poland. You know, places where no one goes to. And they have huge descriptions. EB's love for detail is just addicting and inspiring, i wish they could get access to the game engine and a contract to make a full blown game. It would be super spergy and sexy.

The last time someone sperged out while developing a game, it led to the death of said game project and apparently the complete mental breakdown of modder-turned-developer. This was Ubik, the project was a long-delayed commercialized version of Magna Mundi, a mod for Paradox Interactive's Europa Universalis III which he developed, and MM's death shortly preceded the announcement of Europa Universalis IV.

The rant he gave after the fact accused Paradox of "fear....FEAR".

Really, sperging out successfully seems to only be the territory of flight sims and modders these days.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

SkySteak posted:

The best bit about Rome Total War was the pre battle speech by your General (if you were Roman). Sometimes, due to various reasons, said speech would be a hilariously incoherent mess.

There's a M2TW one which stands out to me: at the end of your general's speech, he finds a snake in his boot and freaks the gently caress out. That's funny already, but the way the game is coded, his men cheer afterwards automatically.

vvv: FUCKIN' HATS MAN, YEAH

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 29, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ad Majorem Dei Gloriam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/223180/

It's a DLC pack that unlocks the Otomo clan for vanilla Shogun 2, and adds a bunch of gunpowder themed units (Portuguese mercenaries!) and Christian buildings.

On a personal note, since I was educated at a Jesuit college, I burst out laughing once I realized that the new building chain finishes with one.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 21, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Sober posted:

I'd assume someone would've already figured out how to reverse those by taking his mod files and just replacing the Star Wars "artwork" out of it? (as minimal as it sounds).

It would probably lead to another Gategate, that crazy modder drama that happened due to some Skyrim modder deciding to poo poo up his mod with ugly-rear end bloat features then bitching about how a goon made a modmod that removed them. For more details, see the Awful Game Mods thread.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
So Rome starts much smaller this time, but still has the three family system in place? Does that mean each family gets a province or two, or you own all of them but you choose which family that leads, Crusader Kings style?

Man, this is going to be so cool. Individualized tech trees and rosters, plus expanding the family mechanic might make the game even more replayable than it already is.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, if the Senate being a seperate entity in this game was a thing, I'm pretty sure they'd mention it since those purple-wearing politicians were a big thorn in your side in RTW1.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I am loving psyched. If CA wanted to integrate "hero" units in their combat engine, there is no better universe to do it in than Warhammer (I'm guessing Fantasy) because hero units there are absolute gamechangers. Here's our pike and shot game, boys and girls!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Man Whore posted:

I wish I knew more about Warhammer fantasy other than the imperial guard are still the best faction.

Well let me grant your wish by saying that the Imperial Guard have nothing to do with Warhammer Fantasy because they're part of Warhammer 40K, which is in the future with lasers and aliens and poo poo.

The nearest equivalent they have is the Empire, which is basically 16th-century Holy Roman Empire except much more united because they are constantly fighting demonic Viking barbarians. Also, they have tanks than run on steam.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Dec 7, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Empire pissed me off with how busted it was at release, but I love the time period and am willing to give it a second chance after all this time. Were the patches good enough to make it a fun game and/or are there any mods that balance both battle and campaign modes so that the AI poses an actual threat?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I love the Orks in 40K because in a galaxy that defined "grimdark", they're the only ones in on the joke. Ironically, I don't like Fantasy's Orcs because they don't have that zaniness that drew me to their future cousins.

Instead, most of the madcap science that characterized Orks is done by the Skaven. Fluff time: Warpstone is a mineral that channels directly into the power of the Chaos gods. Thus, it is magical, valuable, and corrupts those who use it. The Skaven use it like fantasy uranium, and blow poo poo up with it.

Combat with Skaven tech is basically a dice roll, and while it'd be funny as hell to play Skaven in Total War with the worst morale in the game and crazy exploding poo poo, I can understand why it might not be in.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

Sounds like the regular nonexistent Total War diplomacy to me!

Hah, sure, why the gently caress not? I'm not being sarcastic here: it's definitely not to the degree of 40k's "shoot everything" state of being, but with how much fighting happens in Fantasy, "Total War" actually fits the game.

vvv: With the variety of factions in Fantasy, I think it would make sense factions of a certain alignment to have unique diplomacy mechanics. I could see Orcs "forging alliances" by brutally murdering the poo poo out of the opposing clan leader in a battle or duel, and taking over the survivors by virtue of being the biggest badass. Same thing with Chaos warbands and whatnot.

All war, all the time definitely is something that's undesirable, but a universe as violent as Warhammer Fantasy could definitely play around with diplomacy mechanics.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 11, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Lemon Curdistan posted:

They really aren't. The wood elves are insane xenophobic mutants in a symbiotic relationship with their magic psychic forest, the high elves are murderous dicks who think every other race is barely better than an animal and will happily wipe out entire human settlements because some child took a piss on a rock that used to be part of an abandoned high elf city. The dark elves are boring Always Chaotic Evil but used to be much more interesting as they're basically fantasy Industrial Revolution capitalists.

Also, the wood elves are hinted to be manipulating the Arthurian-France kingdom as a meat shield through the "Lady of the Lake", who is the central figure of the kingdom's religion.

Even then, whenever the wood elves hold a wild hunt, they murder everyone in their way. This includes the Bretonnians despite their "allied" status, so it's a really weird relationship. Definitely one of those alliance blocs that could use a personalized touch.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Dec 12, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
From the wording about Carthage's political parties, I'm now confident that it and Rome's family system are basically "background perk" choices for your faction. Hopefully they also mean that each family/party not only give you different bonuses, but also different objectives and penalties for failure/power checking.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For anyone who played Empire with Darthmod: are naval battles supposed to be boring shitshows? I suppose I get basic naval combat theory: line your fleet up and concentrate your fire; but your ships have this dumb tendency to sail right into the enemy if you right-click-attack on them, even if they're in cannon range. Thus, I can't focus fire without manual control and broadsides, and microing each ship into position is really slow and doesn't really have much of a payoff compared to just using the biggest ships and zerging the enemy with them.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I didn't know about the "primary targeting" shortcut; that'll be very useful. Thanks to both of you!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
In a time period where trade managed to fuel an empire spanning three continents, it's astounding how bad the AI is at keeping their ports open in Empire. Having a monopoly on ivory isn't amounting to much if every trade partner I have can't bother to protect their ports; hell, I get more money by not trading with certain nations since their fleets prioritize blockading the other guy instead of clearing their own harbours.

EDIT: Game loving crashed again during an important fight. drat shame, I love the time period but this isn't a good way to experience it. Guess I'll just have to wait for EU4 at this rate.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Dec 17, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Still in the mood to watch virtual people stand in lines and shoot each other, but I'm still burned out on FoTS. Shogunate posted some impressions on the Otomo DLC's Tercos and Donderbuss cavalry, but I'm interested in seeing if Otomo Matchlock Samurai can function as "line infantry". I'd use Tercos, but seeing how CA half-assed their implementation is kind of a bummer.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Shogunate posted:

Those where just multiplayer impressions, in single player they're great! Hell anything is great in single player with the AI throwing it's troops straight into a yari spear wall. And Otomo Matchlock Samurai are just like every other clan "upgraded" unit, having slightly better stats than their regular counterparts. If you are going to do the line infantry aproach go with the Tercos.

Ah, the way the DLC page worded it, it sounded like Otomo Matchlock Samurai were good enough at both shooting and stabbing that you were meant to fire off a few volleys and then counter-charge with them. Thanks for the heads-up, I was about to sink $5 into the game again but I think I'll consider an alternative instead.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Dec 18, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
CA's already stated that they intend to lessen the amount of battles in favour of making them bigger and grander in both scale and impact, and I wonder if they're going to do the same for provincial management. It was weird seeing the entirety of France represented as one "province" in Empire/Napoleon, but I liked how you unlocked "nodes" in the form of developed towns as your population grew. I think it would've worked better had the ideal method of taking provinces wasn't beelining immediately to the capital and taking it, but giving towns some strategic value in the form of a zone of control and actual defensive structures.

The current info we have suggests otherwise, but I thought it was a nice way of streamlining provincial management while retaining the same level of control you had in previous games.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alchenar posted:

e: this is a post I made much earlier in the thread:

That sounds pretty much like a blend of a character-driven Paradox game (CK2 or EU:Rome) and Total War. Which means it'll probably never happen in our lifetimes, or if it does, it'll be a glorious trainwreck because it's too good to be true. :sigh:

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Well really it's just looking at what the King Arthur RTS did as a spin on the Total War formula and then spinning it back into Total War.

Yeah, now that you brought it up, I did like how KA1 and 2 cut down on the steamrolling that tends to crop at the endgame of every Total War game by escalating enemy power levels. Granted, it's easy to do that in KA thanks to its fantasy setting, but it made every battle from start to finish have a semblance of challenge to whether due to making every loss you have count since you have so few people, or making your enemies literal monsters that you have to put some work into killing.

It didn't work out perfectly since both games were janky as gently caress and could be broken in half if you chose to game certain mechanics like magic, but it wasn't like in Total War where you probably ended up auto-resolving most battles except ones with actual challenge in them come endgame.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Someguy posted:

Why would anyone want this series to become more like Starcraft? I specifically enjoy the real time combat in these games because it's not the simplistic 'who can click the button faster check my apm bro' Starcraft stuff. I like units that suffer from moral, flank weakness, terrain bonus/disadvantages and the actual strategy that is required to succeed. I want battles to be more than right clicking on your unit and left clicking on the enemy.

It's nice to see how even a genre as "intellectual" as strategy games has its own version of "casual vs hardcore". :rolleyes:

I can see why people would prefer the degree of control you get in Starcraft because units move snappily in that game. Good feedback from your interaction with a game is a good thing, and being able to take advantage of how fast you can move and react to changing battlefield conditions is even more so.

SC may not have distinct bonuses for flanking or morale mechanics, but saying that it has less "strategy" than Total War is comparing apples and oranges at best. Fine motor control may not be as big as a requirement for Total War games, but having your units respond to your orders promptly makes the difference between "strategy" and "watching your units fumble into each other and get murdered". Otherwise, units that require actual positioning and movement like skirmishers or matchlocks become worthless in comparison to blobs of units like S2's Katana Samurai/Cavalry that, ironically, work best through attack-move.

Hell, vanilla Shogun 2 has way faster battles than older games in the series due to units routing earlier and melees being way more lethal, and being quick on your feet is even more vital if you want to win.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
My support for faster unit reaction times stems mainly from pessimism, honestly. CA may have gotten their groove back thanks to Shogun 2 and its expansions, but it's not all perfect. The last time they tried to change how the games usually worked resulted in the mess that was Empire, and it could potentially happen in Rome 2 because they're changing not only the scale of battles, but also how the very units themselves work.

I'm not advocating being able to perfectly micro-dance your unit out of arrow fire, but I would like to be able to rely on skirmishers falling back in time or gunlines firing off that crucial barrage right before a charge hits even if not everyone's good to go. If that's not possible, and judging from how CA does struggle with finer aspects of their games it might not be yet, then I suppose faster unit reaction would work as a decent bandaid to that problem.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Dec 20, 2012

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

MadJackMcJack posted:

Mind you, I am using Radious mod, so maybe he changed stuff around.

This is probably true; Radious intentionally changed stats so that melees last much longer than they do in vanilla. It's a general trend amongst modders for TW games, actually. Battles can become a grind, but it does make combat more of a spectacle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Then the answer is don't bother trying to kill them outright(Especially since Piety also counts for defence against Assassins/inquisitions-unless that changed). Buy a lot of priests, have them in the same region as the Heretic to counter his preaching. The Inquisitors will/should count too as they mod religion where they walk too, as of course, do Churches in the same province. They should get some Piety off this counter=preaching and eventually be able to face the Heretics on even terms. Religious traits by default are based on how much the religion shifts towards or away from your own.

I sound authoritave but I'm really not: let me know how it goes.

This is likely to backfire: unless you have enough priests & churches to get a positive gain on the region's religion total, your priests are in risk of gaining negative piety because they're not making a dent in the heresy. Even then, if they get a single trait that adds to Unorthodoxy (hidden stat apart from trait descriptions; very likely as one of its conditions is being in a region with a heretic), consider them ticking time bombs. Outside of Cardinals which are immune to turning, even a priest with maxed piety has a chance of going heretic as long as he has an Unorthodoxy trait. It's hosed.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I remember correctly, you also access them purely with the Sake Den line of buildings, compared to Temple + Weapon Dojo for the specific type of monks you need. I guess Radious intended them to be a "got the money but not the infrastructure" type of units; mercenaries, in short.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

FOTS question. Finally got a handle on the economy. Playing as the Tosa, and I've united the island they start on. I've started pushing into Honshu. However, clan after clan is flipping to the Shogun. The Satsuma somehow hosed up and are barely holding on to a single province on their island. So basically I'm the only pro emperor clan left with more than two provinces. Am I screwed? Can I flip them back somehow?

As far as I know, the only thing you can do to actively increase the number of pro-Imperial clans is making vassals out of already-conquered, pro-Imperial clans. Other than that, since you're Tosa, you can focus on seapower and take control of the waterways since you have a natural chokepoint on that small island connecting you to Honshu. Then you can marshal your land forces to take the western island while blocking off reinforcements from Honshu by parking a fleet on the connection between them. Try and take advantage of the situation: you're basically playing a Republic game except you retain your agents and don't have to do all that political conversion to your affiliation again!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Samopsa posted:

No, SEGA did not acquire the 40k license, it went back to Games Workshop. However, Relic has good contacts with GW, so it's entirely possible they can regain the license, yes. It would be loving awesome. 40k really fits the Total War style battles well: ranged is not overpowering, melee is always viable, the basic troops are big and relatively weak units, and every side has a core of extremely powerful units in low supply. It's just like shogun 2 but with lasers and spacemens!

I can see it working with Epic 40K, but not plain 40K since that heavily involves small-squad tactics that Relic is better at than CA since RTS is their wheelhouse. Though as much as I would enjoy watching 40K in a truly epic setting, I think CA would do better in Warhammer Fantasy first since they can work on having multiple weapon/soldier types in a single unit and "hero units" in that setting without having it muddled by 40K's more complicated mechanics like vehicles and infantry taking proper cover.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Man, I hope my rig can handle this game. Shogun 2 works pretty well, but I have to run it in Medium-Low and in particularly intense battles it has a tendency to crash unless I run it in slo-mo, since I'm guessing all the battle sounds are too much to handle.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Anyone ever make use of schiltroms in M2? It seems like there's never a point, as 90% of my battles are fought with an enveloping line anyway.

If I have a lot of missile troops, I like to throw cheap schiltrom units ahead of the line, Forlorn Hope style, so they can tie up advancing enemies and hopefully manage to fool enemy cavalry into charging them. Meanwhile, I get to shoot at the enemy the entire time, and maybe even surround the enemy if the AI decides to focus on the sacrificial unit.

They're also pretty good for placing right behind the gates/gap in a siege, while you set up a real defensive line with crossbows or what have you on the surrounding streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I want it so that when war dog units get their armour or weapons upgraded, the dogs get the upgrades, not the handlers. Yes, I want dogs wearing chainmail and claw gauntlets.

And berserkers to become even more swole when they get armour upgrades.