Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
It's theoretically possible to simply make every unit have a general. You get the problem of every unit card being someone's face, though. I think there's a maximum unit size for general units as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
It's been a while, but the pace of battles is very different; victory comes less from murdering your way through the enemy lines, but from tiring them out until you can surround them or hit them in a vulnerable spot. Maintaining reserves is much more important, as it allows you to have fresh troops to come in once theirs are exhausted.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Gringo Heisenberg posted:

I missed the Shogun 2 super cheap sale, any chance it'll be less than 10 bux again this summer? And how does it compare to RTW? I really, really, really love Rome and can play it endlessly (vanilla). I tried the Shogun 2 demo and I got obliterated over and over again on the one battle.

I think it's 75% off on Amazon now; it's Steamworks, so it doesn't really matter where you buy it.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Azran posted:

It seems I can't run mods in my Steam-bought Medieval 2? :raise: I'm using the Medieval 2 Kingdoms launcher, but be it LTC or Stainless Steel, it crashes as soon as I boot it up. Any ideas? (Windows 7)

Try just the normal Medieval 2 launcher, not Kingdoms. I think that from the splash menu you can choose any mod or campaign.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

ZearothK posted:

Is it worth reading an English translation of the Romance of the Three Kingdoms? If so, what would be the best one?

Robert Moss' seems to be the best translation, but it can still be quite a task. Everyone has at last two names, and the one they use most is not the one you know from Dynasty Warriors - he's Kongming or Master Sleeping Dragon, not Zhuge Liang; Zhao Yun is usually Zhao Zilong; and the three brothers are often (but not always) called Xuande, Yunchang, and Yide, instead of Liu Bei, Guan Yu (or Lord Guan), and Zhang Fei. I enjoyed reading it (though it was the abridged version), but do keep a cheat sheet handy.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Despera posted:

"Shamefur dispray" better be in three kingdoms

It wasn't in Shogun, either. The announcer said the loving Ls, he over-enunciated them, even.

GOSH I WONDER WHY PEOPLE LIKE YOU STILL THINK IT'S CHING CHONG SHAMEFUR DISPRAY

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The guy clearly has a Japanese accent, and Japanese people have a hard time distinguishing English L and R sounds.

Judging from this thread, they're not the only ones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
Apparently the HBO Rome series really did plan to do a lot with different British accents mapping onto different Roman social classes, but toned it down because, you know, all that effort would be wasted on us.

Also, my favorite medieval 2 mod was one that replaced voice files with the files from the appropriate localization-- so the French now used the files from the French-language version, and so forth.