Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I have multiple saves where my main asskicking army is actually made up of mainly ashigaru with maybe two units of katana samurai and one unit of light cav to chase down units.

It really works if you have a general with that last stand type ability, I forget the name of it. The one where the unit stays in place, the circle that effects his units goes out and his bodyguard form a square around him?

Then all you have to do is form a line of spearmen in spear wall formation, put the archers behind and charge the katana samurai up one side. They should cut their way up the line rather quickly.

I've used this strategy to take out similar sized armies of samurai. Overpowered general skills are overpowered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I didn't like it at first, but once you get the hang of it, its decently entertaining. Seems to run more sluggishly than shogun does on my PC though.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I like using them to soften up the enemies archers and kill routing units. If I have a couple of good archer units, they'll ensure that any unit running away isn't coming back with anywhere close to the numbers they should have. If you can spare a unit to guard them, you can flank with them so shooting into the melee won't screw your own troops so badly.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tommofork posted:

Thanks for the Shogun 2 archer help. I came to the conclusion last night that I'm terrible at the battle side of Shogun 2 after ashigaru armies go out of fashion and I'm saved by my campaign map management, abuse of ninja and autoresolve. Sabotage their reinforcements, hit them with multiple stacks, click win button. :getin: When I'm in control, my armies take pretty heavy casualties.

Also Fall of the Samurai has the ugliest unit pictures. I miss colours other than brown.

If you want a pretty easy tactic that lasts me entire games, get a unit of katana samurai, a general that can use stand and fight, a bunch of ashigaru spearmen and bowmen. You use the spearmen to form your line, the bowmen behind them will soften up any enemies and use the katana samurai to cut across the line from the far right/left.

What should happen in a normal battle is that your guys should hold hold the line and any unit that isn't fighting once the katana guys pass them can be used to run back and reinforce further down the line or help the katana guys flank. Its a simple tactic and I took out a full stack of samurai using just ashigaru and two katana samurai with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Jerusalem posted:

In that case, gently caress the Shogun, I'm gonna suggest an alliance with Chosokabe and we can wipe out the Otomo once and for all. :getin:

Basically this is how I run the entire game. Need to remember the mod realm divide once I play it so its not so drat severe. Whoever thought adding an event that's so strong your alliance that's lasted an entire game, 2 marriages, trade going well, gifts flowing towards them would still not be enough to keep them is an idiot.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

shalcar posted:

They murder cavalry with incredible effectiveness, they make fantastic general snipers. That's about it, though.

I've found they also scare the poo poo out of any ashigaru units. Taking castles is also rather easy when you have a unit that can clear a wall for you.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

shalcar posted:

With such limited ammunition and reasonably high upkeep, using them on ashigaru would be a waste considering you could just have a unit of Matchlock Samurai that would do a far better job of ashigaru/samurai murder. The general sniping capacity (or Great Guard/High Value cav) is the only thing they really have going for them.

e: Also the super accurate Fire Bomb Throwers for the same impact.

I think the waste of a unit is more than paid for by the laughs i get by watching as an entire army scatters before they can even hit my matchlock/rocket line. Tactics take a backseat to fun a lot of the time for me. I once had a gimmick army that was entirely ninja's, fire rockets, catapults and matchlock samurai. It never lost a battle for some reason, even against two full stacks.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I ended up stacking foreign veterans to my line infantry army (nothing special, just line infantry and cav to mop up survivors) and its insane how hilariously fast your guys fire when you have a lot of plus reload on them. Other armies can't stand up to it, especially if you run cav behind enemy infantry. They panic and run after two or so volleys that take them out before they can even fire.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Yeah, most of my battles were open field ambushes where I cut down their armies before they knew what was up, then destroyed whatever guard stack they had, then i'd go onto the city. I had about 1 siege for every two open battles. One of my more memorable sieges was getting ninja's up into the gatehouse of one of the bigger forts while my ashigaru sacrifices stormed the front. AI moved all its troops away, I took the gates and towers, used the ninja's the throw bombs at the pitiful troopers they tried to send back. Was a good diversion, those ninja's killed three units worth of enemies.

Is it just me who has never seen a matchlock tower? I swear the AI never uses them and I don't get attacked often enough to build up defences in any place other than my capital.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Not only that, but its actually easier to attack than every other fort, because of how open it is. All I had to do was attack the front with my main force, use ninja's and cav to attack it from behind and my troops will capture their inner fort in no time. Meanwhile my main force is smashing the defenders because the castle is so open flanking is a breeze.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
The scenario map is loaded doesn't exactly mean you're going to be doing the actual scenario.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

VirtualStranger posted:

What benefit do Red Seal ships have over normal trade ships? Do they make more money when they're holding the trade nodes?

Some people say yes, some people say no. Main benefit is same upkeep for better protection, although if you have a nanban trade ship they're obsolete because one of those and a stack of nine trading ships will guarantee you're protected against anything except the black ship.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They could quite literally just put the reinforcement system into medieval two, change nothing else and I would pay good money for it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Grizzwold posted:

I think my favorite thing about MTW2 is that when you upgrade the armor on your units they actually look different in battle. It's the little things like that and the generals' speeches that keep me coming back even though dealing with the other stuff is a hassle.

Yeah, I had a few units of +3 armoured spearmen in every actively fighting army I could just because of how loving awesome they looked.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I would have told him to commit seppuku. A 0 loyalty general is going to betray you sooner than later and he'll take the army he has with him. Send him to fight the enemy with a tiny force and get him killed. Make sure you get him to dismount his horses first so he can't get away and have a unit waiting further back in the battle so when he routs it doesn't end it and let him get away.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

e: ^^^^^ I've never had a general defect in S2 either, I'm not sure how to even kill loyalty enough that they would. I prefer an absent system to the good old fashioned M2 'Traitor to our cause!' headache you used to get because a general with one spear militia decided to challenge your vast empire.

I had a stupidly successful general who, because of his success, got a -3 loyalty trait. He also didn't like that other generals were getting promoted, so he had a -2 for upstart generals. Fucker took half my army with him and formed his own clan in a useless territory that was costing me money.

Two turns later, he was my vassal (after realm divide) and providing me with a profit due to trade. He went on to become an excellent sea raider, taking small islands and little pockets of land all along the coast. It was glorious. Even had a couple joint battles with the man himself charging. I assume because i specialized him in personal combat, he was almost unbeatable because he would rout three or so units by himself.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fine, but can we have an actual challenge without making it boring as gently caress? I'd love it if my vassals with one province didn't immediately send a tiny army against me, because there is no way they can take on anything. They're there to trade and take up land that has lovely soil.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
When i'm warring against similar size clans, it gets tense as all hell, even in the early days of shogun. My ally currently has two full stacks roaming about and I haven't got past four provinces yet, its going to be such a pain to backstab them.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Chomp8645 posted:

That exact animation is in Vanilla. In fact all they did was copy it from vanilla by applying the animation to a rifle instead of a spear.

Vanilla S2 for life.

Except throwing your spear is something I can imagine most soldiers would train to do if they used one. I can't imagine rifle soldiers training to throw their rifles at people, which instantly makes it more badass.

That should be captioned "I forgot to reload" or something.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CharlestheHammer posted:

They were also hard fuckers to kill. Unless you put an army in a city. I think I completely destroyed the huns and Goths while defending in one city. As those fuckers came at me back to back.

In Medieval II had the mongols all charge Baghdad after I took it. Ballista towers are OP, I don't even think I killed the majority of their units, the towers did.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
So long as you build a couple buddist temples in your towns (which you should be, for the monks) that should counter the effects of the Christianity.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Fall back off the walls and into the middle, then rush back to them when they're in range. Or take your own bow kachi.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They cost half as much in upkeep and good tactics make up for the unit being "poor". Later on in realm divide, cost becomes massively important as my economy is always on the line.

I don't usually use more than one unit of cav in my armies because I let the infantry do a lot of the work, light cav are more than good enough for the role I use them in, which is chasing down fleeing infantry and surprise bonking a general.

E: Also scaring the crap out of their infantry when a unit that has given up next to them is suddenly cut to pieces in about a second.

dogstile fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 15, 2013

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Its kinda crappy to use any cav to take on infantry except bow cav to be honest because they all suck at it so much unless the enemy is distracted and even then you'll lose a bunch where you have no right losing them. I just assume cav is more of a cleanup/don't you dare loving come back unit and roll with it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Schiltron in front of the gate also works wonders, and phalanxes are just broken as gently caress in sieges.

Seconding the phalanxe thing. One unit will kill everything, two units will kill everything leisurely. Everything else is there just to try and catch xp.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
They'll hurt your guys but in general they'll hit the back of the enemy line more than the front, so your guys should be ok. That said, if you move them into a flanking position, its much more effective. Bow samurai are obviously better for this due to the likelihood of them getting charged.

E: On cav talk, light cav is definitely worth replacing with bow/katana if you're using a lot of cav and expecting to have to defend a castle. I'm trying out a takeda cav army and its pretty frightening to get sieges early on.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
Just build up you economy massively. Town growth is amazing and late game if you focus on it, it'll really help realm divide not hurt.

Also, if you have a dishonorable daimyo, everyone is more likely to rebel, so kill him off. Or, you could use him to fight and make him take the honorable skills so he gives a buff to everyone instead.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I absolutely love matchlock ashigaru. You only really need one unit of it, but it works really well if you manage to get them on a flank. Even better if you recruit them in a province with accuracy buffs. I recall having some maxed out matchlock troops absolutely decimate anything that came near them, i'd just have keep a unit of ashigaru spears around just to absorb a katana charge, but even then it'll only take two volleys for them to make the unit want to run.

E: Yeah, shimazu are the easiest by far to start with. You get four trading ports come realm divide and an entire island to yourself once you kick everyone off it.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I've found with the TSU you really have to abuse the ninja background to win. Wait until they get close, fire off a volley and order your troops back. The enemy should come forward and hopefully you should have had hidden units on either one or both sides. On battles where you can't do that, a good old charge one side and cut your way up the line should work.

I find that if you survive long enough to get kneel fire, you've won the game anyway. Two line troops in a castle plus garrison troops is enough to ruin most average size armies if you tell them to kneel fire and post them behind the wall instead of on it firing down.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I liked guns, but only because they were so useless early on and it stopped just shy of them being really effective. I remember one game when I was using the arquebus unit and placing it on a hill. As a support unit firing over guys fighting with swords and pikes its really really cool.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Tarezax posted:

Untrue, hand cannoneers were pretty drat effective. Not at the actual shooting bit, but they were best used like even more melee-centric line infantry. Make an army of several units of them, fire off a volley as the enemy closes, then charge in to use their awesome melee stats to break the enemy.

Well that's my point, the guns themselves were still a bit eh. I like how FOTS has done it though, because even my melee armies can benefit from a couple of gun lines and vice verse.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Panzeh posted:

I wouldn't mind seeing unit roles in Napoleon being a lot more gamey and distinct. The addition of 'sword' units in Shogun, for example, is hella gamey, but it makes sense and adds more to the gameplay. I'm probably in the minority, though, because I don't like what people do with TW mods most of the time.

In fact, units armed primarily with swords were also a rarity in the medieval era but you see people roll out the dismounted knights all the time, but it's cool. Let the modders do the sperging.

Skirmishers were OP as hell in napoleon because the enemy AI just didn't know how to take them out. Two experienced units could break a line infantry before they get into position to attack you and I remember using my main army to just hold their line and use my skirmished to sort of shoot their way up the line. They were so drat accurate.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bobtheconqueror posted:

Weren't they like that in Empire, too? I remember going all minutemen tactics once I unlocked riflemen with the one time I finished the campaign in that game.

I actually have no idea, i've always wanted to play empire but every time I have the money someone tells me its crap and I spend more money on world of tanks :blush:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

bobtheconqueror posted:

Riflemen were really good, and used skirmish tactics, but were fewer in number. 25 compared to, like, 60 or 100. The only issue is that rifles were essentially the end-game gun tech, so you don't have access to them for way too long. By the time you get them, you'll have already learned how to use standard muskets and artillery effectively.

Yeah, I only ever used one unit of riflemen ever. The single unit I used fought in spain, france, across italy and into russia when I got there. Once I had that unit I became death. I was trying to limit myself after seeing how overpowered they were, but a single unit is amazing enough as it is.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Frijolero posted:

Well that's what I'm talking about. It'd be cool to see a sheet with kills/deaths from all their battles. As a side note, the little statues on the map in Shogun 2 after major battles are fantastic.

I would also enjoy a little count of how many men have been killed by a unit. What would be cooler is if they had a counter to show you how many people they've had to recruit into it. A grim historical K/D so you can tell which of your units isn't performing and which is.

E: Obviously you'd know which units are your anvil so they wouldn't have a good ratio. But I usually have one or two units of bowmen who kill around 20 people per battle and its useless. I really would like a tool to help me weed out the slackers in my army.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Sydin posted:

The first thing I saw in that video was a man wearing a fedora and a T-shirt at the same time, and I just closed the video there. I reckon I'm not missing much worth nothing.

You're missing the only interviewer who's actually trying ask ask decent questions because you don't like a fashion style. The hat is also a trilby.

:goonsay:

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I usually autoresolve with bigger numbers to be honest. Or bring some artillery. Phalanxes are so overpowered in rome.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm sure he is a nice bloke in real life, but his internet personality is drat obnoxious veering towards slightly sad as he is aging.

I just don't get how it bothers people so much. I kind of roll my eyes and go "yeah, ok then" but it doesn't make me hate the bloke.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

SeanBeansShako posted:

I don't hate him, but it can grate at times.

I've yet to actually close an entire close a video because somebody has a bad taste in hats.

It was also, hilariously a trilby.

Oh I didn't mean you in particular. I mean earlier on in the thread (or another, i'm following rome on a few forums and I may have gotten mixed up) people were truly raging at his internet persona. It baffles me is all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Koramei posted:

And ranked fire means your dudes fire one row at a time, the ones inactive pausing to reload; kneel fire means the first two rows fire simultaneously. I think. I can't even remember ranked fire in FotS so maybe don't listen to me on that.

Pretty sure its just kneel fire in FOTS. And by jove it is glorious. Guardmode + kneel fire will let you take out anything, as even dedicated melee units will just get shot by the line at the back while the front line fights them.