Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Ojetor posted:

Anyone know how to use Sun Jian's mercenary camp? It says it provides Mercenary Captain recruitment charges but I don't see any way to actually recruit Mercenary Captains.

If you already have an army, without three generals already, on the screen to add another general you can switch to a page that let's you add on a full six units that are already up to full strength, for a shitload of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

VietCampo posted:

I'm gonna try this poo poo now, god drat.

It's especially weird because they list Ma Chao as one of his significant characters and i know about him from DWs, but he's like 13 at the start and i keep getting dunked on before he even becomes usable.

Sun Jian's significant characters are just his kids that are underage at game start too.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Do you get to keep items and ancillaries when one of your characters dies? Assuming the enemy faction doesnt steal or it something. Just wondering if all the fancy unique gear of characters will disappear if they die from old age or war or whatever

A lot of the unique gear can literally only be worn by the character in question anyway.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Just had Yuan Shao vote against every single person that wanted to join our coalition for like 50 turns before suddenly turning around and going "you know who I really want to join our coalition? Gongsun Zan, who I spent 2/3 of this game fighting."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In the 190 start, if Yan Baihu doesn't get off the ground that area ends up as basically Unimportant Faction Thunderdome. Some good luck coming out on top and I can see it snowballing a little.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Once you've actually gotten to a prestige rank, dropping in prestige doesn't actually drop you out of being marquis or whatnot, so you can basically immediately rush to all the high rank features with legitimacy and then proceed to spend it all down to the second level that doesn't give you public order penalties like the first one.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dramicus posted:

I agree about the campaign. I doubt Troy will have the same legs as Warhammer or 3k, but I'll probably get a good 20 hours out of it at least. And it's free, to boot, so I can't complain.

However, I can complain about them choosing to release their free game in the middle of the week. Why not just do it now and let us play over the weekend? It's not like they have to worry about maximizing their opening week of sales, cuz, you know, its free.

They're getting paid by epic for each download, IIRC the same as their cut of what an actual purchase would be. So from the perspective of Their Finances, it's not free.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

who else here just downloaded Epic today because they are a shameless whore?

Not me, because it turns out you can redeem the free copy on the website along and I don't particularly feel like downloading anything at the moment.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Dramicus posted:

A variation on the theory is that chariots were very expensive to build and maintain, and it wasn't any technological advantage that the Sea peoples had that did in the great powers, it was just the sheer volume of battles that were fought. Inevitably, they started incurring chariot losses that were unsustainable and that combined with the complete sacking of the developed coastal cities meant that the ruined economy combined with losses of skilled laborers eventually broke the camel's back, so to speak.

A modern power can afford to lose a few MBTs, maybe even a couple hundred, but even America would be hard-pressed to replace thousands of them in a short time, given their cost and complexity.

Generally I've seen that theory stated more about attrition to the Charioteers.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I kinda hope when Cao Ren gets his unique portrait he's changed into a Vanguard, Cao Cao has a severe shortage of them for his T&L Cav. Wu could do with a champion or two too, not sure who though?

Honestly I kind of enjoy going into a Wu game knowing that I'm going to have to be on the hunt for good champions.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
3K's staying power is fine, warhammer is just an absurd outlier.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
From my understanding of the historical chain of events, Yuan Shao under Dong Zhou isn't actually that weird, although yeah the fact than Dong Zhou is somehow still alive while Yuan Shao took over IS weird.

Yuan Shao is part of He Jin's clique at the capital, He Jin asks Dong Zhou for help against the Eunuchs but is killed before Dong Zhou shows up, it seems like a reasonable action to flee over to the guy who's coming to "help."

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
In a way the problem is that it's basically too easy to make useless territory useful.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Anno posted:

Looks like some embargoes are up. Serious Trivia posted a DLC Deep Dive video that I assume is comprehensive because it’s over two hours long, somehow.

The man used up all of his permitted time on this one video. Jesus christ (in a good way.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
History it turns out is written by whoever wrote the history and by historical accident writing about the three kingdoms has been dominated by a long line of people with various reasons to be extremely pro-shu, not Pro-Winner.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Some people think there's a chance we're eventually going to be getting more significant vassal systems to solve that exact problem once we have the actual three kingdoms so in that case you'd be able to play an actual smaller start as like, Sima Yi UNDER the giant Wei kingdom.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think the emperor becomes an actual character until you abdicate to him so that would be a problem for that aspect.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
drat, i'm playing through as Lu Bu because I don't have the DLC i'm just wanting to experience the patch and incidentally it seems like it's straight up impossible to get the He Yi and Gong Du greatest warrior kills. If you keep killing off generals he eventually brings Huang Shao out but that's it.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That's exactly what I'm doing, but in the current patch he gets destroyed in his first fight against Liu Biao and then never gets brought out again every single time, as far as I can tell.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Verviticus posted:

i think theres a mod that prevents named characters from getting killed/executed in AI battles so maybe he could show up elsewhere after that?

If this is about He Yi, the problem there is that he's the last Yellow Turban faction on the map and absent bugs yellow turbans are only going to show up in the yellow turban pool. So you're on a strict time limit to get his greatest warrior bonus before Liu Biao wipes the faction out.

I guess maybe it's possible if you immediately pick a fight with Liu Biao to give He Yi some breathing room?

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

MiddleOne posted:

Really not liking the structure right now where you're very quickly forced into a choice between declaring war on Cao Cao or taking some kind of big handicap. Only tried Ma Teng and inheritance-boy so I hope it's not all the scripted characters. Snaking your way along the yellow river while having 10 plus armies conga-lining towards you is a very samey experience.

Also can someone explain the empire mechanic to me like I'm five. It feels completely impossible to tank someone else's reputation. Everyone just ends up on 75-100 favour within 20 turns irregardless and then Cao Cao declares himself emperor ending the mechanic. Does the dynamic change if you're Yuan Shao and can actually hurt him early?

It's definitely poorly balanced right now. Positive food seems to give too much rep for how common it is.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Huh, since when does Kong Rong start off at peace with Dong Zhuo? Extra weird since the current character select system sorts him as part of the coalition instead of the empire where all the other governor types are.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I think since always? He is technically an imperial governor because if I remember correctly he was appointed to where he is by Dong Zhuo (because Dong Zhuo wanted to get rid of him from imperial court). I won a campaign as him and I didnt get to form my own emperor seat.
But it didnt matter because his economy is OP with his 300 "Culture" income unique school-replacing building that also provides absurd pop growth.

Nah I can definitely confirm at one point he started out at war with Dong Zhuo.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Yeah I personally think it's good that your characters' kids won't be as good as the original generations, but I do think there needs to be some sort of unique independents show up or come into their own or something to add SOME interest to longer lasting game.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Flipswitch posted:

I say as I kick Yuan Xi out of my faction.

MTU looks like it's focusing more on the second generation and concubines which is kind of important, but there are so many characters missing from the first generation, nevermind the second or the third that CA are kind of damned if they do, damned if they don't. :)

Kind of why if I was running things in that aspect I'd do it less about the specific characters and instead come up with more of a dynamic system, so it feels more like a separate thing and less like "why are you spending time on characters some people will never even play long enough to meet instead of [my preferred 190 character]?"

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Think I've figured out how to semi-consistently get He Yi to show up in an army to fight in a Lu Bu campaign. I think the AI seems to be consistently sending him on assignment after the initial army is smashed, but if you take the Runan iron mine to block Liu Biao and then Jianxia's city to kick him off the assignment, he'll finally be available to be put into an army.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Captain Beans posted:

Depending on how it all shakes out I might not need to make that art only version now. I have not had a chance to look at their new setup, but I'm hopeful the events mod split off basically does all the work I was doing before.

yea the mod has always been weirdly horny about that concubine poo poo. in the actual scripts/code of the mod its never referred to as concubine, instead its referred to as MILF :rolleyes:

oh well, TUP is totally supplanting MTU for me anyway. Hopefully the new version of TUP (due out this weekend) uses the new MTU core without the events and concubine poo poo.

edit: lol they actually changed the scripts this version from milf_dilemma_list to concubine_dilemma_list

It's definitely weirdly horny about the concubine poo poo, but it being referred to as MILF in the code doesn't really seem like that and more a joke about Cao Cao's love for already married women.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
That hasn't really been my experience with Lu Bu in this patch. I smashed him up on my way down to fight yellow turbans for He Yi's greatest warrior's buff and after that only got a couple odd moments where I was the target before he eventually declared me Enemy of the Han so I wiped him out. I don't think I got hit with a single scheme during that first war with him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
It's explicitly intentional yeah, it's part of the "vengeful tyrant" diplo personality.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I'm not sure I fully understand the latest 3K DLC. It just seems to add a new start date? What's this FLC people were talking about?

New start date, Liu Yan faction, and new units + the northern army mechanic. Free patch without any strictly speaking FLC had a bunch of overhauls.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Kazzah posted:

I'm playing Medieval 2, as Milan.
The pope declared war on me, conquered one of my cities, and exterminated the inhabitants. I moved an army in and laid siege to Rome, which was barely defended.

The next turn, the pope died and got replaced by one of my guys. We are now at peace, and they still own poor Ajaccio. Fuckers.

I feel obliged to mention that I am the only one who has ever completed a Crusade, and seemingly the only one capable of building cathedrals - most of the towns I take don't even have abbeys. I know you have to stack things against the player to make the experience fun, but I've played this as like the ideal medieval Christian king, and he hates me for it.

The ideal medieval christian king, as far as the pope is concerned, is unfortunately one who stays the gently caress out of italy because that's the pope's playground.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Funky See Funky Do posted:

This is generally a problem with any historical TW title. There's not a lot of periods in history where groups that were right next to each other were all that different in terms of warfare. Let's say they did a 100 Years TW. Historically speaking both sides fielded exactly the same kind of troops. The story that gets told is Agincourt was a triumph of English archery vs Frech mounted knights so any TW game is going to exaggerate that and give England really good ranged units and France really good heavy cav but that's about as different as they're going to get.

I don't think there's a solution to this. Any two armies that face each other in any given period are going to be very similar in their composition.

The solution is to have never played total warhammer and thus have the status quo feel perfectly fine. :v:

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Charlz Guybon posted:

Yeah, but CA's a business. An ancient world game with two dozen playable factions from China to the Mediterranean sells copies in all those place, plus the Americas.

It's a business but it's a business that is in the business of DLC. Business. Selling copies of the base game is good but if the base game is so shallow that not enough people stick around to buy future dlc, that is not good.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Ballista are useful when you really really need to take a settlement when you've got a strategist with only flaming arrows and not flaming shot. You will presumably give them flaming shot soon after that though and swap out the ballista for trebuchets.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Alchenar posted:

Aaaaagh where in three kingdoms does it tell you that replenishing troops after a battle is an atrocity that will make everyone on the planet furious with me?

Nowhere but the good news is it will only make people who like that faction furious with you, replenish away whenever you fight yellow turbans, it'll actually make the factions you can actually conduct diplomacy with like you more. (Apparently it's partly legacy code from warhammer where the choice is frequently explicitly "enslave them" or "eat them" or whatnot.)

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I don't think I ever even downloaded it, and absolutely never played it and didn't really intend to, but i still signed up an epic account and got troy added to my epic storefront library because that meant slightly more money transferred from epic to CA and I was riding high on being happy about three kingdoms at that point.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
As a guy who has never played the warhammer total war I straight up never noticed it at all

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The actual three kingdoms era is Kinda Eh in the way the most total war late games are, which is more disappointing than usual given it's, you know, a three kingdoms game, but if you go into it with the right expectation (which, to be clear, that right expectation is "this didn't fix the flaw shared by every single total war game") it is really really good.

As to the fantasy question, it does have a fully historical mode, and even otherwise the fantasy aspect is still more "generals are cinematic war movie badasses who can mow down hundreds on their own"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I would recommend romance mode, because the super-cavalry squads you get instead in records mode always feel like they homogenize the experience.

Or more sincerely i'd just recommend trying both out and seeing what you like instead of taking what yahoos on the internet say on gospel.