Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Is there a good mod for the original Rome that just fixes some stupid design decisions like Squalor and the Senate and maybe rebalances pre-Marius Rome and the barbarians? I don't want massive overhauls where there's like 300 new units and buildings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Next game should obviously be Thirty Years of Total War.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Did shalcar evr write up that final summary of the economy in Shogun 2? The forth post just says "summary coming soon."

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a way to get food in Shogun beyond +1 per farm building? If I need a surplus (for high-level markets, for example) I have to short one province a town size?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

shalcar posted:

There is a chi art that gives you bonus food but other than that you are correct in that you need to choose between fortifications and the extra building slots or bigger markets.

Thanks. As Date, is it possible to go all-in on charge/weapons for my no-dachis or do they need a little armor?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I've been following Shalcar's Shogun 2 LP as I play, but for some reason all his units are larger than mine- for example, Samurai Retainers have 45 to a unit and I only have 30. It's all across the board for both the LP and my game. Did I miss a setting somewhere?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Nobody plays Shogun 2 multi anymore right?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The Ikko Ikki have like 20 provinces right now :stare: I'm not looking forward to the inevitable wardec.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is it just me or is the S2 naval AI incredibly bad? It just tends to sit there in a neat line while I roll up the flank.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The closest we'll get to Thirty Years Total War

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

but that's not how you spell thirty years war???

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Welmu posted:

It seems DarthMod actually made & released a game after his vow to never again mod Total War. Ultimate General: Gettysburg currently has "91% recommended this game" on Steam and it costs twelve bucks.

Anyone tried it?

It's basically a modernized Sid Meier's Gettysburg. It's a little barebones but it's fun and pretty easy to get into.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Earwicker posted:

So I know there are like 1 or 2 other people in this thread besides me who are interested in the Thirty Years War and the tactics/units of that period... I have just been trying out an iPad game called Pike and Shot and it's not bad. Graphics are crap and it's a bit simplistic, but still fun and decently historical, and it's the best (well only) game I've seen covering the period on a tactical level

It's also on Steam. I've been playing it off and on and while it's not perfect it's pretty fun to mess around with.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Nope. They vaguely promised some sort of troop uniform editor or faction army appearince editing function with Napoleon. I remember it well because it never happened.

post/username

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

I think routing enemies still get to fight back, albeit with large penalties. So they can still kill a few of your dudes.

If they have guns they may freindly-fire themselves.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Just got Napoleon on the sale. Any tips for the Peninsular campaign as the Spanish?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man the Napoleon AI is totally fine firing cannons into your general's unit on the off chance they'll miss and hit the enemy.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Incidentally can anyone sum up the differences between vanilla Shogun 2 and Rise of the Samurai? I remember the general gist is that it's lower 'power level' so to speak and generally has a little better balance.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also does anyone have advice on how to get into Shogun 2 multi? It looks like there's still a handful of people playing it.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

In Shogun 2 I counquered a Nanban trading port province. If I want to convert will I get another offer to build a port later? I already turned down one.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

If I'm not gonna go Christian is there a real point to stuff that boost damiyo honor?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I may be in a three-front war with Realm Divide fast approaching and only 15 years or so left but the Oda are still really fun to play.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a mod that gives vanilla Shogun 2 the skill trees from Fall of the Samurai? I like the way those are designed better.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Alternately convert to Christianity and use Nanban Trade Ships

I had a game when another clan sniped the Black Ship and used it against me, I autoresolved and actually won and captured the ship.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Oda generals with Stand and Fight and the ashigaru bonus are pretty obscenely good at doing absolutely nothing but standing in place

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The interesting thing about Shogun 2 is that you can totally break it over your knee but you can do it in so many interesting ways with a minimum of fussing around on the strategy layer.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

The siege tutorial in Shogun is notoriously bad, with misleading advice and a bad force composition for a siege. Sieges in Shogun are generally won either by a) attacking on more fronts than they can defend b) bringing overwhelming archer superiority c) starving them out. And unless I've been missing something too making units move as a group is always terrible

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

I honestly didn't play Napoleon much and I might be turned off by FOTS but I feel that melee-oriented combat is more fun to play than guns.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Decus posted:

You can do melee-oriented really well in FoTS though, provided terrain doesn't screw you over. Guns need LoS to fire so if you hide behind a hill with all your swords/spears you can charge the guns just as they crest, before they can fire, and win in melee. Archers are also great in FoTS since they can fire up into forts and out-range everything but maybe the light-infantry variants the AI rarely uses. All of the cav is good too. The only real issues are the traditional buildings slowing down your tech progress--somewhat minor--and very late in the game when the gun units get better at smacking you with rifles.

Napoleon used a similar strategy and called it "reverse hill defense" only instead of bunches of samurai waiting on the other side he had cannons and guns.

Oh yeah and I did it a few times, its neat and fun. What I meant was that playing a gun army in FOTS is mostly about making the AI march into the kill zone of your armstrong guns and then murdering them with kneel fire before they even get close. Napoleon/Empire battles would obviously be less one-sided affairs.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Agents in S2 were fine except after realm divide where every clan in japan would spam them at you constantly and it got annoying as hell

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Or just play the Otomo since tercios are stupidly good.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Is there a mod to give vanilla generals FOTS-style skills cause it's the one thing I think the base game is really missing.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Klaus88 posted:

Bizzarly FOTS and shogun two feel like the most balanced Total wars. Modern units wreck in the field but get wrecked when it comes to taking castles.

I suppose that has something to do with each faction having ascess to the same basic unit rosters, unlike Rome and Medieval.

You have heard of this thing called "cannons" right

Vanilla S2 was pretty tightly balanced though.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

How is Warhammer if you think Shogun 2 is the Only Good Total War?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Shogun 2: are yari or katana cavalry better against other cavalry? I'm really bad at microing cav and just want something to lock down my flanks and chase down skirmishers/retreaters

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Man I can't loving stand naval battles in Shogun 2. The ships are weirdly unresponsive.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Also, thanks to the Total Warhammer thread I finally figured out how to make your units stay in checkerboard formation without having to micro them, which would have been really nice when playing the Otomo

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Playing traditional armies requires lots of exploiting line of sight and terrain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Mans posted:

Start with the dudes on the Southern Island because they're mostly safe and you can dictate the pace of your campaign.

The Chokosabe (these guys) are a pretty good pick because they have a nice safe island, a generically good combat bonus (almost every army will use some bows and it makes sieges better) and a generic but strong econ bonus. Only disadvantage is you have to learn naval combat a bit.