Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Ask me about peasant etymology!
I simply cannot believe they ended up re-releasing Medieval/Viking Invasion; this is fantastic news and I am looking forward to getting back to the title in the series I loved the most. I am vaguely kind of curious if I remember the AI being better than it actually was. And the gameplay. Maybe I will miss the improvements. It's a shame so many of the old mods are dead and gone. The Tyberius Mod 2.3 version made the game so damned good in every way. It really gets under my skin that all the links to the 2.3 are gone and only 2.2 still exist. Bah the silly little competitionist in me.

Edit:

I downloaded the Gold Version from Steam and am very happy to report that it seems to be working just fine. None of the old, weird or game-breaking bugs of trying to run it on a modern machine seem to be present.

Hardest thing to get used to, so far, is not being able to attack or move with the right mouse button.

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Grand Prize Winner posted:

You're talking about the first Medieval: Total War? Can you link it or something? Casual googling hasn't turned it up for me.

e: oh god I'm dumb. Here it is!
http://store.steampowered.com/app/345260/

Yes, the first Medieval from when the series still had "Risk" maps instead of walking little armies around Europe.

Glad you found it. I am really impressed by how well the game is holding up compared against some of the newer titles. I managed to find the XL 3.0 MOD from the old days, which adds a bunch of different factions and adjusts the trade system so that it's more fair to the PC (it changes things so that farm improvements pay out 50% more and reduces the trade you can get from the naval system which the AI doesn't understand).

It's absolutely refreshing to see the AI just run slowly retreat battles it can't win, both on the campaign map and in the actual real battles. It's a bit "whack-a-mole" on the campaign map trying to pin down forces. Battles seem to last longer too. Feels a lot meatier and solid, and takes a little while of fighting for anyone to just rout on the spot. The battles themselves are not exactly pretty to watch, but I find the PC opponent is fairly good at not doing too terribly stupid things. Haven't seen anything egregious like generals charging into walls of spears without reason. I haven't played the latest Rome yet so maybe that has been addressed in recent times - it's not an issue in the first title though.

The UI is functional and not a problem. It's minimal, and there aren't really as many things to keep track of and therefore not much of a need for more.

I am having a blast. I am super happy they released Medieval 1 and made it functional.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I mostly just want the strategic map to be a place where I build dudes and move them on a risk-like board. Screw movement cost and all that nonsense, clarity should be key. Its the battles that matter, not the strategic layer. gently caress agents.

The first Medieval: Total War is available in a Gold Version on Steam and gives you exactly this (and the Viking Invasion expansion), though there are still some agents puttering around. Part and parcel of that is that it's probably the last Total War the AI could actually "play" on the strategic and tactical layers. I gave up on the series a little after Napoleon so I am not sure if it's still the case.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I think Medieval's AI was pretty solid. It could mostly play out the tactical battles and stay interesting on the world map.

Not sure it has been surpassed in the intervening 15 years.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I have both Empire and Napoleon, and played a lot of vanilla Napoleon in the day and generally liked it. Never touched Empire. I heard it was that bad. Now I learn that Empire has some sort of mod that really makes it decent, maybe even surpassing modded Napoleon. I am not sure I trust random Youtubers though for their tastes though. I am burned out on Warhammer and want to give one of these a go.

Which game, when fully modded, is a better experience? I'm not so interested in the Japanese gunpowder one (but I do own it if everyone thinks that's going to be a better time - does that one have any must have mods)? I wish I could get into Three Kingdoms. Something about my brain just cannot handle the concept of multiple campaign start dates and FOMOs my experience into oblivion, even if one is obviously better than others. Stupidly though I still think the first Medieval with Viking installed has the best overall campaign (not even the British map). Why didn't I FOMO back then?

Oh well.

I do care too much about graphical updates or anything, those are nice but not the point. Which of Empire/Napoleon have the best mods that fix and improve the gameplay? Does anything improve the "overworld" or is it just the battles? Do they all get fixed? Looking on my own and I feel lost from all the choices. I would appreciate the guidance. Thank you.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Are there any must have mods for FOTS, then? I'm afraid it would feel samey in a way that Empire or Napoleon might not?

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I know modern Coptic isn't a perfect, but at least it's a try?

Edit: Do the Tomb Kings in the game speak some fake Games Workshop language or is that something real but foreign?

pesty13480 fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 12, 2023

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

Captain Beans posted:

Best upgrade to Empire is to play Napoleon instead. Just across the board just about every aspect of the game is better, primarily because the AI can handle things better in Napoleon (campaign, battle).

Any particular reason why it needs to be Empire?

I've read some good things about the Empire 2.0 unofficial patch, and I look at it and i am tempted.

But I wonder if whatever Napoleon fan patch out there makes a patched up Napoleon better.

And then I do nothing.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I used to wonder what kind of trickery they were using to keep it interesting for the show.

My experience of Rome was walking around for a minute or two and a 20 second battle and everything's routed.

What a hideous step back it was from Medieval: Viking Invasion.

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Ah yes, removing a good mechanic to replace it with a bad one instead of just programming the AI to be not completely cowardly. CA in one sentence, lol

If someone found a way to mod in modern unit replenishment for the original Medieval / Viking Invasion I am pretty sure I would still be playing the game to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pesty13480
Nov 13, 2002

I found that DEI gave me worse load times than Warhammer 3, on my not quite as spry as it used to be rig. To the point where it was almost unplayable.

Turning down graphics settings did not seem to help.

I should just upgrade I guess.