Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

GruntyThrst posted:

Fuckin' give us Rome 2 or Medieval 3 already. And make it good. :mad:

Rome 2 is what I'm hoping for but honestly I would probably re-buy Medieval 2 if they got rid of its archaic unit reinforcement system and replaced it with Empire/Shogun's much more streamlined one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Mans posted:

What's the difference about reinforcements you guys keep talking about?

In Medieval 2 and the earlier games, you have to move depleted units into a castle or town to replenish the unit (which then takes a turn and costs money). The castle or town needs to be able to train that type of unit, or you can't replenish. This meant that if your super-elite unit of badass knights took losses far away from your most developed castle, you might have to move them all the way back to reinforce them.

In the newer games, units slowly replenish automatically when within one of your (or your ally's, I think) territories, even if they're not within the actual town.

peer fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 18, 2012

peer
Jan 17, 2004

If you liked the scene in The Last Samurai where the samurai army charges and instantly gets mowed down by gatling guns, you'll like FotS. I'd say the new campaign is as good as the base game.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The move from controlling individual units to "legions" sounds interesting. Wonder how that'll work out.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Shimazu (or whatever the green guys are called) is probably the easiest faction to start with, to get a grasp on how things work. You're on an easily defensible island, you have better sword infantry than anyone else and you have a lot of trade routes right outside your front door; if you build some trade ships asap and occupy those routes (they're marked on your map) you'll be rolling in money before long.

Otherwise, get trade agreements with as many factions as possible, upgrade your ports and other commercial buildings, and don't forget to upgrade your farms so your people don't run out of food.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

This is a fantastic idea and probably way cooler than anything we'll get.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

A BIG loving BLUNT posted:

I know Rome is usually everyonee's favorite but I played the hell out of this and Med 2 way more than any other total war game combined

In my opinion the first Medieval was the best game in the series until Shogun 2 came along. I think Rome was massively more successful though just because it's easier to get non-history-nerds interested when it's not sprite-based.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I'm starting to get the same feeling I had a few months before RTW's release, which was basically "oh god this will be the best ever". Which turned out to be sort-of true. Hope RTW2 can repeat this :shobon:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

They revealed the final faction (which is apparently free release-day DLC) for Rome 2: it's Pontus.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Torrannor posted:

I hate all combat after the medieval period. I played maybe 10 battles in Empire, after that I let the AI fight all battles for me. Lines of gunpowder units firing on other lines of gunpowder units, interrupted by cannon fire is extremely boring for me. That's why I generally like Shogun 2, but matchlock units are again extremely irritating, and I didn't even bother with FotS. I cringe every time people are demanding a game set in the Renaissance. So I am really anticipating Rome 2, because it is the only setting that has no gunpowder weapons (except Rise of the Samurai).

You can play FOTS as one of the shogun-aligned factions and eschew gunpowder units entirely. Gun lines are boring but carving up those bastard imperial riflemen with your obsolete weapons is pretty fun.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Is it referring to units you get after the New World is discovered? I know Spain gets sword-and-buckler-men and conquistadores and stuff, maybe Venice gets something similar (I haven't played MTW2 in a long time)?

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Agreed on MTW's setting being the most interesting but going back to manual unit reinforcement, diplomats and all the other crap they streamlined in STW2 makes MTW2 a total pain to play.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I assume the reason they haven't done China is because they expect it'd have less mass appeal. Everyone's familiar with and loves knights and Romans, and most nerds like samurai, but unless you're a history geek you might not know or care much about what China was up to.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Alchenar posted:

That battle was awful. Sure they got to show off how naval and land units can fight on the same map, but it looked like an over-complicated uncontrollable mess.

Until he got the event message about the roman army fleeing I had no idea which side was winning or why. Probably partially the editing's fault, I guess.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

brocretin posted:

:siren::siren::torgue:DEALS SON!:torgue::siren::siren:

%25 off the PREORDER for Rome II on Greenmangaming (steam code) this weekend! (also civ 5 brave new world)

http://blog.playfire.com/2013/06/are-you-keane-for-new-code.html

Thanks for the heads up!

peer
Jan 17, 2004

It might not look like much, kid, but it's got it where it counts. He's made a lot of special modifications himself.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Egypt should have elite mummy units as dlc

peer
Jan 17, 2004

They added a kind of interactive map for RTW 2, if anyone's interested. I'm excited :shobon:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

They got Mark Strong to voice the prologue protagonist, evidently. Looks like they're putting quite a bit of effort into making the prologue interesting.

Also some stuff about making the soundtrack and effects.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Thanks for the video. That guy is insufferable but the campaign map looks pretty sweet (and huuuuge).

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Come on, that's easily googled. September 3rd is the planned release date.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think it's a pretty common opinion that swords, bows, cavalry and spears allow for more interesting gameplay than gun lines. I felt FotS handled gunpowder weapons pretty well, though.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Another cool video about the (Carthaginian) campaign, this time without the obnoxious ponytailed guy :toot:

peer fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jul 25, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

We don't know for sure that it'll be a Total War game, though :v:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

The other way around, they've only got the rights to Warhammer Fantasy.

Far as I know, anyway.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

It's global

peer
Jan 17, 2004

And a cool silver paintjob

edit: and scythed chariots. I don't think Parthia had those.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

More video! A guy skirmishing as Macedon against Rome.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Athropos posted:

I'm still pretty pissed off we never see actual zoomed in combat animations in any of these stupid videos.

Yeeeaaaah that has me kind of worried as well. If I recall correctly, a lot of Shogun 2 pre-release media showed off the (great) animations.

edit: incidentally, I hope Rome 2 gets blood/decapitation DLC as well :shobon:

peer fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 8, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Yeah I'm guessing the main reason he lost is because he spent most of his points or whatever on a bunch of elite cavalry and then didn't use them :downs:

edit: also at one point he mistakes an unengaged roman unit for one of his own and tries to select it

peer fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Aug 8, 2013

peer
Jan 17, 2004

DrHub posted:

Its been a long lonnng time since I was hyped for a game like this

For me it's since the original RTW, I think :shobon:

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think you're talking about Time Commanders, with the totally insane Dr. Aryeh Nusbacher.

edit: beaten. It was a pretty bad show and I think they also made an even worse one with that one guy from Band of Brothers

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Crowsbeak posted:

:frogout:
That was the greatest show ever. I especially lke where teams would accidentally pull a victory like at the Battle of Cynoscephalae. I would love if they relaunched that series with the new engine.

Oh don't get me wrong, I watched the hell out of it at the time. It was entertaining, but I still wouldn't call it 'good'.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I guess spergy obsession over your own country's wars throughout history breeds nationalism.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I didn't say being interested in history means you're a nationalist, but there's a difference between "having an interest" and "obsessing over minor details like the skin colour of your pixel macedonians".

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think it's these things. Apparently they're to prevent being shot in the back.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Guess I'll post this here too: a list of reviews on the official forums. Mostly 8.5-9/10, with a few lower ones.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I made the mistake of buying RTW2 when it was half off and jesus is this imperium system stupid. The only way I can possibly conquer more territories to get more imperium is by leaving half my cities unguarded, when I have so much money in the treasury that I could raise two armies easily. What the gently caress is the point of this when we already have upkeep/treasury to manage?

I think the idea is to cut down on the ridiculous number of single-unit armies you'd have running around in earlier games, and make you think about how you deploy your armies. As long as you pay attention to what your enemies are doing, your garrisons should be enough to guard cities that aren't at the frontier.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

I think that was originally what they were planning in Rome 2, ie recruiting "legions" rather than specific units, but at some point in development they changed their minds.

Far as I know there's unfortunately no way to do this with modding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peer
Jan 17, 2004

As much as I'd love another Medieval, didn't CA say at some point that they'd like to avoid making a game with "3" in the title?

Seems likely the Warhammer game is next, anyway.