Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary

SeanBeansShako posted:

Speaking of Medieval, gently caress you foreign Merchants. I hate your tiny little greedy existance with a searing passion. Stop being dicks!
"Congratulations on passing your merchants guild exams! Now I have just one question for you: Why are you still here? Get to Timbuktu! Run! Run you bastard, run!!"

And so the merchant migrations to Africa continued on for another year...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The ease of Shogun diplomacy has me spoiled. gently caress dragging diplomats everywhere; gently caress that stupid mechanic.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

MadJackMcJack posted:

I'll be honest, I'd prefer Rome 2 over another gunpower-era game. Hell, a new Rome with the moddibility of RTW and the improvements from the later games would probably get me fired from all the sickies I'd be pulling.
To be honest though, any game with the modding capabilities of RTW would be welcome. The current trend of locking everything down needs to be stopped.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The original Medieval is notorious for its unplayability on modern systems.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

physeter posted:

What is their problem anyway? On TWC, Rome and MTW2 forums are still busy as hell because of modders. I own ~4 copies of Rome and two copies of MTW2 because of mods. Is it really that hard for them to grasp the concept? I just don't get the hostility this one company seems to have. But I don't own a single copy of Empire, Napoleon or Shogun because of it.
They claim it's because back in the days of medieval and before, the engine wasn't very complicated and lots of it was in text files and lose dds's. These days the engine is so huge that it's not feasible to have much of it open for one reason or another.

If you step back and think about how sloppy Empire was on release, imagine how bad it would've been if they've spent the time making it moddable.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Roll on series 3 of Time Commanders.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

VanSandman posted:

If it really is Rome 2, I hope they learn from some of the more historically accurate mods that history can be very fun if you take the time to make it work.
I doubt most people really care; people didn't care about the historical inaccuracy of Medieval 2, or Shogun 2. What I hope they learn from Rome modding is that they shouldn't try to be as historically accurate as possible, as there will always be people with more time, more knowledge and less important social lives who are able to pick up the slack.

What they need to learn from RTW isn't accuracy, it's modability.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

If they are going the RPG root of equipping some of your elites in this though, I have a slightly nasty feeling that Tech might be the new unit packs DLC wise.

Of course I'm just being cynical ignore me :(.
You've every right to be cynical about it considering it's the route every other piece of DLC for every other game recently has taken.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Realm divide just kills my enjoyment of Shogun 2 flat :( I enjoy myself all the way up to it and then boom, the game stops being fun.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Trujillo posted:

There's mods that soften or get rid of realm divide all together if it's stopping you from playing.

It hasn't, and I'm still going on to glory, it's just not as interesting as the splits in the expansions.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I'm playing with the DarthMod and while it doesn't really remove units per se, it changes a lot of the balance so things are a lot more fun. I had a blast with it and my ROTS playthrough has been hilarious. God I love destroying enemy factions by making all their provinces rise up so I can walk in and take them almost unmolested.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I only ever play m2tw with lands to conquer as I think it does the best fixing of the game without adding any bloat. I can't speak highly enough about it.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

ROTS is great fun. Having monks rampage over hostile lands inspiring rebellions so you can walk your agents in and simply buy the regions from the newly installed rebels is delicious. It's different from S2 in that it's focused way more heavily on negotiation and moves away from combat. FOTS is the pinnacle of the series, but ROTS is a really fun expansion in its own right.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Go through your data folder and delete/rename any patch*.pack files.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

Does Total War generally bottleneck at Memory or Graphics card? I've got 4GB of memory and a pretty beefy graphics card, so I'm trying to figure out where my upgrade money should be spent.

CPU usually. Though TW isn't really that taxing. If you want more shineys, then a better graphics card will obviously help, but most of the engine problems are down to lovely optimisation. My average system runs Shogun 2 flawlessly maxed out while Rome 2 runs like rear end.

Plavski fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Sep 12, 2013

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I had no problem with vanilla and is great fun modless. I'm playing it through with the DarthMod now, but that's just for balance purposes.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

All FOTS stuff was posted in the Shogun 2 thread yeah.

Which can be found here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3397267

Requires archives, obviously. Also, it's a thread that conjures up weird feelings when I read my own two year old posts.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Had fun with the Ikko-Ikki today, until a province randomly decided to convert to me and it triggered Realm Divide :(

Now I'm playing the Hattori, but drat is it weird. Anyone got any tips?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

DerLeo posted:

In Shogun 2, is there any way to release one of your vassals so you don't take the hit for declaring war on them? I want to clear them out of the way before Realm Divide but it doesn't seem to be readily possible.

Go ferment rebellion.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

i would wager that there is a helluva lot of game in britannia to be worth 30 quid

you spend more than that just taking your partner to the cinema for an hour and a half

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

I only completely a legendary campaign once, in Shogun 2(FotS), and it was awful and that game was actually great. The TW AI never gets better with further difficulty, it only gets more cheats and the player more handicaps, none of which translates to good or fun gameplay.

Been 7 years since Shogun 2 tho, so things have changed.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

The AI still doesn't get any better with difficulty though, just more bonuses

are you sure?

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Electronico6 posted:

CA devs also state the reason Atilla runs poorly is due to being designed for future hardware. ´

Interesting thing about designing for any PC hardware - sometimes you gamble and sometimes you get it wrong. There was a good article from Digital Foundry on why Crysis still runs like poo poo on modern machines. Turns out they gambled on the future being in really fast single cores, not medium fast multiple cores. When this didn't turn out, CPU speeds never got fast enough to enable Crysis to work right.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2018-why-crysis-still-melts-the-fastest-gaming-pcs-10-years-later

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

The Duggler posted:

Seems like a bad call even for 2007

quote:

But Crysis also hails from an era where the future of CPU technology was heading in a very different direction than Crytek may have originally envisaged. It is multi-core aware to a certain extent - gaming workloads can be seen across four threads - but the expectation for PC computing, especially from Intel with its Netburst architecture, was that the real increase in speed in computing would happen from massive increases in clock speed, with the expectations of anything up to 8GHz Pentiums in the future. It never happened, of course, and that's the key reason why it is impossible to run Crysis at 60fps, even on a Core i7 8700K overclocked to 5GHz. At its nadir in the Ascension stage (sensibly removed from the console versions), the fastest gaming CPU money can buy struggles to move beyond the mid-30s.
When they were architecting it out in 2005-2006, that was the current wisdom :shrug:

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Don Gato posted:

ToB and 3Kingdoms are different teams, right?

Yeah, ToB is Jack Lusted's little project. 3K is done by the main group, then there's another group working on Warhams 3, and more working on Arena. Oh yeah, and more working on other poo poo too... CA have grown massively in recent years.

Mans posted:

While it's entirely fair that the game is a buggy mess because that's standard total war release pratice, I really don't feel like paying 40 euros for what seems like an extended Charlemagne DLC.
I haven't heard anything about bugs enough to consider it a "buggy mess". And the Warhams games were really bug free on their launches, so the idea that CA still produce buggy releases is several years out of date.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

Mans posted:

The AI was physically incapable of responding to ranged fire in release Warhammer 2 other than running in circles.

Warhammer 1 AI would not attack unless it had a 4 to 1 advantage and Chaos would regularly die due to buggy auto resolves.

That is not a gamebreaking bug on par with any issues we had at launch in older games. I played the poo poo out of Warhams 2 at launch with no issues.

Do people forget what a mess Empire shipped in? That was reason enough to give CA the reputation it had, but the Warhams releases have been marvelously playable with no particular crashes or flat out broken nonsense preventing play.

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

quote:

A few words from our Game Director, Jack Lusted, on what’s next for A Total War Saga: THRONES OF BRITANNIA.

Hello,

Thrones of Britannia released just over a week ago today and we’ve been really pleased to see so many people playing and discussing our first Total War Saga title. And there has been a lot of discussion.

We did expect that Thrones might be divisive. Our design approach was to question Total War’s standard formula and to try some things. This really paid off in some areas, like the changes we made to Recruitment for instance, this seems to have gone down really well with the vast majority of players.

Every change we made in Thrones was considered, debated and agonised over but ultimately, it’s your opinions that count, and we know that the game is currently not pleasing everyone as much as it should. I want to respond to some of the issues being raised and talk about what we have planned for the game going forwards.

The first one is the difficulty of the game. Some of you are finding campaigns too short, food and money too abundant, battles too easy. Thrones isn’t giving you enough of a challenge for you want to keep you playing. This is something we can address quickly since it is in large part down to balancing.

Right now, we’re working hard on a patch that will introduce a lot of balance changes which we hope will improve the difficulty level and serve up more challenge. It will be available as part of an opt-in public beta next Tuesday (15th May).

This is not the complete list but included in the patch will be changes like:

Adjusting victory conditions
Increased food consumption from buildings
Increased building costs
Adjustments to corruption and corruption reduction as well as certain Market income buildings to help reduce the amount of gold in the late game
Reduced certain bonuses from techs that were making battles too one-sided until the AI researches them as well
Balance adjustments to battles based on early concerns from the multiplayer community
Alongside these changes the patch will also add some quality of life improvements to the UI and a number of bug fixes.

We’ll continue to balance this patch once it is in public beta, and of course going forward in any future updates we make after this one.

Another theme that keeps coming up in feedback and reviews is a little less straightforward. It’s the notion that Thrones has cut features or ‘streamlined’ aspects that you’ve enjoyed in previous Total War games.

We have made a lot of changes to how the campaign plays, and our aim in this was to deliver the same depth that our players expect from a Total War game, but with a new and consolidated focus. Reading the feedback in reviews and on social media so far, it seems that what we’ve added and changed is not delivering that depth of experience and absorption for some.

We need to look at the mechanics, especially culture and faction mechanics, and decide what may be possible to change to address this.

It should be said that we won’t be re-introducing all the old systems and options that were available in Attila (many of them were re-configured for good reason) but we will be looking at where we can create more depth and opportunity for mastery, whilst not throwing away all the good stuff that you might otherwise be really enjoying in Thrones.

Once we have a more concrete plan for this I will write a follow up post to let you know what we have in mind. In the meantime, I mentioned before that we are particularly interested in culture and faction mechanics, so please let us know what you think is working and what you think isn’t adding much.

Thank you,

Jack
https://www.totalwar.com/blog/thrones-of-britannia-whats-next

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

right, so even though we're not getting this for another year, what's some good three kingdoms related media to get into? i could read the book, but i'm probably not gonna do that. i could also play the games, but i'm not gonna do that either. so are there tv shows or movies worth watching that go into it?