Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Koramei posted:

Can someone explain to me why everybody hates Empire so much?

Well I think for a lot of people it was the fact that they bought a $50 game about continent-spanning empires only to find that AI could not, in fact, transport troops over water, thus making game completely broken at launch.

Of course, they fixed it eventually, but a lot of folks threw in the towel once they figured that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'd much rather have the Total War games continue to improve their campaign mode rather than see Paradox try and implement real time battles.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

All I really want is Napoleon: Total War with Empires map, and a FoTS/RoTS faction system so that the major powers can drawn the smaller countries into their sphere. I would play that until the end of time.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Its better in more recent games but it still happens occasionally.

Most recently I lost a Shogun 2 multiplayer match because I had dismounted some cavalry to capture a building, and when I tried to re-mount them one guy got stuck on something and couldn't get on his horse, so the entire unit was stuck and would not move even as the enemy came and butchered them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

It's like the Egyptians in RTW were designed by someone who had no research material to work with except a DVD of "The Mummy".

I get "fun over realism" but when the game takes place in a certain historical time period it's stupid to literally transform an entire civilization into some bizarre poo poo that never existed just to shake things up.

Here are some other possible changes to history to make things more fun:
Total War: Three Kingdoms - All Chinese units kung-fu fight only, no weapons
Napoleon Total War - Empire of Russia is now the Soviet Union to provide more variety
Medieval Total War - New Italian unit, the "Mafia Hitmen". Just send them a target and "bada bing, bada bang!"
Empire Total War - All American units replaced with cowboys

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Has anyone played the Call of Wahammer mod for MTW2?

http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1377

It looks cool, but I must have sold off my copy of MTW2 so I'd have to buy it again to play it. Luckily it's only 2.50 on Gamersgate right now.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Are any of the total overhaul mods for NTW good?

I just reinstalled NTW and I've been using this mod:
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=1623
La Montee De L'Empire

So far so good. It doesn't radically alter vanilla, just generally makes everything a little more epic.

Adds about a billion units, cranks up the unit sizes to around 200+, better sound effects, awesome smoke during battles, better battle balance, ect.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The mod I linked has a launcher where you can choose a bunch of the mods campaigns, or play vanilla.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Re: How Legions work, instead of individual units

If I had to guess, I'd say it would be a collection of 5+ units you recruit together, and its composition is based on where you recruit it from. Like, recruiting a legion from Rhodes would give you a higher composition of archers, while recruiting from another area might give you more cavalry.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Rome Developer Guy posted:

We’re really committed to constantly improving the AI, because that’s a very important part of the experience, particularly for single player obviously. We’re doing loads of new stuff with the AI, part of that human face thing that we were talking about is to make the AI in diplomacy, for instance, feel a lot more human and a lot more convincing. So we’re doing a whole bunch of things related to that, to add a lot more personality and let the player understand the motives of the AI more. We’ve got these two separate systems; there’s the diplomatic relations system and the core AI intentions system. What we’re doing is combining those into one. The AI intentions and the way it behaves diplomatically won’t be separate systems that are communicating, the will be the same system. So we’re putting love and hate at the very heart of the AI’s intentions.

I could swear they've said this like 3 times before.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I recently reinstalled Empire and {reluctantly) installed Darthmod after seeing the buttload of mod awards it's apparently won. As expected, the launch screen has some retarded darth vader poo poo plastered all over it. The main screen of Empire also now has the "imperial march" playing as well.

Aside from that though, the star wars junk doesn't seem to have penetrated the actual game, and from a couple hours playing it, the mod seems well made. AI seems better, unit sizes are enormous, battles seem fun.

So, there ya go.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

GreatKesh posted:

What's wrong with an Egyptian faction? Wasn't Cleopatra married to a Roman or am I just bad at history?

Around this period of history Egypt was thoroughly Greek-ifed from the conquest of Alexander. In the first Rome game, however, Egypt was portrayed as like, ancient "build the pyramids and make mummies" Egypt which was hundreds of years anachronistic to the game.

Rumors floating that Egypt will be that way again in Rome 2.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Honestly as long as the game is mod friendly enough that dudes can come in and change poo poo, they're welcome, in my opinion, to add whatever weird units they want.

I mean there is gonna be a realism mod out the first week regardless.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Shogun 2 is the best game they've made yet, in my opinion.

Edit: S2 and its expansions/DLC also go on sale on gamersgate pretty regularly. Last time I got 4 DLC packs, Fall of the Samurai, and Rise of the Samurai for like 7 bucks.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Giggily posted:

There's a good chance it's going to be a deal again on the last day of the Summer Sale, so just wait for that.

Also how are you supposed to deal with FOTS line infantry with vanilla Shogun 2 units?

If you're talking multiplayer than you can uncheck mixed battles so you don't have to fight FOTS players.

Honestly though, once you learn how to fight against FOTS armies as vanilla it can actually be easier than going up against a regular opponent.

Basically, most FOTS players are idiots and will blow almost their entire load on line infantry and/or artilery. If they've done this, then you're golden.

Take a fuckton of cav (this is the most important part) and a bunch of melee swordsmen. At low levels tons of Loan Swords will do, otherwise low-level vetted katana samuari are good too. If you have ROTS then take some of those cheapo attendant dudes as well. You should greatly outnumber him unit-wise since his guys are much more expensive than yours.

What you want to do is advance quickly (in loose formation if he has arty) from multiple directions, taking advantage of any trees or hills you can to block LOS. Focus your cav on running his off the field ASAP. Once you've done that, you can basically surround him with your cav while you bring your infantry into melee from several angles. This will spread his firepower thin as he tries cover everywhere at once.

Send some lovely units out ahead of your main force to take the brunt of the casualties so your good dudes can get there unharmed. You can also suicide ram your cav into his men right as you make your infantry advance, this will prevent them from firing as they get dispersed and stuck in melee with the cav.

tl;dr
-Bring LOTS of cav
-Kill all his cav
-Buttfuck him from all angles

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Diogines posted:

Darth Mod for Shogun 2 has way too many options to configure. What mods, if any, do people recommend? I am not interested in graphics mods, only gameplay ones.

Also, did anyone ever mod Napoleon to get a large, global campaign with the improved AI and other improvements that the game provided?

I think vanilla Shogun is just fine, so I don't use any mods.

As for Empire & Napoleon I think those games are pretty much locked-down in terms of modding ability. Most mods just change balance and add units. CA has received quite a bit of flak about this.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Does anyone here have experience doing coop campaigns in Napoleon? It's on super sale right now and I think it might be fun for myself and a friend. However I know that Shogun 2's coop was super FUBARed forever and even now barely qualifies as "working". I'd like to know how the two compare.

Me and a buddy did a short Napoleon campaign once. Worked well enough, but just in case we made sure to save after every turn.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

LP97S posted:

Started to play Shogun 2 again so I'm getting back into a Total War groove. I have most of the main games, but I see that the Empire and Napoleon DLC is on sale. Should I grab them all or just the campaigns?

Most people play Empire and Napleon with mods that give you more units than you could ever want or use so its not really all that important you get the unit packs.

Definitely get the Penninsular Campaign DLC for Napoleon though, good stuff that is.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm partially surprised that it's not Victorian-era Total War, since that's what FotS seemed to be setting up, but not surprised because everyone desperately wanted it (myself included).

It's a drat shame so much of Empire and Napoleon are locked away from modders. There is an excellent Sudan/Zulu War mod for Napoleon but since they can't edit the campaign map you can only play with the Zulu units in custom battles, and the Sudan campaign is just a re purposed Egypt campaign, except the AI is confused and pretty much sits there and does nothing.

10 minutes of playing that and/or FOTS and it's clear just how fun a Victorian eera Total War game could be, even if it was just a bunch of mini-campaigns.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Geisladisk posted:

Well, excuse me for mixing these two totally arbitrary terms up. :downs:

I'll rephrase my statement: CA makes cool games where I can control a large army of several hundred dudes against another large army of several hundred dudes. These armies will usually proceed to fight one another, usually with the result of one of them emerging victorious. Though CA has in the past exclusively made games set quite a ways in the past, it would please me if they were to use their expertise to make a game set in the Second World War.

COH has a lot of faffing about with base building, which I don't like. Also, it's really, really small scale.

This game you want already exists and has been mentioned in this thread. It's this.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

So is that a photoshop filter they've slapped on there, or does the engine have some sort of thing that makes it look like a painting?

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

So NTW fans, how good is NTW3? seeing it is being made by the Lordz the classic guys behind 19th century Mods with games I must know.

I downloaded it but after reading the notes I found out that only the main campaign is done and the Penninsular campaign hasn't been worked on yet, so it's still exactly the same as vanilla, which is a bummer for me because it's my favorite campaign. So I haven't tried it yet.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

How are they doing the American campaigns? did they cross port some ETW tables and are essentially using the East Coast of North and South America?

What? I'm talking about Peninsular Spain.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Oh, I had no idea they were trying to do an American campaign. I thought that wasn't possible. Would be cool if they pulled it off though.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

The map thing is the real trick. I was under the impression that maps just can't be edited. If they can be, that'd be a huge step, because there are so many awesome mods for NTW I can imagine if only they could have a map built for them.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm trying to test out two different NTW mods to see which I like better. They both install poo poo ontop of the main folder and require a launcher to run. Is it possible to make a copy of my game so that I can install a mod on each copy, then swap them out in my steam folder?

Otherwise I have to reinstall napoleon and the mods (which are not user friendly) every time I want to change them out.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Right click on the game entry on steam and go to Properties. Under Local Files click on Verify Integrity of Game Cache.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

I was looking through Steam's player stats http://store.steampowered.com/stats/ and I noticed that Empire Total War is #15 on the list, just behind Shogun 2 by two spaces, and Napoleon is way further down. What gives? I always had the impression that Napoleon was the better game.

You cannot imagine the unbelievable shitstorm that was unleashed when Empire came out. There were extremely high expectations and when the game was released as a buggy mess where the AI couldn't even load troops onto ships people went ballistic. Many swore never to by another TW game again and were only lured back later by the great reviews Shogun 2 got.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

concerned mom posted:

So is Shogun 2 not actually as mod-able as M2TW? I never looked in to the Shogun scene before.

Shogun 2 is very unmoddable. Its impossible to add anything, you have to work 100% with poo poo that is already in the game. Most mods are just balance + a handful of units made out of existing models.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

concerned mom posted:

Oh crap I was going to try to make my own unit and put it in, is this not possible?

Only if you use only assets that are already part of the game. You can't like, make a new hat and put it in. You'd have to construct the hat out of textures already in Shogun 2.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

In case any of you haven't tried it, the Peninsular Spain DLC for Napoleon Total War owns and you should play it.

Its got a faction mechanic like RoTS where you try and influence the populace to your side, either Pro-France or Anti-France so you end up with agents all over the place assassinating each other, sabotaging, and trying to flip towns from one side to the other.

The Brits are fun cause they start with only one province but a couple solid armies to conquer quickly while France starts with most of the map but has to fight on multiple fronts and try and hold onto areas where the populace that mostly hates you and will spawn guerrilla units to fight against you.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm pretty sure the huge number they listed contains every variation of the same unit based on customization options they talked about.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm reading up on this and it looks like it includes tools for editing the campaign map, so all those mods you ever hoped for for ETW/NTW might be possible now using Shogun 2 if someone is dedicated enough.

I want to see a Victorian mod. FoTS is halfway there already, just need a world map.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Jabor posted:

So with the mega sales on Total War I'm thinking of giving M2, Empire and/or Napolean another shot. What are the best mods for those? Other than the inevitable half-finished Lord of the Rings TC, are there any conversions worth looking at?

Medieval 2 - I dunno
Empire - Darth mod, believe it or not
Napoleon - I prefer 'La Montee De L'Empire', the combat is absolutely perfect

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Faffel posted:

I guess by spoiling I meant trivializing the experience.

Just play the tutorials and then pick a nation marked "Easy". Usually the powerhouse nations are pretty hard to lose with no matter how lovely you are. Depending on which game you're playing sometimes there are smaller scenarios where the objectives are more straightforward, these can be a good way to ease yourself into it without being overwhelmed by open-ended campaigns.

Then once you get the hang of the mechanics start picking more challenging nations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Yeah, playing a ton of Shogun 2 MP games is easy to do because of how quickly it matches you and gets you into games. It was my go-to "15 minutes to kill" game for a long time. Was astonished to see a Total War game with a good multiplayer interface.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

I'm kinda weird in that I actually enjoy playing vanilla vs. FOTS armies, especially at the lower levels.

Nothing cracks me up more than the rage that is emitted from players as their precious gunlines are overrun by my hordes of lovely loanswords and mass cavalry.

That or sitting behind a hill and raining arrows on them from out of their LOS.

The only thing that sucks is how much better the FOTS general skill trees are over the vanilla ones.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Phlairdon posted:

I got the pack myself having never played Empire or Napoleon. But I really want to give Empire a fair try before moving on. I'm having fun with it, but it just feels so slow in comparison to the other games, both in gameplay and performance (even compared to Shogun 2). It just seems to take forever to get anything accomplished, that on top of the long wait in between turns thanks to there being a couple dozen different factions that I have to sit through.

Maybe it's because I'm playing as France where there doesn't seem to be any central focus due to it's territory being spread around. I kinda want to try out a central european country but I'm not sure which one would be good for someone who's still new to the game.

Playing colonial empires in ETW is a slow process, you have multiple maps that you have to flip through and move ships/dudes around in. It's definitely not great for beginners or if you don't want to put in a large time investment.

Also think about getting Darthmod. If you can get through the insufferable star wars themed launcher and main menu its actually a really solid compilation of all the best Empire mods. But yeah, try playing a continental power first, then go for France/UK/Netherlands/Spain when you're ready for a heavier campaign.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Actually as Britain I had some success sending my pikemen overseas to fight the native americans, since the colonial troops at the beginning have horrible aim and no bayonets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah, but plug bayonets are three turns away at the start with most nations man.

Also, I'm going to add they looking jarringly ugly compared to everything else too. Pretty sure they had uniforms.

:shrug: They're already built, might as well use them for something.

That and in Darthmod the native americans are terrifying killing machines that bulldoze my poor conscripted farmers into the dirt.