Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Latin Pheonix posted:

I sort of liked Empire, if only for the enlightenment period and naval warfare, but I was really disappointed in the animations. Troops moving around/fighting/charging felt really floaty, as if they were walking on ice, and every time I saw my cavalry charge a formation instead of a meaty crunch they just slid the enemy infantry around. Coming from medieval 2, that felt really disappointing; in MTW 2 the units felt like they had mass and combat felt impactful but in the ETW engine it just felt like massless floaty polygons that just played preplanned animations. Shogun 2 didn't improve the engine much either, in that respect.

Even Shogun 2 infantry charges are unsatisfying and awkward; men tend to clump in odd ways, and some men will just sort of run into each other without seeming to engage in any sort of combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well I was just being a little too general there. What I mean was it'd be nice if the ships were big enough and our crew was more flexible and had more options to fight out a slightly more cramped smaller version of a proper battle on the ships decks.

Might sound fiddily to some, but I'd enjoy it.

That sounds cool but how would that work when you also have the rest of the battle to worry about? Pausing everything else would be pretty unrealistic and offloading control of the rest of the fleet to the AI... well, we all know how that would turn out.

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Flippycunt posted:

I could swear they've said this like 3 times before.

Half of what we hear about the game prior to release will be total bullshit. At least they finally got rid of their lying shitbag PR manager...

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

When'd they fire his rear end?
http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=455136

Looks like SEGA realized that they needed a guy who will say anything for money elsewhere in the company.

Also, he apparently released a sex tape: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hVO3fC20cMU

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Order your cannons to fire on a bare patch of ground and then press the stop order button.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Tablets Daily
Jun 7, 2006

by Cyrano4747

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do agree on your opinion with the Artillery though. You do not loving get up and brush yourself down after being directly hit by a cannon ball. You lie screaming half bisected.
In NTW, people were only killed if they were actually hit by round shot. There was a knockdown and stagger effect applied to units close to the flight path of the enemy cannonball to simulate soldiers panicking/tripping over each other. Generally, a shot fired head-on into a formation three ranks deep will only kill up to three men.