Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Mindey Tyrone posted:

Is there a Let's Play of Shogun? I can't beat the last tutorial battle because I am a terrible gamer.
The last tutorial is horrible and never something you would be doing. You would be waging that kind of battle with a few dozen archers and sword units fighting off their counters.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&userid=98810&perpage=40&pagenumber=6#post402775771

I think OP should shrink/update the Shogun 2 article at this point. Thing is really huge and it melded features with Rise and Fall.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jun 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
One group will either fight with you or against you, depending on your decision. If you pick Republic, everyone will join against you.

I had no trouble buying from GetGamesGo.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

SeanBeansShako posted:

It really is the goddamn 3D animation of the menu. Like the name change of Total War: <thing> it is one of the several utterly bloody pointless features added with the newer games.

I guess somebody in CA or SEGA Marketeering made a dumb suggestion on something he saw with a console games menu and hung around the development team until it was done.
Does turning down DirectX not make it go faster?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Elephants picking up people seems a little much unless that is how they attack. Maybe they will get rid of Bink.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Is it normal for units in Shogun 2 with several waypoints on the Campaign map, to lag so much when moving?

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Shogun 2 patch notes:
http://wiki.totalwar.com/w/Otomo

The following tweaks have been made to unit balancing based on community feedback.

Armstrong Guns: 1360 > 1300
Gatling Guns: 1700 > 1400
Imperial Guard Cav: 1000 > 1050
Revolver Cav: 1100 > 1000
Mounted Samurai Hero: 1200 > 1000
Yari Ki: 690 > 790
Sabre Cav: +1 melee attack, changed mount to a faster type
Kihetai: 1170 > 1070
Shogunate Guard Infantry: 1260 > 1220
Sharpshooters: 1000 > 900
Tosa Riflemen: Changed animation set to faster firing breech loader animations
Yugekitai: 1500 > 1300
Shinsengumi: +2 morale and melee defence
Red Bear Infantry: 800 > 750
Bow Kachi: + 10 accuracy
Kyoto Police: 750 > 700
Kisho Ninjas: 1090 > 990
All heroes now have auras
Torpedo Boat: 2000 > 1200, cap of 3.
Naginata Monk Cavalry: 800 > 850
Yari Cavalry: 850 > 900
Naginata Attendants: 150 > 220
Naginata Samurai: 800 > 750
Nuns: 850 > 800
Arrow velocity increased by 5 to improve chance of hitting moving targets
Yari Ashigaru: 350 > 370
Yari Samurai: 700 > 650
Fire Bomb Throwers: accuracy set to 30
Nodachi Samurai: 800 > 850
Mounted Gunners: Ammo reduced from 20 > 15
Long Yari: 500 > 520
Wako Raiders: 500 > 550

Additional fixes:

The advisor will no longer refer to allies routing when there are no allies in the battle.

Fixed an issue with the Missionary agent playing a corrupted sound when levelling up.

The correct amount of avatar skill points left to spend should now be correctly shown if more than 5 skills points are saved.

The correct map will now be shown to both players when a match made siege or naval battle is found.

Fixed drop rate on Fall of the Samurai post-battle armour

Optimisation patch upgrades

The optimisation patch for Shogun 2 brings with it a host of key improvements that we’ve made to the core Shogun 2 experience since its release last year. If you own Shogun 2 and Fall of the Samurai, this patch will reduce the hard-drive footprint of your install by 6.6gb (22.4%). If you just own one, you’ll still see an install size reduction.

A 20-40% reduction in initial load times, dependent on machine spec, graphics settings and OS. This primarily boosts game boot-up time.

A series of bugfixes and other optimisation tweaks.

The patch will deploy for all users, whether they purchase the DLC or not, at the same time the Otomo clan is released.

Scalding Coffee fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Nov 30, 2012

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I don't think guns will ever get the break they needed, for balance reasons. Nice to see arrows get that jet engine upgrade. Tough it out, micromanagers.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Dramicus posted:

Whats the proper way to make use of matchlocks? I've recently got the Otomo dlc and have started using matchlocks for the first time in the Sengoku campaign and I can't seem to use them properly. They just seem to be generally inferior to bows, especially bow samurai/monks. They cant fire at the enemy without line of sight, they have shorter range and fire more slowly. The morale damage is nice, but even with rank fire, they cant seem to get more than one volley off before I have to retreat them. Bows can basically keep firing at stuff for the entire duration of the battle, matchlocks seem to only be useful occasionally.

I'm not trying to argue that matchlocks are crap or anything, I just honestly want to know how I should be using them properly. The tactics I've learned from Napoleon or FOTS don't seem to apply to the traditional matchlock units.
It would have been better to have proximity to targets influence the damage and accuracy, but not, thanks to "balance". There might be mod to add that and really show what concentrated fire does to the enemy.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
It would have happened sooner or later. Maybe you should use your navy to land troops at abandoned castles and try to hold out with small stacks.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Brownie posted:

EDIT: Do you actually make more money off a vassal city than you do by just owning it? Because that doesn't really make any sense.
Remember that AI civs in these sorts of games generally get an invisible boost in cash each turn or else they would eventually disband every unit they made.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Trujillo posted:

That's true on very hard and legendary but I think the AI still has to deal with cash on hard and below. Not 100% sure but I know their upkeep costs are higher on easy so I don't so why they'd even bother coding that in if they got unlimited free money.
Something was propping up the Ashikaga's SoD on easy and it wasn't all peasants. It wasn't destitute either. Just a massive force that could have conquered surrounding areas if it wanted.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Captain Diarrhoea posted:

Yeah I agree, the biggest issue with S2's Realm Divide is that it largely threw a massive part of the campaign mechanics out the window. It will be cool to explore if it's an internal faction thing, but I'd also like that it could be avoidable through shrewd play - even if it means the player has to make other tough choices, like purging generals, for example. It would get very samey when players on subsequent playthroughs were always gearing up for the predictable civil war. I trust the developers though, they seem to be refining just about everything.
Having a harsher penalty from expansion would be better. It should be influenced by proximity since you have been invading every nearby neighbor.
Since the number of provinces already determines AI hate and every decent clan wants to rule Japan, diplomacy should turn sour because you earned more than they do.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Panzeh posted:

The problem with no realm divide is you end up just rolling over everyone else because the challenge is over once you're the biggest country in japan. Once you're the biggest and baddest, people should band up against you. Allies will want their place in the sun. It makes sense, just needs to be tweaked a little bit.
That is why it would be dependent on the size of empires instead of everyone arbitrarily gang-banging the human or due to the Ashikaga falling and the new Shogun automatically orders your head.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I think there are workshop mods that makes sieges into big city battles like you see in the RoTK games.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

ManOfTheYear posted:

I'm trying to get into Shogun 2 that has been sitting in my steam catalog and after 9 hours it's very hard for me to get into it. Battles seem so repetive, you try to flank the enemy and just see which unit attacks which and that seems to be it. I haven't gotten far at all (don't even have cavalry, ninjas or monks) but fail to see how much they would change the game. People seem to love this series and I loved civilization so the series seems very interesting, but the first taste of it just doesn't seem to do it for me. What am I doing wrong and will it change? Haven't played any other TW games.
Game has certain RPS elements between units and certain units could have armor (samurai) and/or piercing arrows (samurai bows), which also influences the sway of battle. You are basically sending peasants to get mauled at another hopefully more costly unit, while units to the side will charge in the rear of the brawlers before your peasants rout. Massive morale gains and XP to the survivors.
It is best to start battles with archers picking off guys until their troops rush yours. Learning takes a long time to work things out. Just remember that horses always lose to spears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I forgot about how charge is a rather tricky thing to master. Charge makes your attacks much stronger for a bit of time, but it requires a running start beyond the simple double click for running speed. A generous distance is required, but be careful not to abuse it or stamina drops to where they can't run and morale may as well plummet if your horses are tired and getting piked.
A popular strategy with horses is having at least one of them always charging a unit while the other is breaking off the fight immediately, so that they can get ready for a charge. Hammer and Anvil. Timing is really important in that case.