Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Let me advise you that to even further your game, simply follow my advice: Don't lose.

You're welcome!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

totalnewbie posted:

Let me advise you that to even further your game, simply follow my advice: Don't lose.

You're welcome!

No

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Every time I follow that advice it works! I probably just need a post-it to remind me or something...

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
https://lichess.org/uEZ03eQY/white#4

Sometimes I drop the ball with punishing the Damiano defense, not this time though

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today's speedrun win is a 7 move checkmate as black:

dhamster posted:

https://lichess.org/uEZ03eQY/white#4

Sometimes I drop the ball with punishing the Damiano defense, not this time though

That looked brutal, well done!

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Anyone want to play some bad correspondence on lichess? I'm 1100 rapid which is about 700-800 on chess.com.

https://lichess.org/@/saltfish

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Today's fun quick mate is eight moves long.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
Seems the lesson is here is “never play f6”.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Carefully writing down f5 in a notebook

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Why didn't they take the hanging queen

e: unless they went for d5 just before

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

dhamster posted:

Why didn't they take the hanging queen

e: unless they went for d5 just before

I'm going to guess that the game went 5.Be5 f6 6.Qh5+ Kd7 7.Qg4+ Ke8 8.Bg6#.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

That's awesome

oh no computer
May 27, 2003

34. ... Qe1 35. Qf3 d1=Q 36. Qa8#

I guess this is what they call tunnel-vision :smithicide:

Pretty pissed off with myself to be honest!

oh no computer fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Oct 29, 2021

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

^ Yeah that's part of why I prefer Lichess analysis. Lichess is like "Let's do cold, hard point calculations or checkmate countdowns." Chess.com is like YO YOU WERE WINNING MAN BUT YOU LET IT ALL GET AWAY :smith:

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Holy gently caress that's so brutal. The website is just "Man, don't suck so bad next time, IDIOT."

If I wanted a website to make fun of me I'd go back to Twitter :ssh:or SA

CubicalSucrose
Jan 1, 2013

Phantom my Opera and call me South Park: Bigger, Longer, & Uncut

Artelier posted:

^ Yeah that's part of why I prefer Lichess analysis. Lichess is like "Let's do cold, hard point calculations or checkmate countdowns." Chess.com is like YO YOU WERE WINNING MAN BUT YOU LET IT ALL GET AWAY :smith:

What are the reasons (for some pretty bad player) to play on chess.com as opposed to Lichess? Seems like the biggest thing is that you have to pay to get the same functionality, which seems... not very compelling?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CubicalSucrose posted:

What are the reasons (for some pretty bad player) to play on chess.com as opposed to Lichess? Seems like the biggest thing is that you have to pay to get the same functionality, which seems... not very compelling?

You also get a worse UI and inexplicable articles about political correctness

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

CubicalSucrose posted:

hikaru streams on chess.com so its the website for pros (an actual reason an 1000 chess.com elo player told me)

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I think they pay a bunch of titled players to be exclusive on their site. Name a titled played with more than 100 concurrent viewers on twitch and they're playing on chess.com. The name recognition is huge and they have a bunch of community events. I get why lichess doesn't do that stuff, I mean obviously, but chess.com marketing/community/branding is extremely on point.

I was telling a friend that I prefer lichess and they pointed out that I pay them 5 bucks a month so its not really any different than chess.com... I mean its true. Feels better to donate though.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

there’s a couple of the big hitters that use lichess. rosen is the biggest one probably

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
I vastly prefer how premoves work on chess.com (being able to queue multiple moves up and them taking 0.1 seconds instead of being instantaneous)

I also like that my rating is a little more accurate to what my actual rating would be if I play OTB

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I thought I had a grasp of the caro kann but I keep making mistakes with it. I review my games and sometimes the engine says I'm supposed to swing my queen out to pick at weaknesses in their queenside develoent, or sometimes the board state is really similar and the engie says I'm supposed to advance a pawn to h6, or pin a knight to queen with a Bishop, or just move a Bishop to a safe developing square on my side. I keep mixing up the right moves and I don't really see the logic as to which is which. It's a little demoralizing because sometimes these mistakes lead to me losing a piece, or getting swarmed hard on kingside.

smiling giraffe
Nov 12, 2015
Played a 2400ish on a chess.com arena and beat him Hahahaa (I’m 1400ish)

He was crushing me and I played some dumb bishop sac, then I guess he had a stroke??

https://www.chess.com/live/game/29278166487

smiling giraffe fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 30, 2021

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Playing in a <1400 daily tournament with 5-day move timers and I noticed there was one guy in our group who was playing super slowly, waiting nearly the full timer to make each move. Not just against me, none of his games are even half completed yet. Out of idle curiosity I checked his profile and he has 738 correspondence chess games on the go right now. 738. It's his move right now in over 600 of them. :psyduck:

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

dhamster posted:

I thought I had a grasp of the caro kann but I keep making mistakes with it. I review my games and sometimes the engine says I'm supposed to swing my queen out to pick at weaknesses in their queenside develoent, or sometimes the board state is really similar and the engie says I'm supposed to advance a pawn to h6, or pin a knight to queen with a Bishop, or just move a Bishop to a safe developing square on my side. I keep mixing up the right moves and I don't really see the logic as to which is which. It's a little demoralizing because sometimes these mistakes lead to me losing a piece, or getting swarmed hard on kingside.

Can you share some games with us? While the machine can point out particular lines, a human looking at it can hopefully find some common themes. The goal, after all, is to figure out the right thing to do before it gets to the ‘find the concrete line’ point.

e: also, the computer-optimal move is not always the ‘right’ one, especially when learning a line. More important is to know the thematic moves, and what you’re trying to accomplish. A second- or third-best thematic move will often serve you better than a first-best computer move.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Hand Knit posted:

Can you share some games with us? While the machine can point out particular lines, a human looking at it can hopefully find some common themes. The goal, after all, is to figure out the right thing to do before it gets to the ‘find the concrete line’ point.

e: also, the computer-optimal move is not always the ‘right’ one, especially when learning a line. More important is to know the thematic moves, and what you’re trying to accomplish. A second- or third-best thematic move will often serve you better than a first-best computer move.

https://lichess.org/68mvkUJt/black#35

In this one things were going fine for the most part, but I didn't see how much danger I was in until it was too late.

https://lichess.org/ccGDLwWu/black#23

I didn't hold my defense together very well in this one-- I should have developed my white Bishop

https://lichess.org/95wpz0qR/black#30

I should have kept my d pawn where it was, I think.

These are all bullet games, so there is a fair amount of slop here. But I can't guarantee my development would be any better if I had a little more time.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

is there a term for the dick move where your opponent is clearly losing so they just walk away from the board and make you wait for the timer to expire? gently caress people who do this

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

If I see this happening I start giving them extra time until they give up

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

dhamster posted:

If I see this happening I start giving them extra time until they give up
lol this is great actually

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

jesus WEP posted:

is there a term for the dick move where your opponent is clearly losing so they just walk away from the board and make you wait for the timer to expire? gently caress people who do this

There's a guy doing basically this to me in the same tourney I mentioned, it's been forced mate for about two weeks and he keeps waiting the full 5 days before making his moves and offering me draws as often as he's allowed.

Spite flagging

Splagging

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Such that these are bullet games, it's all the more important to develop properly, stay solid, and generally play schematically. After all, you don't want to play in a way that demands a lot of thought when you don't have time to think. With that in mind:

(1) A common theme in all the games is having to properly finish your development. A big virtue of the Caro over the French is that, by playing c6 rather than e6, you can get your bishop out from c8. Yet in the first two games, you re-entombed your own bishop. Remember that, as Black, you're going to be behind in development just because your opponent will have had more moves than you. That makes it all the more important to prioritize your development.

In all three of the games you linked, your problems arise from you being behind in development, having your pieces in bad squares, and beginning to trade in/open up the centre. In the 3rd game, against dragon_alfa, you burn a move on h6 then play Ne5 before you've developed your dark-square bishop or gotten your king to safety. Because of the relative state of development, it means your opponent is going to have a huge attack if the centre is opened. In your second game, also against dragon_alfa, you burn moves on f5, Bg5, and Nxe5 while your bishop is still on c8. This gives your opponent time and initiative to attack in the centre at a point when you suddenly only have one developed piece.

In the game against Janiiboiii your initial development is better but you still get in to trouble because you leave your knight on h7, out of play. Your opponent has sacrificed a piece for an attack that doesn't work. This means you have an extra piece, but for that piece to be meaningful it actually has to be in the game. Playing Nf5 does the opposite of what you want to accomplish, trading one of your okay pieces for one of your opponent's pieces doing nothing. Suddenly your opponent can play in the middle of the board without the material disadvantage being so relevant, because you never re-activate your knight from h7. Similarly, you never activate your rooks in this game. The c-file is the natural place to put your rooks here, using the semi-open file to attack the weak pawn.

(2) Staying solid is really important in bullet for a couple of reasons. The first is that by keeping your position together, you make it harder for your opponent to formulate an attack. This means they have to spend more time thinking trying to figure something out. (Or, as in your game against Janiiboiii, they just start hopelessly losing pieces.) The second is that it lets you be confident that you have an answer to whatever your opponent is doing, which again lets you move more quickly. In practice, staying solid is about keeping your pieces in good places (so it's tightly related to development), keeping your pieces coordinated, and keeping your pawns together. In all three of your games you left your d-pawn out to hang. That centre pawn is really important to you, so you want it to be secure (usually by having a pawn on e6) and hard for your opponent to attack (usually by your opponent having their own pawn on d4.

(3) As for explaining the particular recommended moves

(3a) move 19 against Janiiboiii: your h-file is weak, in part because it's open and in part because your N is on h7 rather than f6. The suggested move of f5 is because that's the last opportunity to open the bishop to defend h3, stopping them from moving their rook there. The proper way to address the threat was to have earlier played moves to consolidate your kingside defence (maybe 18...Nf6 followed by Rfe8 or f4). Note that while you're up a piece all five of your pieces are in completely different positions on the board. None of them are working together.

(3b) move 13 against dragon_alfa: this is simply about forgetting to defend the pawn on d5. That that pawn was under attack in the first place was because you traded knights on e5 when you were still behind in development. Note again how each of your pieces is kind of doing their own thing. Going back to move 10, if you play Be6 then, you're free to start doubling your rooks on the c-file. Also note how your pawn on f6 is doing a good job keeping your opponent's knight out of e5. It's very solid.

(3c) move 9 against dragon_alfa: Again, you're leaving your d-pawn undefended. You're also trading off pieces when your opponent is ahead in development. Your knight's already good enough on f6, and if you play e6 your opponent's knight on c3 isn't particularly good. Just develop normally: play e6, Be7, castle, and then double your rooks on the c-file.

Hopefully this is a useful start. I'm happy to answer any further questions.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thank you, this is super helpful. Next time I play, I will try to play with these tips in mind-- prioritizing my development over trading/random 'tactics' that end up hurting me in the end. I should really value my tempi more as black since it seems to be screwing me when I fall too far behind on tempo.

As a follow up should I be getting my dark square Bishop out of the back row before my queen's Knight? If so I have been playing this wrong a lot of the time.

e: I think i am sometimes feeling discouraged from developing my white Bishop early because I'll often see them try to attack my King from the Queeenside diagonal and end up with a pinned Knight or worse. But if I can just castle quickly that solves that issue.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 30, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

While there's always exceptions to everything, 'knights before bishops' is a general principle because the bishop can go all the way down the board from its initial square, while the knight takes a few steps before it can contest the centre.

The pin on c6 isn't a big deal. White can, at most, attack it with Bb5, Ne5, and Qa4. Your pawn on b7, R on c8, and Q on c7 or b6 is enough to defend that. White will sometimes take to try and mess with black's pawn structure, but black can usually just push the pawn to c5 and trade it off. White having pawns on b2 and c2 makes it hard to exploit black's weakened queenside structure.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

dhamster posted:

Thank you, this is super helpful. Next time I play, I will try to play with these tips in mind-- prioritizing my development over trading/random 'tactics' that end up hurting me in the end. I should really value my tempi more as black since it seems to be screwing me when I fall too far behind on tempo.

As a follow up should I be getting my dark square Bishop out of the back row before my queen's Knight? If so I have been playing this wrong a lot of the time.

e: I think i am sometimes feeling discouraged from developing my white Bishop early because I'll often see them try to attack my King from the Queeenside diagonal and end up with a pinned Knight or worse. But if I can just castle quickly that solves that issue.

The priority in the Caro usually is the bishops over the knights, just because the Caro tends to lead to more situations where you park the Knight on the seventh rank, which would otherwise block the bishop. Definitely depends on the variation though!

The light squared bishop is key to develop in the Caro, because the advantage of the Caro over the French is that the bishop gets to play. Don’t feel bad about trading it - it’s better than it never getting used.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks, that makes sense. It's hard to tell at this stage what is a real threat and what is fake, so it's good to know I can accept the pin and move my Bishop out there.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Just playing a normal run of the mill game of chess

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Salt Fish posted:

Just playing a normal run of the mill game of chess

Instead of Bxb2, Black had mate in 2...

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Yup, looks like some chess happened.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

Managed to avoid making any mistakes/innaccuracies in this Bullet game with the Caro Kann. I'd say I'm making progress, but I also hung a full queen multiple times today, so that's something I should really stop doing. It's hard not to gently caress up sometimes playing bullet, though.

https://lichess.org/4gLBevwd/black

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

does anyone use chessable? I got an account but I have no idea what to do or where to begin (1050 blitz)