Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
It is probably a good time for the (roughly) biennial chess thread in games. If you want other threads on chess, there is the thread in Ask/Tell here and the megathread in SAS over here.

Discussion about the professional game is probably best served in the SAS thread, although there’s enough overlap between the threads that you can post anything anywhere. This will probably be a thread for forums people to play games against each other.

How doess chess work over the internet?

There are two main ways to play chess on the internet: correspondence and live.

Correspondence chess is a form of chess where players are given a set number of days per move. Originally played through the mail, and later email, correspondence chess can now be played on a number of hub sites. It is very popular since you can keep as many games going as you would like, as well as being able to play as many moves at a time as you would like. Opening databases are allowed, which can make this format especially attractive to people who want to practice multiple games in an opening line simultaneously.

The most popular correspondence sites are:
Gameknot.com
Redhotpawn.com (OrangeKing runs a goon team, I believe)
Chess.com (Has an app integrated with Facebook)

Live chess is similar to OTB chess, where people play a single game beginning-to-end in one sitting. While some people play lengthy time controls, most games go fairly quickly. The normal ‘speed’ of internet chess is known as ‘blitz,’ and sees players given either five minutes or three minutes with two second increment for the game. Among established players, blitz is the established form of ‘casual’ chess, with some people playing upwards of four hours a day.

Instead of websites, live internet chess is often run through clients which you need to download programs to access. The two most popular internet chess clubs are:
Internet Chess Club (pay)
Free Internet Chess Server (free)

There are also other browser-based sites on which you can play, but none of them are very popular. I can add any sites on request.
If you have any questions, feel free to ask away. Myself and a few others work as teachers and will do our best to answer your questions. There is no such thing as a dumb question. (Unless you want to know if it is okay to play the French. It is never okay to play the French.)

We have an IRC channel, #chess at irc.synirc.net. It’s not the most active, but come hang out and maybe get a game.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 3, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

If you want to post your username for any site, I will edit it in here.

Lichess
goon club lljk
Hand Knit - HandKnit
ulmont - ulmont
Jay-Roden - Jay_Roden
genericuser - chilledchess

Chess.com
Zugzwang - zyxt
OrangeKing - Orangeking529
CowonCrack - badnewsbears
BIGFOOT PEE RED - thechessgoat
Twan - Twan709
colbamf - JeffKlein
Vogelfrei - Ambignostic
JayMax - JayMax
The Super-Id - Khasai
Rogue - jrmantei
Tiax Rules All - greattobeirate
Deltron 3030 - Hoff38
DAIRY KING - Dumb_ox
uh zip zoom - bdigia
Tally - bemused
Lutukor - Lutukor
Capuano - Capuano
Control Volume - controlvolume
McCoy Pauley - McCoyPauley
Crosscontaminant - ThomasWinwood
itstime4lunch - time4lunch
Jonked - Jonked
prolecat - prolecat
vyshka - snits
The Whole Internet - -BEES-
Done - SA_Drone
He1ixx - He1ixx
Aggro - AggroSA
busalover - kevezantir
Mr Matey - MikhailTalentless
gohmak - listencloser
Rorac - Kalanco
De Nomoloss - DeNomoloss
dupersaurus - rosencrantzisnotdead
MrMojok - Mr Mojok
ulmont - ulmont01

ICC
Hand Knit - Hand-Knit
OrangeKing - Orangeking
Twan - Twan709
Vogler - Mandelsnut
apsyrtes - apsyrtes
vyshka - snits
schme - schmer
Athaboros - Athaboros

FICS
CowonCrack - badnewsbears
apsyrtes - apsyrtes
zoness - zoness (maybe)
Lutukor - Lutukor
Capuano - ccapua
vyshka - snits
Vogler - Lasaronen

Chess Time
Goose Halo - Fiveagon

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jun 26, 2021

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Of course username "zugzwang" would play chess.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

lemonslol posted:

I didn't see this thread! So I've been thinking of dishing out the dough for an ICC account, but I've heard that most people are well over 1600, and I hear people usually only place Blitz.

The for-pay nature of ICC means that it is more 'serious' players, but you get a ton of toys to play with. It is definitely possible to get full-length games there, even if you won't be able to play quite as often as you could with blitz. Twan, for instance, plays in a 45 45 league, and there are daily 15 0 tournaments.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

Man there's a lot of idiots playing 1. e4 2. Qh5 in sub-1000 blitz world

I really should stop losing to them

What do you play as your first move? On 1.e4 c5 2.Qh5 the best move is actually 2...Nf6! leading to 3.Qxc5 Nxe4 where black has the advantage.

Zugzwang posted:

You can also be like 1. e4 e6 :smug:

*reaches for billy club*

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

BIGFOOT PEE BED posted:

I've been playing d5 to deliberately provoke these open games until I stop loving them up against players I feel like I should be murdering. I seem to recall reading that advice in one of these threads, possibly from Zugzwang.

Does Hand Knit not like the French defense?

Yeah the Scandinavian is a good way to say 'gently caress your prep' and do your own thing.

Also the French is a bad opening for bad people. Don't play it. Philidor supremacy.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Apsyrtes posted:

Maybe this is a better thread for this... RE: that Radjabov-Carlsen game:

That's exactly the line I was considering as the best continuation. When you say "trivially lost" is this the kind of position where a patzer like me would do well to set up the position, let the computer take white and me try and win?

Also, is there something I should look at in particular that you had in mind when you recommended this game as instructive? The thing that stands out for me is the steady and methodical advancement of the pawns by Carlsen as if by some plan decided upon way early in the game.

The instructive part is in how Carlsen pushed the endgame and eventually broke through in the middle with the d3+ intermezzo. It's not the most instructive game ever, but the quality of the chess at the Tal was a little disappointing.

A 'patzer like you' could probably convert the endgame, since the pattern is pretty straightforward. The main theme is d2+=>e3=>Rf1+=>d1=Q. Black will probably not win that way, however, since they will probably start by walking their king around their e4 pawn to settle on Ke3, and only then push d2, Rf1+, etc.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CowonCrack posted:

The big thing for you, and virtually everyone in your position, is endgame technique. And yes, it still matters even in elementary positions like QvPP. In the final position you show, for example, after queening your pawn, the right play is to first get your king into the play immediately. That way your opponent will never have any stalemate bullshit because you'll know how to win stuff like this:

1.Qf3+ Kg1 2.Qe2 h1=Q 3.Kg3

Learn the technique so you don't have to figure it out over the board.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Elementary tactics are so exciting. It's really uncomfortable how I get at the board when, say, I see the opportunity for a smothered mate.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

colbamf posted:

JeffKlein on Chess.com (I am lazy and used facebook)

I was wondering why I out-of-the-blue got a challenge on facebook.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

*snip*

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CowOnCrack posted:

In the future, I was wondering if there is an easy way to share chess games without resorting to lists or sendspace links. If there is a preferred format let the thread know, and I will edit out the long move lists on this posts and any others.

Other than posting the pgns as lumpy text, the only other thing I can think of is colonizing as free public databse like chess5, and loading all games there.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Off the top of my head, two things come to mind. The first is that 5 minutes is actually quite a while, and it's quite okay to burn a minute or two early to get an easy-to-play position. The second is that even if you lose a pawn it's quite okay to be utterly shameless. Not only is there value is getting to 'define' the game, but you can sometimes get away with absolute crap.

Just yesterday I offered my opponent a draw in a dead lost position and he accepted. There is no shame in shamelessness.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CowOnCrack posted:

The problem is that even if you have an easy position, with time controls that low (and skill level presumably not very high) it's a simple thing for your opponent to create enough complications for you that converting the game difficult. As your time runs low he gains an enormous advantage - all he needs is one pawn on the board when your time runs out to win, and anything else is a draw. Until you gain the skill / confidence to very quickly convert easy positions, you will be in this perpetual blitz purgatory where unsound play gets better results on average.

It seems like you're assuming that your opponent has a handle on the complications they induced. Don't do that. Make the natural move and force them to prove that they have any idea what they are doing.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

0.5/2

There's also this failure.

CowonCrack posted:

It's more like, neither player will be able to figure it out with the time allotted, but the one who chooses to take time to work through them often ends up at a disadvantage because they run low on time, and you have to be way ahead of your opponent (like, 10 moves from mating him) or else you lose if he has 1 pawn on the board. Therefore, the dominant strategy (might) be for both players to create mindless complications and hope their opponent either 1) tries to solve them and runs out of time or 2) plays ball, and then the outcome is just very random.
Just make moves. You're not making 'mindless' moves, just the best you can come up with in short time and forcing them to figure things out on their side of the clock. On the internet you don't have to be far enough ahead that you're simply winning, because they are in as hard if not a harder spot than you are.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

E4C85D38 posted:

$20 entrance fee.

You have no idea how jealous I am.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

As a sidenote: you edited your name out in the playername section but left it in as the annotator. Just in case you want to wipe that.

quote:

1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nf6 3. c4 c6 4. Nc3 dxc4 5. a4 Bf5 6. Ne5 Nbd7 7. Nxc4 Nb6 8. e3 e6 9. Bd3 Nxc4 10. Bxc4 Bb4 11. O-O O-O 12. Qb3 a5 13. Na2 Qb6 14. Nxb4 Qxb4
15. Qxb4 axb4 16. Bd2 Nd5 17. Bxd5 exd5 18. Bxb4 Rfe8 19. Bd2 Ra6 20. Rfc1 Rea8
21. a5 Bd7 22. b4 b6 23. Ra3 f5 24. Kf1 Kf7 25. Rca1 b5 26. Ke2 Re8 27. f3 Re6 28. g3 Bc8 29.h4 Ra7 30. Kd3 Ba6 31. Re1 Rae7 32. Bc1 h5 33. Ra2 Rg6 34. Rg2 Bb7 35. e4 fxe4+ 36. fxe4 dxe4+ 37. Rxe4 Rxe4 38. Rf2+ Ke7 39. Bg5+ Ke8 40. Kxe4 c5+ 41. Kd3 cxb4 42.Rb2 Ra6 43. Rxb4 Rxa5 44. Bd2 Ra3+ 45. Bc3 Bc6 46. d5 Bxd5 47. Rxb5 Be6 48.Rxh5 g6 49. Re5 Kf7 50. Rc5 Bf5+ 51. Ke3 Ra4 52. h5 Rg4 53. h6 Rxg3+ 54. Kf4 Rh3 55. Rc7+ Ke6 56. h7 g5+ 57. Kxg5 Bxh7 1/2-1/2

Thoughts:

17.Bxd5 – is f3 a possibility here? The goal is to dislodge the knight and preserve the bishop pair.

19.Bd2? – The bishop looks very inactive here. What I might try instead is a5=>Bc5=>Bb6 with the idea of shutting down black’s space/activity, and keeping open the twin ideas of moving the bishop to the b8-h2 diagonal (and targeting b7) and an a6 break (taking back on c6).

27.f3=>28.g3=>29.h4 – If you want to play this idea, play h4 immediately. Remember, in a slog, you want to be firm about claiming your space. 27.f3 allows ideas like an immediate g5 or even f4. Furthermore, you want to delay g3 so your bishop has a space to get out. Maybe h4=>f3=>Be1=>Bg3. Your pawn structure comes in to play later, with black missing the shot 34.f4!

35.e4 ?! – You have the time to prepare this more. Maybe just something as simple as Rgg1 to get the rook off the vulnerable diagonal.

39.Bg5+?? – Rxg5 -+

53.h6 – Kf3 keeps the winning chances alive, and may in fact be sufficient.

56…g5+ - Equally sufficient but way cooler is the immediate Rxh7.

Broadly speaking, rooks with opposite coloured bishops strongly favours whoever is attacking, since they can target pawns with their bishop that the other player cannot defend. Your goal in such positions, then, should be centred around activating your rooks and getting your king across the centre of the board. Your position suffered from a real lack of open files for your rooks, and there’s a chance that the middle game was, if not drawn, then at least drawable from black’s perspective.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 1, 2012

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CowOnCrack posted:

Most of my club games end by me getting a strong position in the middle game against someone much better, then losing it, and then losing the game. Rarely do I draw so I am at least proud of this. I also do have one strength it seems - finding good natural moves very quickly. I seem to have good knack for finding solid moves with a sort of 'gut' positional feeling. Often I make lots of these moves and plans just come together well, with pieces finding great squares, and strong positions get built, and there is practically no calculation, visualization, or time required on my part. Actually, time only becomes a problem when I actually start to try and calculate - I waste enormous amounts of time and rarely verify anything conclusively. This pushes me to just avoid doing it entirely, especially when my time starts running low. The only problem comes when there are of course situations where your gut instinct is wrong, and if you never check your ideas with analysis, your strong positions will be blown away 99 times out of 100 by that single error.

I want to focus on this part.

Acquiring strong/advantageous positions you don't know how to win, and then subsequently losing them, is a natural part of the learning curve. And, really, it should be an expected one: with so much of chess being experience then it makes sense that we mishandle positions the first several times we face them. Here's a game I played a year ago where I got a superior position that I couldn't convert, and ended up losing.

As you play these positions more and more you'll develop a familiarity which will allow you to spend more time on thematic moves and less time having to think things through.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'll edit you into the master list once you're a little more sure of your name.

On that note, is there anyone I have missed?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

This thread could use some more games. Here's a sweet blitz game I just played.

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 e6 6. Be3 Be7
7. Be2 a6 8. Qd2 Nbd7 9. O-O-O Qc7 10. g4 Nc5 11. f3 b5 12. g5 Nfd7
13. b4 Nb7 14. f4 Nd8 15. f5 O-O 16. f6 gxf6 17. gxf6 Nxf6
18. Bh6 Kh8 19. Bxf8 Bxf8 20. Qg5 Bg7 21. Rhg1 Ne8 22. Ncxb5 axb5
23. Nxb5 Qb6 24. Nxd6 Qxb4 25. Nc4 f6
White to move and win
26. Qxg7+ Nxg7 27. Rxd8+ Ne8 28. Rxe8+ 1-0

He really let me get away with one by not pushing b4, when my knight would have been pushed to b1. I think, to hold off the attack, he had to at some point play f6, pushing back the my queen and let his laterally defend the Bg7, but he might be too backwards at that point.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Attorney at Funk posted:

Can anyone recommend a primer on chess for someone who doesn't know anything more advanced than "how the pieces move"? I'm asking for a, uh, friend

This is hard to say without knowing exactly where you're at. If you're not much beyond moving the pieces, then you'll probably do best by finding a friend who knows the game and picking basics up from them. Most elementary literature is at the kids level and most adults would find that tedious and condescending.* I also think that trying to pick up chess through books is like trying to learn a language through the dictionary.

There are two elements which I think are central for moving beyond just shuffling the pieces: vision and aesthetic sense. For board vision, if you have the stamina, find a repository of low-level tactics (like mate-in-two level) and go through them. I had 1001 brilliant ways to checkmate when I was younger, and that helped me considerably: it breaks down problems not just by move length but also by theme (e.g. queen sacrifice). Aesthetic sense is important for being able to develop the ability to evaluate a position, what is good and what is bad. For this, I recommend playing a game of pawns against pawns, with the goal being to get a pawn to the other side of the board. As an added benefit, this won't only help with understanding pawn structures but also foresight since pawns only require move-counting.

There are a couple of other useful teaching games that you might want to try.

Sheep and wolves: White has eight pawns and black one rook. White's goal is to get a pawn to the other side of the board. The point of the game is to teach supported pawn structures, and the value of coordination of 'lesser' pieces.

Tempo game: White has a king and four central pawns, while black has a full set. White gets two moves every turn. Game ends with checkmate. Black can, theoretically, win every time but I find that white wins most often. The point of the game is to show the importance of tempi.

If you have any more specific questions I'd be happy to answer.

*As a side note, I think that kids' ability to do tedious tasks (like solve masses of low-level tactics) is part of what makes them able to learn the game so much better.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

CowOnCrack posted:

1001 Brilliant Sacrifices (just like HandKnit recommended, I am working through this right now)

I was actually talking about 1001 Brilliant Ways to Checkmate, which is also Fred Reinfeld but a different book. Incidentally, I stumbled across this which seems to be an amalgamation of both books.

I first learned from a Latvian book titled Saha Rieksti, which seems to be the basis for Reinfeld's books. Here are some sample problems.

(1) Difficulty:

1.Qxh6+ gxh6 2.Rxh6#

(4) Difficulty:

1.Qe7+ Qg5 2.Qe4+ Qg4 3.Qe3 Zugzwang

(6) Difficulty:

1.h7+ Kg7 2.h8=Q+ Kxh8 3.Kf7 +-

(8) Difficulty:

1.Ba7 Ra1 2.Kf4 Rf1+ 3.Bf2 Rxf2+ 4.Ke3

And, just for fun, (10) Difficulty:

1.Rxe7+ Kf8 2.Rf7+ Kg8 3.Rg8+ Kh8 4.Rxh7+ Kg8 5.Rg7+ Kh8 6.Qh5+ Kxg7 7.Qh7+ Kf8 8.Qh8+ Ke7 9.Qg7+ Kd8 10.Qf8+ Qe8 11.Qe6+ Qe7 12.Nd6+ Ke8 13.Qf8#

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Just played a hell of a game with the black pieces:

1.c4 Nf6 2.Nc3 e6 3.e4 c5 4.Nf3 Nc6 5.e5 Ng4 and then white ragequit.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

singe posted:

Game 1 [Black], played a hippo since I was really nervous and I didn't have anything prepared for 1. d4 g6 2.e4, I only really studied 1. d4 g6 2. c4 (which occurred in game 4, the only one I won). I really should have drawn this game, I think I played solidly until the last 5 minutes of the game where I speed up my play since my opponent was under time pressure and I had a 20 minutes on him, he was down to 2 minutes when I blundered].

The main thing here is that you have to find a way to be more active. In openings like the hippo and the Pirc where you initially cede space without a central pawn you can't afford to wait too long. What I might try in this game is 11...Nc6. There are three ideas behind this. The first, and simplest, is that his queen is much better than yours so you want to either trade them or push his back. The second is that Nc6 allows the f5 push which is often very good if you can get away with it (you have to be able to defend e6). The third is that you can relocate your knight to c4 via a5. The transient pressure on d5 doesn't hurt either. After 11...Kh8 your position begins to look very dire. Even if you may theoretically have defences, the game goes in one direction from that point and it's very easy for you to blunder.

quote:

Game 2 [White], messed up a tactic on move 16, I saw the knight fork, but thought g4 worked (I think it does via a different variation, should not have played 17 Nxg6, that's just a blunder, Qa8 would have been much better. Also I don't think I needed to play 5.h3, Nf3 would have been better.
You played this very well, and it's a shame about the blown tactic. The one thing I want to note is that I don't know if it is safe to take on a8 because of Qb6-Bb7 ideas. 13.Nxd4 might be an improvement, because you keep the pressure on e7 and there doesn't seem to be a good way to unstick the knight on e4. Best play for black is probably Bxd4 Rxd4, where black's attack is neutered and white's space advantage should prove decisive.

quote:

Game 3 [Black], played the Nimzowitsch defense he played an unconventional and probably unsound response which is probably where I got such a advantage but I blundered it away as usual.
As a side note, I'm note a fan of 2...e5 since that's a line of the King's Gambit Declined that black usually fares very poorly in.

The key move in this game is 13...h6, giving him the initiative. You should play h5 immediately. Your goal is to rip open the h-file, and you're in position to sacrifice your queen to do it. Sample line off the top of my head: 13...h5 14.Bf6 h4! (15.Bxh8 hxg3 15.hxg3 Nf5 16.Bf6 Nfxg3+ 17.Kh2 Nxf1+ 18.Qxf1 g3+ 19.Kh1 g2+) 15.Bxh4 Nf5!! 16.Qe1 and then whichever of Nxh4 or Be7 is more crushing (probably Be7).

quote:

Game 4 [Black], I was studying up on the Sniper/Dzinzdi Indian so I was pretty prepared, though I still managed to blunder, except he blundered right back and also did a questionable pawn capture with a pawn instead of a rook which gave me a passed pawn. I probably displayed bad end game technique. I think I was losing severely until move 35. I thought 32 worked but in hindsight it didn't, and my opponent didn't catch it.

Generally I can't say I like the opening, but to me the key move is 15...Qa6. You need to be active and work around the a4 square, which has to be a kind of fulcrum for you in this position. Either Qa4 or Ba4 is a necessity. Then you hung the pawn the next move and it was just kinda over. It was very nice of him to trade queens, since taking them off lets you hold the position. You should certainly take when he plays 24. Qb3. After you trade on b5, you don't want to push either of your pawns. Just leave them there because you want to lock the position if he pushes (and walk your king kingside). Your idea is probably to push f5 to prevent e4 and keep his d-pawn weak, keep the position semi-closed while expanding, and look for a moment to swap off the rook such that your passed c-pawn can be decisive.

Overall I think you played very well, and with a bit of smoothing can certainly merit an 1800 rating very quickly.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

singe posted:

I'm thinking of learning the smith-morra gambit as a response for the sicilian. I know Esserman's book (Mayhem in the Morra) has been highly regarded so I think I'll pick it up. It seems like a neat constant attacking style that might mix up the monotony of the constant Najdorfs I've been facing. Does anyone have any experience with it? I've been playing a couple games on chess.com blitz and it seems to be working out well but I don't know how it'll hold up in standard OTB situations.

Black can force white into an Alapin, and will in fact often choose to do just that. After 1.e4 c5 2.d4 cxd4 3.c3 both 3... Nf6 and 3...d5 are very popular. If you want to screw around in the Najdorf, there's a line that starts 1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.c3 Nf6 4.Bd3. That will get you both a different setup and a reasonably dynamic game.

fe: If you want to be a dick, 4.Be2 is also a move. You'll win a few cheapos after 4...Nxe5 5.Qa5+.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

singe posted:

Blocking in the d pawn temporarily just looks bad to my untrained eye, but there are probably lines.

If anyone wants to play me in some blitz games my username is amacing on chess.com

The bishop retreats to c2 fairly quickly, and then you (usually) play d4 giving you a e4-d4-c3-Bc2 setup that you sometimes see in closed Ruy Lopezes.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

A conceptual hurdle to get over would be to not think of a queen trade as a queen "sacrifice." Learning to play with the queens off is a huge advantage as a lot of players are, if not worse at endgames, certainly afraid of them.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Is it anything in particular?

Aronian's game right now is defined by extremely sharp, practical play. I would compare him to Topalov from half a decade ago where he's able to win games purely through creative home prep. This means that a lot of his play will (a) violate principles, which will make it especially inaccessible to a weak master like KC and (b) if his goal is to make the position unnavigable to high 2700s then we shouldn't expect a 2200 to understand it.

The other possibility is that Aronian has hosed up a couple games recently so maybe it was that?

Carlsen's play is much more straightforward. He's actually a very basic player.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

So I just lost my 2500th game in ICC's 5-pool. I blundered a winning position against an IM. Oh well.

Actually, my chess has been really weird lately. My ICC 5-pool rating has been above 2200 for about a month now, and has occasionally snuck over 2300. Meanwhile, my correspondence rating is just about at a 50-month low. Also my OTB chess has been garbage as hell. Last night I straight hung a pawn out of the opening. Luckily my opponent sucked so I won anyway, but drat.

The time control was weird as hell, too. 36 moves in 75 minutes; 24 moves in 60 minutes; 15 minutes for game. What?

White: 1645
Black: Technically unrated (~2100)

1. e4 d6 2. d4 Nf6 3. Nc3 e5 4. Nf3 Nbd7 5. Bc4 Be7 6. Be3 O-O 7. h3 c6 8. Qd2 b5 9. Bd3 Rb8 10. dxe5 dxe5 11. Bxa7 Ra8 12. Be3 b4 13. Ne2 c5 14. O-O Qc7 15. c3 Bb7 16. Ng3 c4 17. Bc2 Rfd8 18. cxb4 Nc5 19. Qc3 Nd3 20. Bxd3 Rxd3 21. Qxe5 Bd6 22. Qg5 h6 23. Qh4 Bxg3 24. Qxg3 Qxg3 25. fxg3 Rxe3 26. e5 Nd5 27. b5 Ra5 28. a4 Nb6 29. Rfd1 Bxf3 30. gxf3 Rb3 31. Ra2 Rxa4 32. Rxa4 Nxa4 33. Rd8+ Kh7 34. Rb8 Rxb2 35. Rc8 c3 36. b6 Rxb6 37. Rc4 Rb2 0-1

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I don't really have comp for the a7-pawn. While the computer only spits something in the 0.5-0.6 range, I can't both maintain that and have any play.

Also the line where I recoup the piece is actually really complicated, facilitated by him choosing just about the worst actual path. So, for instance, if he retreats his queen instead of taking on e5 I'm basically just down two pawns. Similarly, after Bd6, he actually has a line that starts with 22.Qb5 Bxg3 23.Bb6 which the computer spits as equal (I haven't fully looked at it yet). Of course, after getting to that point, I would happily take equality there.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Another gratuitously awful game on my part. I made an egregious cognitive blunder on move 18, forgetting that he could play cxd4. Which is, mind you, especially odd since I had been thinking around dxc5 myself. Luckily for me his play was extremely basic, which let me lock the queenside and then blockade the centre with two sets of double isolated pawns. Then he screwed up and I killed him.

I guess this game shows the value of time management, understanding pawn structures, and rudimentary tactics. Time control was 30 moves in 60 minutes followed by 15 minutes for the game.

[White ~2100]
[Black 1850]
[Result "1-0"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Nc3 e5 4. Bb5 d6 5. d3 Be7 6. h3 Nf6 7. a4 O-O 8. Bg5 h6 9. Bxf6 Bxf6 10. Nd5 Be6 11. O-O Bxd5 12. exd5 Ne7 13. Bc4 Ng6 14. g3 Qd7 15. Kh2 a6 16. a5 Be7 17. c3 f5 18. d4 cxd4 19. cxd4 e4 20. Ng1 Bf6 21. Ne2 h5 22. Nf4 Nxf4 23. gxf4 Qf7 24. Rg1 Rae8 25. Qd2 Kh7 26. Rg2 Rg8 27. Rag1 g6 28. b3 Qe7 29. Qe3 Rg7 30. Be2 Reg8 31. Qd2 Kh6 32. Rg3 Bh4 33. R3g2 g5??

34. fxg5+ Bxg5 35. Rxg5 Rxg5 36. h4 e3 37. hxg5+ Kg6 38. Qxe3 Qf7 39. Bxh5+ Kxh5 40. Qh3+ Kg6 41. Qh6#

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I think the critical lines will start with Bf1. 37...Bh4!? doesn't seem to accomplish anything, since white has 38.Qa1 and everything holds. A promising idea I haven't been able to fully look into yet is 37...Rxf1! 38.Rxf1 f3! 39.Rxf3 Ke7 and then seeing if white has an answer to Bd2. The first line I checked was 40.Nf4 e5 41.Ne2 Bd2 42.Qa1 Qc4 which seems to win for black.

Black's position looks quite comfortable, especially if they can safely play e5 at any point, and can probably ride simplifications to a winning endgame if they have to.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Nov 11, 2012

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I'll try find time for more comments later, since it's a complex middle game, but the one thing that jumped out at me is that 45.Ra3 does in fact seem to punt the game.

45.Ra3? Kf4! 46.Ra1 (46.g6 b2 -+) b2 47.Rb1 Rc2+ 48.Kg1 Kxg4 =
The game is at least drawn as white cannot lift their bishop without black playing Rc1+, which trades rooks and leaves white with an unpromotable h-pawn.

DAIRY KING posted:

Just set up a chess.com account: Castleofcocks
I think the second post is now up to date with everybody.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Just a warning, last time we tried to run a tournament it fizzled out with, I believe, well less than half of the games even played. Running it in/through GBS might be a good idea to keep the profile up, which would hopefully in turn keep people participating.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Single elim can be kinda rough when people are just playing for fun, although I guess it lets you get through tournaments quickly with simple brackets. It can also lead to people getting the short end of the stick with regards to colour draws. And, to that end, you should decide on how you are going to sort out colours, since single elim means you won't be able to just have people alternate every game.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Can you explain what was going on with 23.Qxh7+ because I think that move needs some explaining.

Also it seems like you focussed too hard on the setup you wanted, and neglected to take the very free pawn on d6 in the opening.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Great endgame tactic from Karjakin-Morozevich at Tashkent yesterday. White to move and win:

1.Rc6!! bxc6 2.b6 +-

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Rc6 is actually the only winning move (and, accordingly, black's Rc7+ turned a drawable game into a lost one). Black is able to draw the game through either sniping white's g-pawn or just pushing h4 to create a passed g-pawn. What follows is a situation where white can't both push his pawn and stop black from pushing.

e: All lines start with bxa6

2e: The London Classic starts today. I'm playing two tournaments, tonight's blitz and tomorrow's rapid. Can't wait to actually see the venue; The closest I've ever played to a tournament this high class is the 2009 Toronto Open, and even that wasn't that close.

Hand Knit fucked around with this message at 13:51 on Dec 1, 2012

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

I've got some free time Monday so I may check it out. I may also not need to check it out since I suspect they will have a considerable presence at the tournament hall. Are you playing in anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Trent and Gordon are my favouriate commentary team. Also it is, apparently, "pants o'clock."