Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

You can plug the address into antennaweb.org and see what it says for the station. Antennas work better higher up, so if you can put it in the attic or on the roof, that'll help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
One other thing to note, I believe this is the first year that it's not automatic that NFC games are on Fox and AFC games are on CBS. I looked at the schedule, and yes there are seven games on CBS, but others on Fox/ABC/NFB. So at the absolute worst, they'll be able to get some of the games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

Two other suggestions: I have one of those old huge Yagi antennas. I realize it would be a pain in the rear end, but it may just be what you need because I get signals from both Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and both of those cities are 30+ miles from me on both sides.

Second suggestion if the Paramount Plus doesn't work, see if your local cable/internet company offers basic cable with just the local channels. Around here it's $20/month for it. It sucks to basically re-pay for something you should get, but for ease of use for your parents, it may be worth it until the dispute is solved. (Yes I know this is the cutting cable thread, but hey you do what you have to do.)

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!

How far away are they from the transmitter for this station? We're around 30-40 miles out from all our "local" broadcasters, but I've got no problem getting them OTA with a larger GE directional antenna. It's pretty large, but it's mounted in our attic near the access hatch, so the only time I've had to deal with it was installing and aiming it.

If you can get a cable up into their attic space, quit screwing around with cheap unpowered panel antennas and get a larger amped antenna mounted up as high as possible, and use antennaweb to help aim it in the right direction.

Edit: something like this. https://a.co/d/coskEHX

PitViper fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Aug 7, 2023

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Looks like you will be able to get NFL RedZone on the TV this year from the NFL directly on NFL+ Premium. It will be $15 a month or $80 a year for NFL+ Premium.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

One other thing to note, I believe this is the first year that it's not automatic that NFC games are on Fox and AFC games are on CBS. I looked at the schedule, and yes there are seven games on CBS, but others on Fox/ABC/NFB. So at the absolute worst, they'll be able to get some of the games.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/team/schedule/_/name/pit/pittsburgh-steelers

Two other suggestions: I have one of those old huge Yagi antennas. I realize it would be a pain in the rear end, but it may just be what you need because I get signals from both Baton Rouge and Lafayette, and both of those cities are 30+ miles from me on both sides.

Second suggestion if the Paramount Plus doesn't work, see if your local cable/internet company offers basic cable with just the local channels. Around here it's $20/month for it. It sucks to basically re-pay for something you should get, but for ease of use for your parents, it may be worth it until the dispute is solved. (Yes I know this is the cutting cable thread, but hey you do what you have to do.)

Do you live in my hometown? New Roads?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Do you live in my hometown? New Roads?

Close, Fordoche.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Close, Fordoche.

Hey! My parents live in Lottie!

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Hey! My parents live in Lottie!

Small world. :) My grandparents lived there, so I spent many years at their house growing up. My first job was at the Buckhorn in Lottie!

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Silly Burrito posted:

Small world. :) My grandparents lived there, so I spent many years at their house growing up. My first job was at the Buckhorn in Lottie!

If you were right behind the Buckhorn, walked across the tracks & jumped the fence, you'd be in my parent's backyard! Small world indeed!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Burden posted:

Looks like you will be able to get NFL RedZone on the TV this year from the NFL directly on NFL+ Premium. It will be $15 a month or $80 a year for NFL+ Premium.

I've never subbed to anything NFL... Would this get me every Steelers game? ( I love out of market)

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Krime posted:

I've never subbed to anything NFL... Would this get me every Steelers game? ( I love out of market)

No this only gets you in market games and only on your phone. If you want out of market games you have to get NFL Sunday Ticket through YouTube. If you don't have YouTube TV it is $400 without RedZone and $440 with RedZone.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

Burden posted:

No this only gets you in market games and only on your phone. If you want out of market games you have to get NFL Sunday Ticket through YouTube. If you don't have YouTube TV it is $400 without RedZone and $440 with RedZone.

Thanks... I don't love the NFL that much. I'll just catch what's on OTA

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

And that's only the sunday afternoon games. It was like $50 off for awhile but still too much to pull the trigger.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm a dummy and picked up Sunday Ticket just because years ago I promised myself I would as soon as DirecTV lost the rights. Probably a good year for it as a Packers fan, guessing we don't get as many nationally televised games without Rodgers as QB.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
On 7/20, I ditched Dish Network. They were supposaed to send me boxes to return their equipment. The guy said it would take 5-7 business days (although the recording says 15 days). I got an email stating I need to return the equipment in 30 days or face a charge (about $400). As of today, I still don't have the boxes.

I called yesterday and was told the boxes were shipped on 8/1. Obviously, this is a lie. Now they say it'll be another 5-7 business days to get the boxes. I got a new email telling me I need to send the stuff back in 13 days or face the charge.

I'm pretty sure if they try to charge me, I can call my credit card company and fight the charge.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I’ll give Xfinity some credit, the local store I dealt with was always excellent for either picking up or returning equipment. Terrible on the phone, but face to face I never had anything other than a great experience. Polar opposite of AT&T who I’m now with for fiber and wireless. I’m guessing Dish never had any brick & mortar stores? I’ve never noticed any. Maybe kiosks at the mall just to sell you stuff but not actually handle equipment?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

EL BROMANCE posted:

I’ll give Xfinity some credit, the local store I dealt with was always excellent for either picking up or returning equipment. Terrible on the phone, but face to face I never had anything other than a great experience. Polar opposite of AT&T who I’m now with for fiber and wireless. I’m guessing Dish never had any brick & mortar stores? I’ve never noticed any. Maybe kiosks at the mall just to sell you stuff but not actually handle equipment?

Dish only has installers. No actual stores. When I first got Dish in 1997, they were in a kiosk in the local mall. Back then, you had to buy the equipment. In the couple of times I've had to send back defective equipment, I got the return box in 2-3 days.

I don't know why they're being dicks now.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Mister Kingdom posted:

Dish only has installers. No actual stores. When I first got Dish in 1997, they were in a kiosk in the local mall. Back then, you had to buy the equipment. In the couple of times I've had to send back defective equipment, I got the return box in 2-3 days.

I don't know why they're being dicks now.

1. They lost you as a customer. They don’t give a poo poo.

2. Because the amount of people who they do this to and don’t dispute the charge for being late on returning the equipment makes it profitable.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

jabro posted:

1. They lost you as a customer. They don’t give a poo poo.

2. Because the amount of people who they do this to and don’t dispute the charge for being late on returning the equipment makes it profitable.

Well, they picked the wrong person for #2. I am making sure to take pictures of the equipment before I send it back.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

phosdex posted:

And that's only the sunday afternoon games. It was like $50 off for awhile but still too much to pull the trigger.

Fuckin' seriously? Stupid me thought this would get better when DTV lost the rights, but no SNF/MNF is a dealbreaker, especially at that ridiculous price.

So the easy way for the past several years has been to VPN to another country and buy NFL Gamepass International. This year, they now have that service operated by DAZN, who seems to be better about detecting VPNs. They sent my account over, complete with billing info, and I've only ever managed to do the password reset, since every time I try to get into my account it says to either turn off my VPN, that I can only access DAZN from the country I created the account in (which I don't remember, was hopping all over the place), or that it's not offered in my country.

Fortunately, when they went to autorenew me, my card issuer questioned the charge and I told them no, I didn't authorize it, since I've never been able to successfully get in to authorize anything. My DAZN account is on hold, but I'd like to at least get in and strip my CC info or delete the account, but does anyone have a way to do that from the US? And even better, a way to watch the games if one were to be able to get to the service?

After all these years of giving the NFL money to watch games, even if it was in a way they disapproved of, I may be back to pirating. At least that seems to have gotten way more reliable. :v:

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Absolutely get evidence of everything going forward. In the UK I had to fight for months because I got a black mark on my credit because when I returned a handset they sent me a return label with the wrong address on it! Unbelievable.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I guess this probably wouldn't help with that specific station but as an anecdote that may help someone else's parents I'll say that mine retired and moved away to a location closer to Pittsburgh than D.C., but still only wanted their local D.C. news and sports. They just set my house as the billing address and use a local installer who just doesn't give a poo poo.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

this might be a little backwards for the thread but is there anyone looking for an HDHomeRun Prime and might have an OTA Antennae model they'd want to trade?

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
This will be $5 in a year too.

https://twitter.com/engadget/status/1705180389273219438?s=20

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

lol good maybe this will finally convince my wife we dont need to keep paying for prime

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

I ditched prime at the beginning of the year, my purchasing went down and didn't really miss any of the content they had.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

I dumped Amazon Prime earlier this year and my plan is to renew it occasionally for a month at a time as needed for shipping and then enjoy the video as a side benefit.

$3 is such a small amount compared to how annoyed I would be if I didn’t spend it… well done Amazon, very evil.

Fozzy The Bear
Dec 11, 1999

Nothing much, watching the game, drinking a bud

Photex posted:

I ditched prime at the beginning of the year, my purchasing went down and didn't really miss any of the content they had.

Same, it was crazy how much worse shopping on amazon is without Prime. It goes from free 1-2 day shipping, to 10-14 days. At that point I'm much more motivated to just get in my car and go to a physical store.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Walmart+ In-Home delivery was already calling the utility of Prime into question at my house.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Stuff like that is why my next e-reader won't be a Kindle and if they make it annoying enough to go through the ad options I'll probably just cancel. Half the things I want to watch there aren't actually free with Prime anymore anyway. Amazon just keeps making their services worse and more expensive.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Fozzy The Bear posted:

Same, it was crazy how much worse shopping on amazon is without Prime. It goes from free 1-2 day shipping, to 10-14 days. At that point I'm much more motivated to just get in my car and go to a physical store.

So for me even pre covid “free 1-2 day” shipping often ends up being “say it will be 2 days then shows up in 4-5” more often than not.

We largely switched to having everything delivered only on Tuesday and ends up still having 1-2 items arrive on Tue and everything else showing up over the rest of the week, even if they were ordered 4-5 days before Tuesday. I find the 1-2 day shipping to be the exception now and not the norm.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
gently caress that, amazon can join the month-at-a-time rotation queue after Wheel of Time is over.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

effika posted:

Stuff like that is why my next e-reader won't be a Kindle and if they make it annoying enough to go through the ad options I'll probably just cancel. Half the things I want to watch there aren't actually free with Prime anymore anyway. Amazon just keeps making their services worse and more expensive.

I know there’s an ereader thread but if you do get away from the Kindle ecosystem, I recommend the Kobo Libra 2. Took the place of my broken Oasis and I really enjoy using it.

Back on topic, we cancelled Prime when it got to $150 a year with tax. It’s a bit inconvenient when we need small stuff but it wasn’t worth it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yikes. So much for ATSC 3.0

https://www.theverge.com/2023/9/30/23897460/lg-drops-atsc-3-0-support-fcc-broadcast-tv

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It’s been a loving disaster.

Kupo!
Sep 14, 2009

Just follow me through this wall, I can show you things
no mortal eyes were meant
to see.

I got the ATSC 3.0 HDHomerun and that functionality has been effectively useless because Plex doesn’t support audio for it because FFMPEG hasn’t added support for it. It still works as an ATSC 1.0 tuner, so despite living in an ATSC 3.0 market that’s all I use. A waste of money.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

And we all thought electronics companies hoarding critical patents was bad, leave it to Sinclair to show us those were the good old days.

No TV service trip report month 3: went over my data cap for the second time in 3 months, decided to pay the extra for unlimited which will still be $50 less than when I had cable TV. Fun note: Comcast will sent you an alert when you hit exactly 100% but not when you hit 50 or 70 and could do something about it. NBC seems to have put more Premiere League games on TV and not Peacock than last season which is wack. Finally canceled Netflix to be put in the rotation where I sign up for a couple months to catch all the stuff I missed. Definitely canceling Prime once the ads start. Thinking about signing up for Youtube premium.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

qirex posted:

And we all thought electronics companies hoarding critical patents was bad, leave it to Sinclair to show us those were the good old days.

Sinclair doesn’t have anything to do with it…they want LG to have atsc3 tuners in their TVs.

Also, tuners are a stop gap until the home gateways become common.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Kupo! posted:

I got the ATSC 3.0 HDHomerun and that functionality has been effectively useless because Plex doesn’t support audio for it because FFMPEG hasn’t added support for it. It still works as an ATSC 1.0 tuner, so despite living in an ATSC 3.0 market that’s all I use. A waste of money.

Until the DRM nonsense, the audio codec thing has been the biggest pain in this rollout. I know at one point devices were sending the ac4 stream out to the net to decode then bringing it back in to their client. Absolutely absurd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Netflix, after making a bunch more profit by cracking down on password sharing, announced today that they are raising the rate of its highest plan by $3.

Netflix premium will be $22.99 a month.
Netflix basic will be $11.99.

Man, they are making it hard to justify paying for it.