Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

It should be. I recycled my Voom receiver last year. You need a non-deact receiver, remote, and the tuner module. For whatever reason I remember component outputs but not HDMI though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, it looks like Target is clearing out their Roku 2 XS (Angry Birds edition) inventory ahead of the Roku 3. Mine has about 30 on sale for $69.99

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

spaztaz posted:

There isn't a public Youtube channel, but there are workarounds.

I bought a Roku 2 XS recently and I found it strange. Apparently this VideoBuzz thing is the best workaround?

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030126/how-to-add-youtube-to-your-roku-box.html

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are running Plex then there is a youtube channel you can add through your Plex server also.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?
I'll be moving at the end of July/beginning of August and I'm ready to be done with cable. I'm planning on keeping an eye out for sales on Roku/Boxee units between now and then and buying something when the price is the best. Is there any reason this doesn't make sense? Alternately, suggestions for places to keep an eye on for this sort of sale? Woot.com is the only site that I already follow regularly that might come through.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

If you are running Plex then there is a youtube channel you can add through your Plex server also.

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still messing around with this. There's so many free/private channels that it'll take a while to install and explore them. The only question that remains is how many I can cram onto the unit.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

BobTheCow posted:

I'll be moving at the end of July/beginning of August and I'm ready to be done with cable. I'm planning on keeping an eye out for sales on Roku/Boxee units between now and then and buying something when the price is the best. Is there any reason this doesn't make sense? Alternately, suggestions for places to keep an eye on for this sort of sale? Woot.com is the only site that I already follow regularly that might come through.

A new Roku box was just released this month so used previous-generation ones are probably more plentiful than usual right now.

Zogo posted:

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. I'm still messing around with this. There's so many free/private channels that it'll take a while to install and explore them. The only question that remains is how many I can cram onto the unit.

One advantage of using Plex vs. some other channel for youtube is that it is less likely to be limited by the bandwidth available through that other channel.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

withak posted:

A new Roku box was just released this month so used previous-generation ones are probably more plentiful than usual right now.

Before I went shopping for a new one I did check eBay for a while and used ones seemed to be selling for too high. I swear they were going for 50-60 dollars. I chose to just pay the extra $20 and get a newer unused one.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Can someone explain how UNblock US works? Like, I know what a DNS server is, but I have no idea how that's hiding my location.

It's also working well, and not having to put in any information besides a spare email address to get a trial is pretty tops in my book.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
So RCN is now encrypting basic local TV signals that you could've accessed through your internet line. Comcast is reportedly going to start doing so as well. Also, to be extra dicks, you'll need a box for every TV and it doesn't even have to be an HD box.

Looks like my go-to for local broadcast TV is going away. Maybe I'll finally invest in an outdoor antenna to put on the roof.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thwomp posted:

So RCN is now encrypting basic local TV signals that you could've accessed through your internet line. Comcast is reportedly going to start doing so as well. Also, to be extra dicks, you'll need a box for every TV and it doesn't even have to be an HD box.

Looks like my go-to for local broadcast TV is going away. Maybe I'll finally invest in an outdoor antenna to put on the roof.

Might not be a bad idea. Invest in a compass and hit up http://tvfool.com or http://antennaweb.org Depending on where you live you might get a dozen or so channels (including sub-channels) for the cost of your time and a few dollars for a decent antenna.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Might not be a bad idea. Invest in a compass and hit up http://tvfool.com or http://antennaweb.org Depending on where you live you might get a dozen or so channels (including sub-channels) for the cost of your time and a few dollars for a decent antenna.

Honestly, I could live with a Leaf (and did for a time) indoors. However, I live in the Chicago area and the CBS affliate here is one of only three still broadcasting in the VHF band. So if I want all the broadcast channels (including the one that carries the NCAA tourneys, other half of NFL games, and some other occasional stuff) I gotta mount an external.

But once that's done, I'll have no problem getting the signal (from the 6th tallest building in the nation).

Falco
Dec 31, 2003

Freewheeling At Last

Thwomp posted:

Honestly, I could live with a Leaf (and did for a time) indoors. However, I live in the Chicago area and the CBS affliate here is one of only three still broadcasting in the VHF band. So if I want all the broadcast channels (including the one that carries the NCAA tourneys, other half of NFL games, and some other occasional stuff) I gotta mount an external.

But once that's done, I'll have no problem getting the signal (from the 6th tallest building in the nation).

This is may sound a little odd, but have you tried hooking your tv up to the current cable jack in your place and switching the tv to Antenna mode? I'm doing it in Seattle 5 miles away from the Antennas and in the bottom of a valley and I receive a perfect signal on all of the major network stations. I probably get 20-25 channels total without every having to buy an antenna.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Falco posted:

This is may sound a little odd, but have you tried hooking your tv up to the current cable jack in your place and switching the tv to Antenna mode? I'm doing it in Seattle 5 miles away from the Antennas and in the bottom of a valley and I receive a perfect signal on all of the major network stations. I probably get 20-25 channels total without every having to buy an antenna.

That's what I do now with my cable line. The point of the article I posted is that cable operators are beginning to encrypt those signals that come leaking through their wires. I don't pay for the local networks but I can still (for the moment) tune into them via Comcast. I suspect you may experience the same issue once your cable operator starts encrypting their signal.

And I only have a problem with CBS over the air in Chicago because their VHF signal doesn't penetrate walls at all so internal antennas can't grab them.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

Thwomp posted:

And I only have a problem with CBS over the air in Chicago because their VHF signal doesn't penetrate walls at all so internal antennas can't grab them.

Do you have an attic? I can get CBS all the way out in the northwest burbs with my antenna in the attic.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Thwomp posted:

That's what I do now with my cable line. The point of the article I posted is that cable operators are beginning to encrypt those signals that come leaking through their wires.

Not exactly. Cable ops are encrypting the local stations that are being rebroadcast over their system. If the cable hookup in your place is getting actual over-the-air transmission (because it is disconnected or possibly leaking somewhere else) the cable op has no control over that.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

Not exactly. Cable ops are encrypting the local stations that are being rebroadcast over their system. If the cable hookup in your place is getting actual over-the-air transmission (because it is disconnected or possibly leaking somewhere else) the cable op has no control over that.
Doesn't the FCC have rules that prohibit the encryption of local FTA channels?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

The_Franz posted:

Doesn't the FCC have rules that prohibit the encryption of local FTA channels?

I think you missed the point of what I was saying - the OTA channels that you receive by antenna are unencrypted. If they are retransmitted over the cable companies lines then they can be encrypted.

I think where the confusion comes in is when someone is using a cable line as an antenna and doesn't realize it. Coax will act like an antenna if it is not connected to the cable company's feed. Then you are getting OTA channels.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
No, he knows what he's talking about but hasn't kept up with current events.

Franz, the FCC backpedaled and are allowing carriers to encrypt up their ClearQAM locals.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Roku just shut down the VideoBuzz channel (the Youtube surrogate). That certainly was short-lived. :argh:

in4m
Feb 28, 2010
The Winegard Flatwave digital antenna is only 20 bucks.
http://bensoutlet.com/products/winegard-flatwave-mini-indoor-hdtv

This a supposedly better alternative to the Mohu Leaf mentioned in the OP. It normally goes for 35-40 at Amazon. I just picked one up with free shipping and no tax in southern California.

Edit: I didn't realize that there was a difference between products. This is for a Mini Flatwave. It picks up VHF signals if they are strong, but is optimized for UHF only. I apologize for any confusion.

in4m fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 13, 2013

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

in4m posted:

The Winegard Flatwave digital antenna is only 20 bucks.
http://bensoutlet.com/products/winegard-flatwave-mini-indoor-hdtv

This a supposedly better alternative to the Mohu Leaf mentioned in the OP. It normally goes for 35-40 at Amazon. I just picked one up with free shipping and no tax in southern California.

Thanks for that. I've been thinking about buying one for awhile now.

- edit poo poo, that's a mini Flatwave :(

quote:

Optimal for major metropolitan areas or within 15 miles of broadcast tower
Optimized for UHF reception (may receive VHF signals in strong signal areas)

Hope I can cancel my order.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 07:11 on May 12, 2013

in4m
Feb 28, 2010

Call Me Charlie posted:

Thanks for that. I've been thinking about buying one for awhile now.

- edit poo poo, that's a mini Flatwave :(

Hope I can cancel my order.

http://bensoutlet.com/faq

Apparently you cannot cancel the order, but you can return it within 30 days for any reason at no cost. I may end up doing this. It's a great deal though for anyone who gets everything that they need with UHF.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

in4m posted:

http://bensoutlet.com/faq

Apparently you cannot cancel the order, but you can return it within 30 days for any reason at no cost. I may end up doing this. It's a great deal though for anyone who gets everything that they need with UHF.

What a garbage site. I emailed them twenty minutes after placing my order and they've never gotten back to me (but they did immediately charge my card). I'm going to refuse the shipment and if they don't refund me quick, do a chargeback.

Spend the extra $9 and get a used normal one from Amazon Warehouse

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...ag=evdaisafi-20

They canceled it.

quote:

Thank you for contacting Ben's Outlet,
Your order has been canceled and you should see the refund reflected on your original form of payment within 5-7 business days.
We look forward to your next order on Bensoutlet.com
Yuset

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 16:15 on May 13, 2013

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe
We've wanted to get rid of cable for a while, and Groupon had a deal a couple weeks ago for a unidirectional antenna and a Roku 2 XD for around $80, so we jumped on it. The stuff came in the mail yesterday, and I'm pretty happy thus far with the OTA signal quality (we haven't cancelled yet, but plan to soon). I need to fiddle with antenna placement some since I'm not getting one of the networks, and as far as I can tell its tower is comparable in strength and on the same mountain as another channel that comes in great. Maybe I'll make one of those coat hanger ones someone linked to earlier, and I may just try using the existing coax in antenna mode and see how that goes. I was actually an early Roku adopter back when it was pretty much just a netflix box, and I've been running Plex for a while as well. The only thing that bugs me about Plex is that the Windows version of the server software doesn't run as a service, so a user has to be logged in to the computer for it to run. I've seen various workarounds for this with varying reports of success, but haven't been arsed to try any of them for myself. Anyone have any experiences with that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The new Roku software update is available now if you manually check for updates on a device that is eligible.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

withak posted:

The new Roku software update is available now if you manually check for updates on a device that is eligible.

Fantastic update. I don't know what type of voodoo magic they came up with but it made my Roku LT blazing fast when navigating the menus/store/options.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
We currently use out PS3 for our main way of getting content from the internet to our TV. But we're getting a second TV soon and trying to figure out the best way to basically replicate our experience with the PS3 for a lot less.

The main things we do with our PS3 which we love are
-The Netflix, Hulu and MLB At Bat Apps.
-The ability to stream pretty much any video file to my TV without having to convert it before hand w/ PS3 Media Server
-The ability to copy files over to the PS3 and watch them locally without needing the computer on to stream.

Is there any box out there that will handle this the best? We're an apple household, so it seems like Apple TV would be best because you can do airplay streaming and stuff like that, but I don't believe it can stream the MKV files which would be wonderful. The Roku 3 seems like a good option too, but I really know nothing about how it can stream files ala PS3 Media Server which is important.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
There's programs out there that can convert those mkvs into something iTunes can use. If the file is already h.264 it just takes a minute or two.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

Is there any box out there that will handle this the best? We're an apple household, so it seems like Apple TV would be best because you can do airplay streaming and stuff like that, but I don't believe it can stream the MKV files which would be wonderful. The Roku 3 seems like a good option too, but I really know nothing about how it can stream files ala PS3 Media Server which is important.

Joe Don Baker posted:

There's programs out there that can convert those mkvs into something iTunes can use. If the file is already h.264 it just takes a minute or two.

Use MKVtoMP4 to do quick conversions. It'll tag stuff and add artwork too so everything is all pretty. It even recently added official iTunes tags and artwork.

If that tool doesn't work or work well enough, there's always Handbrake but it takes longer.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Joe Don Baker posted:

I have programs that can convert to H264, but I don't want that... PS3MediaServer pretty much converts the file on the fly to a format the PS3 can play. Does something like this exist for Roku or AppleTV?

What programs will convert a 44-60 minute MKV to H264 that quickly? How about WMVs?

Thwomp posted:

Use MKVtoMP4 to do quick conversions. It'll tag stuff and add artwork too so everything is all pretty. It even recently added official iTunes tags and artwork.

If that tool doesn't work or work well enough, there's always Handbrake but it takes longer.

That looks to be PC only, all my stuff is Mac (hence the integration with Apple TV that intrigued me).

I have handbreak, it's slow as hell... I also have Episode and Compressor too. I just DON'T want to convert every single item just so I can watch it one and trash it.

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 17, 2013

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Astro7x posted:

I have programs that can convert to H264, but I don't want that... PS3MediaServer pretty much converts the file on the fly to a format the PS3 can play.

What programs will convert a 44-60 minute MKV to H264 that quickly? How about WMVs?

MKV is just a container. Odds are the actual video is in h.264. Those programs just take it out of the container and into mp4 or m4v, which iTunes can use. That just takes a few minutes. If the video file is something else, like wmv, it will take longer. The program I use is iFlicks. There's a few out there that work just as well.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Astro7x posted:

That looks to be PC only, all my stuff is Mac (hence the integration with Apple TV that intrigued me).

I have handbreak, it's slow as hell... I also have Episode and Compressor too. I just DON'T want to convert every single item just so I can watch it one and trash it.

Edit: So what does Plex do for Roku? does it only stream compatible formats, or does it convert on the fly like PS3 Media Server?

Joe Don Baker posted:

The program I use is iFlicks. There's a few out there that work just as well.

If I had a Mac, I'd use iFlicks.

As to Plex, it runs a server on your computer and you point it at your library of files. You then use the Plex clients on everything else to access that media. I'm pretty sure it allows for a big variety of file types.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Astro7x posted:

Just use Plex server on a PC/Mac and the plex roku channel. It'll handle all the dirty detail stuff you can watch poo poo on your roku.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Astro7x posted:

My understanding is that it converts on the fly, i.e. it doesn't create its own cache of converted video files on disk somewhere. It can read basically any format that your computer can play and streams it to any device that can run a Plex client. If the server and the client are on the same network then the only configuration required is to tell the server where your movies are saved on your HD.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

withak posted:

My understanding is that it converts on the fly, i.e. it doesn't create its own cache of converted video files on disk somewhere. It can read basically any format that your computer can play and streams it to any device that can run a Plex client. If the server and the client are on the same network then the only configuration required is to tell the server where your movies are saved on your HD.
Yeah, I just got a Roku 3. I was using Plex with a Raspberry Pi running XBMC and it basically runs the same way. I just had to manually put in the IP address of my computer because Plex on the Roku didn't see it immediately because the way the network is set up in this house is amazingly retarded.

I got sick of the Pi and this Roku works so much better oh my god.

If you have a file that doesn't need to be transcoded things will just play, otherwise Plex Media Server will transcode for you, it'll buffer a bit and then be off. Works great.

Plex is great too because you can get to Youtube through it. I just jam poo poo in my queue and play it, no problem at all.

Anyone have any cool Roku tips?

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Sounds like a Roku 3 and Plex will pretty much replicate PS3 Media server then, awesome! Thanks everyone.

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE
I have two Roku 2xs running plex in my house and have a very extensive media library. Is there any way to sort movies alphabetically on this drat thing or do I have to scroll through all my movies the hard way.

Even faster scrolling like the apple tv would be nice. Sometimes I miss that thing

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Mine are sorted alphabetically. :confused:

edit: Though obviously not in the "on deck", "recently added", etc. sections.

withak fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

withak posted:

Mine are sorted alphabetically. :confused:

edit: Though obviously not in the "on deck", "recently added", etc. sections.

Maybe i should rephrase, they are sorted alphabetically but I would like a list of each letter for easier sorting, kind of like on the plex media server on the computer. Its a bitch to scroll through ~300 movies just to get to the 'S' Section