Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Henchman 21 posted:

Maybe i should rephrase, they are sorted alphabetically but I would like a list of each letter for easier sorting, kind of like on the plex media server on the computer. Its a bitch to scroll through ~300 movies just to get to the 'S' Section

The iOS client does this like the desktop client does. In the Roku client I think you can skip around the list quicker with the ff/rev buttons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman 21
Apr 3, 2005

HENCH 4 LIFE

withak posted:

The iOS client does this like the desktop client does. In the Roku client I think you can skip around the list quicker with the ff/rev buttons.

Ill have to try this i didnt know it was a thing

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Does anyone else have problems with interference from HDMI mucking with an antenna signal? I just picked up an amplified for my $10 antenna hoping it would fix the problem. But to no avail. :(

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Boxman posted:

Does anyone else have problems with interference from HDMI mucking with an antenna signal? I just picked up an amplified for my $10 antenna hoping it would fix the problem. But to no avail. :(

What leads you to believe HDMI is causing the issue? If you have a cable or piece of equipment that's leaking that badly I can't imagine it would be working very well at delivering video.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
So my mom is considering cutting cable and phone, and I'm looking into it for her. I figured I'd pick her up a Roku for streaming, since it appears to be the most basic and easy to use. I was going through the content providers last night on my XBox and here is what I came up with:

Crackle - Umm, anime, I guess?
Amazon Prime - Selection wasn't great. And what is up with the season gaps in shows? LOST: Season 1, and 3-6. Huh?
Netflix - Actually I didn't check this one - I had it in the past, but I wasn't impressed with the selection.
Hulu Plus - HUGE TV selection. But what is the deal with how Hulu displays the content: "Parks and Recreation - 5 seasons, 123 episodes." Yet you access the show, and it only has the current season and a bunch of clips from other seasons... Is this a standard thing, or is it really only for current shows (licensing and all that stuff?)

I know there is a big rift between streaming providers and CBS/Viacom - is there any option for those shows other than OTA?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

stubblyhead posted:

The only thing that bugs me about Plex is that the Windows version of the server software doesn't run as a service, so a user has to be logged in to the computer for it to run. I've seen various workarounds for this with varying reports of success, but haven't been arsed to try any of them for myself. Anyone have any experiences with that?

If anyone is interested in this, some changes in the Plex software make this pretty easy to do now. It still doesn't install as a service, but it seems to work perfectly well if you make a scheduled task for it set to run at startup.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

berzerkmonkey posted:

So my mom is considering cutting cable and phone, and I'm looking into it for her. I figured I'd pick her up a Roku for streaming, since it appears to be the most basic and easy to use. I was going through the content providers last night on my XBox and here is what I came up with:

Crackle - Umm, anime, I guess?
Amazon Prime - Selection wasn't great. And what is up with the season gaps in shows? LOST: Season 1, and 3-6. Huh?
Netflix - Actually I didn't check this one - I had it in the past, but I wasn't impressed with the selection.
Hulu Plus - HUGE TV selection. But what is the deal with how Hulu displays the content: "Parks and Recreation - 5 seasons, 123 episodes." Yet you access the show, and it only has the current season and a bunch of clips from other seasons... Is this a standard thing, or is it really only for current shows (licensing and all that stuff?)

I know there is a big rift between streaming providers and CBS/Viacom - is there any option for those shows other than OTA?

Why not get her an OTA antenna as well?

Buy a roku from target or somewhere that gives you 30 days or more to return it. Try the thing out for a while and see if its what you want. Also netflix and hulu plus both give you trials.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Why not get her an OTA antenna as well?

Buy a roku from target or somewhere that gives you 30 days or more to return it. Try the thing out for a while and see if its what you want. Also netflix and hulu plus both give you trials.

That's what I plan on doing, but I'm not sure she will get good reception at her location. According the the .gov site that shows reception estimates, most of the channels are in the red for her. She's also in a condo, so there is no chance of an external antenna. I'm going to try out the Winegard Company FL-5000, since people have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it.

I just picked up the Roku from Amazon - it was $50, and she is definitely cutting cable, so there is no loss there for her. I certainly think that Hulu will get her what she wants for a while.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The other thing to keep in mind is monthly bandwidth limitations by her internet provider. See if she has them and plan accordingly, if using netflix you can lower the quality level from their website.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
Hulu plus is weird. I see episodes online that I can't view through my set-top box. It's very strange. I was so pissed I cancelled.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

PaganGoatPants posted:

Hulu plus is weird. I see episodes online that I can't view through my set-top box. It's very strange. I was so pissed I cancelled.

Certain shows are only licensed for online PC view. It's a contract thing.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Season 2 is available?

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
For us :corsair:s Crackle has All in the Family, Good Times, and Sanford and Son. Looks like they took down the (original) Bob Newhart show, though, which is a pity.

re: OTA. Don't forget there's a possibility that her cable company broadcasts local networks in the clear over their line even if you don't have a cable subscription. I know this practice is going away, but you might want to give it a shot.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

re: OTA. Don't forget there's a possibility that her cable company broadcasts local networks in the clear over their line even if you don't have a cable subscription. I know this practice is going away, but you might want to give it a shot.

If she ever has to have a tech out cause shes having internet problems and they see this they will try to blame it on you changing their original setup. So I would only bother stealing cable this way if someone is going to be there to disconnect all the tv's if she has a problem with her internet.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Stealing cable? Uh, I guess so, never thought of that because our local cable company tells (or did a couple years ago) people it was ok for local channels, and sometimes mentioned it for people to try if they were concerned about signal quality before signing up.

Never mind, then.

Fillerbunny
Jul 25, 2002

so confused.

berzerkmonkey posted:

That's what I plan on doing, but I'm not sure she will get good reception at her location. According the the .gov site that shows reception estimates, most of the channels are in the red for her. She's also in a condo, so there is no chance of an external antenna. I'm going to try out the Winegard Company FL-5000, since people have pretty much nothing but good things to say about it.

I just picked up the Roku from Amazon - it was $50, and she is definitely cutting cable, so there is no loss there for her. I certainly think that Hulu will get her what she wants for a while.

Apologies if you've already considered this, and it may not even apply, but it's not uncommon for condo associations to have a community cable contract and include the cost in monthly assessments.

Sleepstupid
Feb 23, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

Same here.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no
I'm reasonably certain I know that the answer to this is "noooope", but I want to be certain:

I picked up a new Samsung LCD with SmartHub, but I'm not a fan of the interface, or having to use the ARC to get sound out of my receiver. I picked up a Roku 3 yesterday, with the intention of just ignoring the SmartHub, and streaming everything through the Roku instead.

My current router is an Asus RT-N66U, to which I currently have connected a USB hard drive containing video, music, etc. The router doubles as a media server in this way, and has worked really well streaming to everything else (TV, laptops, Blu-Ray, etc), except the Roku.

I see that most people have gotten around this by running Plex on a computer containing the media, but I would like to keep the USB drive connected to the router, and have the Roku just access it directly. Is this in any way doable? The router does both DLNA and SMB sharing.

Any ideas?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

A roku isn't really designed for local streaming. Get something like a WDTV.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is a Roku channel somewhere that can read media from a local USB connection if your device has a USB port. I don't know what kind of formats it can handle though.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

withak posted:

There is a Roku channel somewhere that can read media from a local USB connection if your device has a USB port. I don't know what kind of formats it can handle though.

These right here

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Fillerbunny posted:

Apologies if you've already considered this, and it may not even apply, but it's not uncommon for condo associations to have a community cable contract and include the cost in monthly assessments.

Not this condo association - they're pretty much the worst bunch of assholes you'd ever want to be involved with.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Certain shows are only licensed for online PC view. It's a contract thing.
Oh, that is not a good thing. Stupid networks and their piracy promoting idiot ideas. I swear, the people who make these decisions have absolutely no idea about how reality operates. (I know, old argument.)

Call Me Charlie posted:

Season 2 is available?
It is through Hulu. It wasn't showing up on the Xbox last night though it shows as available on the web.

Don Lapre posted:

If she ever has to have a tech out cause shes having internet problems and they see this they will try to blame it on you changing their original setup. So I would only bother stealing cable this way if someone is going to be there to disconnect all the tv's if she has a problem with her internet.
How is it stealing cable if they're streaming local networks through a bare line? I've been in places where the cable company has done that...

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

berzerkmonkey posted:

Not this condo association - they're pretty much the worst bunch of assholes you'd ever want to be involved with.

Oh, that is not a good thing. Stupid networks and their piracy promoting idiot ideas. I swear, the people who make these decisions have absolutely no idea about how reality operates. (I know, old argument.)

It is through Hulu. It wasn't showing up on the Xbox last night though it shows as available on the web.

How is it stealing cable if they're streaming local networks through a bare line? I've been in places where the cable company has done that...

If you arn't paying for cable tv service its still considered cable theft if you hook it up to your tv. Whether or not your cable company cares or not is another matter.

The point was if you have it hooked up and the tech is trying to troubleshoot an internet issue they may claim the problem is because you messed wiht it.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

It does, but the hope is to just be able to leave the drive connected to the router, and not have to connect it to the Roku.

Thanks for the info, guys.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OpaqueEcho posted:

It does, but the hope is to just be able to leave the drive connected to the router, and not have to connect it to the Roku.

If the drive isn't connected directly to the Roku then you need a server running somewhere.

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

If the drive isn't connected directly to the Roku then you need a server running somewhere.

And this was kind of my question- the router itself works as a media server, which other devices are able to access and stream from, just not the Roku. As I understand it, the Roku cannot directly access network shares, and there are not currently any available channels that do so, aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router). I'm truthfully kind of surprised that this kind of functionality isn't native to the Roku, considering nearly every single device I own is capable of this.

OpaqueEcho fucked around with this message at 18:55 on May 29, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

OpaqueEcho posted:

And this was kind of my question- the router itself works as a media server, which other devices are able to access and stream from, just not the Roku. As I understand it, the Roku cannot directly access network shares, and there are not currently any available channels that do so, aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router).

Right. The Roku basically runs apps (that it calls "channels") that stream video from the relevant server (Amazon, Netflix, Plex on your computer, etc.). It sounds like the Roku app/channel that is designed to read files from disk only works with USB storage plugged directly into the Roku.

You would either need a Roku app/channel designed to access network shares, or a Roku app/channel designed to work with whatever kind of streaming media server is running on your router. It is possible that these exist, IDK.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 29, 2013

OpaqueEcho
Feb 8, 2003

oh no no bro oh no

withak posted:

Right. The Roku basically runs apps (that it calls "channels") that stream video from the relevant server (Amazon, Netflix, Plex on your computer, etc.). It sounds like the Roku app/channel that is designed to read files from disk only works with USB storage plugged directly into the Roku.

You would either need a Roku app/channel designed to access network shares, or a Roku app/channel designed to work with whatever kind of streaming media server is running on your router. It is possible that these exist, IDK.

Thanks, that confirms my understanding. After digging around a bit, I ran across this:

http://www.chaneru.com/

Which looks like it *might* do what I'm wanting...I'll give it a go when I get home.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If the drive plugged into your router is accessible as a regular network share then you could install Plex on a convenient computer and point it at that network share as a library. It's not the most efficient use of wireless bandwidth if the Plex computer is on wifi, but it should work unless you have a 1Mb wifi network or something.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Wait. Seems to be a bit of confusion.

OpaqueEcho posted:

aside from Plex (which would require that the media be available on an actual computer, not the router).

Plex Media Server (PMS) can access network shares. But you need to have PMS running on a computer (not your router) in order to stream to your Roku.

I think what other people are saying is that there's no solution for a direct router -> Roku stream.

e: drat, too slow.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Plug in her address here. They get their data from the FCC or whoever, but they allow you to specify things like antenna height that may give you a more accurate picture of what reception is going to be like. Also, regardless of what her condo association's rules are, she can put an antenna outside if she wants to (assuming there's a balcony or something where she can actually put it). There are federal laws surrounding that, and you're not allowed to bar people from doing it.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

stubblyhead posted:

Plug in her address here. They get their data from the FCC or whoever, but they allow you to specify things like antenna height that may give you a more accurate picture of what reception is going to be like. Also, regardless of what her condo association's rules are, she can put an antenna outside if she wants to (assuming there's a balcony or something where she can actually put it). There are federal laws surrounding that, and you're not allowed to bar people from doing it.
Yeah, I've been to the site and things look grim. I'll look into the antenna issue though - thanks.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002
[quote=" post="415935998""]
If you arn't paying for cable tv service its still considered cable theft if you hook it up to your tv. Whether or not your cable company cares or not is another matter.

The point was if you have it hooked up and the tech is trying to troubleshoot an internet issue they may claim the problem is because you messed wiht it.
[/quote]

Not being argumentative--this is for others following along: If you have a live cable line into your house, even if you're only paying for Internet service, it is not cable theft to hook up the line to your TV for the unscrambled ClearQAM local channels. FCC regulation requires that they do not scramble local channels available through OTA. The FCC recently changed the regulation to allow larger telecoms to begin encrypting even the locals to open up more bandwidth and decrease delivery costs.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

Not being argumentative--this is for others following along: If you have a live cable line into your house, even if you're only paying for Internet service, it is not cable theft to hook up the line to your TV for the unscrambled ClearQAM local channels. FCC regulation requires that they do not scramble local channels available through OTA. The FCC recently changed the regulation to allow larger telecoms to begin encrypting even the locals to open up more bandwidth and decrease delivery costs.

Just because its unencrypted does not mean its not theft. The cable companies sure consider it theft, it's why they got the FCC to let them encrypt it.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/ncta-fcc-let-all-digital-msos-encrypt-basic-tier

It added that allowing basic encryption would largely eliminate theft of service, promote innovation and investment, and reduce polution and fuel consumption by reducing truck rolls to activate or deactivate service (NCTA said Monday that the benefits would outweigh the minimal extra watts consumed by new boxes).

And the FCC apparently agreed with them.

The old FCC requirement of cable companies not encrypting channels was so paying subs wouldn't have to rent a box for basic channels, it was not so everyone got free tv.

Before areas were all digital they could block non paying subs with an analog filter but clearqam broke that.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 30, 2013

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Don Lapre posted:

Just because its unencrypted does not mean its not theft. The cable companies sure consider it theft, it's why they got the FCC to let them encrypt it.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/ncta-fcc-let-all-digital-msos-encrypt-basic-tier

It added that allowing basic encryption would largely eliminate theft of service, promote innovation and investment, and reduce polution and fuel consumption by reducing truck rolls to activate or deactivate service (NCTA said Monday that the benefits would outweigh the minimal extra watts consumed by new boxes).

And the FCC apparently agreed with them.

The old FCC requirement of cable companies not encrypting channels was so paying subs wouldn't have to rent a box for basic channels, it was not so everyone got free tv.

Before areas were all digital they could block non paying subs with an analog filter but clearqam broke that.

They got the FCC to allow them to encrypt locals to eliminate technician rollouts to remove line filters/connect lines and to open more bandwidth when channel MultiCast was insufficient or too expensive. A line subscriber watching unencrypted locals that they can also watch free OTA doesn't cost the telecoms anything.

I contend that theft of service would require tampering with external boxes/lines: that you remove the line filter yourself or run an unfiltered line from your neighbor/pole. If you're a cable Internet subscriber and the technician removes the filter for your Internet service, then you can legally the watch the basic local channels that the FCC requires/d they broadcast unencrypted.

What they map the channel to is entirely up to them--there's no requirement that they provide a free converter box or CableCard for correct mapping for non-rental TVs. I'm lucky that in my area Comcast broadcasts most of my locals according to their call sign: x-1 for HD, x-2,3,4 for secondary, etc. and x-5 for SD.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Don Lapre posted:

promote innovation and investment

:laffo: This has never happened in the entire history of business. This is just to try to get more money.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

goku chewbacca posted:

They got the FCC to allow them to encrypt locals to eliminate technician rollouts to remove line filters/connect lines and to open more bandwidth when channel MultiCast was insufficient or too expensive. A line subscriber watching unencrypted locals that they can also watch free OTA doesn't cost the telecoms anything.

I contend that theft of service would require tampering with external boxes/lines: that you remove the line filter yourself or run an unfiltered line from your neighbor/pole. If you're a cable Internet subscriber and the technician removes the filter for your Internet service, then you can legally the watch the basic local channels that the FCC requires/d they broadcast unencrypted.

Except if you read the link the cable companies specifically say its to prevent theft of service. If you arnt paying for cable TV and you hook it up and use it the cable companies consider it theft of service. I don't care if you do it, your installer may not care. But the company itself still considers it theft and there is no FCC provision stating otherwise.

Just because the channels are unencrypted does not mean you are expected to use them without paying.

" NCTA spokesman Brian Dietz says most of the theft is by cable modem customers who also connect their line to a TV set."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/16/free-cable-loophole-closed-fcc_n_1970657.html

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 13:51 on May 30, 2013

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

It also allows the cable companies to continue their practice of having field work done by cheap contractors who couldn't give a poo poo about whether filters were installed on customer lines and taps on poles were properly secured.

Now the cable companies can charge customers to rent the descramblers, and they can also stop paying contractors to do "disconnects" that weren't always getting done anyway if the contractor thought they could get away with it.

DrClownsHappyHand
Jan 28, 2013

Don Lapre posted:

Except if you read the link the cable companies specifically say its to prevent theft of service. If you arnt paying for cable TV and you hook it up and use it the cable companies consider it theft of service. I don't care if you do it, your installer may not care. But the company itself still considers it theft and there is no FCC provision stating otherwise.

Just because the channels are unencrypted does not mean you are expected to use them without paying.

" NCTA spokesman Brian Dietz says most of the theft is by cable modem customers who also connect their line to a TV set."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mobileweb/2012/10/16/free-cable-loophole-closed-fcc_n_1970657.html

You're straight up wrong. Comcast still delivers unencrypted local channels over their lines even to people without active subscriptions. The only channels being delivered are ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS/PBS. This is NOT theft. They are phasing it out though and switching to an entirely digital spectrum. Customers with full digital spectrum will need some sort of box (or CableCard) to tune these channels-if you're in those areas, you will either need active service or some sort of device to steal the signal. But in the areas that haven't made the jump to full digital, providers deliver those channels completely unencrypted over your coax.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

DrClownsHappyHand posted:

You're straight up wrong. Comcast still delivers unencrypted local channels over their lines even to people without active subscriptions. The only channels being delivered are ABC/FOX/NBC/CBS/PBS. This is NOT theft. They are phasing it out though and switching to an entirely digital spectrum. Customers with full digital spectrum will need some sort of box (or CableCard) to tune these channels-if you're in those areas, you will either need active service or some sort of device to steal the signal. But in the areas that haven't made the jump to full digital, providers deliver those channels completely unencrypted over your coax.

In areas where there is analog cable still the cable provider would put an analog filter on your line if you did not pay for basic cable. This only blocks analog tv, not clear qam.

They deliver unencrypted digital locals (clearqam) over lines without active subs because they have no way of turning off clearqam like they can/could with analog. Just because its on the line does not mean its legal to hook it up. Read what was said by the NCTA spokesman.

"NCTA spokesman Brian Dietz says most of the theft is by cable modem customers who also connect their line to a TV set."

Yes, the unencrypted locals are on the line. But if you are not paying for basic cable you are not allowed to hook it up. If you do its considered cable theft. That is what the National Cable and Telecommunications Association says. You may not believe it but the cable companies certainly do.

One of the main reasons cable companies want to encrypt locals is to stop cable theft (by cable modem customers who also connect their line to a tv set).

I have NEVER said that they arn't delivering the channels unencrypted over the lines to everybody. I know this, ive said this multiple times. What is cable theft is taking advantage of that fact without paying for basic cable. This is straight from the NCTA.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 30, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
I think we're talking past each other.

Lapre: While the cable companies consider it illegal, it's hard to actually take their position seriously. They can't actually make a case for passive theft because there's no way they can tell someone has plugged their tv into their cable line (unless you observe it happening). At least until they all do start encrypting the clearQAM signals and then force everyone to have some kind of box.

(At which point you can go back to an antenna).

Everyone else: Plugging into the wall and getting basic local tv and not paying for the service is leaching off the cable company. However, it's like a speeding when there are no cops around. You won't get a ticket unless you're observed.

New content: Aereo is (supposedly) coming to the Chicago area. I'll be all over that until they are litigated into the ground.