Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Was enough to get me to cancel again. I'll probably sub for a month if Mike Flanagan has a new horror series next October, but their original content has sucked lately and I don't see a reason to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

Netflix, after making a bunch more profit by cracking down on password sharing, announced today that they are raising the rate of its highest plan by $3.

Netflix premium will be $22.99 a month.
Netflix basic will be $11.99.

Man, they are making it hard to justify paying for it.

Yeah, that might be it for me. Nearly doubled in price since 2016.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I moved netflix to the queue of services to be rotated through month-by-month to binge as needed.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Love that the ‘$10 HD Fee’ lives to this day. I wonder what percentage of the content is in 4K to ‘justify’ it too.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Love that the ‘$10 HD Fee’ lives to this day. I wonder what percentage of the content is in 4K to ‘justify’ it too.

It’s not even good 4K.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
Just need to want to watch ads, gotta get that incremental revenue. There's a reason FAST is taking off, users are worth more to feed ads than to pay for content. So basically, it's old cable/OTA TV.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The only reason I still have Netflix is because T-Mobile covers most of the price. It’s the definition of a “sub when you’re ready to catch up” service for me without that.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MarcusSA posted:

It’s not even good 4K.

How's that? (I genuinely don't know / rarely watch anything in 4k)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

That Works posted:

How's that? (I genuinely don't know / rarely watch anything in 4k)

It's variable/low-bitrate 4k so image quality is poor with lots of compression artifacts, particularly in dark and complex scenes (like in a nature documentary).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Been watching Gen V lately on Amazon Prime and Prime definitely holds the crown for streaming service with the lowest 4K HDR picture quality. There's a ton of visible compression, to the point where I see almost a rainbow effect in some of the noise sometimes. And this isn't new either, I've seen this for a while with Prime content, but it feels like it's gotten worse with Gen V.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OldSenileGuy posted:

Been watching Gen V lately on Amazon Prime and Prime definitely holds the crown for streaming service with the lowest 4K HDR picture quality. There's a ton of visible compression, to the point where I see almost a rainbow effect in some of the noise sometimes. And this isn't new either, I've seen this for a while with Prime content, but it feels like it's gotten worse with Gen V.

Really? Prime has always been pretty good on that end for me. I’ve been watching The Boys and it looks great but maybe it varies show to show.

Apple TV+ is definitely the gold standard though. I love how hard they commit to the quality of their shows whether it’s the production budget or the bitrate.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Amazon seems to vary encode to encode even within the same season of a show.

Never really had much to complain about with Netflix 4k.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I had read an article a while ago about how you could get a year of Netflix for free if you subscribe to a year of Super duolingo (through Verizon). My daughter is already signed up for that so I went to check but now Verizon gives a year of Netflix if you do a year of Starz or AMC+.

Dang it.

Edit: I just remembered how years ago, I got 3 years of Netflix for $30 by buying 3 tracphones at Radio Shack (I donated the phones to some students who needed phones for work). Also, I got almost 2 years of Hulu for free by using Bing Rewards. I feel like those days will forever be gone.

Bizarro Kanyon fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 19, 2023

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

T-Mobile is still subsidizing my Netflix, so it's still cheap for me by comparison.

Gearing up to cancel Amazon though once they start ads.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I had read an article a while ago about how you could get a year of Netflix for free if you subscribe to a year of Super duolingo (through Verizon). My daughter is already signed up for that so I went to check but now Verizon gives a year of Netflix if you do a year of Starz or AMC+.

Dang it.

Edit: I just remembered how years ago, I got 3 years of Netflix for $30 by buying 3 tracphones at Radio Shack (I donated the phones to some students who needed phones for work). Also, I got almost 2 years of Hulu for free by using Bing Rewards. I feel like those days will forever be gone.

You can still use Bing Rewards for a ton of stuff. Hell, I got a free Xbox Series X from them and saving up for a free future Switch 2.

Also the math still works on the Verizon deal, you pay $75 or $99 for Starz or AMC and get a year worth of $23/month Netflix for free. That’s what I’m doing now.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Oct 19, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’ve noticed this too. It’s definitely not my device or my tv.

What’s really kinda dumb is if I watch it on my iPad Pro it looks great.

It’s super duper annoying. It was really bad with WoT season 1 too.

Tiny Timbs posted:

It's variable/low-bitrate 4k so image quality is poor with lots of compression artifacts, particularly in dark and complex scenes (like in a nature documentary).

Yeah this. When you see a real 4K show it’s definitely night and day.

I think I’m going to cancel Netflix after I finish the walking dead. This new price hike is ridiculous.

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

bull3964 posted:

T-Mobile is still subsidizing my Netflix, so it's still cheap for me by comparison.

Gearing up to cancel Amazon though once they start ads.

I mostly have Prime for shipping but it's getting really annoying with the big streamers adding ads. At least unlike cable you can pay to turn them off but how long will that last?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Island Nation posted:

I mostly have Prime for shipping but it's getting really annoying with the big streamers adding ads. At least unlike cable you can pay to turn them off but how long will that last?

Yeah prime has already said they are going to start adding in more ads.

I was watching WoT season 2 and there sure were some fade to black parts that looked primed for ad time.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

MarcusSA posted:

I’ve noticed this too. It’s definitely not my device or my tv.

What’s really kinda dumb is if I watch it on my iPad Pro it looks great.

What device are you using to watch it on your tv? I’m using AppleTV - maybe the tvOS app is crap, or whatever compression Amazon uses to create the versions that go to tvOS are crap.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

What device are you using to watch it on your tv? I’m using AppleTV - maybe the tvOS app is crap, or whatever compression Amazon uses to create the versions that go to tvOS are crap.

Yeah I’m on an AppleTV as well.

Maybe Amazon is hamstringing that version of the app?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

The AppleTV app used to always be hot broken garbage.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

The AppleTV app used to always be hot broken garbage.

Back when HBO was hot garbage the best way to stream it was from the Apple TV app.

It works fine for me though :shrug:

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

wandler20 posted:

Yeah, that might be it for me. Nearly doubled in price since 2016.

Anyone else notice that X axis?

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

If you're willing to go through the hassle, you can get the highest tier of Netflix for ~$7 USD a month using a VPN to get the subscription rate from Turkey -- YMMV: I'm assuming this still works, I did the process a while ago. It used to be like $4 or $5 a month, but recently jumped to roughly $7 a month.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Streaming companies are really struggling to justify that tech company valuation with the rate at which human eyeballs are created huh

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pause-ads-hulu-max-peacock-streaming-1235764850/

quote:

So-called “pause ads” — they only turn up a few seconds after a viewer has decided to halt the programming, and not every time one does — are seeing new movement in the streaming world, with the format appearing more frequently on Hulu since July, according to Josh Mattison, senior vice president of revenue management and operations for Disney Advertising. Pause ads are also in motion in venues such as NBCUniversal’s Peacock and Warner Bros. Discovery’s Max.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Tiny Timbs posted:

Streaming companies are really struggling to justify that tech company valuation with the rate at which human eyeballs are created huh

https://variety.com/2023/tv/news/pause-ads-hulu-max-peacock-streaming-1235764850/
Yeah started seeing those on Peacock. They're probably the least intrusive ad in that they only show up when you're not watching, don't play any audio, don't interrupt anything, and go away instantly as soon as you hit play, but it's still real weird, like if every time you stopped your car on the side of the road a giant billboard popped up in front of you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Those were part of Peacock since the start.

110523_2
Nov 5, 2023
cutting the cable and getting a battery

110523_2
Nov 5, 2023
at this discharge rate i'm gonna need 4 batteries a day!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Any of the streaming services offer an east coast feed in you’re on the west coast? My spectrum streaming had this until recently but took it away. Wife wants to watch wrestling earlier.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
I think Hulu TV has east and west coast feeds for a few channels like TBS and TNT, but I’m not sure.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Reminder that FrndlyTV is super cheap and carries hallmark. Not ashamed to say we subscribe two months out of the year for the braindead christmas movies.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Wayne Knight posted:

Reminder that FrndlyTV is super cheap and carries hallmark. Not ashamed to say we subscribe two months out of the year for the braindead christmas movies.
man PlayStation Vue getting Hallmark like five minutes before it bit the dust was quite the tease :rip:

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

I think Hulu TV has east and west coast feeds for a few channels like TBS and TNT, but I’m not sure.

Yep that is true for the Discovery/Warner networks: TBS, TNT, Cartoon Network, HBO, etc.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Trying Hulu+Live TV, on an Apple TV 4K. I’ve had to restart the app 4 or 5 times in just an hour of use, is this unusual or is it just a really buggy app??

Weird because this is the only Live TV app that uses the native TVOS playback controls; I would’ve expected a much more stable experience :(

Minidust fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 18, 2023

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I don’t use the live tv part but the regular Hulu app has always been solid for me.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the live tv part is buggy as poo poo.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
I use Hulu Live TV on a couple of ATV 4ks and don’t have that issue.

How’s your wifi? I will say we had some less than ideal behavior when we were having wifi problems in one room, but I put another eero in and it’s been fine ever since.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Minidust posted:

Trying Hulu+Live TV, on an Apple TV 4K. I’ve had to restart the app 4 or 5 times in just an hour of use, is this unusual or is it just a really buggy app??

Weird because this is the only Live TV app that uses the native TVOS playback controls; I would’ve expected a much more stable experience :(

Hmm, maybe try reinstalling? I've never had issues with the Hulu Live TV app on my relatively ancient 4th gen Apple TV.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I've been watching a lot of Pluto TV lately (they have an MST3K & a Rifftrax channel as well as a Top Gear channel) and they really suck at commercial breaks. They cut into shows at the wrong place and instead of actual commercials, you get the Pluto splash screen for 2-3 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

TheWevel posted:

I use Hulu Live TV on a couple of ATV 4ks and don’t have that issue.

How’s your wifi? I will say we had some less than ideal behavior when we were having wifi problems in one room, but I put another eero in and it’s been fine ever since.
The Wi-fi isn't ideal in that area, according to the Speedtest app on the TV it's around 200 mbps down / 40 up, as opposed to like ~850/800 elsewhere in the house. But stuff like 4K content on Disney+ or YouTube gives me no problem so I wouldn't expect that to be an issue, although I suppose anything's possible.

teagone posted:

Hmm, maybe try reinstalling? I've never had issues with the Hulu Live TV app on my relatively ancient 4th gen Apple TV.
interesting, i did try reinstalling and still no dice. What usually happens is I'll start the app, go to the live guide and select a channel, which causes the UI to freeze while the video and audio from the current channel continue to play. Then nothing works so I back out to the ATV home menu, the channel audio keeps playing for a few seconds and finally cuts off.

I'll force close the app and restart, on the second launch the UI doesn't freeze right away but the audio takes around 10-15 seconds to kick in after changing channels via the guide.

Those first two behaviors have been reproduceable; seems to happen any time I launch for the first time in a while. From there I can at least control the app normally, but the app still gets pretty crash-happy whenever I'm a few menus deep (say, going to a show's info from the guide screen and messing with DVR settings).

Lots of other random little bugs, stuff like being able to scroll in the guide but not select anything, the progress bar/time being way off when a new show starts, Windows-style crashes where it throws up an error message with a QR code.

Not necessarily a "bug" but extremely annoying behavior where the Guide defaults to the "Recent" filter when you bring it up. So at first it only shows one channel. You can move to the left and change the filter to "All" or "Favorites," which would be nice if it remembered that setting. But it always defaults back to "Recent," except when it randomly doesn't and makes you think it's been fixed.

The performance is what I'd expect on my $80 Amazon Fire smart TV, without exaggeration I can say it's the worst app I've ever tried to use on an Apple TV. I'd love to know how people are experiencing it differently, but I'm not sure what there even is to troubleshoot on an ATV :/

On the other hand, that Fubo app, good lord. I did a trial and it makes me wish I watched sports. No way I can justify quadrupling the cost of my Philo subscription, especially considering the strange omission of TNT/TBS. But the app is so good I kinda considered it!!

Minidust fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 21, 2023