Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Croatoan posted:

I just found out you can watch Fox and ESPN NFL games live via their apps as long as you're logged in with your credentials. This is great news as my antenna sucks for Fox. You know, in case you're away from your cable service. Like if it was your dad's.

As for a DVR, are we going to go back to setting up VHS recorders to tape our OTA antennas?

You can also mess around with an HDHomeRun and Kodi, but the Tivo is the simplest path.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Plex also has a DVR I would currently classify as "adequate."

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
LOL if you don't use one of these bad boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Croatoan posted:

LOL if you don't use one of these bad boys.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jiu0LPeLQPE

You can get True Lies on this poo poo but not on BluRay

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TheScott2K posted:

James Cameron dragging his feet on that and The Abyss. Makes me so loving mad.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

TheScott2K posted:

D-VHS was actually pretty sweet. up to 50gb per tape and pretty equal to mpeg2 bluray.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, but MPEG2 blu-rays suck.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, but MPEG2 blu-rays suck.

Looks a hell of a lot better than the non-anamorphic US DVD that has the widescreen and fullscreen versions on the same side of the disc.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Croatoan posted:

I just found out you can watch Fox and ESPN NFL games live via their apps as long as you're logged in with your credentials. This is great news as my antenna sucks for Fox. You know, in case you're away from your cable service. Like if it was your dad's.

My antenna sucked for Fox too, until I laid it horizontal instead of vertical, now Fox comes in crystal clear. Might give that a shot instead?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Rythe posted:

My antenna sucked for Fox too, until I laid it horizontal instead of vertical, now Fox comes in crystal clear. Might give that a shot instead?

Unless you guys are next door neighbors then your antenna placement has nothing to do with his.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Does Playstation Vue offer local sports channels? I tried to do some research with :google: but I actually couldn't find anything about it.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Does Playstation Vue offer local sports channels? I tried to do some research with :google: but I actually couldn't find anything about it.

Yeah it does. I live in San Francisco and I get all the Comcast Sports Networks here.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Burden posted:

Yeah it does. I live in San Francisco and I get all the Comcast Sports Networks here.

Interesting, did you have to get a higher tier or is the low tier good enough for that?

Is there a link on their site that explains this stuff? I can't find one.

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Interesting, did you have to get a higher tier or is the low tier good enough for that?

Is there a link on their site that explains this stuff? I can't find one.

Yeah. For me it's available on core and above. Go to https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ and click see plans and see if it has the channels you want.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Burden posted:

Yeah. For me it's available on core and above. Go to https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/ and click see plans and see if it has the channels you want.

Welp, no MSG network (New York Sports) kinda a dealbreaker for me. Oh well.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
I tried that free trial of Vue just to get access to a few sporting events this week and was impressed enough to give it another month. I really like the cloud dvr.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Some of these channels on SlingTV seem to not be the actual channel but some kind of SlingTV version. I mean I know it's a joke that the History Channel is nothing but American Pickers and Ancient Aliens, but this is literally every day 6 hour blocks of American Pickers and Ancient Aliens.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

FogHelmut posted:

Some of these channels on SlingTV seem to not be the actual channel but some kind of SlingTV version. I mean I know it's a joke that the History Channel is nothing but American Pickers and Ancient Aliens, but this is literally every day 6 hour blocks of American Pickers and Ancient Aliens.

That is literally what history channel runs

http://www.history.com/schedule

On friday they ran ancient aliens from 10am to 9pm non stop

On saturday they ran american pickers from 5pm to 10pm

On sunday they will have run american pickers from 5pm to 3am monday.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

FogHelmut posted:

Some of these channels on SlingTV seem to not be the actual channel but some kind of SlingTV version.
We have Orange because my wife wanted Bravo. However, according to her, they show more commercials in Sling's streaming version.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Don Lapre posted:

That is literally what history channel runs

http://www.history.com/schedule

I love how History en Espaņol has actual documentaries and the English one is constant bullshit.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Cheesus posted:

We have Orange because my wife wanted Bravo. However, according to her, they show more commercials in Sling's streaming version.

This is why I love the vue dvr. Just ff through that poo poo.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cheesus posted:

I have the one with ESPN because there was one Monday Night Football game I wanted to watch. Also it's $14 or $15 a month with a T-Mobile account. I'm not sure if they discount the other plans.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

Cheesus posted:

Bravo's just been continually ratcheting up the commercials. They're having a contest with TBS to see who can get away with fitting more of them in. So much of cable is so bad.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I noticed that some shows are down to 18 minutes of content for a half hour show rather than the standard 22.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

TheScott2K posted:

Bravo's just been continually ratcheting up the commercials. They're having a contest with TBS to see who can get away with fitting more of them in. So much of cable is so bad.

Are they speeding up their shows like TBS does now?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

AMC is the king of commercials. Movies last for 4 or 5 hours.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Freeform is worse.

They had the animated Disney Jungle Book on for 3 hours one day.

It's only 78 minutes long (and you know they compressed the credits.)

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Welp, no MSG network (New York Sports) kinda a dealbreaker for me. Oh well.

Did they have any sports channels for the area like Yes or SNY? I figure NHL.tv. + VPN would work for hockey but I'm curious about baseball

Edit: Website shows Yes available but not SNY. I can live with that

Island Nation fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 10, 2016

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004
Finally cutting the cord this week. Went with a new FireTV for the device. Currently already have Netflix and Prime Streaming.

What are goons' thoughts on Sony Vue versus Sling? My wife watches a lot of Bravo shows, so having access to them is critical. Reviews on Reddit seem to favor Vue. Thanks in advance!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

ScarletBrother posted:

Finally cutting the cord this week. Went with a new FireTV for the device. Currently already have Netflix and Prime Streaming.

What are goons' thoughts on Sony Vue versus Sling? My wife watches a lot of Bravo shows, so having access to them is critical. Reviews on Reddit seem to favor Vue. Thanks in advance!

Congrats and as for an answer, read the last two pages. That's literally what we've been discussing.

ScarletBrother
Nov 2, 2004

Croatoan posted:

Congrats and as for an answer, read the last two pages. That's literally what we've been discussing.

That'll teach me to skip to the last post.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

ScarletBrother posted:

For me the only drawback on Vue is no local channels. You get on demand ABC, FOX and NBC which kind of makes up for it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Rad Valtar posted:

For me the only drawback on Vue is no local channels. You get on demand ABC, FOX and NBC which kind of makes up for it.

If you live in some hillbilly town. I get all the locals.

CygnusTM
Oct 11, 2002

ScarletBrother posted:

I've had both, and I'm on Vue now. The Sling interface was a steaming POS back when I had it, but I've heard it has improved. The differentiator for me was the lineup (BTN is a big deal for me) and access to more "TV Anywhere" apps.

There is a lineup comparison here on the second sheet.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Croatoan posted:

I love how History en Español has actual documentaries and the English one is constant bullshit.

drat illegals trying to outsmart real Americans. Build a wall (around History en Español)!

MycroftXXX
May 10, 2006

A Liquor Never Brewed

ScarletBrother posted:

Been using Sling Blue with the extra sports package for 2 months now. Wife watches bravo at night, I watch CNN sometimes in the morning, and we watch redzone on sunday.

So far have almost no complaints. We use it on a roku and the interface is nice and the quality is good. They have a page where you can see everything that's on sorted by genre of show (sports, movies, drama, etc) which is pretty neat.

I'm happy to answer any questions.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM

Island Nation posted:

Did they have any sports channels for the area like Yes or SNY? I figure NHL.tv. + VPN would work for hockey but I'm curious about baseball

Edit: Website shows Yes available but not SNY. I can live with that

I could live with Gamecenter and VPN for watching Rangers games, but I also have to keep in mind my dad and brothers who probably wouldn't be as cool with it.

Somehow I doubt MSG will be coming to Vue anytime soon :(

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Sit your ass down Steve.

jabro posted:

If you live in some hillbilly town. I get all the locals.

For some reason they put me in St Louis, MO and I get CBS but thats it. Also I live in Michigan.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

ALL OF THEM
Would signing up for something like adfreetime and setting it to use their DNS servers at the router level make stuff show up as if I'm in the wrong location?

Will Google.com offer me a Spanish page be a use they think I'm in Mexico, for example? Im worried that it would conflict with a lot of my stuff if it did. I really only want it for nhl Gamecenter. Or is adfreetime somehow smart enough to "preserve" your location when it actually matters?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farchanter
Jun 15, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Would signing up for something like adfreetime and setting it to use their DNS servers at the router level make stuff show up as if I'm in the wrong location?

Will Google.com offer me a Spanish page be a use they think I'm in Mexico, for example? Im worried that it would conflict with a lot of my stuff if it did. I really only want it for nhl Gamecenter. Or is adfreetime somehow smart enough to "preserve" your location when it actually matters?

I can't speak for adfreetime, but that's how it works for unblockus. I get the correct versions of everything, it only proxies certain requests, like Gamecenter.