Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thwomp posted:

I think we're talking past each other.

Lapre: While the cable companies consider it illegal, it's hard to actually take their position seriously. They can't actually make a case for passive theft because there's no way they can tell someone has plugged their tv into their cable line (unless you observe it happening). At least until they all do start encrypting the clearQAM signals and then force everyone to have some kind of box.

(At which point you can go back to an antenna).

Everyone else: Plugging into the wall and getting basic local tv and not paying for the service is leaching off the cable company. However, it's like a speeding when there are no cops around. You won't get a ticket unless you're observed.

New content: Aereo is (supposedly) coming to the Chicago area. I'll be all over that until they are litigated into the ground.

Yea, this is what im trying to get across. Its considered cable theft, but no one knows and most people won't give a poo poo unless they are trying to troubleshoot things and arn't taking into account you have tv's plugged in as well. But ultimately you are using basic cable and not paying for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And it's not even like other kinds of piracy since it's taking advantage of a limitation of their current technology.

Going back to the speeding analogy, it's more like those radar/speed awareness signs in that you can go over the limit, it'll tell you you are going over, but it doesn't have a camera or reporting mechanism to enforce the limit so no one takes it seriously.

goku chewbacca
Dec 14, 2002

Thwomp posted:

New content: Aereo is (supposedly) coming to the Chicago area. I'll be all over that until they are litigated into the ground.

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

goku chewbacca posted:

I know Aereo requires a billing address in their service area, which last I checked was still NYC metro area. Can I get service by using a prepaid card with my address set to some hotel in NYC, or area they using IP location or WiFi/GPS geolocation, too?

They are using geo location as well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

goku chewbacca posted:

Aereo works only as long as you’re within broadcast range of local channels, based on where you signed up for the service. It uses a GPS or Internet IP address information to check for channels. That means if you travel to, say, Chicago, your Aereo account will stop working until you return home. (Source: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/05/29/aereo-internet-service-good-scary/sGECft4KQwmT1Ip4ZVbYxN/story.html)

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

goku chewbacca posted:

Their website and blog states they were going to expand beyond NYC and Boston this "Spring" but the litigation may have delayed their wider rollout.

That said, you can sign up to be on the early subscriber list once the service does go live in one of their planned areas.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you are watching unencrypted channels over your cable for free then just make sure it is unplugged if the cable guy comes around for any reason. The cable company can probably afford more lawyers than you can.

TotallyGreen
Jun 30, 2002

REMIND ME AGAIN, HOW
THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED
ONES MOVE.
I'm thinking about dropping Directv. Is there any major benefit to buying a Roku rather than using the PS3 I already own?

I have a remote already for the PS3 and upgraded the hard drive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

TotallyGreen posted:

I'm thinking about dropping Directv. Is there any major benefit to buying a Roku rather than using the PS3 I already own?

If the PS3 can play all of your streaming sources (Amazon, Netflix, Hulu, Plex, etc.) then no.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

TotallyGreen posted:

I don't know how loud the PS3 is or how much energy it uses but the Roku is silent and uses under 3W when streaming HD video. If either of those are important to you, it may be worth picking one up.

Otherwise, I doubt it.

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.
My wife and I are looking to get rid of cable altogether. PlayOn looks awesome. Would a 50Mbps line be fast enough to handle HD?

Another question. If I am getting an HD antenna and a Roku 3 would I really need to subscribe to PlayOn?

Doomsday Jesus fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Jun 6, 2013

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

My wife and I are looking to get rid of cable altogether. PlayOn looks awesome. Would a 50Mbps line be fast enough to handle HD?

Another question. If I am getting an HD antenna and a Roku 3 would I really need to subscribe to PlayOn?

50 Mbps should be more than enough for HD video.

I don't know about PlayOn, but it sounds like it just combines everything that the Roku+Plex would do into one app. Not necessary IMO.

edit: It looks like maybe PlayOn is left over from before you could get basically any streaming service on basically any device that could play video?

withak fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 6, 2013

Doomsday Jesus
Oct 8, 2004

Doomsday Jesus we need you now.

withak posted:

50 Mbps should be more than enough for HD video.

I don't know about PlayOn, but it sounds like it just combines everything that the Roku+Plex would do into one app. Not necessary IMO.

edit: It looks like maybe PlayOn is left over from before you could get basically any streaming service on basically any device that could play video?

I don't have a lot of media on my laptop. Plex really would not be of use then right?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Doomsday Jesus posted:

I don't have a lot of media on my laptop. Plex really would not be of use then right?
Plex is still useful because its one of the few ways to watch YouTube videos on a Roku.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I haven't done much research regarding Plex - I'm assuming it runs on your media server though. Does it run as a background app, or does it essentially take everything over? Can I run it on my media server without interrupting access from my XBMC?

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

I haven't done much research regarding Plex - I'm assuming it runs on your media server though. Does it run as a background app, or does it essentially take everything over? Can I run it on my media server without interrupting access from my XBMC?

The Plex media server runs in the background on your computer or on a NAS. It shares out your media, unlike XBMC that retrieves it from your computer. Both should work at the same time probably.

You can also add channels to Plex for like youtube and various other online video and music sources.

You can also use a Plex account to add online videos to a Queue that you can stream on any Plex-enabled device. Any file formats that won't play on your device, if the media server is running the stream will get routed through your media server for transcoding, just like it would do for any video files on your computer that aren't natively supported.

Youtube videos will usually play straight on a Roku through plex, but about 10% of the time I find videos that need my computer running so they can get transcoded. Videos needing transcoding seem more common from non-youtube sources.

100 HOGS AGREE fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 6, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

The Plex media server runs in the background on your computer or on a NAS. It shares out your media, unlike XBMC that retrieves it from your computer. Both should work at the same time probably.

You can also add channels to Plex for like youtube and various other online video and music sources.

You can also use a Plex account to add online videos to a Queue that you can stream on any Plex-enabled device. Any file formats that won't play on your device, if the media server is running the stream will get routed through your media server for transcoding, just like it would do for any video files on your computer that aren't natively supported.

Youtube videos will usually play straight on a Roku through plex, but about 10% of the time I find videos that need my computer running so they can get transcoded. Videos needing transcoding seem more common from non-youtube sources.

Regarding running YouTube through Plex: how does that work? And what is the easiest way to accomplish this? I recently set my mom up with a Roku, and while she likes it, she noticed that some of the older shows she wants to watch are on YouTube. If I can get Plex set up for her so she can view the shows through YouTube, she will be really happy.

EDIT: Speaking of cutting cable, has anyone got a solution for purchasing a replacement for a Comcast modem with VOIP? I don't really want to drop cable at this time, but I looked into dropping the VOIP service and Comcast told me that my bill would actually go up. I would like to get rid of the modem rental fee though - is there a way around this, or am I screwed until I drop everything?

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 6, 2013

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

berzerkmonkey posted:

Regarding running YouTube through Plex: how does that work? And what is the easiest way to accomplish this? I recently set my mom up with a Roku, and while she likes it, she noticed that some of the older shows she wants to watch are on YouTube. If I can get Plex set up for her so she can view the shows through YouTube, she will be really happy.
I don't really use the Youtube plugin in Plex that much because I never brows Youtube but I think you can subscribe to channels and navigate to them through that? Your best bet is to install the Youtube plugin in your plex media server and gently caress around with it.

What I do is use the Queue function on the Plex site using their bookmarklet on my computer to queue up a list of poo poo I want to watch on my TV. I am probably doing it in a roundabout way but it works for me.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

I don't really use the Youtube plugin in Plex that much because I never brows Youtube but I think you can subscribe to channels and navigate to them through that? Your best bet is to install the Youtube plugin in your plex media server and gently caress around with it.

What I do is use the Queue function on the Plex site using their bookmarklet on my computer to queue up a list of poo poo I want to watch on my TV. I am probably doing it in a roundabout way but it works for me.
Cool - I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

100 HOGS AGREE posted:

Plex is still useful because its one of the few ways to watch YouTube videos on a Roku.

It's the only way now right? If there is another way I'd like to know because they shut down the VideoBuzz channel.

berzerkmonkey posted:

Speaking of cutting cable, has anyone got a solution for purchasing a replacement for a Comcast modem with VOIP? I don't really want to drop cable at this time, but I looked into dropping the VOIP service and Comcast told me that my bill would actually go up. I would like to get rid of the modem rental fee though - is there a way around this, or am I screwed until I drop everything?

In my area they force customers to lease the VOIP modems.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Doomsday Jesus posted:

It can also get Youtube and iTunes on the Roku.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

berzerkmonkey posted:

Unfortunately it does not run as a service in windows out of the box, meaning a user must be logged in for it to work. That may not be an issue for you, but it drove me nuts. There are some good workarounds now, however I believe there are some limitations on what channels will work (everything I use it for works fine). See my earlier post ITT for more info, and I'm happy to help if you need.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

We cut cable 2 years ago and have never looked back. It started with us buying a laptop that had an hdmi port.
This last month we bought a new bluray player (after our old one died) ad it had several nice media streaming options.

We are now looking into getting a TV for our bedroom. My question is: which is the better value, a Smart tv such as Samsung or a non-smart tv with a roku box for media?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

We cut cable 2 years ago and have never looked back. It started with us buying a laptop that had an hdmi port.
This last month we bought a new bluray player (after our old one died) ad it had several nice media streaming options.

We are now looking into getting a TV for our bedroom. My question is: which is the better value, a Smart tv such as Samsung or a non-smart tv with a roku box for media?

Honestly probably the non smart tv with roku box, it's going to have a lot more options for content.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
With a smart tv you are stuck relying on the manufacturer to update the software and keep things working. I have more confidence in Roku (or whoever) doing that as their main business than in whatever sub-sub-department at the tv factory is supposed to be doing it. Also if the smart tv software is terrible (it probably is) then you are stuck with it for as long as you keep the tv.

Meydey
Dec 31, 2005

berzerkmonkey posted:

EDIT: Speaking of cutting cable, has anyone got a solution for purchasing a replacement for a Comcast modem with VOIP? I don't really want to drop cable at this time, but I looked into dropping the VOIP service and Comcast told me that my bill would actually go up. I would like to get rid of the modem rental fee though - is there a way around this, or am I screwed until I drop everything?

Comcast has a deal in my area (Seattle) that is 30mb Internet/Basic Economy tv channels for $79.99 regular price. Next week I'm going to drop Triple Play, and go with that.
Ooma(voip) is currently on sale at Costco for $99, and I just got a new 6121 to replace the lovely Comcast voip modem.
This should drop my bill from $145 to $79.99 plus fees.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Meydey posted:

Comcast has a deal in my area (Seattle) that is 30mb Internet/Basic Economy tv channels for $79.99 regular price. Next week I'm going to drop Triple Play, and go with that.
Ooma(voip) is currently on sale at Costco for $99, and I just got a new 6121 to replace the lovely Comcast voip modem.
This should drop my bill from $145 to $79.99 plus fees.

This is exactly what I did (drop triple play, go to blast plus + ooma), although I did add in a Tivo premiere box because I can't get OTA signals at my house. No complaints at all, and my internet actually got bumped from 30mbps up to 50mbps.

The digital economy channel lineup is surprisingly decent for the price.

madlobster
Aug 12, 2003

Zogo posted:

It's the only way now right? If there is another way I'd like to know because they shut down the VideoBuzz channel.

VideoBuzz is back.

iLikeMidgets
Jan 3, 2005
insert witty title here

berzerkmonkey posted:

Aereo works only as long as you’re within broadcast range of local channels, based on where you signed up for the service. It uses a GPS or Internet IP address information to check for channels. That means if you travel to, say, Chicago, your Aereo account will stop working until you return home. (Source: http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2013/05/29/aereo-internet-service-good-scary/sGECft4KQwmT1Ip4ZVbYxN/story.html)

So would a VPN work in this case? As long as the VPN ip is in the same area as the city you signed up in?

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

iLikeMidgets posted:

So would a VPN work in this case? As long as the VPN ip is in the same area as the city you signed up in?
No clue on that - I was just regurgitating something I found elsewhere. It would be interesting if it worked though.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

That's good. It's strange that I can't get it to install right now. It says my Roku IP address is not valid. I'll try again later.

I have tried the Plex server earlier and it was working okay as a Youtube surrogate.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Is my Roku LT defective?

It runs hot even when it's not doing anything, feels like it's going to melt after a couple hours of HD video, audio from Amazon Cloud Player drops out about every 30 seconds and subtitles on Hulu Plus freeze up.

I thought maybe it was the low spec hardware holding it back but the LT I gave my parents has none of these issues.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife and I just moved to Atlanta, and we're waiting for AT&T to stop by next week and install their triple play service. But after reading through this thread and doing some other research, I get the feeling that we're just going to be throwing more money out the window by doing that. We've gotten burned before and I'd rather save that extra cash every month for more useful things. So I'm thinking I'll ask my wife how she feels about cutting cable.

I know that her TV habits range about the same as mine:

- Comedy Central
- Adult Swim
- HGTV (mostly just House Hunters)
- whatever channel it is that plays Roseanne half the time

And most of the time, it's on for background noise anyway. I feel like we can cover a lot of this stuff using Roku + Netflix + Amazon and whatever else. We don't absolutely have to be watching every new episode of every one of our favorite shows as soon as they come out.

I'm thinking of using a setup like this:

- AT&T U-verse for internet, but without phone or TV I could throw a little more money at it every month for a higher tier - I figure at least 12Mb. I also do a lot of IT-related remote contract work so this would be great for me. (In this area, it's either AT&T, Comcast, or Dish. We've already locked in an appointment time with AT&T for next Monday, and they are booked solid until July 7th so we'd rather not drop them now.)
- Invest in a Roku 3 and sign up for Netflix and whatever other services we need to keep my wife happy (she's the TV fiend of the house).
- Optimize my desktop for streaming media; use a Roku-friendly app such as Plex.
- Figure out the preferred audio/video formats for whatever Roku app I decide to use, and convert my old media files.
- Get one of those paper-thin antennas off Amazon for local OTA channels.

The cost of entry is a little higher, but we'd save SO MUCH MONEY in the long run. It would be a good challenge for me to set up properly, it builds out our home network infrastructure, and it would feel good to support what's still an emerging and growing technology. Plus, we wouldn't be stuck in the Triple Play era and get locked into some bullshit contract again.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

DizzyBum posted:

- Invest in a Roku 3 and sign up for Netflix and whatever other services we need to keep my wife happy (she's the TV fiend of the house).
Just make sure that you browse through what's available on Netflix, Amazon, and especially Hulu Plus before you commit, to make sure enough is available. HGTV in particular seemed to be kind of lacking last time I checked.

For info, Roku will also stream files in these formats off a USB drive.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Plex can stream basically any format if you have a computer available that can run the server.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

drat, my wife isn't willing to let cable go for the 5 or 6 shows she wants, and not all of them are on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. :( Oh well.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
I know it isn't completely cutting cable, but Dish has a really low tier for like $20 a month. Might be worth looking into. It's the "Welcome Back" package, and while you still have the two-year commitment, I don't think the price goes up after a year.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Tell her not to whine so much and read a book instead.

Parlett316
Dec 6, 2002

Jon Snow is viciously stabbed by his friends in the night's watch for wanting to rescue Mance Rayder from Ramsay Bolton
Or make her pay the bill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

DizzyBum posted:

drat, my wife isn't willing to let cable go for the 5 or 6 shows she wants, and not all of them are on Netflix/Amazon/Hulu. :( Oh well.

Not on itunes?