Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Udelar
Feb 17, 2007

as the free-fall advances
I'm the moron who dances

Grimey Drawer
I need some help with something, and this thread kind of seems like it might have the most knowledgeable people to give me advice.

My father-in-law came back home after breaking his hip and doing 3 months in a rehab facility. He's 86, and while his mind is still pretty sharp and quick, he doesn't really have any ability to learn a new process for doing things.

We have a Samsung Smart TV. He likes to watch, pretty much, the stuff he used to watch when it was on TV. Basically he remembers something on the order of 50 shows, give or take, that he enjoys. Think along the lines of Murder She Wrote, the original Adam West Batman, Columbo, original Star Trek, etc. He pays for all the shows he wants to watch. He's led a good life and has significant savings.

Anyway, the thing we're dealing with, is that he can't really handle the navigation that's necessary for finding a show. And, even though I work from home, I can't be his constant TV companion and help him when he wants to put on Columbo for the thousandth time, and it's moved from Freevee to Pluto or whatever. He is capable of using the voice remote on the Samsung, saying the name of a show, and following that to Amazon Prime. But he can't handle having 5-7 streaming services. The Samsung defaults him to VUDU now, and this has kind of been a nightmare because he forgets how to find stuff on Amazon. And navigating the menus is hard for him as he has Parkinson's.

We want him to be comfortable in his final years, months, or however long he has remaining, and this is a major way that he passes the time. Frankly, we much prefer this over what he used to do, which was sit there with Fox News blasting 18 hours a day. Does anyone have advice for how we can help him make this process easier? I've got some time off coming up to help work on a solution for him. We want him to be able to voice search something he knows, go to a single place where his content is, and play it. Is there something like that out there? We're trying to keep him from doing things like wasting his money buying the Spanish version of a movie (he did that recently with Patton) and make use of the streaming services he already has.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU